Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewings on my current rental property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you have precious things, put them away. The owner of the property is entitled to show the property now that you are leaving. They should make suitable arrangements with you & you are entitled to have someone responsible accompany viewers around the property (in this case, maybe the estate agent or the owner). As it stands, your behaviour is odd so I can't see the landlord accepting your presence during viewings.

I don't know about the legal rights here, but socially, you are acting *poorly...

BTW, this is a property you are vacating, not your home. The landlord has provided you a place to live with terms that suited you at the time. Show some decorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I would advise you let them view with you in it, but on your terms (reduced numbers, you being there, etc) and for the following reasons;
    1) You may meet this landlord in the future, either renting or buying/selling and they will remember.
    2) They will look for ANYTHING at all wrong with the property to withhold part or all of your deposit if they LL loses out on a few weeks rent.

The property may well be in better knick now, but if there is a small mark on any paintwork, or a nail in the wall where there wasn't one before, then be ready for this to come back on you.

Personally it wouldn't be a problem for me, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Best of luck to the OP if they ever own a house and try to sell it, while not wanting to leave the house for viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

I cannot believe this post has attracted this many replies and mod interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bluefoam wrote: »
    If you have precious things, put them away. The owner of the property is entitled to show the property now that you are leaving. They should make suitable arrangements with you & you are entitled to have someone responsible accompany viewers around the property (in this case, maybe the estate agent or the owner). As it stands, your behaviour is odd so I can't see the landlord accepting your presence during viewings.

I don't know about the legal rights here, but socially, you are acting *poorly...

BTW, this is a property you are vacating, not your home. The landlord has provided you a place to live with terms that suited you at the time. Show some decorum.

The property owner has no such entitlement, in fact the opposite is true. The op has an entitlement in legislation to peaceful enjoyment of their home. And yes, it is considered their home while they are tenants

• Advertisement

Not sure the reference will be as positive either if it's ever needed. "Paid rent on time but complete pain when trying to re-let it".

No wonder rents are so high... Can't blame landlords taking everything they can get if this is the way they are treated. And its people like the OP who will be effected in the long run. You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The OP is under no obligation to allow viewings, the LL is under no obligation to provide a reference. Personally I try and be as reasonable as possible with people. One or two slots in the evening for an open viewing is reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I’d have the viewings in the evening, when you can at least prevent stealing of your stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

No wonder rents are so high... Can't blame landlords taking everything they can get if this is the way they are treated. And its people like the OP who will be effected in the long run. You reap what you sow.

What are you on about seriously? Would you like strangers looking at your bedroom and walking around it when your not there? Would you like strangers walking past your expensive items in the house, with little or no supervision? If you are a landlord, which I assume you are, get over yourself and your victim mentality.

• Advertisement

Nikki Sixx wrote: »

What are you on about seriously? Would you like strangers looking at your bedroom and walking around it when your not there? Would you like strangers walking past your expensive items in the house, with little or no supervision? If you are a landlord, which I assume you are, get over yourself and your victim mentality.
    No, I'm not a landlord. But, I just think your silly entitled point of view with no compromise or respect for the landlords needs are considered.... Why should he respect his tenants needs in return... He's going to have difficulty by not being able to show the place in advance of occupancy... He might have to make up for one to two months of income. Why shouldn't be make that back by charging as much as humanly possible for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

No, I'm not a landlord. But, I just think your silly entitled point of view with no compromise or respect for the landlords needs are considered.... Why should he respect his tenants needs in return... He's going to have difficulty by not being able to show the place in advance of occupancy... He might have to make up for one to two months of income. Why shouldn't be make that back by charging as much as humanly possible for rent.

Landlords constantly say on this forum that LLs should maximise profit from rentals and extract the most so why should tenants inconvenience themselves and allow something they are not comfortable with that they don't have to? If tenant is happy to pay rent and serve out their notice they have paid for the quiet enjoyment.

I'd personally allow one viewing whilst I'm in the property - you don't know who will turn up and who they are though.

It's different to selling your property aswell - tenant gains nothing by allowing a viewing only a warm fuzzy feeling and maybe a better reference (although in this case it seems the tenant has already secured another property and people are loathe to put anything in writing these days for fear of getting sued)

Also, One or two months vacant in this rental climate?? - yeah right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As a landlord, I wouldn’t hold viewings while there’s a sitting tenant.
    In today’s market, it will be occupied within a week of this tenancy ending so I’d wait for the tenant to leave, go in and see the house empty and decide if anything needs upgrading etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

voluntary wrote: »
    Landlord is not in possession of the property during rental. It's so obvious he can't just invite people to walk around. I would have thought this is obvious. Tenants move out and then landlord does the viewings. Not the other way around.

You clearly haven't rented much or been a landlord then. Generally speaking the ll attempts to advertise maybe 2-4 weeks before a rental ends. The ll will attempt to organize viewing around the tenants availability. Then there is a turnover of 24hors generally before the new tenant moves in.

In this case the tenant is being extremely difficult where they dont want viewing to happen when they are not there(i understand this) and also when they are there. I have no idea about if you were awkward during your tenancy but out of all the tenancies i have had. There is only one that reminds of being awkward like this and i was delighted to have them gone.

Its a two way street also. If you are being awkward with the ll. You can bet the ll may make it “awkward” for you to receive the deposit back or in a timely mannor.

If i were you, just bite the bullet and tell the ll, you can do viewings at x time. Its not like they will be around for hours. More than likely. It will take up 30 minutes of your time and your done.

kceire wrote: »
    Not strictly true.
    Landlords insurance can be significantly cheaper as you are only insuring the property and no contents. The contents are the tenants responsibility.

From my experience, once you say its ll insurance it goes up. I have moved into one or two of my residences converting to ppr and insurance did go up when i converted them back to ll insurance.

Fol20 wrote: »
    From my experience, once you say its ll insurance it goes up. I have moved into one or two of my residences converting to ppr and insurance did go up when i converted them back to ll insurance.

You should shop around.
    My landlord insurance is up on the 24th.

€305. €260k rebuild costs, and alternative accommodation for the tenants should anything happen to the property that seems it uninhabitable.

That’s with Chrome Insurance.
    My PPR is around the €400 plus a little as I have some specified items and all risk and contents.

As a landlord, I wouldn’t hold viewings while there’s a sitting tenant.
    In today’s market, it will be occupied within a week of this tenancy ending so I’d wait for the tenant to leave, go in and see the house empty and decide if anything needs upgrading etc

Thats a week of missed rent. If you run it like a business you can easily minimize void periods such as these and most people are decent where they would allow a 5min walk around for a new tenant.

To put it into perspective, lets say you have a monthly rental rate of 1500. Thats close to 50 a day on rent. If you leave it idle for a week, thats an extra 350 in missed rent so its nothing to scoff at

You should shop around.
    My landlord insurance is up on the 24th.

€305. €260k rebuild costs, and alternative accommodation for the tenants should anything happen to the property that seems it uninhabitable.

That’s with Chrome Insurance.
    My PPR is around the €400 plus a little as I have some specified items and all risk and contents.

I have. If its like for like rebuild costs and contents. Ll insurance is always more. I have had ppr insurance and ll insurance in both apartments and houses fyi and its always more for ll insurance.

If you start modifying contents or rebuild costs. Obviously there will be a difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Some dubious posts (or those quoting them) deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

You clearly haven't rented much or been a landlord then. Generally speaking the ll attempts to advertise maybe 2-4 weeks before a rental ends. The ll will attempt to organize viewing around the tenants availability. Then there is a turnover of 24hors generally before the new tenant moves in.

In this case the tenant is being extremely difficult where they don't want viewing to happen when they are not there(i understand this) and also when they are there. I have no idea about if you were awkward during your tenancy but out of all the tenancies i have had. There is only one that reminds of being awkward like this and i was delighted to have them gone.

Its a two street also. If you are being awkward with the ll. You can bet the ll may make it “awkward” for you to receive the deposit back or in a timely mannor.

If i were you, just bite the bullet and tell the ll, you can do viewings at x time. Its not like they will be around for hours. More than likely. It will take up 30 minutes of your time and your done.

I've done both, rented several places, rented out places. Never organised a viewing during tenancy or never been asked to allow viewing during tenancy.

I've done a viewing though where tenant's belongings were lying around, including family pictures hanging on the walls and toys\baby clothes in one of the rooms. People walked into baby's room in their dirty shoes. Really awkward experience. And there were like 3 couples viewing and they were going through wardrobes to check how big they are inside. Seriously awkward experience. I would never let it happen if that would be me being that tenant.

Also, there's nothing awkward about not wanting strangers walking around my home. Would you let strangers walk around your home? It's the OP's home even though she/he doesn't own it. As long as OP pays the rent and stays within the contract he/she should be left alone.

I can imagine landlord asking nicely for a possibility of arranging a viewing, some people do not mind, that's OK. Also LL should at least offer some refund for disruption or bring a nice bottle with him. Do you also take the full rent off tenant while performing your own business inside the property?

It's a disgrace so many people see this as acceptable behavior and get offended by tenants trying to protect their rights. No wonder landlords have such opinion as they have in this country.

• Advertisement

Thats a week of missed rent. If you run it like a business you can easily minimize void periods such as these and most people are decent where they would allow a 5min walk around for a new tenant.

To put it into perspective, lets say you have a monthly rental rate of 1500. Thats close to 50 a day on rent. If you leave it idle for a week, thats an extra 350 in missed rent so its nothing to scoff at

It's the cost of being in this business. Just accept it and let your tenants live.

It's the cost of being in this business. Just accept it and let your tenants live.
    True & the cost of business gets passed onto the end client. Hence the high rents in the market.

True & the cost of business gets passed onto the end client. Hence the high rents in the market.

Rents are high because of many, many reasons. The main is the very restricted supply. The rents aren't high because tenants do not want to allow strangers walking their homes.

Genuine question. Would you charge tenant rent for the period of time you basically take possession of the property to do the viewings and let strangers in? Does tenant pay you rent for this 1 or 2 hours, or do you at least have enough dignity to refund 1 day or so?

Yeah that’s one way to look at it and from a business side, makes sense.
    On the other side, you have threads like this. I just couldn’t be bothered with the hassle. Again taxes is taken into account, I wouldn’t really be down that full amount so it’s not significant.

Rents are high because of many, many reasons. The main is the very restricted supply. The rents aren't high because tenants do not want to allow strangers walking their homes.

Genuine question. Would you charge tenant rent for the period of time you basically take possession of the property to do the viewings and let strangers in? Does tenant pay you rent for this 1 or 2 hours, or do you at least have enough dignity to refund 1 day or so?
    Are you asking would I return 24 hours of rent in return for 2 hours of slight inconvenience?

Are you asking would I return 24 hours of rent in return for 2 hours of slight inconvenience?

A pro rata rent reduction should be payable as you are removing the tenants freedom of enjoying the property for this period of time.

I’m going to assume the other poster meant a series of viewings over a week or 2 week period could add up to one full day of lost tenant enjoyment of the property.

Tenants should accept that viewings will be required towards the end of a tenancy. It should be in all leases / law.

Guaranteed they have no problem turning up to a viewing of another rental that a tenant is living in. Do they think that owners move into a hotel before they put their homes up for sale? Absolutely bizarre stuff.

I've done both, rented several places, rented out places. Never organised a viewing during tenancy or never been asked to allow viewing during tenancy.

Also, there's nothing awkward about not wanting strangers walking around my home. Would you let strangers walk around your home? It's the OP's home even though she/he doesn't own it. As long as OP pays the rent and stays within the contract he/she should be left alone.

I can imagine landlord asking nicely for a possibility of arranging a viewing, some people do not mind, that's OK. Also LL should at least offer some refund for disruption or bring a nice bottle with him. Do you also take the full rent off tenant while performing your own business inside the property?

It's a disgrace so many people see this as acceptable behavior and get offended by tenants trying to protect their rights. No wonder landlords have such opinion as they have in this country.

If your an individual ll with one property, maybe 350 doesnt mean much to you. How about if you have 5 places and you do the same for all of them. Thats over 1k easy money you can make back.

Yes i have let strangers in with photos up on the wall, my clothes on display etc. Whats the big deal? Unless you are doing something illegal, i couldnt care less about it. Do you really think the perspective tenants care about pictures of you?

Very skeptical your an LL when you offer a rental refund for a taking up 30mins of a tenants time.. all the tenant does normally when i advertise is continue to watch tv or stay in their bedroom when i follow the person around. Their not digging through your stuff. They are quickly looking in each room to see if they like it.

Its a disgrace that ll get offended?? I dont think they are offended, i know im not, its business and you are costing me money by being awkward. Its that simple. i cant see how its a major breach of privacy either tbh. If you have something extremely private, you can always tuck it away for 30mins while viewings are taking place, everything else is irrelevant.

One person's inconvenience is another person's horror. I personally, would likely need to disinfect my baby's room after such event, clean the bathroom, wash bedclothes - you never know who was touching it or what happened in there while you weren't watching.

It's not an office or factory we're talking here. It's somebody's home.

• Advertisement

Yeah that’s one way to look at it and from a business side, makes sense.
    On the other side, you have threads like this. I just couldn’t be bothered with the hassle. Again taxes is taken into account, I wouldn’t really be down that full amount so it’s not significant.

Your right, with taxes, its only half that. You know yourself that the renting game has a lot of tyre kickers that say they will take it only for a few days to drag on and then the renter backs out. By doing it in advance you protect yourself further.

Likewise from a hassle point of view, i can see where you are coming from. I might do the same however depending on my relationship with them. This is not the norm though and most people allow an hour in and their done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement