Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wages not paid on time.

Options
  • 12-04-2019 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

My wages are usually in my bank account account a little after midnight every Friday but they have yet to appear. I contacted my bank and it’s not an issue on their side. The company I work for banks with Ulster Bank so I tweeted them and they have no reported issues with payments.

Everyone I work with is in the same boat so the issue is on the company side. I’ve phoned management and only been told that they will find out what the issue is and also emailed the wages department and have had no reply.

What are my rights here if my wages does not go through today? I have bills due and am flying to London this evening so I was relying on payment today.

Would I be entitled by law for my job to sub me a portion of my wages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Been having trouble myself with Ulster bank ,Friday night Saturday morning payments don't arrive till Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

are you due to be paid on Friday per your contract or is it Monday?

a decent employer will admit the error and sub ya but they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

wes16586 wrote: »
    d

Assuming the employer is not the issue here how are they supposed to get the sub to you if they can't even give you the full wage pack!!

By law you are entitled to be paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If you massively need the money for your weekend and if your contract states you should have the money by COP today I would kick up a fuss now, before lunchtime, and demand that they execute a same day transfer to your bank.

If your not in a tight spot.... I would let them come back to you with a valid explanation. I doubt all colleagues bank with Ulster Bank either, it would look to be an issue with your job.

TBH this looks a little dodge and the employer may be in trouble.

If it was'nt the employers fault they would be all over it proactively assuring people that it is not an issue their end.

Management would be doing a lot more about it rather than sending a casual email to accounts.

Just speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

If it was'nt the employers fault they would be all over it proactively assuring people that it is not an issue their end.

Management would be doing a lot more about it rather than sending a casual email to accounts.

Just speculation.

Had thought the same myself.
    Assuming the employer is not the issue here how are they supposed to get the sub to you if they can't even give you the full wage pack!!

By law you are entitled to be paid.

Cash. I work in retail.

Had thought the same myself.

Cash. I work in retail.

Obviously I don't know about your particular company etc but I provide professional services and I have clients in retail. The last 1-2 months has been shockingly bad...it's a bloodbath out there with retailers struggling for life. We only hear about the big ones when they fail

Your company sounds like it may have cash flow problems.

Hopefully not and may have just been Sarah in Accounts who forgot to press the buttons last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

what day does your contract say you,ll be paid on? If its Friday theres still a good part of the day to go so chances are theyll be in tonight or very early hours of the morning

TBH it doesn't matter what the contract says in reality. It still ain't going to get your wages to you on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

TBH it doesn't matter what the contract says in reality. It still ain't going to get your wages to you on time.

he will if his contract says Monday,

used to be in a similar situation where my contract was every 2 weeks on a Monday, we 99% time got it the previous Friday but employer was covered if they were late for Friday because they had til COB Monday to resolve

• Advertisement

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    he will if his contract says Monday,

used to be in a similar situation where my contract was every 2 weeks on a Monday, we 99% time got it the previous Friday but employer was covered if they were late for Friday because they had til COB Monday to resolve

It doesn't matter in the sense that he will not paid for the weekend either way by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This.

My employer has fncked up twice in the last twelve months on getting the salaries out. But in both instances there was an email in everyone's inbox before 9am owning up to the screwup and assuring us that the wages would be paid by the end of the day. Which they were.

Screw ups are understandable, they happen. Nobody will die because their wages are a few hours or even a day late.

But if a company hasn't dropped everything to ensure that the wages get paid ASAP, it usually means that they were expecting this delay (i.e. they have cash flow problems) and are trying to buy time.

In terms of your rights, you would have reasonable grounds to claim compensation for any additional costs incurred as a result of your wages being late. For example, interest on overdue bills or credit card purchases, or overdraft charges. You wouldn't necessarily have any right to get your wages subbed to you because you're going away for the weekend, but I would expect any employer to be reasonable in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

neris wrote: »
    what day does your contract say you,ll be paid on? If its Friday theres still a good part of the day to go so chances are theyll be in tonight or very early hours of the morning

My contract says Friday. Will give the bosses another try on the phone and Hopfully I’ve some good news.

My contract says Friday. Will give the bosses another try on the phone and Hopfully I’ve some good news.

The radio silence from management is deafening and a worry.

Even if is just turns out that someone in payroll who just messed up then it is bad form not to keep you informed. You shouldn't have to chase this.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

They should know - the silence from payroll is a real worry!

I'm paid every Friday, but the transfer is done on a Tuesday evening - therefore they would know by Wednesday if there was any issues and have Thursday to sort out a direct transfer.

Management may be aware of an issue and trying to co-ordinate a response or alternative arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Hmmm, tending to agree here. Management should definitely be more responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

No.

The legal process is as follows:

1. Resolving the dispute with your employer
    You should start by asking your employer to pay you on time and to pay any arrears of pay that are due. If there is a complaint or grievance procedure at your workplace you should use this.

If you cannot resolve the dispute by following your workplace grievance procedure, or if your employer does not have a grievance procedure, you may have to go on to the next stage: making a formal complaint.

2. Making a formal complaint
    Your dispute with your employer is defined as a trade dispute under the Industrial Relations Act 1990. Therefore, it may be investigated by the Workplace Relations Commission.

If you are consistently paid late by your employer, another alternative is to resign and claim constructive dismissal because your employer has breached the terms of your contract. Before you do this, you should always seek legal advice because proving constructive dismissal can often be difficult.

More information: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/when_you_are_regularly_paid_late.html

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Just wondering if you got paid in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Innocent123

ashes2014 wrote: »
    Hmmm, tending to agree here. Management should definitely be more responsive.

I think I'd prefer management to be focusing on solving the problem. By all means keep people updated, but not available to the extent it's distracting from what needs to be done to solve the issue

I think I'd prefer management to be focusing on solving the problem. By all means keep people updated, but not available to the extent it's distracting from what needs to be done to solve the issue

You have staff not knowing if there is a problem with their own bank, the employer's bank or the company.

It would only take 1 short email simply acknowledging there is a problem and they are fixing it- 2 minute job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Yourmama wrote: »
    Just wondering if you got paid in the end?

me too

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Innocent123

You have staff not knowing if there is a problem with their own bank, the employer's bank or the company.

It would only take 1 short email simply acknowledging there is a problem and they are fixing it- 2 minute job.

In full agreement, which is why I said keep staff updated

Advertisement