Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2019 - 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There's the stretch on the N32 from last year in the 60km.
    EZEBKVX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

I like the GDBR because it goes to places i would alone not feel comfortable to cycle alone. That said, I dont like linking the Tandem crash to marshaling. It would be very sad, if in a couple of years events like this would be impossible to organise, because there is the expectation that every danger has to be pointed out to the participants.
    p.s: the food stop did suck, i would expect much better than a banana and a chocolate bar for 50 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

marvin42 wrote: »
    I like the GDBR because it goes to places i would alone not feel comfortable to cycle alone. That said, I dont like linking the Tandem crash to marshaling. It would be very sad, if in a couple of years events like this would be impossible to organise, because there is the expectation that every danger has to be pointed out to the participants.
    p.s: the food stop did suck, i would expect much better than a banana and a chocolate bar for 50 euros.

I wouldn't put the tandem crash down to marshalling, some well placed "slow" and "sharp left turn in 200m" types signs would have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Personal responsibility comes into it too, tearing down a hill you don't know on a tandem is not exactly advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I did the 60km. A small thing, but i would have loved a cup of tea at the pit stop around the 46km mark. Still nice to get the bit of food though.

• Advertisement

marvin42 wrote: »

Did they not offer sandwiches this year?
    Last year I had to pull the ham off the cheese and ham sandwiches. Being a vegetarian that doesn't eat eggs!
    But yeah, I thought the food could have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I did the 60km. A small thing, but i would have loved a cup of tea at the pit stop around the 46km mark. Still nice to get the bit of food though.

With a tailwind and slight downhill, and <20kms to go, I didn't see any point in pulling in at the stop for the 60km route. If that could've been placed closer to halfway, it'd have been ideal, but maybe that wasn't possible.

With a tailwind and slight downhill, and <20kms to go, I didn't see any point in pulling in at the stop for the 60km route. If that could've been placed closer to halfway, it'd have been ideal, but maybe that wasn't possible.

It was too close to the end. I needed the sustenance however, i was flippin starved. My legs also needed a bit of a break too. I hadn't done that many long cycles this year and was finding the pace a bit tough.

Whatever the complaints about a few missing signs at some roundabouts, or marshalls, or the food, I gotta say I think the jersey is sweet - a really nice fit and kinda reminds me of mid-00s Team Liquigas colours. For that alone to me it was worth the price of admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Whatever the complaints about a few missing signs at some roundabouts, or marshalls, or the food, I gotta say I think the jersey is sweet - a really nice fit and kinda reminds me of mid-00s Team Liquigas colours. For that alone to me it was worth the price of admission.

I thought the jersey was extra?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alkers wrote: »
    I thought the jersey was extra?
    It was and they sold out apparently.

It was and they sold out apparently.

Yeah, you're right, my mistake. But still worth the price of the jersey. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

First time doing any sort of organised cycle, done the 60km one and absolutely loved it.
    Just seen one downed cyclist on the Ratoath Rd at the junction into Scribblestown. She was sitting up and moving but in a lot of pain and there must have been some cuts.
    I seen that on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nope - Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Malahide, Swords, last year also - nowhere near the N32.
    Hal3000 wrote: »
    Sorry that’s not true. It may have been the year before last but I definitely saw them on the N32.
    Effects wrote: »
    I think you're just confused. I checked back over my Strava from GDBR from last year and it did go via the N32/R139.

My Strava from last year.

Myself and thousands of others must have taken the wrong route then so! :pac:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1860484319

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

60k vs 100k route is the difference I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Never mind all that, I want to know, is the N32 really a dump of a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Eamonnator wrote: »

It is if your cycling yes. In a car its a two lane drag strip!

(BTW its now called the R139)

https://goo.gl/maps/6L1bW1dwFj6iKcWy6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not pleasant to drive, let alone cycle. however, i would hope the marshalling/garda presence on the GDBR might make it a bit more sane to cycle on than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Its main claims to fame are: it's very straight, and for years it had bus lanes painted on the road, but no bus services (still has no bus services afaik).

Yeah, you're still confused. There was two different routes, with different distances. The shorter route took the N32. So you'll have to retract your statement. :D

• Advertisement

Horrible road. I wouldn't cycle it by choice. As mentioned, cars drive fairly fast on it and you'd get a lot of close passes.
    A lot of dumping goes on along a stretch of it as well, so not pleasant to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I used to cycle along it as part of my commute. Hated it!

Cycling from west (airport) to East (Malahide road), if the traffic lights at the westend of the road were red, all the cars had to stop. Once the lights went green, it was like the "charge of the light brigade" as about 20 or 30 cars came barrelling along at 100+k behind me! A close pass at 30-40kph is bad, but at 100+k its terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

What's the story with all the photos that were taken at the start? Are they posted somewhere online? There were a lot of paparazzi out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I got an email yesterday evening with a link to my pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got an email with a link to somebody else's pics, the number is wrong. I put my number on my seatpost and it was only when I saw how they do the pics that I see why they wanted them on the handlebars. I'm not that concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

you will find your pics in the lost and found section.. just scroll through a lot of pics and you can tag your number

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There are 2649 pages of photographs, with 16 photos per page, in the lost and found section.
    I suspect, there may have been something amiss with their number recognition system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I didn't get an email, and I also put the number on my seatpost as it was in the way on the handlebars so I doubt I'll ever find any pictures.
    If you could advance through the pictures it might be better, but I don't have the time or patience to click on each picture in turn to find a picture of me with my eyes closed, or looking away...

• Advertisement

A colleague of mine bought the pictures and somehow ended up with a few snaps of me :)

Advertisement