Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin visit, would I need a city centre hotel?

Options
  • 13-04-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭

Considering a family trip to Dublin for day or two over Easter.

Plans visits so far would be GPO, Kilmainham jail and Glasnevin cemetery.

Would I be best getting a city centre hotel, or could I save some money by staying further out.

We'd have a car with us, so would need parking as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

NIMAN wrote: »
    Considering a family trip to Dublin for day or two over Easter.

Plans visits so far would be GPO, Kilmainham jail and Glasnevin cemetery.

Would I be best getting a city centre hotel, or could I save some money by staying further out.

We'd have a car with us, so would need parking as well.

Not sure what budget you're looking at but The Skylon in Drumcondra would tick a lot of boxes, close to Glasnevin, has car parking and many buses to the city centre pass by with the stop directly opposite the gate. M1 motorway only 5 minutes up the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good shout jay, I pass that any time I come into Dublin, never stayed in it.

will check it out, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d recommend Collins barracks. It’s a great museum for families

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Red Cow?

Luas is right there to take you to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'd go Skylon over the Red Cow. The Luas from Tallaght takes a good while to get in and isn't cheap if you take the whole family.

• Advertisement

I got a great price on the Harcourt Hotel, but anyone know if there's any car parks within walking distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I got a great price on the Harcourt Hotel, but anyone know if there's any car parks within walking distance?

The College of Surgeons car park is about a 5 minute walk away, and as far as I know they have an arrangement with the Harcourt Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Stephen's Green shopping centre, Fitzwilliam Hotel & College of Sugeons all close by.

Fitzwilliam is never that busy & is the one I'd frequently use.

Harcourt St. can be noisy, so check mention of that on tripadvisor.

Yeah I stayed in the Harcourt myself many moons ago, and I was over the front street and there was a disco til 3am or later.

I was younger in those days and was not with kids, so didn't mind!!

But with 3 in tow now, I think a bit of peace and quiet would be nice. Its a Monday night I'd be travelling probably, would they have late disco's on a Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

Castleknock Hotel, parking is free.
    It's a bit further out, but really isn't far at all if driving. Has pool & spa facilities & golf course. Also close to Blanchardstown Shopping Center for retail therapy. & if you have kids, National Aquatic Center is 5-10mins away & Tayto Park is 20-30mins.

If you follow the road through & turn right, you are in Chapelizod Village in 5 mins by car & Phoenix Park & Kilmainham are on your doorstep, as is rest of Dublin City.

Park the car at Heuston Station during day & use Luas to get around Dublin or use one of the other multi storey car parks in the city.

Luas Red Line from Heuston to Abbey Street will get you to the GPO & Spire. Then Luas Green Line from Abbey Street outside the Lottery HQ gets you to Trinity College in 1 stop, St Stephen's Green & further south if you need to.

If doing 2 days i would suggest 1 day split between Tayto Park (morning & early afternoon) followed by 1.5-hrs in NAC then a stop in Blanch SC for some shopping & food then back to hotel for evening.

Day 2 in city center. Albeit, GPO, Kilmainham & Glasnevin? Is there a history buff in the family?

You could also consider Trinity College & Book of Kells, National Museum of Ireland, Dept of the Taoiseach (check when tours are run), Phoenix Park (including Boathouse Cafe), Guiness Storehouse.

• Advertisement

@wandererz, thanks for all the info.

The Castleknock has no rooms for 5 available for the dates I'm able to travel unfortunately, but I'll take some of the other info you provided on board.

jay1988 wrote: »
    Not sure what budget you're looking at but The Skylon in Drumcondra would tick a lot of boxes, close to Glasnevin, has car parking and many buses to the city centre pass by with the stop directly opposite the gate. M1 motorway only 5 minutes up the road too.

.... and the Skylon can't accommodate 5 in a room.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

How about the Clayton at Liffey valley, family stayed there before and it worked

Other options would be Plaza Hotel Blanchardstown, Carlton?? i think in Tyrrelstown (they have deals with NAC).

There's a small hotel in Leixlip as well that has Arthur Guiness significance & was not expensive either, although definitely not close to city centre.

Also, West County Hotel in Chapelizod. Its handy enough & just as easy to get into City Centre.

Although your options are going to be limited if looking for a single room for 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

http://bumblesofrice.com/2019/03/16/hotels-ireland-families-three-four-kids/

This blog post might help you. She recently compiled a list of hotels with rooms that could accommodate families with 3+ children

Maldron Hotel Newlands Cross would be a good bet for family rooms. Can drop car off at Red Cow Luas stop as well if going into town. About €250-€370 for 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement