Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2019 - 29/09/19

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Is there any form of facial recognition that can search, similar to facebook, or how the iPhone groups your photos cased on the person in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How do these events cope with traffic or busy/possibly hazardous roads like the R139 mentioned?

Apart from the lack of some safety signs and crappy food for the money, I would have liked to have participated in the 60km. Hoping to do a few easier sportives next year, I'll probably keep an eye on the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I'm probably going to offend somebody here, but why on why were we taken to through one of the worst areas of Dublin in the final few kms.
    Surely we should be using this event to attract oversea's tourist entries???

Ride London can close down all the roads in London for their event (which is 160km) & Dublin cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

To be honest Gdbr are not evening listening. They responded to 2 positive comments on thread and ignored the rest that were negative. They gave a discount code a few days before the event and are now selling off their stock of jerseys. Next year they wont put a year on them so they can re use for 2021. Those jerseys probably cost them a tenner based on the quantity they ordered and the original price was 50 euro. If they want people next year they need to reduce the price or seriously up their game.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Effects wrote: »
    Is there any form of facial recognition that can search, similar to facebook, or how the iPhone groups your photos cased on the person in it?
    a) bleedin' expensive
    b) you need a database of known faces already, to search against. i.e. it'd be easy enough to say 'this is a face' but you also need to know whose face it is to perform a match, and it's access to that info which would be the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lochdara wrote: »
    To be honest Gdbr are not evening listening. They responded to 2 positive comments on thread and ignored the rest that were negative. They gave a discount code a few days before the event and are now selling off their stock of jerseys. Next year they wont put a year on them so they can re use for 2021. Those jerseys probably cost them a tenner based on the quantity they ordered and the original price was 50 euro. If they want people next year they need to reduce the price or seriously up their game.

didnt Cycling ireland bail it out 2 years ago ? last year i think it made money, i supsect with the offers running to this years event it wasnt even close to a sell out , guess we will find out at the agm.

mind i was at the worlds in harrogate that weekend and they were reducing the t-shirt prices on the saturday (still too expensive mind)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they picked a bad weekend to try to sell t-shirts in harrogate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

a) bleedin' expensive
    b) you need a database of known faces already, to search against. i.e. it'd be easy enough to say 'this is a face' but you also need to know whose face it is to perform a match, and it's access to that info which would be the issue.

On finisher pics you can use the face in one of the images it identifies as being you from your number and it scans the unallocated images using that face...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dow99 wrote: »
    I'm probably going to offend somebody here, but why on why were we taken to through one of the worst areas of Dublin in the final few kms...
    I'm curious to know what area you were taken through? You make it sound like you were brought through Aleppo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was wondering why we only stayed on the North side and strayed into Meath when it's called the great DUBLIN bike ride...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was wondering why we only stayed on the North side and strayed into Meath when it's called the great DUBLIN bike ride...

The only non-city parts of south dublin are pretty hilly and may be a stretch too far for the average gdbr cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It couldn't be Great and Dublin at the the same time, so they add in a dash of Meath to give it that little bit of greatness.

More accurately, it should be called The Great Meath and dublin Bike Ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Eamonnator wrote: »

It couldn't be Great and Dublin at the the same time, so they add in a dash of Meath to give it that little bit of greatness.

More accurately, it should be called The Great Meath and dublin Bike Ride.

Given the state of the non food food stop i think it should be called The Cheapskate's Dublin Bike Ride!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Could you repeat that, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Could you repeat that, please.

Sorry, don't know how it posted twice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Survey details being sent to all participants.

I also note me starring* in the GDBR video at 1:53...

* grinning like a feckin eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ha I've spotted a few I know there but still not myself, as I said I had my number on the seatpost and only went from the start to Malahide (stupid injury, I'd shake my first if it didn't cause pain! :(:o )

I also note me starring* in the GDBR video at 1:53...
    nah, i think that's a young alan titchmarsh.

nah, i think that's a young alan titchmarsh.
    Woo hoo. Feels great to be considered young!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Aww it's lovely how happy everyone is in that. Cycling rocks.

• Advertisement

Just received an email from GDBR offering to buy one of the jerseys that they had previously sold out of (now @ € 36.58):
    Hi there,

It's Black Friday sale time!

Didn't get your hands on one of our Great Dublin Bike Ride jersey's this year?

Well now's your chance! We are having a massive Black Friday sale with 40% off.

Get yours now using code at check out:

'BF40

Great Dublin Bike Ride Team

SHOP NOW

Advertisement