Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanitation in barbers & hairdressers

Options
  • 12-04-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi

I've been to a few barbers and hairdressers lately with the kids and myself. I'm noticing that often, the scissors and brushes/combs don't seem to be clean!!! - full of hairs...

It's always done so quickly - they just grab the brush etc and use it...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11716642/

I read this article years ago. Does anyone know if decontamination is part of training?

How should I tackle this if it happens again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Yes, in a normal hairdressing salon or barbers shop, they should use freshly cleaned and disinfected combs and brushes for each new client and they will have had to pass an assessment unit on basic standard hygiene practices as part of their training. So definitely call them out and ask them what their cleaning regime involves if you suspect they’re using manky brushes on you.

However, sanitisation and disinfection of hairdressing tools IS NOT the same thing as sterilisation. A hair salon is not a hospital and doesn’t require the same level of infection control.

Hairdressers routinely use products such as barbicide or a spray equivalent to clean and disinfect their tools between clients but as they are not cutting skin or drawing blood, they shouldn’t need to routinely sterilise their scissors or combs.

Also, when doing a basic consultation and running their fingers through your hair, they’re actually looking for signs of infestation such as nits because they won’t be able to continue the service if a client has an infectious condition.

Towels should be washed at a minimum of 60°c and each client should be given a fresh towel. I have known of cheapskate salons where they dry and re-use towels each day and only wash them every couple of days or so. This is unacceptable and again should be reported for poor hygiene practice.
    Naming and shaming on social media might be just as effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

That was very informative thank you.

I'll be more assertive the next time certainly.

Advertisement