Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The writing has been really poor the last 2-3 seasons and there are a lot of things that don't make sense that the show doesn't address, which they're probably hoping we ignore to find out how the story ends. One thing that stands out for me is how empty Cersei's court is. Apart from Qyborn, she doesn't seem to have a council. That means no hand, no master of coin, no master of ships etc. There is no way she can do all that herself. Plus how is she keeping control of the city? I rewatched S1 last week and there was an episode where the head of the city guard approached Ned to ask for more men because the tourney had brought loads more people into the city and crime was rising. Little details like that is what made the first few seasons so realistic.

There is no way Cersei could hold the throne with just Qyborn as her advisor. There is always someone opportunistic waiting in the wings to take over. Tywin's father nearly ran his house into the ground until Tywin took over and his ruthlessness made everyone fear him. Cersei has no real claim to the throne but at this stage I'm beyond caring about inconsistencies and just want to see who lives and who dies!

Qyburn is her hand is he not?
    She killed the rest of the small council when she blew up the Sept of Baelor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Qyburn is her hand is he not?
    She killed the rest of the small council when she blew up the Sept of Baelor
    Qyburn is her hand and everything else. I can see how he took over the kids from Varys but he is a stranger to Kings Landing and it makes no sense that just Cersei and Qyburn are ruling. We're only seeing a one dimensional view of King's Landing ie through Cersei's eyes. That's not realistic because she has no real claim to the throne and other houses would want to topple her. It reminds me of how Dany thought she could rule through power and she ended up with the massive problem of the Sons of the Harpies.

In keeping with the ethos of earlier seasons, there would be some resistance to Cersei claiming the throne in Kings Landing but because the show has run out of time we have to forget about the intrinsicities of the game of thrones and focus more on the overall war with the Night's King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Qyburn is her hand and everything else. I can see how he took over the kids from Varys but he is a stranger to Kings Landing and it makes no sense that just Cersei and Qyburn are ruling. We're only seeing a one dimensional view of King's Landing ie through Cersei's eyes. That's not realistic because she has no real claim to the throne and other houses would want to topple her. It reminds me of how Dany thought she could rule through power and she ended up with the massive problem of the Sons of the Harpies.

In keeping with the ethos of earlier seasons, there would be some resistance to Cersei claiming the throne in Kings Landing but because the show has run out of time we have to forget about the intrinsicities of the game of thrones and focus more on the overall war with the Night's King.

I suppose the difference between Deanerys having to deal with the Sons of the Harpies, and Cersei is that Deanerys was seen as a foreign invader and upset the balance in Yunkai, Astapor and Mereen. In most instances, a foreign invader in any land is going to be opposed if that invader impacts on their way or life or culture. Especially since the Sons of the Harpy were backed by Volantis, Yunkai and Asapor, the former leadership of those lands.

Westeros is different than Mareen however. Cersei is a born and raised Westerosi who comes from a great and powerful Noble House who have held power in Westeros for years. She abides to the customs and traditions of Westeros and she was also the wife and mother of the former Kings of Westeros. Once again Deanerys is seen as the invader who leads an army of Dothraki and three dragons. To a Westerosi Deanerys would probably look like the villain in all this and the people actually support Cersei's claim.

Plus any cause for a rebellion would have to be supported financially. Who would back a rebellion against Cersei? Who has the money for such a deed? Jon Snow and Dany are busy in the North fighting the White Walkers. All the other great Houses have been defeated or are out of the equation. There are no more major player in Westeros to oppose Cersei, so there's not much cause for a rebellion.

That being said,I do agree that the writing has gotten sloppy in the last few seasons.

The whole thing would probably be a lot better without the White Walkers at all, because the result with them has to be all or nothing. There can be truce or retreat, or some marriage to bring about peace.

Advertisement