Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

rpurfield wrote: »
    Stick one of the teams in a set of bibs, be grand

G'way with your fancy bibs. Shirts vs. Skins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Higgins/vaughan/aos/Andy all played that day

Vaughan, AOS were in their first season , Andy probably won’t play against Meath and bear in mind the following year we lost to Longford. As I said, zero point talking about a game in 2009 as an indicator of the potential outcome in a Super 8 game .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

risteard7 wrote: »
    A newspaper from Antrim, who compete in Hurling & Football. What sort of **** I'll be back in 2 weeks. I can see it, Meath a few points up with 10 mins to go and Mayo reach for the 36 year old to save the day.

Your missing the point but it's fine. Takes a few days 🙈🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Barlett wrote: »
    Vaughan, AOS were in their first season , Andy probably won’t play against Meath and bear in mind the following year we lost to Longford. As I said, zero point talking about a game in 2009 as an indicator of the potential outcome in a Super 8 game .

Mayo were robbed that day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

yop wrote: »
    Like they did against Dublin is it?

A news clipping from a UK paper????

There’s a big difference between playing Dublin and playing any other team in the country unfortunately.

It was the first report came up on Google when I put in “Mayo Meath 2009”. I didn’t realize there was a ban on UK match reports!

For what it’s worth, I do expect Meath to lose all 3 games but they do have an annoying ability to up their game against better sides as I have stated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Meath goalie carried ball over line and the sideline ball before the Meath penalty was a mayo ball, its the umpires/sideline refs and refs/that **** their pants

It always seem to be referees fault or the boucing ball when Meath beat Mayo. Maybe because in 2009 Meath had good forwards like Joe Sheridan Cian Ward Brian Farrell Stephen Bray David Bray Paedar Byrne Shane O Rourke that Meath won in 2009. That forward line would hammer current great Dublin team by 5 goals in 2010 and beat great Tyrone team in all ireland quater final in 2007. Meath had better forwards then Mayo in 2009. The same in 1996 Meath had forward line of Trevor Giles Tommy Dowd Graham Geraghty Evan kelly Ollie Murphy Brendan Reilly thats one best forward lines of last 20 years . Mayo had John Casey Anthony Finnerty James Horan Colm McMemanin and loftus. a division 2 forward line at best. Thats why Meath won in 1996 and 2009. But all we ever hear is referee and boucing ball and the ball over the line .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good man Sonny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sonny678 wrote: »
    It always seem to be referees fault or the boucing ball when Meath beat Mayo. Maybe because in 2009 Meath had good forwards like Joe Sheridan Cian Ward Brian Farrell Stephen Bray David Bray Paedar Byrne Shane O Rourke that Meath won in 2009. That forward line would hammer current great Dublin team by 5 goals in 2010 and beat great Tyrone team in all ireland quater final in 2007. Meath had better forwards then Mayo in 2009. The same in 1996 Meath had forward line of Trevor Giles Tommy Dowd Graham Geraghty Evan kelly Ollie Murphy Brendan Reilly thats one best forward lines of last 20 years . Mayo had John Casey Anthony Finnerty James Horan Colm McMemanin and loftus. a division 2 forward line at best. Thats why Meath won in 1996 and 2009. But all we ever hear is referee and boucing ball and the ball over the line .

No complaints about the result in 2009 but yikes for an as you called it a division 2 forward line there was little separating the teams in 96.You would imagine you'd delivered a proverbial hammering.

Stoner wrote:
    Good man Sonny.

Thanks Stoner.
    But we had better forwards then Mayo in 2009 and a different level of class of forward to Mayo in 1996. Thats why we won on both occasions. David Bray was brillant v Mayo in 09. And Giles and Dowd were brillant v Mayo in 96. Quality forwards. Its pity we r lacking in that department now. We do lack real top class forwards. Even though Conlon has been great this year and we should have Donal lenihan our best forward back next year. Watch out for young Walsh who came onto day and scored point. Only 19 only finished leaving cert a week.ago and best full forward in Meath club football. He is player we have crying out for a quality full forward. Watch out for him he is a serious prospect I expect him to get more game time in super 8 dont be surprised if he starts v Donegal or Mayo.

seligehgit wrote:
    No complaints about the result in 2009 but yikes for an as you called it a division 2 forward line there was little separating the teams in 96.You would imagine you'd delivered a proverbial hammering.

He doesn't mess around seligehgit.

I was impressed that he could remember all the mayo forward line.

I can only remember 4 of them and that's after reading Sonnys post!!!

Unfortunately I know all the Meath lads we are neighbours so it was a bit easier, they were all handy.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote:

Giles only player to ever win two footballer of the years awards
    Geraghty won All stars at wing back wing forward and full forward
    Tommy Dowd was a triple all.star winner
    Ollie Murphy was best corner forward in Ireland 1999 to 2001
    Evan Kelly won an All star and played international rules
    And Brendan Reilly won an All star and was best full forward in the championship in 1996.

Mayo James Horan won all star but other then that Casey Finnerty McMemanin Loftus no all stars no footballers of the year. Meath had a different level of class upfront.

In last 15 mins of drawn game Meath scored 6 points Mayo scored 0 .
    In last 15 mins of replay Meath scored 1 - 3 Mayo scored 0 - 1.
    So in last 30 mins of football Meath scored 1 - 9 Mayo scored 0 - 1. Because Meath had top class forwards Mayo didnt. U cannot win an All Ireland if u score 1 point in last 30 mins of draw and replay and opposition score 1 - 9.
    That Meath teqm along with kerry 1975 team are the two youngest teams to win Sam.ever. Meath leaders were 20 years of age in 1996 eg Giles and Fay.

Brendan Reilly point to win the All Ireland in injury time from difficult angle is best winning point to win an All Ireland in last 50 years. Cluxtons was from a free. None of the Mayo forwards could have scored that point .

That Meath team won 2 All Irelands beat Dublin 4 times in 5 years in leinster championship gave kerry biggest defeat in the championship in 100 years when they beat them by 15 points in semi final 2001 and Meath defeated all the top teams in that era Kerry Mayo Cork Tyrone Armagh kildare Dublin. When they met Galway in 01 they were in serious decline. Defensivly they had all time great defenders like Darren Fay who was seen as best full back in Ireland in 90s and Martin O Connell who was voted greatest wing back in history of gaelic football on team of Milleniun. And John McDermont was one best midfielders in late 90s. That Meath team was just a better team then Mayo. Won more had better players better manager better forwards . Won 2 All Irelands . That alone speaks volumes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks Stoner.
    But we had better forwards then Mayo in 2009 and a different level of class of forward to Mayo in 1996. Thats why we won on both occasions. David Bray was brillant v Mayo in 09. And Giles and Dowd were brillant v Mayo in 96. Quality forwards. Its pity we r lacking in that department now. We do lack real top class forwards. Even though Conlon has been great this year and we should have Donal lenihan our best forward back next year. Watch out for young Walsh who came onto day and scored point. Only 19 only finished leaving cert a week.ago and best full forward in Meath club football. He is player we have crying out for a quality full forward. Watch out for him he is a serious prospect I expect him to get more game time in super 8 dont be surprised if he starts v Donegal or Mayo.

Don't think that poster who was on about 2009 is a Mayo fan, so not sure where he is getting that from. Don't remember the refs robbing us but do remember the bounce and the punch up.
    Regardless. Those forwards were as good as ever played the game. Giles was quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sonny678 wrote:
    That forward line would hammer current great Dublin team by 5 goals in 2010

What?

3 of the Dublin 15 that day are current starters. Of the other 12, not many have been heavily involved for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't think that was ever a penalty for Galway... It wasn't a foot block. Penalty saved anyway

Giles only player to ever win two footballer of the years awards
    Geraghty won All stars at wing back wing forward and full forward
    Tommy Dowd was a triple all.star winner
    Ollie Murphy was best corner forward in Ireland 1999 to 2001
    Evan Kelly won an All star and played international rules
    And Brendan Reilly won an All star and was best full forward in the championship in 1996.

Mayo James Horan won all star but other then that Casey Finnerty McMemanin Loftus no all stars no footballers of the year. Meath had a different level of class upfront.

In last 15 mins of drawn game Meath scored 6 points Mayo scored 0 .
    In last 15 mins of replay Meath scored 1 - 3 Mayo scored 0 - 1.
    So in last 30 mins of football Meath scored 1 - 9 Mayo scored 0 - 1
    . Because Meath had top class forwards Mayo didnt. U cannot win an All Ireland if u score 1 point in last 30 mins of draw and replay and opposition score 1 - 9.
    That Meath teqm along with kerry 1975 team are the two youngest teams to win Sam.ever. Meath leaders were 20 years of age in 1996 eg Giles and Fay.

Brendan Reilly point to win the All Ireland in injury time from difficult angle is best winning point to win an All Ireland in last 50 years. Cluxtons was from a free. None of the Mayo forwards could have scored that point .

That Meath team won 2 All Irelands beat Dublin 4 times in 5 years in leinster championship gave kerry biggest defeat in the championship in 100 years when they beat them by 15 points in semi final 2001 and Meath defeated all the top teams in that era Kerry Mayo Cork Tyrone Armagh kildare Dublin. When they met Galway in 01 they were in serious decline. Defensivly they had all time great defenders like Darren Fay who was seen as best full back in Ireland in 90s and Martin O Connell who was voted greatest wing back in history of gaelic football on team of Milleniun. And John McDermont was one best midfielders in late 90s. That Meath team was just a better team then Mayo. Won more had better players better manager better forwards . Won 2 All Irelands . That alone speaks volumes.

Won't argue the toss with you Sonny with your encylopedia like knowledge,kudos to you.I was more so focussing on the contests as a once off.

Those Meath forwards did indeed develop into some of the games greats as evidenced by their overall success.

Won't disagree with the bolded.

Anyway we renew our rivalry in Croker come a fortnights time!

Super 8s is going to be better for having Mayo. I missed them last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

lawred2 wrote: »
    Super 8s is going to be better for having Mayo. I missed them last year.
    I've grown to appreciate them as a side. Their football and support is very impressive. Other sides such as Kerry, Cork etc have poor support. Tyrone supporters wouldn't even make the short trip to Clones yesterday.

Mayo, Donegal and the Dubs bring a good crowd which is good for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Malachy's eyebrows have a mind of their own.

I've grown to appreciate them as a side. Their football and support is very impressive. Other sides such as Kerry, Cork etc have poor support. Tyrone supporters wouldn't even make the short trip to Clones yesterday.

Mayo, Donegal and the Dubs bring a good crowd which is good for the game.

I've some extended family from over there... They are quite literally football mad. Every single conversation ends up about either the club or the county.

I don't think that was ever a penalty for Galway... It wasn't a foot block. Penalty saved anyway

Watched it back several times.Chris Barrett did not in fact make contact with Burke's leg but he prevented him striking the ball.

So a stonewall footblock.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Watched it back several times.Chris Barrett did not in fact make contact with Burke's leg but he prevented him striking the ball.

So a stonewall footblock.

He cleared the ball with his hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Seen it mentioned on the Sunday game again about Galways "superb forward line". It has almost become a cliche at this stage that Galway are a team with one of the best forward lines in the game that are held back by tactics.
    Is there any real evidence of how good this forward line is, or is it something of an illusion to lend more weight to the moaning (correctly in my view) about Galways tactics.
    For me they are, like the rest of the team - above average, but below the level of the top tier counties.

Stoner wrote:
    The only thing is that with the record of beaten provincial finalist at this stage, it's nearly a disadvantage getting to and losing a final, that adds to the win today.

seligehgit wrote:
    Won't argue the toss with you Sonny with your encylopedia like knowledge,kudos to you.I was more so focussing on the contests as a once off.

seligehgit wrote:
    Those Meath forwards did indeed develop into some of the games greats as evidenced by their overall success.

seligehgit wrote:
    Won't disagree with the bolded.

seligehgit wrote:
    Anyway we renew our rivalry in Croker come a fortnights time!
    Fair enough . To be fair the current Mayo team are a brillant team and the way the have took to fight Dublin is very admirable and u will find in Meath that current Mayo team are very much admired. The one word I would use for this Mayo team is Brave. They r a quality outfit and we know we will be up against it. But whatever happens even if we get badly beaten in 3 games , this year has been sucess and with ten games ( 3 in super 8 , 7 div 1 league) in a row v best teams in the country in next year it will be in priceless experience and worth ten years in div 2. For this young Meath team it will be massive learning experience. look at how Roscommon learned from super 8 and div 1 football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Some seriously good play from Cork in that second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mahony0509 wrote: »

Yep. Ruairi Deane is a dynamo of a footballer.

Mahony0509 wrote: »

Yeah but it had become a training game at that stage

He cleared the ball with his hand
    Agreed. Hand first to ball. Momentum too him into him

Mahony0509 wrote:

Cork's win has gone under the radar TBH, goes to show you what a bit of TV coverage does

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rossie4sam

STB. wrote: »
    You must have been really annoyed to have to register to post that comment!

Yeah I was.
    I think we deserve a little bit of credit for where we are.
    It is a tough group but we are their on credit and have a chance of a result against Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Seadin

Stoner wrote: »
    Cork's win has gone under the radar TBH, goes to show you what a bit of TV coverage does

I expect Cork to perform against Dublin next weekend. Dublin will more than likely win by a bit to spare but it shouldn't be a foregone conclusion Cork fans be hoping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement