Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2019 - 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Just home and showered.
    Door to door it was 137km at 26.8 but my journeys in to and from the park were slow.
    Absolutely knackered now.
    That puddle/flood near the end - FFS :(

It was a pleasure to meet you Type 17!
    Yeah, my shoes got soaked on that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If any of ye were coming from ratoath to hollystown just after 11, I might have ye in video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Just home and showered.
    Door to door it was 137km at 26.8 but my journeys in to and from the park were slow.

Likewise! :)
    Diemos wrote: »
    Yeah, my shoes got soaked on that one.

Everyone's shoes got soaked on the appropriately-named River Road :p

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Couple of accidents on the descents. Hope those involved are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Couple of accidents on the descents. Hope those involved are ok.
    Yes that one on the descent of Snowtown looked nasty. Very easy to over-cook that bend.

I went off route on the Estuary Road approaching Swords. Didn't realise it for a while until I wondered where everyone had gone. I followed last year's route and got back on track just past Roganstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Got away close to the top of the 1st 100km wave so didn't get caught in much traffic until close to the end.

Good event and better than last year but the food stop in Naul was rubbish compared to last year with no hot drinks (expect more for €50) and no signage on the steep decline about 3km after the food stop with the sharp left turn at the bottom was dangerous. As I approached two guys on a tandem had crashed and one of them looked fairly badly injured. Hope they're ok.

Here's the spin on https://www.relive.cc/view/vdOR77pZYK6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I got back to the park at 11.10 after latching onto 6 fast guys n gals around Garristown. We were motoring along nicely for most of the last 30+ Km around 38kmh.
    Saw a guy in the ditch on the descent from Snowtown, a few lads were with him already. I was surprised that there were no signs/ Marshall’s there, although one of the crowd might have been one.
    Quite a lot of punctures but luckily none for me. My new velotoze shoe covers worked perfectly and were well worth the gaff to put on.
    Enjoyed the day and the ride home put me at 145km for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Hadn't done the training and boy it showed... Overall the course was much better, and safer, than last year. Got caught in a massive traffic jam coming up to the Halfway House roundabout coming into the Park at the end but apart from that never unclipped. All things considered that's excellent. Agree the stop was very disappointing. Having cycled in in the rain and the dark I was looking forward to a coffee.Saw that tandem crash, I hope the guy being treated comes out OK. Lots of punctures, luckily not me. Great to start and finish in Phoenix Park, even if it meant I did 125km by the time I got home...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've used snowtown before and had warnings on it. The bend in it can very easily catch you if you've never gone that way so surprised to hear they had no warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Enjoyed the spin, did the 100km with not much training and avg 28kmph which I was pleased with.

Defo needed your wits about you with road conditions in parts.

The tandem crash was nasty, they overtook me on that descent and couldn't make the turn, I think mass of two riders didn't help and wet brakes. There was a metal barrier in the ditch which they went straight into. Hope they make a quick recovery :(

There were no marshals there from what I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Enjoyed the 100km, I thought the Guards done well at junctions. Got a bit disorganized at the last 3km by the level crossing where large amount of cyclists and cars were on the same small space. The flood was a right pain. I was expecting the big climb at strawberry beds but it seems they changed the route from last year. The food stop was a joke on the 100km. A bar and banana, no tea/coffee or sandwich. I nearly bonked at 75 km but thankfully i packed a few bits and gels to push me on. 2 hour drive home was tough.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

Weepsie wrote: »
    They've used snowtown before and had warnings on it. The bend in it can very easily catch you if you've never gone that way so surprised to hear they had no warnings

I was very surprised too. There was at least one Marshall at the junction itself who may have been further up the road prior to the accident and had to go to the junction when the accident happened but marshalling isn't enough for such a steep hill with a 90 blind turn at the bottom. It would be so easy and so much safer to have warning/slow signs on the approach with a left turn instruction.

Careless organisation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just home and showered.

Calculated my GDBR speed from a Map My Ride split @ 28.5km/h which isn't too bad.
    Just shows how my rides to and from the park were very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Very badly attended this year. I've done it the past few years and noticable difference in numbers this year. Would be interested to hear the official count if anyone knows?

Riddled with injuries and started a new job recently so literally haven't been on my bike since the turn of the year. Did the 100k in a crap time but my challenge was finishing without bonking or cramp which I just got away with. Can't believe how poor the Naul stop was food wise. Cup of tea/coffee hardly would have cost any extra. Piss poor for €50.
    Good marshalling again as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

54and56 wrote: »
    I was very surprised too. There was at least one Marshall at the junction itself who may have been further up the road prior to the accident and had to go to the junction when the accident happened but marshalling isn't enough for such a steep hill with a 90 blind turn at the bottom. It would be so easy and so much safer to have warning/slow signs on the approach with a left turn instruction.

Careless organisation.

I went over Snowtown before the tandem crash.
    There was no marshal there, when I passed.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    54and56 wrote: »

Careless organisation.

The people (two now that I've had time to recall correctly) I saw there after the crash were attending the injured riders so may have been paramedics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

it was crap when i did it a few years ago, so havent returned. Looking at the route today, is this the first year it came up the river road and ashtown? Who thought a rail crossing and a major roundabout that is a nightmare to try and get out of (the halfway house roundabout from ashtown) in the last few kms were a good idea??

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Eamonnator wrote: »

There were marshals signaling to slow down after that crash, which was good, but obviously not fair to the ones who already crashed.

Does anyone know if the gentleman hit by a car around 7am on the quays near Guinness plant is okay?

retalivity wrote: »
    it was crap when i did it a few years ago, so havent returned. Looking at the route today, is this the first year it came up the river road and ashtown? Who thought a rail crossing and a major roundabout that is a nightmare to try and get out of (the halfway house roundabout from ashtown) in the last few kms were a good idea??
    It was a hell of a lot better than the final few kms of last year. And it's virtually impossible to plot a route for a sportive which starts and finishes in a major urban area without crossing major roads and rail lines.

The Gardai were a lot more pro-active this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Woke up at 6am... heard the rain against the window, rolled over and went back to sleep! Woke up at 8, so got up and joined the route just before Naul. A real shame the weather was not on the organizers side. At the finish the bowl of pasta and coffee was nice but it was too cold to hang around and enjoy the atmosphere. 85k door to door for me. Enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

91km door to door, my first time doing it. A little bit sorry I didn’t try the 100km route but there’s always next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Does it still go up the N32 ? I wouldn’t be paying to cycle along that dump of a road.,. The coastal section is nice though !

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Does it still go up the N32 ? I wouldn’t be paying to cycle along that dump of a road.,. The coastal section is nice though !
    Doesn't go anywhere near the N32.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It did last year though, didn't it? After Baldoyle, up the N32 and the right on the roundabout before the M1/M50.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

2019 GDBR routes...
    http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/routes/

Funny, I must have got stuck behind some other great Dublin bike ride last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Funny, I must have got stuck behind some other great Dublin bike ride last year...

The N32 has two lanes in each direction... doubt the road was blocked. naomh Barroge CC run an event which goes along the N32.

Effects wrote: »
    It did last year though, didn't it? After Baldoyle, up the N32 and the right on the roundabout before the M1/M50.
    Nope - Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Malahide, Swords, last year also - nowhere near the N32.

Nope - Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Malahide, Swords, last year also - nowhere near the N32.

Sorry that’s not true. It may have been the year before last but I definitely saw them on the N32.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think you're just confused. I checked back over my Strava from GDBR from last year and it did go via the N32/R139.

Advertisement