Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Conditions - Maternity Leave

• 12-04-2019 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi All,

Met with solicitor on weds and signed contracts etc. Hope to have keys for end of the month as mortgage protection and house insurance etc all ready to go.

There was a condition noted in the loan offer that two FULL payslips were required for myself. I explained to the solicitor that this had been ironed out with local branch(PTSB) and it was due to me being on full paid maternity leave and I am the main earner, local branch confirmed items fine as we would be drawing down before I go back to work in July and my employer has confirmed my return to work dates and 2 full payslips wouldn’t be available until September which is too far away as we wanted to draw ASAP.

I emailed my contact in the local Wednesday after leaving solicitor just to confirm this condition is no longer an issue, no response yesterday and left a vm this morning as unavailable.

I get an email at 5.50 this evening, outside office hours so conveniently can’t call back to advise that UW will not let us draw down the mortgage until I am physically sitting back in my office, so mid July. She had this information from the outset yet failed to relay this and advised us all is good to go and to go house hunting. All verbal to so no trail. She relayed that their fear is I will leave the job after my maternity leave. I have been with my employer for 10 years so it’s not like I have a track record of leaving jobs.

I am fuming to get to this stage and for this condition to be noted from the outset but not relayed to us. contact advised she will speak with head office to see if anything can be done and allegedly will call me Monday.

It’s quiet a low mortgage so their cash back offer alone is 5 months worth of repayments.

I suppose my questions are are all providers going to have the same condition if I go elsewhere? Is this the norm for main earners who are on maternity leave? Is there anything I should or can do in this situation?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Start with a formal complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can I ask why two payslips are not available? I got payslips on maternity leave.. so would have expected that to be the norm. (even though they did not pay full leave). Maternity is protected leave.

It does sound like discrimination if the message is that maternity leave is a risk for them and they don’t support it. Get that in writing and speak to your solicitor about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

pwurple wrote: »
    Can I ask why two payslips are not available? I got payslips on maternity leave.. so would have expected that to be the norm. (even though they did not pay full leave). Maternity is protected leave.

It does sound like discrimination if the message is that maternity leave is a risk for them andGet that in writing and speak to your solicitor about it.

Current payslips are available and have been provided but they want 2 without social welfare mat pay noted to allow us draw down, we have approval on that condition

Meeting with solicitor on Monday anyway to sort out our will so have sent him on her lovely mail, hope to have spoke with ptsb head office/UW myself prior to meeting with sol to see what the actual story is as local branch is useless

I thought it was discrimination myself but then thought I was reaching. Don’t know what more they can ask for. I’ve said I’m returning to work, my employer has confirmed same with dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Normally there is never an issue with drawing down funds when on maternity leave, lenders happy with a letter from employer confirming due date back to work. I would submit your two most recent payslips with the Social Welfare on as otherwise they should have a condition on that you cannot drawdown the mortgage until you return to work.

I think a letter/email from your Solicitor should sort this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

We drew down our mortgage with KBC when I was on maternity leave. This was in 2008 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 DecRyan1976

Did you ever get this issue resolved as we are in exactly same position today with same Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Did you ever get this issue resolved as we are in exactly same position today with same Bank?

Yes, got the issue resolved and drew down with PTSB quiet quickly after above post.

Not proud but I cited discrimination and prejudice and waited in their branch until loan manager would speak with me. In the end the local advisor apologised for the miscommunication and confirmed the issue with on their end for not making us aware of condition from the outset. We allegedly got an exemption from the underwriting department in this instance as a gesture of goodwill.

I would suggest hold your ground and kick up a fuss, sad that it has to come or that but it was our only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DecRyan1976

That information is very much appreciated. Waiting for the Official loan offer papers and see the way they have it worded. Really depressing as we are currently sale agreed.

Advertisement