Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcode Scanner / Excel

Options
  • 12-04-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone

I am currently using an Excel based spreadsheet to carry out stocktakes for businesses.

I would now like to introduce a barcode scanner and create a master database.

Is it possible to integrate a barcode scanner into my existing spreadsheet or do I need to start from scratch.

I haven't approached any IT companies as they are quite expensive.

Any ideas.

I welcome any questions or ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

A barcode scanner is very simple all it does is enter the scanned characters in the barcode into whatever is selected whether it be a spreadsheet, stock system or browser address bar and return to next line. A cheap scanner for twenty quid off Amazon does the job for things like that it needn't be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaveJoyce

markdavid wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I am currently using an Excel based spreadsheet to carry out stocktakes for businesses.

I would now like to introduce a barcode scanner and create a master database.

Is it possible to integrate a barcode scanner into my existing spreadsheet or do I need to start from scratch.

I haven't approached any IT companies as they are quite expensive.

Any ideas.

I welcome any questions or ideas.

If you are doing stock takes for other business you need to take the software you are using extremely seriously.

I have worked with several companies who perform stock takes and have created a few systems for it

Depending on the businesses you are working with, what I normally see is the stock takers take an export with every possible barcode, outer case code. They then load that into their database and use PDA (or more often now Android devices with integrated barcode scanners). This allows them to stock take a standard store in a day

For speed and accuracy I would recommend Android Hand Held Scanners with stock taking software.

You can drop me a DM if you want to talk more

Dave

Turbo Inventory ERP

Helping you sell more, more often

Advertisement