Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Diesel Tank

Options
  • 12-04-2019 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Ok, so have an old plastic diesel tank in the yard that hasnt been used in over 10 or more years. Any green diesel that was in it was used up so it would have been lying empty with the exception of maybe a few gallons lying on the bottom of it.

Would it be ok to start using this tank again for storing green diesel? (handier than filling drums every couple of days during the summer or losing a half hour having to head off on the tractor for a fill in the evenings after work).

I will replace the hose and lever etc. I did remove the old hose and lever and the small amount that dribbled out of the tank, didnt look to bad, still had a bit of its colour and smell, but what was in the hose had turned brown.

One thought I had, was that when the lorry came to fill the tank, would be to fill with maybe 10 gallons and then fill that 10 gallons into drums to try and dilute / wash out any bad diesel that might be lying on the bottom.

Any thoughts or suggestions, TIA!
    Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ok, so have an old plastic diesel tank in the yard that hasnt been used in over 10 or more years. Any green diesel that was in it was used up so it would have been lying empty with the exception of maybe a few gallons lying on the bottom of it.

Would it be ok to start using this tank again for storing green diesel? (handier than filling drums every couple of days during the summer or losing a half hour having to head off on the tractor for a fill in the evenings after work).

I will replace the hose and lever etc. I did remove the old hose and lever and the small amount that dribbled out of the tank, didnt look to bad, still had a bit of its colour and smell, but what was in the hose had turned brown.

One thought I had, was that when the lorry came to fill the tank, would be to fill with maybe 10 gallons and then fill that 10 gallons into drums to try and dilute / wash out any bad diesel that might be lying on the bottom.

Any thoughts or suggestions, TIA!

I would empty the few gallons in the bottom into cans and use it to burn bushes etc.

Better be safe than sorry for the sake of a few litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

It's likely that what's left in the tank has a lot of water from condensation forming inside the tank down the yrs. Better to drain the tank completely before refilling.
    My biggest fear is that the tank has developed cracks with age and could leak when it's refilled. You'd want to give it a good examination. If you do refill it and you find it leaking you could rub soap over the cracks as a temporary measure. Personally I'd be buying a new tank. Had a Carbery tank to crack badly after 5 yrs. Even tanks indoors have been known to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Sounds like it might be okay to use the tank again so......I will tip it up over the weekend and get what is left of the old diesel out of it and then rinse the bottom of the tank using approx 10 gallons during the refill process.

The tank actually looks to be in good condition but I will fully determine this when I tip it up etc. New tank is approx 330euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Drain out all old diesel. Powerwash it then and let drain again. Leave it in the sun to dry out fully. I made that mistake of using old diesel before left at the bottom of a tank and I spent weeks bleeding a tractor afterwards. Lesson learned well.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Have a look inside with a torch after you've emptied it. It's possible that there's a lot of black crap in there now. I washed out a tank with the power washer a few years ago. Obviously, you won't reach everywhere while poking the lance in through the filler, but it all helps. Maybe if you got someone with a steam cleaner, they might have something to reach in through small openings that would give a better cleaning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I had an old tank like that give it a good power hose out and reused it again
    the really old tanks are the real deal streets ahead of the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

To check for cracks... go out after dark and put a torch in it. Then walk around and look for any light shining from the inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Empty old liquid out of it. (Not into the drain)

To check for cracks, fill with water.

No cracks -> empty and leave to dry out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Keep the old diesel. Great for seized metal parts, starting fires to burn brush etc etc.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Empty it, fill it with water and watch for leaks for a few days. If its OK, then follow the advice above.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

3 year old thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement