Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Bank Holidays

Options
  • 12-04-2019 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im posting on behalf of someone.

They are being made to work bank holidays which they dont mind however they are only being given a half day off added to their holidays as compensation which to me sounds wrong as you would get a normal day off anyway.

I might add this is not a small shop, its a big american company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on their weekly working hours. What you are entitled to receive in lieu of a bank holiday is an average working day. The average is calculated over the last 13 weeks.

So for example, if they have worked on average 20 hours a week over the last 13 weeks, then they are entitled to one-fifth of this in lieu of working a bank holiday, i.e. 4 hours.

The main exception to this rule is if the bank holiday forms part of your normal working week. That is, if you only work Mon - Weds, and the bank holiday falls on a Monday, then you are entitled to a FULL day's pay or holidays in addition to being paid for working that day.

If you do not have fixed hours of work (i.e. your work days change often), then the one-fifth rule comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on their weekly working hours. What you are entitled to receive in lieu of a bank holiday is an average working day. The average is calculated over the last 13 weeks.

So for example, if they have worked on average 20 hours a week over the last 13 weeks, then they are entitled to one-fifth of this in lieu of working a bank holiday, i.e. 4 hours.

The main exception to this rule is if the bank holiday forms part of your normal working week. That is, if you only work Mon - Weds, and the bank holiday falls on a Monday, then you are entitled to a FULL day's pay or holidays in addition to being paid for working that day.

If you do not have fixed hours of work (i.e. your work days change often), then the one-fifth rule comes in.

Thanks for the reply.

The person in question works 5 day week of 38 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Then they are entitled to be paid for working, and receive a full day's pay OR a full day's holiday in lieu.

The question is - is this extra half day compensation for working (i.e. overtime), or are they also being paid for working that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

does their contract allow them have American Bank Holidays off instead of the Irish ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

sounds wrong

why would you give up a day off in lieu of only receiving half a day further down the road?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Then they are entitled to be paid for working, and receive a full day's pay OR a full day's holiday in lieu.

The question is - is this extra half day compensation for working (i.e. overtime), or are they also being paid for working that day?

I will ask them.

I purpose they are paid to work the day + half day.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    does their contract allow them have American Bank Holidays off instead of the Irish ones?

Everyone else is off they just keep a few staff for international dealings.

Advertisement