Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else experience exceedingly long delivery times from deliveroo?

Options
  • 12-04-2019 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I've been ordering for more than a year now but within the past 3 weeks their deliveroo times have skyrockted. With two orders i've been waiting close to an hour and a half for the rider to reach the restaurant. Today it took 2 hours.

After I place an order I get a message saying "Still assigning a driver." Then "Driver heading to restaurant" shows up but only for a brief amount of time then it goes back to "Still assigning a driver" This happens over and over (and over) again.

2 weeks ago I waited 90 minutes for the rider to get to the restaurant, then the order got cancelled automatically by deliveroo and I got some credit. Last Saturday I was waiting almost 90 minutes again before the Driver actually got to the restaurant. Now today I waited 2 hours before the driver arrived at the restaurant. I kept getting the "Still assigning a driver > Driver heading to restaurant > Still assigning a driver" loop over and over again.

I even have deliveroo plus where I pay €10 a month and I get free delivery and at times special offers. I'm really thinking of cancelling right now, the service has been appalling. I was really hungry when I placed my order today, after almost 2 hours I was famished and I had a sandwich due to me being almost certain the order would be cancelled due to the amount of time that passed plus the order that got cancelled automatically after an hour and a half previously.

Then driver arrived at the restaurant, so when he got to my place I wasn't very hungry anymore. That defeats the whole purpose of ordering food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same restaurant? Riders avoid certain places that are known to not be ready or pack poorly. A bad one would leave you picking from a minority of riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Do you tip??
    If I was a rider I would probably be slow to take on jobs for a known non tipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Here's a crazy idea, why not hop on a bicycle and cycle to you're restaurant of choice, pick up you're order and cycle back, you'll be famished after that and enjoy the food even more, plus you'll get to experience what the Deliveroo people have to do, just pick a day when it's not raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Here's a crazy idea, why not hop on a bicycle and cycle to you're restaurant of choice, pick up you're order and cycle back, you'll be famished after that and enjoy the food even more, plus you'll get to experience what the Deliveroo people have to do, just pick a day when it's not raining.

Heres another
    Cook it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Some great tips

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I'm boycotting that company till they do something about their reckless delivery cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

eurokev wrote: »
    Do you tip??
    If I was a rider I would probably be slow to take on jobs for a known non tipper.

This isn't America, why should we need to tip? Are they not paid appropriately for the work they do? Do you tip your postman at Christmas too?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

what a tool :rolleyes:
    I've been ordering for more than a year now but within the past 3 weeks their deliveroo times have skyrockted. With two orders i've been waiting close to an hour and a half for the rider to reach the restaurant. Today it took 2 hours.

After I place an order I get a message saying "Still assigning a driver." Then "Driver heading to restaurant" shows up but only for a brief amount of time then it goes back to "Still assigning a driver" This happens over and over (and over) again.

2 weeks ago I waited 90 minutes for the rider to get to the restaurant, then the order got cancelled automatically by deliveroo and I got some credit. Last Saturday I was waiting almost 90 minutes again before the Driver actually got to the restaurant. Now today I waited 2 hours before the driver arrived at the restaurant. I kept getting the "Still assigning a driver > Driver heading to restaurant > Still assigning a driver" loop over and over again.

I even have deliveroo plus where I pay €10 a month and I get free delivery and at times special offers. I'm really thinking of cancelling right now, the service has been appalling. I was really hungry when I placed my order today, after almost 2 hours I was famished and I had a sandwich due to me being almost certain the order would be cancelled due to the amount of time that passed plus the order that got cancelled automatically after an hour and a half previously.

Then driver arrived at the restaurant, so when he got to my place I wasn't very hungry anymore. That defeats the whole purpose of ordering food.

Ya I tried doing an oprder saturday at 6 pm. Got the usual notifications. WAs given a delivery time of 7pm. Come 7.45pm nothing. So i got onto their live chat service where I was told "sorry we are very busy and have no riders at the moment/you are too far away (togher).......you will just have to wait" I said if there arent enough riders, then do not accept the order byt that was dismissed immediately.

I wont be bothering again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Here's another wacky idea:
    Phone the restaurant direct and let their own driver deliver the food. Then they don't get screwed by delivery app commission charges and you might get better value on the meal. Also any complaints can be accurately targeted.

Joe Duffy did a feature on the excessive charges the delivery companies charge restaurants. Very heavy-handed treatment.
    Some restaurants had to charge the customer more to compensate, one restaurant offered free rice to the customer to encourage direct orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Here's another wacky idea:
    Phone the restaurant direct and let their own driver deliver the food. Then they don't get screwed by delivery app commission charges and you might get better value on the meal. Also any complaints can be accurately targeted.

Joe Duffy did a feature on the excessive charges the delivery companies charge restaurants. Very heavy-handed treatment.
    Some restaurants had to charge the customer more to compensate, one restaurant offered free rice to the customer to encourage direct orders.

Wow, if only I had thought of that. Perhaps there would not be a place in the market for the likes of deliveroo and justeat if everyone delivered. The likes of Boojum, nandos etc dont offer delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

This isn't America, why should we need to tip? Are they not paid appropriately for the work they do? Do you tip your postman at Christmas too?

Yes
    He's been delivering on my street for 15 years no matter the weather.
    And I tip fast food delivery drivers too.
    Not compulsory, but my choice.

Anyway
    Back to OP
    I've no experience of deliveroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

I've had no issues. Douglas restaurants.

Fwiw, I tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are they not paid appropriately for the work they do?
    Deliveroo drivers? I'd say they aren't paid well and are treated badly by the company they work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My point is that they should be paid adequately, and tipping culture is part of the problem. We're not the US with their abhorrent labour laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

My point is that they should be paid adequately, and tipping culture is part of the problem. We're not the US with their abhorrent labour laws.

I don't tip them myself. And to be honest, what if I was to tip and then I get in and open it up and it's cold and been sloshed around the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

One or two €uros won't break anybody. If its a difficulty financial transaction, get off your high & mighty ass and cook.

Sorry
    Forgot to add, deliveroo riders earn €40 per hour, if they can get 10-15 delivery's at 500 km per hour. Easy peesy.

Sorry
    Have to laugh at ................

Tom44 wrote: »
    One or two €uros won't break anybody. If its a difficulty financial transaction, get off your high & mighty ass and cook.

Sorry
    Forgot to add, deliveroo riders earn €40 per hour, if they can get 10-15 delivery's at 500 km per hour. Easy peesy.

Sorry
    Have to laugh at ................

Tipping is absolute nonsense and I totally disagree with it. Nobody tips me when doing my job so why should I tip people doing theirs? I wouldn’t care if it was only 10 cent it’s the principal of the thing. I pay for a service why should I have to pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Tipping is absolute nonsense and I totally disagree with it. Nobody tips me when doing my job so why should I tip people doing theirs? I wouldn’t care if it was only 10 cent it’s the principal of the thing. I pay for a service why should I have to pay more.
    Tipping is a weird concept in many ways. Some people, in the US, heavily rely on it for their income. But it promotes good service. Over here, it doesn’t come with the high service (that I’ve experienced).
    If the food is late, not to standard, or bad service; why tip? I don’t have an issue with tipping when it’s merited, but I won’t tip for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

As regards the suggestion to use the restaurants own delivery staff, I thought deliveroo was only used by restaurants that didn't or couldn't afford to take on delivery staff themselves. Why would a business pay for both their own staff and Deliveroo?

Never used it myself but it sounds like a very unpredictable service going by the reports here. It seems like the drivers are selective in both the addresses they wish to deliver to and the restaurants they collect food from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Did anyone see the program on the BBC or C4 about Deliveroo and Just eat, well worth a watch if you didn't.

I've always tipped delivery drivers, they're not earning big money ffs, the same with restaurant and bar workers.
    The cost of living here is pretty high and can't be easy on low income workers, I'd hope the tips they get add up to help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Tipping is a weird concept in many ways. Some people, in the US, heavily rely on it for their income. But it promotes good service. Over here, it doesn’t come with the high service (that I’ve experienced).
    If the food is late, not to standard, or bad service; why tip? I don’t have an issue with tipping when it’s merited, but I won’t tip for the sake of it.

Very weird indeed.
    We don't tip nurses, doctors, carers, cleaners etc.
    Only delivery drivers and waiters?????
    Sure mcdonalds staff deliver food to the tables nowadays and no one tips them.

And if pr1cks are slow delivering on purpose because of a lack of tips. They are obviously sh1t at their jobs and don't deserve the tips anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I always tip... i can't help myself.

If some poor guy is going to cycle in the rain to my house with my dinner on his back for a poor wage there is no way he is walking away without a few quid.

What kind of miserable ape wouldn't tip a few euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

McTigs wrote: »

If some poor guy is going to cycle in the rain to my house with my dinner on his back for a poor wage there is no way he is walking away without a few quid.

If you want to tip, it's up to you. It doesn't make anyone a "miserable ape" just because they don't. Lower your inflated ego. If you order something, and you pay the price for it as advertised, there is no obligation to tip. If the service is poor, late, or the food/purchase is of low quality; then I'm not tipping.

McTigs wrote: »

I wouldn’t, they took the job, they know the wage. Tough s*it, I’ve better things for spending my money (none of which is gained by receiving tips) on.

I tip no one, not in restaurants, not in the barber or not a in taxis etc etc.

Advertisement