Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewings on my current rental property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

voluntary wrote: »
    Show me the legislation behind this. Locks are pretty much personal. You live in a house you want assurance nobody else has keys. What if landlord hasn't changed the locks after the previous tenants? What if they also have keys?

Anyway, in emergencies there's usually a way in. Break a door or window. Fire brigade can also assist in emergencies.

LL should be forced to change locks after every tenancy but you know how it would be enforced. Much like the rest of the rules applying to them.

I wouldn't change the locks though, that really is a clear breach of the lease.

Landlord has a duty and obligation to right or repair something in the property that could have a detrimental effect on neighbours etc. Good luck paying out on the water damage to the flat below yours because the landlord couldn't get in after you left the tap running.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LL should be forced to change locks after every tenancy but you know how it would be enforced. Much like the rest of the rules applying to them.

Those rules apply to both Landlords and Tenants. There are bad apples and extremely sour apples in both baskets.

Show me the legislation behind this. Locks are pretty much personal. You live in a house you want assurance nobody else has keys. What if landlord hasn't changed the locks after the previous tenants? What if they also have keys?

You ask to have them changed. Simple.

Next question.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

If a tenant of mine was uncomfortable with viewing being held I would (and have done) organize the viewings after they vacate the property. You're well within your rights to say no, I'd play it cute though and wouldn't say that you have a blanket objection to ANY and ALL viewings, just say they have to come up with a time that suits. Then dismiss any suggestions as unsuitable.

The advice in the quote above is a risky manoeuvre. Paying €150 to get the locks changed plus another 150 out of your deposit to get them changed back? Really?

If you're single then it may be fine. But would you let stranger to your home when you have family with kids? Hell no.

The advice given by the other poster to pack your stuff and put in the car for the time of viewing is just mad.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    What less fortunate. A tenant can live rent free for years and destroy a property with zero repercussions. A landlord can't even show their property without a tenant complaining.

kceire...is this not considered tenant bashing then?

I wouldn't change the locks though, that really is a clear breach of the lease.

Is it written in the lease that you are not allowed to change locks?

If you're single then it may be fine. But would you let stranger to your home when you have family with kids? Hell no.

The advice given by the other poster to pack your stuff and put in the car for the time of viewing is just mad.

Read the first part of my post again, I'm advocating refusing access to allow viewings on an ad hoc basis so that there is nobody allowed into your home whether you are there or not. Changing the locks, however, is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It doesn't matter if it's in the lease or not. Tenants are not allowed to damage property or make material changes. It's not your house, your door or your locks. Additionally landlords require emergency access

Yep.

• Advertisement

Mod Note
    Any more talk on illegal activity will result in a BAN. No warning, no infraction, a BAN.

Changing the locks on a property that you do not own is illegal.

Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2.../en/print.html

16 - In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—
    (l) not alter or improve the dwelling without the written consent of the landlord which consent the landlord

17.—(1) In section 16 —
    “alter or improve”, in relation to a dwelling, includes—
    (a) alter a locking system on a door giving entry to the dwelling,

Landlord has a duty and obligation to right or repair something in the property that could have a detrimental effect on neighbours etc. Good luck paying out on the water damage to the flat below yours because the landlord couldn't get in after you left the tap running.

One of the reasons insurance goes up as soon as you mention the property is going to be rented out.

kceire wrote: »
    Mod Note
    Any more talk on illegal activity will result in a BAN. No warning, no infraction, a BAN.

Changing the locks on a property that you do not own is illegal.

Ok, if that's the case than fair enough.
    Could you point to a regulation saying so though?

Quick googling shows different results, but nothing specifically regarding Ireland.

One of the reasons insurance goes up as soon as you mention the property is going to be rented out.

Not strictly true.
    Landlords insurance can be significantly cheaper as you are only insuring the property and no contents. The contents are the tenants responsibility.

Ok, if that's the case than fair enough.
    Could you point to a regulation saying so though?

Quick googling shows different results, but nothing specifically regarding Ireland.

16 - In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—
    (l) not alter or improve the dwelling without the written consent of the landlord which consent the landlord

17.—(1) In section 16 —

Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/enacted/en/print.html

17.—(1) In section 16 —

Thanks.
    If you don't mind, i'll ad that to my mod post.

17.—(1) In section 16 —

Thank you. I'm surprised to see this but admit being mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

It doesn't matter if it is in the lease, you cannot contract out of statutory entitlements. Op is well within their rights to not allow viewings if that is their decision.
    Thats that then. If she doesn't want to allow access then she does not have to.

ashes2014 wrote: »
    Thats that then. If she doesn't want to allow access then she does not have to.

I have taken a mixture of runawaybishop and shifty's advice. Said I am working solid for the next few weeks and they can get back to me after that. At that point I will again stall until I have moved out.

Thanks to the users mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

What is the purpose of denying access for viewings?

Im not clear what the issue is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Can you not it in the evenings? I always went to viewings after office hours. Or maybe ask them to only let one person/group in at a time and follow them around.

....... wrote: »
    What is the purpose of denying access for viewings?

Im not clear what the issue is?

People poking around your personal belongings isn't everyone's cuppa tea. I've seen people open underwear drawers in bedrooms during viewings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

To all those opposed to viewings, have you ever bought or sold a house? This is pretty normal, it isn't some tinfoil hat conspiracy for weirdos to sniff your jocks. Its how the housing market works for buying, selling and usually renting.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Can you not it in the evenings? I always went to viewings after office hours. Or maybe ask them to only let one person/group in at a time and follow them around.

That was my first thought too, one at a time if you want to allow viewings. But then again, one person may come with family or friends. Would you say one person can enter at a time only so you can watch him while he's walking around?

I wouldn't be comfortable inviting strangers anyway. Even when my friends visit I don't show them the bedroom or wardrobes. You know what happens during viewings, people open wardobes and drawers or anything which can be opened basically.

pc7 wrote: »
    To all those opposed to viewings, have you ever bought or sold a house? This is pretty normal, it isn't some tinfoil hat conspiracy for weirdos to sniff your jocks. Its how the housing market works for buying, selling and usually renting.

In my opinion if the property was designed for further rental then the landlord can wait until I move out before doing the viewings.

If the property was designed to be sold, then this would be a space for negotiation. Landlord could offer a cashback or rent decrease during this time in return for allowing some viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Well, theres a few things to consider here.

Firstly, you are entitled to whats called 'peaceful enjoyment' of the property which in effect means that you do not have to allow access to the property if you choose not to.

That said, in most leases - check yours, there will be a clause allowing for viewings to be carried out at a time agreeable to you.

By blocking viewings outright, you are then in breach of your lease terms.

Ultimately, you can block the viewings but that may be reflected in your reference so not sure how important that is to you.

That lease term is contrary to RTA and cannot be enforced against the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

People poking around your personal belongings isn't everyone's cuppa tea. I've seen people open underwear drawers in bedrooms during viewings.

So lock your underpants in a safe then?

Seriously - who cares?

This is how people view a property - they come in, walk around, open the odd cabinet.

If you are worried about someone seeing your pants hide them in a non accessible place.

Although I cannot imagine why anyone would be worried about someone opening the underwear drawer!! Whats gonna happen, they see your pants - shock horror!!

....... wrote: »
    Although I cannot imagine why anyone would be worried about someone opening the underwear drawer!! Whats gonna happen, they see your pants - shock horror!!

Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't want a bunch of Eastern European builders rooting through my 15 year old daughters knicker drawer.

Disclaimer: I have no such daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Legally, she doesn't have to. So it comes down to-does she want to do something that makes her uncomfortable to suit the estate agent?

I doubt she will-she does not have any obligation to do it. I wouldn't do it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Quite possible the estate agent will want you no where near the property when being viewed. It can be a big turn-off for prospects when some one is shadowing their moves. Tbh the worst is that some one who you will never cross paths with might see some thing and nothing will ever come of it. You can always ask the estate agent to prevent any snooping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement