Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP property sale (sitting tenants)

Options
  • 12-04-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I have been renting an apartment for less than a year on HAP and the property has just been sold with all residents in the complex as sitting tenants. I don't know whether the other residents affected are on HAP or not. I'm just wondering if this might affect my rights in any way, i.e. could I be asked to leave sooner than the usual two years minimum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

You should take legal advice on your particular lease and contract regarding HAP.

But briefly, your lease is protected by the RTA and subject to tenancy termination procedures and the new owner has purchased the property maintaining the tenancy. So no change in circumstances.

However HAP is not a property right transferred with the sale (but the new landlord cannot discriminate on the basis of HAP). You should expect a new HAP agreement.

Unless the previous landlord was a company and the company has been sold in which case there is no legal change in the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has your LL given you the contact details of the new owner, and has the new owner given you their bank details where the money will now go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

the_syco wrote: »
    Has your LL given you the contact details of the new owner, and has the new owner given you their bank details where the money will now go?

Yes, and I rang the new owners ... I was told that the only change for us is that rent will be paid into a different bank account from next month, and that I'll receive details in the post in the next few days. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that they can't change their mind and kick us out at short notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes, and I rang the new owners ... I was told that the only change for us is that rent will be paid into a different bank account from next month, and that I'll receive details in the post in the next few days. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that they can't change their mind and kick us out at short notice!
    You could ring the CC, and check if paperwork needs to be updated, but you could just be rocking the boat.

Advertisement