Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbena Bonariensis - cutting back?

Options
  • 14-04-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

We have some Verbena Bonariensis, which I was told should produce new shoots from the base and I can then cut back the old stems.

However, what appears to be happening is that new shoots are coming _from_ the old stems, a foot or two above the ground:

AMhG0Y2.jpg

Should I still shear the plant back down to the ground? I'm thinking that if I cut back to above the new shoots, it will look very raggedy.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its hardy stuff, and even if the parent plant dies there will be baby plants all around the place. I would cut the old down, even now, it would have been better to cut them down a bit earlier but they will come back. The parent plants do die off after a fairly short few years, so you need to encourage at least a few of the new baby plants.

Hmmm. I just had a thought about my advice and checked it up, and it is saying online to only cut back to new buds. I had this stuff for years and was inclined to be a bit ruthless with it (tend to be that way inclined with gardening :D) but you might want to be a bit circumspect and go down to a low bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just prune out any dead stems and any that are getting leggy. The remainder would benefit from cutting back to a strong shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Verbena bonariensis are very temperamental, I'd just cut back the longest stems that are leaning to the right and leave the rest for this year

Advertisement