Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick with flat pedals or go spd

Options
  • 13-04-2019 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Been cycling last year or so, always on flat pedals. Recently got a gravel bike, cycling on crap to good roads, on shimano mtb pedals with pins so grip isn't an issue. The pedals are fairly chunky though (https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/saint-m820/PD-M828.html), so I am thinking of going spd, something like shimano m520/540 which look more pleasing and everyone tells me once you go clipless you never go back.

However my fear is these will be just one more thing to worry about in traffic which I cycle in a lot and I wonder are flat pedals safer. Guess concerned about a not being able to clip in first time turning right at a junction with lights or falling over in an emergency stop situation where I don't clip out in time. Thinking I will go with multi release cleats then and set spring tension on pedals to be lowest if I decided on spd.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

SPDs are very easy to clip in and out of. At the lowest spring they're barely hanging on and will easily come out with any kind of sideways force, emergency or otherwise.

With SPD style shoes if you don't clip in first time you can safely pedal normally without clipping in for a few pedal strokes and clip in when you're up to speed and a bit more stable and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Not exactly helpful, but I've done the opposite. Changed from Shimano A530 spd with a flat side, to platform pedals with pins like your current set up. I cycle a hybrid for commuting. I find the platform pedals more stable and reassuring in traffic. A few close calls unclipping the spd, but never fell because of them. Just found the platform pedal a better commuting set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Practise.

Sit on bike in hall where you can lean against wall. Clip in and out to your hearts content.

Once you are sure you have it mastered, find a quiet cul de Sac or similar.

You want to do one of two things here.
    You can cycle in circles clipping in and out or else identify a lampost or low wall you can lean on if you panic and fail to clip out.

Boils down to practise but it really is not a difficult skill to master

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My very first go of SPDs, I never thought to check how tight the adjustment screw was. I didn't fall over, but I ended up having to take the shoes off without unclipping, leaving them still attached to the pedals, while leaving against a lamppost. Was not very dignified. The pedals had obviously shipped with the screws done up fully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

All my bikes have SPDs now, bar the single speed I use to go to the shops etc. Depends on how far you go and in what sort of traffic, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have Shimano M324 pedals on my MTB. They’re flat on one side and clip in on the other, they’re very hand if you need to put a foot down in a hurry.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I have Shimano M324 pedals on my MTB. They’re flat on one side and clip in on the other, they’re very hand if you need to put a foot down in a hurry.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

Isnt that a hassle having to rotate the flat side to clip in ? Thinking about double sides myself like m520’s.

Are the sh56 multi release cleats a good option? Was thinking might unclip accidentally while climbing using these or are they a good safety option considering you can unclip in different directions.

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/cycling-clothing/cycling-shoes/shimano-sh56-multi-release-mtb-spd-cleats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I commute on my roadbike most of the year and use it to get into town for going out etc so needed a pair, I use these:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/product/component/deorext-t8000/PD-T8000.html

Not cheap but I didnt like any of the others I tried, they're not awkward at all, you flick the pedal around to whatever side you need without thinking after using them for a bit, they've literally never caused me abit of bother in that sense, flat or SPD. They have the mtb style pins on the flat side aswell, removable if you dont like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Flaccus wrote: »
    Isnt that a hassle having to rotate the flat side to clip in ? Thinking about double sides myself like m520’s.

No not at all. I clip in 99% of the time but on rough downhill MTB trails I sometimes use the flat side just to be able to put a foot down if need be. Also
    If I’m out cycling with my kids I usually just have runners on so only use the flat side. They’re the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have double sided Shimano Deore XT pedals that are an older version of these, no issues clipping in/out or finding the clipped side. The weight of the clipped side means it hangs towards your foot so it's easy to clip in.

I was nervous getting them after hearing stories of people falling but I set them up fairly loose and haven't had any issues. One or two close calls when I dropped down a big curb or something but managed to get out.

I got the double sided ones with the intention of using the flat side for local errands but it's just a textured surface and there's no grip. They've since been updated to have pins. I have shoes I can walk around in so could have saved weight and money getting pedals without a platform. Worse case scenario you can still push down on the pedal to get yourself rolling then clip in after.

I don't like cycling unclipped, I feel safer when clipped in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I find platforms with pins just fine, and I don't need to wear special shoes, unless you count shoes with rubber soles as special. And they're cheap to buy, easy to maintain, and run for years, as this person says:
    https://theeverydaycyclist.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/review-wellgo-lu987-flat-pedals/

On the other hand, I've never tried clipless or any other foot-retention system. Once I tried pins, I found them totally adequate, and consistent with spontaneous journeys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Get the silver cleats is my advice if you do. They're easier to unclip with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I do everything wrong. I have mountain bike clip ins (clipless?) on my road bike as they are double sided and I hate standard road bike clip ins as they are too fiddley

On my gravel bike I have flat pedals with pins as I wanted to be able to get out easily on rough ground. I did that after riding another gravel bike with flats for a good while and not missing the clip ins at all.

However I think I do miss a bit of the extra purchase you get from being clipped in and I was occasionally experiencing knee pain which I think was because I could put my feet in different positions on the pedal, which isn't the case with clip ins

Whatever suits best I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My very first go of SPDs, I never thought to check how tight the adjustment screw was. I didn't fall over, but I ended up having to take the shoes off without unclipping, leaving them still attached to the pedals, while leaving against a lamppost. Was not very dignified. The pedals had obviously shipped with the screws done up fully.

I laughed a lot at this... sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I find platforms with pins just fine, and I don't need to wear special shoes, unless you count shoes with rubber soles as special. And they're cheap to buy, easy to maintain, and run for years, as this person says:
    https://theeverydaycyclist.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/review-wellgo-lu987-flat-pedals/

On the other hand, I've never tried clipless or any other foot-retention system. Once I tried pins, I found them totally adequate, and consistent with spontaneous journeys.
    They're adequate but only adequate, I used to put flat pedals on my roadbike but tbh theres parts of my weekend spins that I would struggle to do without SPDs now, its such a massive boost in speed and power, sometimes it feels like you're on an e-bike, give it a try.

Btw OP, avoid these dual sided types that claim to be SPD and flat on both sides:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m424-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod7808

I tried a few of them and they were all horrific, if you wear runners on them you have a sharp cleat mechanism stabbing your foot, if you wear SPD shoes they're a pain to get in and out of because of the big cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Thargor wrote: »
    They're adequate but only adequate, I used to put flat pedals on my roadbike but tbh theres parts of my weekend spins that I would struggle to do without SPDs now, its such a massive boost in speed and power, sometimes it feels like you're on an e-bike, give it a try.

Yeah, people do say they're better, but I don't habitually cycle more than 30km at a time, in fact not that often more than 20km at a time (though I very often do a few legs of 15km each in a day), and I'd just rather not be carrying around extra pairs of shoes. So adequate will do ... autologically enough.

I laughed a lot at this... sorry
    that's perfectly OK, i probably looked like a right twonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks for every ones input. I think I will probably try a set of these double sided spd's. I'm not sure even if it's worth looking at XT seeing as I don't go offroad really.
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-parts/pedals-pegs/shimano-spd-pedals-m520-mtb-pedals-silver

Also, I have to say I like the look of non platform pedals on my bike. Probably go for these shoes. I have th GR500 flat pedal version already which I find comfortable and still stiff enough.
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/apparel-accessories/shimano-series-lsg-2019/SH-AM501.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

They're what I have on road bike. They are very easy to get hang of, you might have max one or two slip ups at start then won't look back

Advertisement