Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewings on my current rental property

Options
  • 12-04-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am moving out of a rental property next month. Estate agent has requested a time slot when they can show potential tenants around the house. I am not comfortable with this while my belongings are still there and have never viewed a house while someone else was living there.

Can I just say no? Will there be any repercussions from this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Well, theres a few things to consider here.

Firstly, you are entitled to whats called 'peaceful enjoyment' of the property which in effect means that you do not have to allow access to the property if you choose not to.

That said, in most leases - check yours, there will be a clause allowing for viewings to be carried out at a time agreeable to you.

By blocking viewings outright, you are then in breach of your lease terms.

Ultimately, you can block the viewings but that may be reflected in your reference so not sure how important that is to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Thanks for that.

There is indeed a clause in the lease regarding viewings. As I work full time there really isn't a suitable time within office hours (when viewings are usually held) and there is no chance strangers are coming to view while I'm not there.

TBH I'm not overly pushed if that is mentioned in the reference so long as that is the only repercussion.

there really isn't a suitable time within office hours (when viewings are usually held) .

I wish my viewings were all within office hours. I'd be surprised if thats correct. You could always say that you are happy for them to go in for an hour or so one evening?

Askthe EA wrote: »
    I wish my viewings were all within office hours. I'd be surprised if thats correct. You could always say that you are happy for them to go in for an hour or so one evening?

I could but I'm not happy for them to show the house at all while myself and my property are there.

I have never been asked to do this before and have never done it myself so that would suggest most people just say no. Am I wrong about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not uncommon.

• Advertisement

Am I wrong about that?

In my experience (and mine only) yes, I've never been refused access at times that the tenants were happy with. But then, I always tried to maintain a professional relationship with tenants of properties I managed so I guess they trusted me.

In my experience (and mine only) yes, I've never been refused access at times that the tenants were happy with. But then, I always tried to maintain a professional relationship with tenants of properties I managed so I guess they trusted me.

What about showing part of the house? As in, they can show ground floor and outside but not the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI Op

you signed a lease, and agreed to its terms. i think your should abide by the legal contract you signed. be reasonable!

how do you think the landlord should get new tenants? should he wait till you are out, and potentially lose months of income because you are 'uncomfortable' with what is a perfectly reasonable request that you agreed to already in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I bet you didn't inform the landlord/agent that you had a problem with that part of the lease before signing it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think you are being unreasonable especially that it is in your lease. The estate agent isn't going to let someone go through your underwear drawer, it is a viewing. People view other peoples houses every day, its part of the reason we have estate agents.

• Advertisement

Firstly, you are entitled to whats called 'peaceful enjoyment' of the property which in effect means that you do not have to allow access to the property if you choose not to.

That said, in most leases - check yours, there will be a clause allowing for viewings to be carried out at a time agreeable to you.

Ultimately, you can block the viewings but that may be reflected in your reference so not sure how important that is to you.

Lease actually ended early this month, I am there for a further month under Part 4, does this change my obligations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Lease actually ended early this month, I am there for a further month under Part 4, does this change my obligations?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

pc7 wrote: »
    I think you are being unreasonable especially that it is in your lease. The estate agent isn't going to let someone go through your underwear drawer, it is a viewing. People view other peoples houses every day, its part of the reason we have estate agents.

I can see why it annoys people, I've been to plenty of viewings where the agent has left us free to wander around the house. Could conceivably have pocketed things from rooms easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

there is no chance strangers are coming to view while I'm not there.
    I could but I'm not happy for them to show the house at all while myself and my property are there.

Who would be a landlord...

this is entirely normal

i dont think an incumbent tenant has ever been in the house when ive viewed

the same way, the landlord would never have let me wander unsurpervised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've viewed several properties while the previous tenants were either there, or their possessions were. I have also left a property while the estate agent wanted to show it to someone in the past.
    I remember one time being shown a bedroom of a prospective rental property and there was a little girl in there reading a book which was kind of crappy and made me want to get out as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It doesn't matter if it is in the lease, you cannot contract out of statutory entitlements. Op is well within their rights to not allow viewings if that is their decision.

Who would be a landlord...

Mod Note

Keep it Civil please.
    we wont bash LL's or tenants if we can help it.
    It doesn't matter if it is in the lease, you cannot contract out of statutory entitlements. Op is well within their rights to not allow viewings if that is their decision.

Thank you for the helpful post.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Mod Note

Do not advise illegal actions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Id say just be a decent person and allow it.

Or, you know, be a bit of an awkward so and so and bang on about your rights and how it makes you slightly uncomfortable and how that should override any sense of decency and being an adult about stuff.

• Advertisement

voluntary wrote: »
    EDIT: + consider swapping the locks if you believe the agent may have a spare set of keys.

That would be a breach of your tenancy and could result in eviction, do not do that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Someone wanting to make money off the backs of the less fortunate?

Who would be a tenant....

Thank you for the helpful post.

What less fortunate. A tenant can live rent free for years and destroy a property with zero repercussions. A landlord can't even show their property without a tenant complaining.

That would be a breach of your tenancy and could result in eviction, do not do that

Why would that be a breach of tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I think you are being unnecessary awkward. Bag up some of your most valuable items and store in your car or elsewhere during viewings.

EDIT: + consider swapping the locks if you believe the agent may have a spare set of keys.

If a tenant of mine was uncomfortable with viewing being held I would (and have done) organize the viewings after they vacate the property. You're well within your rights to say no, I'd play it cute though and wouldn't say that you have a blanket objection to ANY and ALL viewings, just say they have to come up with a time that suits. Then dismiss any suggestions as unsuitable.

The advice in the quote above is a risky manoeuvre. Paying €150 to get the locks changed plus another 150 out of your deposit to get them changed back? Really?

Id say just be a decent person and allow it.

Or, you know, be a bit of an awkward so and so and bang on about your rights and how it makes you slightly uncomfortable and how that should override any sense of decency and being an adult about stuff.

Yeah, question nothing. Good idea.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    What less fortunate. A tenant can live rent free for years and destroy a property with zero repercussions. A landlord can't even show their property without a tenant complaining.

I pay my rent and the house is in better condition than when I moved in so if you could not lump all tenants in to the one anecdote that would be great.

Thanks lads.

Why would that be a breach of tenancy?

Landlord requires emergency access to the property and they are not your locks to go messing with.

Del2005 wrote: »

Landlord is not in possession of the property during rental. It's so obvious he can't just invite people to walk around. I would have thought this is obvious. Tenants move out and then landlord does the viewings. Not the other way around.

Landlord requires emergency access to the property and they are not your locks to go messing with.

Show me the legislation behind this. Locks are pretty much personal. You live in a house you want assurance nobody else has keys. What if landlord hasn't changed the locks after the previous tenants? What if they also have keys?

Anyway, in emergencies there's usually a way in. Break a door or window. Fire brigade can also assist in emergencies.

• Advertisement

Show me the legislation behind this. Locks are pretty much personal. You live in a house you want assurance nobody else has keys. What if landlord hasn't changed the locks after the previous tenants? What if they also have keys?

Anyway, in emergencies there's usually a way in. Break a door or window. Fire brigade can also assist in emergencies.

You want legislation that shows you don't own someone else's house?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement