Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 1 "Winterfell"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Sky's adverts are p***ing me off. I've just seen a preview for E2 showing ***** ***** ******* ***** ********.

I know it's only minor, but STOP giving things away!!
    I imagine that was the preview after Ep.1 showing a few bits from Ep.2?
    If it's the same one, it's not really spoilery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone get mixed up between Gentry and Pod ???

Nope, Pod is a squire not a member of the gentry.

*sorry*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone get mixed up between Gentry and Pod ???

I used to all the time when I watched for the first time and only half paid attention to characters. I was like “What is your man at?!!”

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I can't see Bronn taking out the Lanister brothers on Cerisi's orders
    After spending so much time with them both and puting his life on the line for both of them too castle or no castle

See a few not understanding this. Here's at few possible reasons.
    1) Jamie has deserted, as queen she cant just ignore it. So why not make a big deal and send bronn when she knows he wont do it. Instead of having to send someone that would.
    2) still loves Jamie, how can she help. Why not send bronn who she knows will help protect him
    3) she actually does plan on killing one of the and using bronn as decoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

We didn't actually see Cersei give the order to Bronn (yes I know the actors won't be on screen together), but Qyburn could be on a solo run here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

We didn't actually see Cersei give the order to Bronn (yes I know the actors won't be on screen together), but Qyburn could be on a solo run here.

I think its just because of the actors, Qyburn also explained his loyalty to Cersei which is probably a nod to the fact that it isnt him doing a solo run

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Why what's the craic with the actors not appearing together? Different locations?

Why what's the craic with the actors not appearing together? Different locations?

Divorce (Well they were not married but same drama)
    They need a couple of kicks up the hole because their off screen drama has had a large effect on the story telling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

fairly bad break up, Lena Heady has it in her contract that she doesn't even share scenes with him.

The characters have been on screen together one time in the whole series, and her face is kind of blurry because they are fairly far from the camera, ans he's turned completely away.

Cersei-850x478.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

fairly bad break up, Lena Heady has it in her contract that she doesn't even share scenes with him.

The characters have been on screen together one time in the whole series, and her face is kind of blurry because they are fairly far from the camera, ans he's turned completely away.

Cersei-850x478.jpg

Yeah had heard of this before. To be honest, if you were paying me 4m in a year I'd happily work with all my exes together and get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

irishfeen wrote: »
    Did anyone find it strange that Bran didn’t tell Jon about his true ancestry himself and let Sam do it?
    He said it in the episode to be fair, Jon trusts Sam more than Bran. Bran is gone weird and distant.
    Well, necessary to show Jon can ride a dragon but just overlong and drawn out.
    My wife's reaction was, "Yes, we get it, you have a big budget. Can we please get on with the story now?"
    which was obviously the last time we’ll see them like that after Sam told Jon who he is
    Except that they are Targaryens...
    See a few not understanding this. Here's at few possible reasons.
    1) Jamie has deserted, as queen she cant just ignore it. So why not make a big deal and send bronn when she knows he wont do it. Instead of having to send someone that would.
    2) still loves Jamie, how can she help. Why not send bronn who she knows will help protect him
    3) she actually does plan on killing one of the and using bronn as decoy.
    She might also be trying to get rid of Bronn because she knows he's loyal to Jamie. Hope that Bronn dies in the war with the wights, and he's another loose end she doesn't have to worry about. Bronn kills Jamie, he's loyal to Cersei. Bronn dies, he's gone. Win-Win for Cersei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Anyone else think the Night King will do a Robb Stark move and send a small force of cannon fodder to the Winterfell for the "Big Battle" and he'll zip down and raise an army of dead in the south? Possibly Kings Landing?

The Lannisters did it last year when the unsullied took Casterly Rock, the Lannisters took Highgarden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else think the Night King will do a Robb Stark move and send a small force of cannon fodder to the Winterfell for the "Big Battle" and he'll zip down and raise an army of dead in the south? Possibly Kings Landing?

The Lannisters did it last year when the unsullied took Casterly Rock, the Lannisters took Highgarden.

Was wondering that myself, will they all just march south in one unstoppable undead herd or will the Nights King split his army up, sending his lieutenants off with thousands of wights to take large population centers for fresh undead recruits. I imagine for simplicity sake they'll keep them all together for one set piece battle outside Winterfell where the Nights King will meet is end, conveniently taking out all the wights in his army(as seen last season). The remainder of the season will be taking out Cersei and an episode of epilogue setting the scene for post war Westeros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

I 100% think Bronn is going to kill Jaime.

Cersei-850x478.jpg

It was pretty bad/obvious at the meeting with the captured Wight when bronn and pod go for a drink. Perfect example of clunky exposition by d&d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine for simplicity sake they'll keep them all together for one set piece battle outside Winterfell where the Nights King will meet is end
    Nah. Half of the main characters will die, Drogon will be killed and Dany and Jon and the rest of the army will flee south towards Cersei, who will demand they bend the knee while Jon keeps telling her that the Night King is coming and to cop herself on.

Then the Night King's two undead dragons will be taken down by the huge crossbow with dragonglass bolts on it and Jon will slay the Night King with his sword.

In the aftermath, Cersei will reveal that it was she, not Robert, who had sent the assassins to kill Dany, before killing her. Tyrion will give his life protecting Jon, who will show mercy to Cersei only to see Arya cut her throat.

No spoilers btw, that's all bull from me :p

I just don't see the Night King coming to an end in a single episode, a "last stand" at Winterfell. The undead will end up at Cersei's door eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

their off screen drama has had a large effect on the story telling

Really? How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bdwuse/spoilers_extended_my_night_king_is_not_stupid/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

golfball37 wrote: »

Can't see that myself . But find it unusall he didn't travel to winterfells with Jamie as he's been his right hand man (excuse the pun) for the last series.
    Risked his life to save him from the dragon blast and never a sign of animosity towards Jamie.
    Reading the thread bang goes my theory of Bronn taking out Cersei when they return to kings landing with nothing to loose as Jamie dies in an act of honour protecting Tyrion

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think its just because of the actors, Qyburn also explained his loyalty to Cersei which is probably a nod to the fact that it isnt him doing a solo run

Btw, was Qyburn hinting that Cersei might offer Bronn rewards in addition to a mound of gold, if you catch my drift, if he executes here plan? What did he say, "the queen is very generous to men who serve her loyally" or something? Even if he was, I think we can safely say that one won't ever come to pass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

I read the thread and nobody seems to have said that the Dragon scene whilst being 'out of place', 'too long and boring' etc. Was there for a reason...every scene is! Look at the landscape! The huge ravine that would be handy to dump a few thousand white walkers into to burn maybe!?! Every scene is in there for a reason. Im also convincened Jon will kill Danerys now because what Sam said is correct. He will have to to force her to surrender the crown...to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

In the books he never goes, with Jamie, to Dorne. Rather Ilyn Payne does (and I think he is the one to train Jamie, in left handed fighting)

I think the show's reason for this was twofold though as the actor who played Ilyn Payne was diagnosed with cancer (and has since recovered) but he was out of action so they never brought him back after season 1. Secondly I'm guessing they also wanted to get their use out of Bronn as he is a fan favourite and it was far more interesting watching him interact with Jaime than a mute Ilyn Payne would ever have been!

Not that it hugely matters anymore but I could have sworn this was the non book readers thread :pac:

Jaime didn't go to Dorne at all in the books, never mind with Bronn or Ilyn Payne. They didn't invent that entire angle to get Bronn out of KL so Jerome Flynn and Lena Headey weren't around each other.

Some of your second paragraph may well end up being accurate but again, it's nothing to do with their relationship ending badly.

You are right, it was somewhere else (getting myself confused with what I've seen) but as pointed out this is the non-book

Apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't think so. I think it's all just being done as a way to reunite Bronn with the Lannister brothers and get the crossbow into the hands of either Jamie or Tyrion, who will use it to kill someone significant. Either Cersei or Danerys. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't think so. He's smart enough to realise that Cersei can't be trusted. When Tyrion first met Bronn in season 1, Tyrion made it clear to Bronn that if the time ever came when someone wanted to cross him, he'd pay double. Tyrion doesn't have the Lannister gold behind him anymore but he is allied with Dany. Bronn has to hedge his bets and decide who will win out - the North or Cersei.

I think Bronn is smart enough to hedge his bets against Cersei.

He must know that there are three sides;
    The dead;
    Cersei's army; and
    Everyone else.

Carrying out a mission for Cersei for a good reward will be fairly futile if she gets decimated which logically she should - although I'm very aware that logic sometimes doesn't feed into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The dead;
    Cersei's army; and
    Everyone else.

Carrying out a mission for Cersei for a good reward will be fairly futile if she gets decimated which logically she should - although I'm very aware that logic sometimes doesn't feed into it.

I’m not sure that Jon and Dany would seem like the favourites now. If it was straight up them versus Cersei, yeah they’d easily be the winning side especially with what Bronn has seen. But the Army of the Dead, with their numbers and without Lannister support, would now likely seem like the favourites to Bronn. Meaning of the people who could help him...Cersei’s chances could seem better.

But I’d tend to agree with those who say Cersei’s doing this as a win-win knowing there’s as much chance of him just joining them and getting rid of a potential adversary from KL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The dead;
    Cersei's army; and
    Everyone else.

Tbh I thought this was just how they got Bronn back with the rest of the characters since the actors don’t actually speak to each other in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

What do people think Yara Greyjoys part will be?
    She's gone back to the Iron Islands and talked about Dany may need somewhere to run too if the dead are winning.

Surely it's not the last we see of her?

• Advertisement

She's gone back to the Iron Islands and talked about Dany may need somewhere to run too if the dead are winning.

Didn't she make some deal with Dany last season that if Dany gets the throne, Yara can be Queen in the Iron Islands?

I'd anticipate some sort of climactic showdown with Euron. Not sure how that would come about though...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Didn't she make some deal with Dany last season that if Dany gets the throne, Yara can be Queen in the Iron Islands?

She did - but I'd presume that was on the condition she helps Dany get the Iron throne and not run to the Iron Islands when the battles were about to take place.

I'd anticipate some sort of climactic showdown with Euron. Not sure how that would come about though...

I imagine some element of Euron acting cocky whilst fighting from the sea, maybe standing on the deck gloating and Yara appearing out of nowhere a la Theon and essentially taking him by surprise.

She doesn't have many ships I believe so a sneaky kill would be the only like way she could get him id say.

She did - but I'd presume that was on the condition she helps Dany get the Iron throne and not run to the Iron Islands when the battles were about to take place.
    She was helping Dany but Euron got her ships and still has them. There's not much she can do, apart from hold the Iron Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Btw, was Qyburn hinting that Cersei might offer Bronn rewards in addition to a mound of gold, if you catch my drift, if he executes here plan? What did he say, "the queen is very generous to men who serve her loyally" or something? Even if he was, I think we can safely say that one won't ever come to pass...

Qyburn didn't hint anything. He said Cersei might offer Bronn rewards in addition to a mound of gold, which is plausible. He gave the example on how he became her Hand by being a loyal servant.

Qyburn didn't hint anything. He said Cersei might offer Bronn rewards in addition to a mound of gold, which is plausible. He gave the example on how he became her Hand by being a loyal servant.

Okay but there is a clear implication that the reward for killing Jaime and/or Tyrion would be greater than being appointed her hand. And this is happening immediately after she accepted Euron into her bed...

I don't know what you're talking about, try to be more clear next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭threeball

Was wondering that myself, will they all just march south in one unstoppable undead herd or will the Nights King split his army up, sending his lieutenants off with thousands of wights to take large population centers for fresh undead recruits. I imagine for simplicity sake they'll keep them all together for one set piece battle outside Winterfell where the Nights King will meet is end, conveniently taking out all the wights in his army(as seen last season). The remainder of the season will be taking out Cersei and an episode of epilogue setting the scene for post war Westeros.

Think this is highly likely as it would mean adding an additional 500,000 to the army of the dead before taking on Winterfell.

I had thought that the Night King would take Winterfell then head south to KL where Cersei would offer him her new child in order to return to the north but after last week it seems this kid isn't on the way anytime soon so that probably puts that theory to bed.

I also think Dany will try to burn Jon with a Dragon after he reveals his lineage but he will walk away unscathed as he is a Targaryen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

threeball wrote: »
    Think this is highly likely as it would mean adding an additional 500,000 to the army of the dead before taking on Winterfell.

I had thought that the Night King would take Winterfell then head south to KL where Cersei would offer him her new child in order to return to the north but after last week it seems this kid isn't on the way anytime soon so that probably puts that theory to bed.

I also think Dany will try to burn Jon with a Dragon after he reveals his lineage but he will walk away unscathed as he is a Targaryen.

Cool theories.:)

• Advertisement

His first theory is cool but why would Dany burn her own brother that she loved? That would make no sense and is not going to happen.

Fratricide is an incredibly rare thing, especially by a female. Only after years and years of abuse like what happened with Viserys or by an exceptionally evil person like Cersei would it even be a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

His first theory is cool but why would Dany burn her own brother that she loved? That would make no sense and is not going to happen.

Fratricide is an incredibly rare thing, especially by a female. Only after years and years of abuse like what happened with Viserys or by an exceptionally evil person like Cersei would it even be a possibility.

Jon's her nephew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

As expected third episodes is going to be the action movie we all anticipated.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    As .....

Wrong thread.

Because nothing means more to her than the throne. Its what shes lived for her whole life and now Jon is pushing her into 2nd spot just by his very being. History is chock full of royals who did their siblings in, in order to claim the top spot.

Because nothing means more to her than the throne. Its what shes lived for her whole life and now Jon is pushing her into 2nd spot just by his very being. History is chock full of royals who did their siblings in, in order to claim the top spot.
    She hasn't though. Her whole life she thought Viserys was going to rule. It wasn't until she got pregnant and an assassin made an attempt on her life that Drogo declared he was going to sail to Westeros and take the thorne. Dany likes to make out it was her life's destiny but even Vary's said they expected her to die with the dothraki. Dany became obsessed with ruling when Drogo died and her dragons hatched, which is only about 2-3 years ago.

She hasn't though. Her whole life she thought Viserys was going to rule. It wasn't until she got pregnant and an assassin made an attempt on her life that Drogo declared he was going to sail to Westeros and take the thorne. Dany likes to make out it was her life's destiny but even Vary's said they expected her to die with the dothraki. Dany became obsessed with ruling when Drogo died and her dragons hatched, which is only about 2-3 years ago.

Only a few episodes ago (first meeting at dragonstone) she explained to Jon that the only thing that kept her going all the years, through rape, threat of death etc. was claiming the iron throne. Everything else pales in significance. You can already see her losing trust in all those around her, Tyrion, Jon etc.

Only a few episodes ago (first meeting at dragonstone) she explained to Jon that the only thing that kept her going all the years, through rape, threat of death etc. was claiming the iron throne. Everything else pales in significance. You can already see her losing trust in all those around her, Tyrion, Jon etc.
    All that only came about after the attempt on her life. Before that she never thought of herself as a ruler. Gilly's child looks about three, so it's only been three years. Dany's full of sh1te. She's obsessed with the throne and will burn those who stand in her way. She is not fit to be a ruler.

All that only came about after the attempt on her life. Before that she never thought of herself as a ruler. Gilly's child looks about three, so it's only been three years. Dany's full of sh1te. She's obsessed with the throne and will burn those who stand in her way. She is not fit to be a ruler.

Isn't that my point, she'll burn jon because he stands in her way. Only problem is, Jon doesn't burn.

The fact he told her his lineage before the battle only sets up a confrontation during or after the battle of winterfell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭nix

Isn't that my point, she'll burn jon because he stands in her way. Only problem is, Jon doesn't burn.

Its possible not all Targaryen's are heat resistant, its possible Danny might be the only one, a power given to her by the lord of light i suspect. As when her brother gets killed in season one, she says "He was no Dragon, fire can not kill a dragon"

When watching the show a few years back, i always thought Jon would be put on fire or attacked by a dragon and would just walk out of the flames unscathed all badass and all and it would be a great reveal that Jon was like Danny, and thats how most would believe or know..

But then when watching the show all over again recently, theres a scene in season 1 when Jon is saving the Lord commander from an undead and he picks up a lantern and throws it at the undead to kill it, but Jon is clearly screaming in pain of being burnt doing it..

Now maybe thats just me being a nerd and an oversight by the show, but yeah :)

Advertisement