Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2019 - 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I have a number to give away won't be able to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

omri wrote: »
    I have a number to give away won't be able to make it.
    Hi Omri,
    I'd be delighted to take your number for it.. cheers!!
    P.S... I've sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

How does the waves work. Is it first there starts first?

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

lochdara wrote: »
    How does the waves work. Is it first there starts first?

Yes, first in, first out, but bear in mind that to be first into the pen, you need to be there fairly early, and it's very cold standing around for up to an hour at 6 or 7am.

Dow99 wrote: »
    Hi Omri,
    I'd be delighted to take your number for it.. cheers!!
    P.S... I've sent you a PM

Didn't seem to get anything from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It's Mrs WA's birthday so I don't want to be away too long. I'll probably drive to Whitehall Church and ride over from there.

(If you'd like a lift, give me a shout).

Thanks very much, I think I might take you up on that - for the trip in at least. I’ll send you a pm once I know what I’m doing in the next day or two

I still have a number to give away won't be able to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I see there are separate pens/ start times for the 100/60k routes. I registered for the 100 and got my blue number in the post but I’m thinking of doing the 60k instead and then cycling home to Greystones. Does anyone know if I can wait for the 60k starts or will I have to start with the 100s? On the website it says you have to start with your corresponding number/route “no exceptions”.
    Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

I know if you are not past swords at 10.50 you are directed onto the 60km junction so I assume you can take that one yourself

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

omri wrote: »
    I still have a number to give away won't be able to make it.

:cool:
    Give me half an hour Omri will pm you...

Will have to retract....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a bit of building work going on on the Ratoath Road past cappagh / near tolka valley park. The trucks are are dumping muck and stones on it every day and it hasn't been cleaned once in the last week but for the rain. Just as an FYI. It's mostly going in the opposite direction, but still

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also noticed they're expecting the first finishers at 11.54 (4 hours 20 mins after it starts). I wonder if they'll be ready as the first people were done in about 3 hours last year, and I really hope they've good marshalling once passed kilbride/hollystown as there'll be a few busy roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Does anyone know if I can wait for the 60k starts or will I have to start with the 100s? On the website it says you have to start with your corresponding number/route “no exceptions”.
    Hope that makes sense!
    I can't see them being that strict on the day - many of the 'rules' for sportives are not enforced on the day. Even if they are strict, there's nothing to stop you from joining the crowds a little bit away from the official start. I know lots of cyclists who register for events but don't do the first few kms as they dislike cycling with large numbers with a lot of erratic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's a bit of building work going on on the Ratoath Road past cappagh / near tolka valley park. The trucks are are dumping muck and stones on it every day and it hasn't been cleaned once in the last week but for the rain. Just as an FYI. It's mostly going in the opposite direction, but still
    The roundabout at Java Republic (coming from Kilshane Cross on the 60 km route) has roadworks too. There's temporary ramps which were rough by car, I wouldn't fancy them on a group ride. I don't know if it'll be resurfaced by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Have an entry for the 100 going if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I'm heading down to pick up the registration in Garda Boat Club this evening. No lock for my bike though.

Anyone know what the story is down there? I don't want the rothar nicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

I'm heading down to pick up the registration in Garda Boat Club this evening. No lock for my bike though.

Anyone know what the story is down there? I don't want the rothar nicked!

You'll be able to bring the bike inside with you. Be grand.

My entry is still available (100km).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joshlac

If anyone has spare number to give away I would love to grab one (100k route).
    Please PM me or find me on adverts.ie and comment on any of my ads. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

What time were people passing thru Baldoyle? Won't be doing the cycle but would like to bring the kids out for a wave. Road closures say 8 30 to 10.30 but people should be passing thru earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

site_owner wrote: »
    What time were people passing thru Baldoyle? Won't be doing the cycle but would like to bring the kids out for a wave. Road closures say 8 30 to 10.30 but people should be passing thru earlier?

First wave is meant to leave at 7:30. I would say if you are there at 08:10 you will catch the first group. Second wave leaves at 07:50.

Both of those are the 100km groups - not sure how far behind the 60km will be

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

thegreek wrote: »
    First wave is meant to leave at 7:30. I would say if you are there at 08:10 you will catch the first group. Second wave leaves at 07:50.

Both of those are the 100km groups - not sure how far behind the 60km will be

Nice one, we'll see how the rain is. Good luck to everyone tomorrow in the yellow warning

Weather: according to Wunderground (usually very reliable/accurate), the rain should be reduced to drizzle by dawn and should have eased off or stopped fully by 8/9am. However, the roads will still be very wet from overnight rain, and there will probably be local spot flooding on rural roads.

Mudguards and overshoes FTW.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Really looking forwards to this. It's my first properly organised event and despite having a number of 100+km solo spins, I'm somewhat excited (tomorrow should be about 130km).
    4 years ago this week I had a massive heart attack which probably should have killed me (all better now!). This is my way of giving it the finger!
    Enjoy it everyone!

Really looking forwards to this. It's my first properly organised event and despite having a number of 100+km solo spins, I'm somewhat excited (tomorrow should be about 130km).
    4 years ago this week I had a massive heart attack which probably should have killed me (all better now!). This is my way of giving it the finger!
    Enjoy it everyone!

Yeah nice try heart attack, only made you stronger :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Amazing Seth..

My first time doing this event too. I'm 6 weeks out from a fight so I'm getting light (for me) and had intended aiming for sub 3hrs

However, I've got a small tear in my rotator cuff and a torn AC joint so if you see a guy on a Look crying his eyes out it's likely me and the sub 3hrs is defo not happening, going to ramble and find a few people to tap with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had to call it in Malahide. There's brave and there's stupid so I made the call to bail out there before I tipped into the latter.

Enjoy it everyone!

Just back from it (3hr48m at 27.75km/h) - I got chatting to a guy around Swords, who mentioned that it was his first organised ride, and that he had had a heart attack a few years ago - I asked him does he post on Boards and, of course, it was Seth Brundle! (what are the chances...) - he promptly dropped me* on the drag towards The Naul :D

*We agreed not to stay together if our paces were different, so I waved him off :)

Sorry for your trouble, LollipopJimmy, but you have a year to be on top form for the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Was in group 2 of the 60km. We got held at 20kmph by a garda biker for over 30 mins.
    Very very frustrating. The group behind him got so large it was dangerous.
    The gardai at junctions and light would be waving us through and he was telling us to stop. Complete carnage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just home and showered.
    Door to door it was 137km at 26.8 but my journeys in to and from the park were slow.
    Absolutely knackered now.
    That puddle/flood near the end - FFS :(

It was a pleasure to meet you Type 17!

Advertisement