Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Seadin wrote: »
    I expect Cork to perform against Dublin next weekend. Dublin will more than likely win by a bit to spare but it shouldn't be a foregone conclusion Cork fans be hoping.
    I'm not going to lie, there's an inkling of confidence here in the county at the moment!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Very hard to gauge where cork are. They should have beaten Kerry, but that result was some walloping yet they languish down the leagues so next weekend could be a cracker or a white wash.
    Mayo v Kerry will tell a take also. Kerry forwards could take us to the cleaners but defense yesterday was much improved.

Rossies against Tyrone will be a cracker . If Harte gets those blacks rescinded then Tyrone should be stronger and cuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Sean on his soap box about the Harte black care suspension, what a surprise.
    They seemed to imply that the player can appeal all 3 black cards, surely that's wrong and it's only the latest one against Cavan he can appeal at this stage? Longford one didn't look anywhere near a black but the one yesterday looked a blatant trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

On what basis should Cork have beaten Kerry I have heard this repeated a lot, Kerry looked to be in trouble briefly but once they went down to 14 they reorganised and took control. I was never overly worried for Kerry tbh and knew they had an extra gear if needed.

Great to see Cork in the Super 8’s, hopefully that will be a catalyst for some ongoing improvement for the rebel’s they really should be a Div 1 county

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, there's an inkling of confidence here in the county at the moment!

Am totally focused on Tyrone and Roscommon games.
    Dublin game is a freebie of sorts.
    Hard to gauge what crowd will travel for it. Early in the season to be paying for a weekend in Dublin and 2 sets of tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The bookies rarely get it wrong, the handicap betting is 11 points for Cork vs Dublin.

I think they've got it wrong.

Hard to gauge just exactly where Cork are but you can sense there's some momentum there. They seem to be clicking and working hard, plenty of really good performances in hard challenge games as well from what I heard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

On what basis should Cork have beaten Kerry I have heard this repeated a lot, Kerry looked to be in trouble briefly but once they went down to 14 they reorganised and took control. I was never overly worried for Kerry tbh and knew they had an extra gear if needed.

Great to see Cork in the Super 8’s, hopefully that will be a catalyst for some ongoing improvement for the rebel’s they really should be a Div 1 county

I suppose Cork scored 3 goals but left another 1 or 2 behind. They never really believed they could win but they had Kerry worried. We'll see how many gears they have, I'm not convinced by Kerry at all. Their back 4 are totally unreliable, they wont be improving much in the coming weeks and that will be their downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

PARlance wrote: »
    The bookies rarely get it wrong, the handicap betting is 11 points for Cork vs Dublin.

Hard to gauge just exactly where Cork are but you can sense there's some momentum there. They seem to be clicking and working hard, plenty of really good performances in hard challenge games as well from what I heard.

We need to get out of the blocks early and get stuck in against Dublin or it could be over very quickly. We started slowly against Kerry and Laois and I would be worried the Dubs will try and put us away early with a couple of goals.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I suppose Cork scored 3 goals but left another 1 or 2 behind. They never really believed they could win but they had Kerry worried. We'll see how many gears they have, I'm not convinced by Kerry at all. Their back 4 are totally unreliable, they wont be improving much in the coming weeks and that will be their downfall.
    Oh I didn’t say I’m convinced be kerry either, I’m not. But to claim cork should have beaten them? I don’t think I’d agree with that, Kerry were never losing that game.

PARlance wrote: »

Since the league finished, Cork have certainly gotten their act together. Plenty of success in challenge games against the top counties, a good performance in many ways v Kerry and they really opened up v laois.
    We have a free shot against Dublin, if we can gain enough possession from kick outs we have scoring fowards. But its Dublin and they know we are a lot better than a team that just got relegated to div 3 should be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oh I didn’t say I’m convinced be kerry either, I’m not. But to claim cork should have beaten them? I don’t think I’d agree with that, Kerry were never losing that game.

It was my impression on the night watching it and a few more mentioned it. I can't remember any major incidents but when Kerry went to 14 I thought cork didn't capitalize.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

It was an impressive win by Cork against Laois it must be said. But I still can't see them doing anything in the super 8s. Playing Division 3 football next year will really be a serious hinderance going forward.

I agree although Cork did throw away several goal chances and the referee gave Kerry plenty of soft frees.

yop wrote: »
    It was my impression on the night watching it and a few more mentioned it. I can't remember any major incidents but when Kerry went to 14 I thought cork didn't capitalize.

Kerry pulled men back to protect their full back line after the sending off and controlled the game after that.

Interestingly Kerry did not push up on Corks kick outs at all really on the night. They completely and utterly destroyed cork mainly by doing that just 12 months previous. I thought it was very peculiar. At the risk of sounding arrogant Im not sure Kerry were going for the jugular from the start. I could be wrong but that’s how I saw it.

@ Fan of Netflix the Cork backs went too far trying to rough Kerry up off the ball and I think that went against them. Ref was fussy although Kerry certainly got a few soft ones admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

in defense of the clare meath game today , it was a really good game , the reason for all the missed pass , hand pass and even kick pass's was because as someone said on the clare thread derek o mahoney was using the 1950s rule book of anything goes in the tackle , as a clare man i willl admit we were lucky not to get 2 or 3 black cards and even a red card for an off the ball between ben brennan and cian o'dea

guys were looking over there shoulders waiting to get hit before receiving a pass, clare are a big side with a chippy attitude like meath so it was not a great watch for neutrals , but the level of long range scores and kicking from distance was excellent ,

marty morrissey made the game sound like a funeral he should never be given clare football games as he is too closely attached to the side and was more interested in how we perform then doing his job

was at the game watched it back on rte looked terrible on tv but was a really good game and meath will be a tough nut to crack in the super 8s especially when james mcintee comes back

in defense of the clare meath game today , it was a really good game , the reason for all the missed pass , hand pass and even kick pass's was because as someone said on the clare thread derek o mahoney was using the 1950s rule book of anything goes in the tackle , as a clare man i willl admit we were lucky not to get 2 or 3 black cards and even a red card for an off the ball between ben brennan and cian o'dea

guys were looking over there shoulders waiting to get hit before receiving a pass, clare are a big side with a chippy attitude like meath so it was not a great watch for neutrals , but the level of long range scores and kicking from distance was excellent ,

marty morrissey made the game sound like a funeral he should never be given clare football games as he is too closely attached to the side and was more interested in how we perform then doing his job

was at the game watched it back on rte looked terrible on tv but was a really good game and meath will be a tough nut to crack in the super 8s especially when james mcintee comes back

Marty shouldn’t be allowed near any Clare hurling games either! He was hysterical during a Munster final against Cork that Clare selectors weren’t making any changes.

Marty shouldn’t be allowed near any Clare hurling games either! He was hysterical during a Munster final against Cork that Clare selectors weren’t making any changes.

100% , canning is completely natural even though he is from cork , marty goes through clare players names , addresses eire codes god knows what else its terrible

he is to be fair an excellent media personality especially on radio his post match show is excellent but too much heart on sleeve stuff if you ask me , he was nervous today commentating that game as we had an outside chance of wining which would have been huge

100% , canning is completely natural even though he is from cork , marty goes through clare players names , addresses eire codes god knows what else its terrible

he is to be fair an excellent media personality especially on radio his post match show is excellent but too much heart on sleeve stuff if you ask me , he was nervous today commentating that game as we had an outside chance of wining which would have been huge

Canning hasn’t coached teams or been involved in local gaa like Marty has.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd take Marty over the other two main commentators all day everyday.
    By saying this I'm not calling Marty a great or even very good commentator.

Canning hasn’t coached teams or been involved in local gaa like Marty has.

marty i dont think has done that much coaching , he played for the clare masters side this year , was on a few development teams for hurling and football back in the day but them development squads nothing close to today's standards

he is a massive kilmurry ibrickane club man in fairness and always promoted football especially in west clare which is why i would prefer a different commentator for clare games because i may as well be calling the game , you cant have a die hard supporter commentating on his team and pretending to be neutral

• Advertisement

marty i dont think has done that much coaching , he played for the clare masters side this year , was on a few development teams for hurling and football back in the day but them development squads nothing close to today's standards

he is a massive kilmurry ibrickane club man in fairness and always promoted football especially in west clare which is why i would prefer a different commentator for clare games because i may as well be calling the game , you cant have a die hard supporter commentating on his team and pretending to be neutral

He coached a lot at schools level in Clare in the 1980’s. It’s on his wiki page!

He coached a lot at schools level in Clare in the 1980’s. It’s on his wiki page!

OK sorry not that old and didnt know he had one but yeah very much a gaa man in fairness much better cv then i have but still shouldn't be given our games because he is too attached to the county

OK sorry not that old and didnt know he had one but yeah very much a gaa man in fairness much better cv then i have but still shouldn't be given our games because he is too attached to the county

Totally agree. He wasn’t too bothered with cork tactics when we were eight down in the first half last year to Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

RTE are always at that. For a Dublin Mayo final a couple of years back they had Carney and Canning commentating. One has cried on the radio when Mayo lost and the other isn't fond of the current Dublin team. It was laughably one sided.

I'm sure they've had Darragh Maloney commentate on a Dublin final too.

You'd think impartiality would be important to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

corny wrote: »
    I'm sure they've had Darragh Maloney commentate on a Dublin final too.
    You'd think impartiality would be important to them.

I'd have to say in my experience, Darragh Maloney is an excellent commentator and is totally impartial. I know it's a long time ago, but as an example, I'd reference the Armagh v Dublin qualifier of 2003, which struck me as a particularly painful defeat for Dublin and yet he was more than generous to Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I also think Darragh Maloney is a fantastic commentator, certainly my favourite to listen to during a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Des Cahill is getting increasingly not fit for purpose.

He asked Malachy O'Rourke during the Super 8s preview did Monaghan lose their first game of the series last year, or was it the year before.

Malachy looked bemused by the question. How hard is it to research even a small bit when you know a recent high-profile manager is the guest for the night? Or are the older heads exempt from doing a bit of prep work?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

He asked Malachy O'Rourke during the Super 8s preview did Monaghan lose their first game of the series last year, or was it the year before.

Malachy looked bemused by the question. How hard is it to research even a small bit when you know a recent high-profile manager is the guest for the night? Or are the older heads exempt from doing a bit of prep work?

It was very awkward - he then mumbled that he was actually thinking of Kerry and their loss to Galway. Cringe.

Thats RTE for you. Basic research is beyond them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Getting tickets for Kerry v Mayo has turned into a lot of fun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement