Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

• 13-04-2019 7:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate stickied Season 8 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

Please user spoilers until Wednesday midnight to let people watch it on Sky without reading spoilers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lord Glover really is a plonker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Chrisht that Umber kid scared the bejaysus outa me

I like the way they've set up a possible conflict with Daeny and Jon/Aegon, with him not being told about the Tarleys
    Poor auld Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

god damn it Glover, you idiot. That house needs wiping out. Also I felt they ruined any tension with Sam when they showed him bumbling around the crypt in the next scene.

Loved the “what the fck is wrong with bran” look Jon gave him when they met.

A bit underwhelmed by the epsiode but I’d much rather that than an epic episode to kick off and then nothing for a fortnight.

House Glover will probably get skewered by the Night King in a quick scene en route to Winterfell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Bran mentioning the Undead dragon and nobody seeming to care bugged me. Why not use that to introduce Jon to dragon flying (you could still mention the dragons not feeding there too).

Someone should put a bell on Bran. He's stealthing around the castle. I thought for sure when Sam was like "why are you out here" and Bran mentioned he was "waiting for an old friend", that Jamie would appear straight after Same left. Seemed odd.

There was a bit of a forced "they didn't bend the knee" about Dany and Sam. It just seemed too contrived to setup the apparent Jon vs Dany story.

Cersei and the elephants made me laugh.

Night King is the best character now because he still has a mystery about him. The dead Umber kid freaked me out. Loved that part.

I thought it was fine but the air of intrigue is seemingly lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Spoiler tags are a bit pointless. The object is people dont read this thread until they have seen the episode.

It was fast paced but it had to be.

Thoughts ;
    Sam puts Dani face to face with the consequences of her decisions. She cant just burn everyone -she needs to build allies

Sam as always hits the nail on the head. Would she give up her crown for her people. The dothraki think she is a God. The unsullied simply obey. John is clearly a more experienced leader of a more diverse group.

The dragon staring John out of it. Do they know something we dont. Will Jon have to kill her.

I loved the mirroring as all through the episode.

John and Sam in the crypts instead of Ned and Robert

Jamie and Bran to close the episode.

I thought Arya could have been a faceless man and was a proponent of that theory but I dont believe so now. Shes pretty bad ass. Her and Gendry would make a fine couple

Nody requested tags be used until Wednesday so that's why they're being used. Can't ignore the boss. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I never get too excited about this first episode, its was always going to be an episode of meet and greets, reunions and a few personality clashes, maybe a few squinting stares from across the courtyard. The only major plot move was Sam telling Jon about his folks and Yara being released. Every player got some general coverage and screen time bar the N. King (who's absence is probably better for the shows suspense)

What I really loved about this episode was the injection of humour, Qyburn and Bronn, Tyrion and Varys, Drogon and Jon, Thormund and Ed, even Cersei and her elephant comments. A real sense of lets get a few laughs in (and some lovely heartfelt moments) before the real **** hits the fan. As a previous poster said there was plenty of mirroring back to S1E1. Jaime arriving gracefully in gold armour into Winterfell with the entire castle looking on in awe, to him arriving in ragged cloaks, no one noticing who he is and awkwardly climbing off his horse, bearded and as broken as Bran looking back at him. Lovely set up.

The opening credits was a lovely touch, no need to be skirting around the map anymore. Harry Strickland did look to me like a very complex character, I presume him and his men are walking casualty fodder for N.King/Dany.

All in all, this episode just has to get numerous balls rolling, job done, now to drive on with the season and the wars to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Davos talks about the alliance built by Jon That was Ned Umber hung on the wall, Alys Karstark enters Winterfell as Davos speaks to Tyrion has she just fled from Last Hearth before it is attacked or because it was being attacked

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Jon as Aegon scene kind of underwhelmed me. Not really sure why.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The Jon as Aegon scene kind of underwhelmed me. Not really sure why.
    Why didn't he go straight over to Lyannas tomb in the crypt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Ned: "The next time we meet I will tell you who your mother is"

Season 8
    Jon standing in front of Ned's tomb and statue
    Sam: " Your ma's over there"[/QUOTE]

This doesn't air until 9pm tonight for most people who aren't able to watch at 2am that's why the spoiler tags are protocol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This doesn't air until 9pm tonight for most people who aren't able to watch at 2am that's why the spoiler tags are protocol.

I think everyone knows that. But why you'd open a thread and read it when it says spoilers.

Is ..

Well stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The new opening credits though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I loved the mirroring as all through the episode.

John and Sam in the crypts instead of Ned and Robert

Jamie and Bran to close the episode.

Also the kid running around to get a good look when the "Queen" and her army were arriving, and Arya getting to the front of the crowd to look herself.

Maybe it was just me but I thought the music during that scene was quite similar to episode 1 when King Robert was riding into Winterfell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

shrewdness wrote: »
    Also the kid running around to get a good look when the "Queen" and her army were arriving, and Arya getting to the front of the crowd to look herself.

Maybe it was just me but I thought the music during that scene was quite similar to episode 1 when King Robert was riding into Winterfell.

Yup, the kid very much reminded me of Bran too. I think it was a nice reminder that although the characters have gotten older, and more developed, they were once children and had the same innocent curiosity that a child had before the game of thrones ruined that.

And no reaction at all to the fact he’s been banging his aunt.

It was a lot to take in I'm sure. Sam telling him the truth doesn't change the reality to Jon which is that Lyanna and Rhaegar are complete strangers to him. In that moment all that happened was that he lost a father (Ned) and gained nothing.

That's how I interpreted anyway. I liked it.

Arya very much the faceless man while the entourage marched by no one paid any attention to her, Sansa saying she was skulking about the place, that looked like a dragon slayer weapon she asked Gendry to make too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Honestly, I was waiting for Jon to go "Who Targaryen?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Felt very much like one of those messy Season 7 episodes: characters reactions don't ring true - they're just a way of propelling story forward.
    The Theon/Yara rescue was ridiculous. It took him longer to beat the crap out of that guy on the beach in S7 than it did to complete the rescue. Really, really lazy stuff and makes me really question the competency of the the showrunners. Worrying.

On the upside, the segment at the Last Hearth was pretty cool and Ned Umber's reawakening was a genuine fright.

Looks awfully like Dany is being set up as a villain. If Jon is the "prince that was promised" it stands to reason that he'll have to put that valyrian steel sword through her before this season is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is it still
    treason if nobody had any idea of who Jon was up until now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And no reaction at all to the fact he’s been banging his aunt.
    Sure he's a Targ - aunt would be viewed as stranger-level separation for them :pac:

I guess I just expected a bigger deal of it. Instead, the scene just felt like any other scene, even though it’s probably then most important scene of the whole series so far.

Sam pretty much just spat it out so matter of factly, as if the two of them were sitting in the pub having a pint. And Jon’s reaction just didn’t seem like the reaction you would expect. Surely you’d ask way more questions. He just seemed to accept it way too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm glad the Unsullied got sleeves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'm glad the Unsullied got sleeves

The Dothraki must be freezing though.
    I guess I just expected a bigger deal of it. Instead, the scene just felt like any other scene, even though it’s probably then most important scene of the whole series so far.

I felt both that "reveal" and
    Jon riding Rhaegal
    were handled in a surprisingly offhand manner. Almost nonchalantly, in fact. I was a bit taken aback.

Both were listed in the Irish Times' "10 Questions Game of Thrones must answer in Season 8" article yesterday and both were so casually tossed out there right in the first episode. It just felt... weird. And kind of underwhelming.

I think I remember from years ago that a dragon picks its rider, and it can only ever have one even if that person dies? And would a dragon ever let a non-Targaryen ride it? I feel like Jon's heritage is easier to believe if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Nody wrote: »
    Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

Please user spoilers until Wednesday midnight to let people watch it on Sky without reading spoilers.
    Why do we need spoilers when people know that's what this thread contains? I wouldn't even click on this forum, never mind this thread until I'd seen the episode. Spoilers ruin the thread and we've never needed them in the past and the forum worked just fine. It's like packets of nuts that say "Caution, contains nuts". Pandering to that level of stupidity just weakens the herd :p Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen the episode and clicks on a thread specifically created to discuss what happens in the episode, deserves to have it spoiled for them!

• Advertisement

I think I remember from years ago that a dragon picks its rider, and it can only ever have one even if that person dies? And would a dragon ever let a non-Targaryen ride it? I feel like Jon's heritage is easier to believe if this is the case.

From reading Fire & Blood,
    there's many instances of dragons having more than one rider, but only every one at a time (i.e. first rider dies before the dragon will accept a new one). There's instances of non-Targs being dragon riders, but suggestions they may have been decended from Targ "wild oats" or else other Valyrian families - with Valyrian blood as opposed to only Targ blood being key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I reckon Sansa is gonna end up on the Iron Throne. Her arc has been completely grim up until last season and she has to have a big role to play somehow, otherwise what is the point. They are not so subtly hinting at her being a good ruler and very politically astute throughout the whole episode as well. If not the Iron Throne, she will be standing at the end and ruling something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I loved the comic relief when Jarry Potter had his first broomstick riding lesson rather than the epic moment it should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

So will Bron betray Tyrion and Jaime? After everything they've been through, it's hard to see Bronn turning on them. He may be a sellsword but he seems to have more loyalty than most sellswords.

blackwhite wrote: »
    From reading Fire & Blood,
    there's many instances of dragons having more than one rider, but only every one at a time (i.e. first rider dies before the dragon will accept a new one). There's instances of non-Targs being dragon riders, but suggestions they may have been decended from Targ "wild oats" or else other Valyrian families - with Valyrian blood as opposed to only Targ blood being key

SPOILER VIDEO:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8Qsx6_OBw
    While what you say is probably true about Valyrian families, the show runners say it's Targaryans in the video above.

It's going to be very interesting. Does Jon wait until after some big battle to say this? Or straight away and risk problems?

SPOILER VIDEO:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8Qsx6_OBw
    While what you say is probably true about Valyrian families, the show runners say it's Targaryans in the video above.

It's going to be very interesting. Does Jon wait until after some big battle to say this? Or straight away and risk problems?

Could well be another place where the show diverges from the books then.
    At least 2 Velaryon bastards (another Valyrian family) without noted Targ ancestry were dragon riders.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonrider

• Advertisement

If it comes out and is believed that Jon is the legitimate heir, he could solve the North's problem with him bending the knee by letting her be Queen in the South and he be King in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Spoiler tags are ridiculous in this thread. I can’t see most of the posts when browsing on iPhone as they’re all greyed out. Why would anyone click into this thread NOT expecting details of the episode?

I loved the comic relief when Jarry Potter had his first broomstick riding lesson rather than the epic moment it should have been.

Yeah Falcor YEAH!!!

If it comes out and is believed that Jon is the legitimate heir, he could solve the North's problem with him bending the knee by letting her be Queen in the South and he be King in the North.

Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder today

Yeah Falcor YEAH!!!

That too.

• Advertisement

Maester Aemon really missed out so sad Peter Vaughan died a few years back could have worked him in somehow for a cameo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He is the legitimate heir, why do you think his heritage might be in question?

Does anyone else think Griff and Young Griff might pop up with Elephants at Dragonstone. Homeless Harry Strickland was a strange curve ball to say the least

Dial Hard wrote: »
    He is the legitimate heir, why do you think his heritage might be in question?

I mean actually believed by people. As in, that he is even who he would be claiming to be.

From Reddit:
    Bran and Jaime were never friends. The Three-Eyed Raven however was friends with Azor Ahai 5,000 years ago. Calling it now the King Slayer will slay the Night King. There's your Azor Ahai.

I mean, I'd say he is easily the most complex character and has had the biggest arc of anyone in the show. And it's pretty damn cool to think that it was Jaime and Bran in episode 1 and now it's Azor Ahai and The Three-Eyed Raven staring at each other eight seasons later.

Apparently he needs to kill the woman he loves. Cersai's fairly out-of-nowhere wish to have him killed could be the setup for that.

The idea it's Jon is a little too clean and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Subtle as a brick to the face at the start. While I can see the need to use it as a set up episode, I felt it was a bit dull. Only decent scenes involved Sam, a brief few seconds with the Hound and Bran (seperately) and a one liner from Tormund. Last Hearth was alright too, I suppoose.

Danaerys seems to be allowed smile these days, which is good to see, nice for her to get to flash the teeth before she dies.

They're over egging the internal conflict a bit much though, and I have no time for the "Sansa is so smart" way things are obviously going to go, while making Tyrion into an absolute idiot.
    I reckon Sansa is gonna end up on the Iron Throne.
    Unfortunately, this is going to be the case. She's been a waste of space for seven seasons, but apparently she was learning all that time, or some bull****. Maybe I just don't forgive her for getting her dog killed.

I don't know whether it's down to failure to properly develop Sansa as the character they've been trying so hard to do or the fact that Sophie Turner couldn't act her way out of a box but the character has bored me to tears ever since she left KL.

As for Jaime as Azor Ahai, not a bleedin' chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just finished the episode and came on here to discuss but thread is unreadable on an iPad. Have to click quote each time to read the spoilers. Why would anyone come on here if they haven’t watched it and expect no spoilers? Seems ridiculous to keep this up until Wednesday.

Loved the opening scene although I needed to remind myself who had already met up with who along the way. Always rooting for Arya and Gendry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A bit meh but I guess there is alot to get through/reintroduce in a relatively short space of time. Thought some of the cgi was quite poor with riding the dragons and jon and dany on front of the waterfall.

Loved the scene with Thormund and the kid on the wall.

The rescue by Reek was stupid but I did enjoy the scene with Cersei in the throne room.

5/10

• Advertisement
Advertisement