Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about a gun

Options
  • 12-04-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'm looking for some advice.

My friend recently got into target shooting. He has purchased a walther gsp after being told it was the best gun for target shooting. He paid €1100 and was told this was a steal that was worth more than twice that. Also it has not been imported for him. He bought it from somebody that has had it for years.

The problem is I have found one online that looks identical with same markings and only a couple of numbers different in the serial number. It's a 1970 model and costs 400 dollars.

Does €1100 sound right? Is the gun worth twice as much or was he taken for a ride?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

You can't compare US prices to Europe let alone Ireland. Nearly all guns are double the price. See if you can find one for sale in egun or similar sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aiwaz

I would echo the above and check egun, mint GSP's in an around €600/700

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As the guys have said above Ireland, to no surprise, is not like any other EU country when it comes to firearm prices.

Without knowing the guns history, condition, extras, etc. its hard to be sure if your friend paid too much, but i can tell you that i've had this line of thought more than once. A few examples:
    1. Ruger Precision Rifle. In the states can go from $1,100 to $1,500 (thats €950 to €1,350). When they first came out here they were €1,600, and now you won't get a look at one for under €2,200. Thats $1,800 to $2,500. A 60% mark up on US prices.
    2. Savage TRR-SR. When it came out here it was starting at €800 ($900). In the states they were an average of $450 (€395). Over 100% mark up on US prices.

Its not just firearms either. Scopes, ammo, etc. all cost far less in the states than here, and in general can cost less in Europe than here. The problem we have is a combination of taxes, import duties (where applicable), our gun laws, and in some cases the RFDs just charging more.

It's always a good idea to look around before buying and i don't just mean a couple of shops. Online, at ranges, by talking to others. Some people can be unscrupulous and if they bought a firearm when the initial price was low but has since risen will take advantage of that and charge a higher second hand price that could actually be more than the price they originally paid for it.

It's why we have the saying Caveat Emptor.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Great points above and yes please stop teasing yourself at the prices in the US. It is important to point out that a new GSP in the US is 2k !! http://www.carlwalther.com/gsp.htm

Comparing prices to egun can be a bit redundant too.
    There are several reasons why Egun is also a bad example but to start the cost in shipping firearms is only going 1 way..... UP !

It also has to be considered that the price you see on Egun is what your dealer is getting it for (if not higher) ..... they then have to add shipping and mark up.

I know this pistol wasn't a recent import but that still effects the price and keeps it high.

Without knowing the condition/accessories that came with your friends gun I would say that it is a fair if not good price. The GSP pistols have far more accuracy potential and build quality than many of the scaled down .22 service pistols such as the 1911 .22s, Mosquito's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eagleone

Thank you for the feedback. The gun doesnt have a mark on it and came with two magazines. He said it does seem very accurate and it has not jammed or anything on him once.

I guess he did get a good deal. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

And go and slap who ever told him the GSP was the best gun for target shooting, Pardini SP and I don't really mean slap them maybe poke them in the ribs HARD lol.

Your friend has a good accurate pistol get him to test different standard velocity ammo brands in it and see what it likes, the high end priced ammo should group better for competitions.

Advertisement