Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

That is brilliant Cynical Kerry and no mention of what Mayo is doing. Mayo has had three fairly hard games in a row and are an aging team with huge mileage done. Armagh should have turned them over IMO its a 50/50 game both teams have issue's. Kerry had no bench last year as Fitzmaurice had too many older players on it.

Confidence is great but over confidence can be a problem. The game Kerry had against Cork will have showed Kerry where they have issue and they will have had time to sort those issues. As well Kerry played the last 15-20 minutes with 14 men and still scraped out the result after conceeding some stupid scores. Having said all that Kerry are a young and inexperienced team with even some younger players taht were around for 2-3 years such as Burns not making the team and McCarthy dropped of the panel. As well Geany, Moran and Jack Barry not preforming.

Mayo have struggled against Armagh and should have been beaten except for ref allowing them to run down the clock. They put Galway and Down away fairly comfortably. However Galway have gone down hill since they failed to preform against Monoghan last year. Having said that Mayo look fresher than this time last year and they seem to be playing better. Kerry will struggle with there running game and the way there backs come forward. But I still think its a 50/50 game it will depend on who preforms on the day

Those issues were in play for the NFL final v Mayo and no improvement was brought for the Munster final. If the issues still remain its hard to see Mayo not beating Kerry for a 3rd time this year on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That is brilliant Cynical Kerry and no mention of what Mayo is doing. Mayo has had three fairly hard games in a row and are an aging team with huge mileage done. Armagh should have turned them over IMO its a 50/50 game both teams have issue's. Kerry had no bench last year as Fitzmaurice had too many older players on it.

Confidence is great but over confidence can be a problem. The game Kerry had against Cork will have showed Kerry where they have issue and they will have had time to sort those issues. As well Kerry played the last 15-20 minutes with 14 men and still scraped out the result after conceeding some stupid scores. Having said all that Kerry are a young and inexperienced team with even some younger players taht were around for 2-3 years such as Burns not making the team and McCarthy dropped of the panel. As well Geany, Moran and Jack Barry not preforming.

Mayo have struggled against Armagh and should have been beaten except for ref allowing them to run down the clock. They put Galway and Down away fairly comfortably. However Galway have gone down hill since they failed to preform against Monoghan last year.
    Having said that Mayo look fresher than this time last year and they seem to be playing better. Kerry will struggle with there running game and the way there backs come forward. But I still think its a 50/50 game it will depend on who preforms on the day

Looking at that from a purely Mayo positive point of view it can be seen that Mayo have improved as the games have gone on.

Overall performances and individual performances have been better v Armagh than they were v Down, better v Galway than v Armagh.

That's a much better way to be entering the last 8 rather than steadily regressing and just limping through.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

glack wrote: »
    Ya there was one of them that was a very dodgy decision.

If he appeals and gets off, should they be beating Cork the next day out you can be certain he will get a black for the dead rubber against Dublin. So he would not run the risk of picking up another in the semi final and missing the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The mark has definitely helped him

I think it has, but its helped the big Mayo lads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

AT 10/3, anyone think that Cork are a good bet to progress? For sure, they're going to lose the first game, but the match in CP should stand to them v. Tyrone there next, and they'll have a clearer idea then of what is required. Despite the slow start, they gave a good display v Kerry and have been scoring well in the championship this season, always a good sign. Tyrone are maybe not the most consistent, especially in defence. Cork's final game is at home to the Rossies, who may be out at that stage, and in any event are not the complete package yet either I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

I'm not as confident of a Mayo win. We don't have the same upper hand in the middle that we had in the league final. Ruane is a loss in that regard, and Aidan seems to be carrying a knock
    since the Armagh game. I think the two teams could nearly break even in the middle as a result. I also think home advantage will be worth a couple of points at least.
    Would also be a little worried about Stephen O'Brien's influence, he had a good bit of joy against us in the league final and was probably the most effective of Kerry's players that day. Jury's still out on Harrison's season also, imo. We seemed to have tightened up at the back against Galway, but Clifford will be a handful and I wouldn't like to see him get comfortable.

I think it'll be a close thing, maybe a bit niggly and stop start, and could see Kerry pipping it in the end.

The one thing we might have going for us is that if Kerry want to have a physical battle and want to take the game to us that way, I think we could have an edge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Theres an awful lot wrong with the structure of this Kerry team so unless Keane makes vast improvements this weekend then I see Mayo beating us by 4/5.

Against Cork you could have driven a bus through our defence at 5 kmph and still noone would have gotten a hand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

PressRun wrote: »
    I'm not as confident of a Mayo win. We don't have the same upper hand in the middle that we had in the league final. Ruane is a loss in that regard, and Aidan seems to be carrying a knock
    since the Armagh game. I think the two teams could nearly break even in the middle as a result. I also think home advantage will be worth a couple of points at least.
    Would also be a little worried about Stephen O'Brien's influence, he had a good bit of joy against us in the league final and was probably the most effective of Kerry's players that day. Jury's still out on Harrison's season also, imo. We seemed to have tightened up at the back against Galway, but Clifford will be a handful and I wouldn't like to see him get comfortable.

I think it'll be a close thing, maybe a bit niggly and stop start, and could see Kerry pipping it in the end.

The one thing we might have going for us is that if Kerry want to have a physical battle and want to take the game to us that way, I think we could have an edge there.

Id agree with this, it is a hard game to call because the two teams have had very different routes to the Super 8’s and we won’t know how that will play out on the pitch until Sunday. Will Kerry struggle to get to the pace of the game or will Mayo tire after being on the road for three weeks straight, or will the momentum have galvanised them?

There seems to be an assumption that Mayo are just going to roll in to town and do what they did in March. It’s not that simple. I don’t think Mayo are better than Kerry to the degree that the league final suggested and with home advantage and the return of Moran to match Aidan O’Shea I firmly believe Kerry can win on Sunday. Diarmuid O’Connor and Matthew Ruane were also highly influential that day and both are missing for Sunday afaik.

From a Kerry point of view they have been making silly errors at the back and getting away with it throughout Munster. They are also virtually guaranteed to finish with fewer players than the opposition at this stage. If these things don’t change for Sunday they will be in trouble as there is likely to be less than a kick of a ball in it.

It should be very entertaining whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway had a horrendous start against mayo, didn't get going at all until 25mins in, missed and penalty and somehow Mayo still left them in the game. They can't do that against Kerry as if they smell blood I see the kerry forwards going to town.

Kerry just need to tighten up the middle and they'll be hard to beat but it remains to be seen if they can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Peter Harte able to play according to Republican Owen Mulligan :pac:

https://twitter.com/owen_mulligan/status/1149439045648470017?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

dobman88 wrote: »
    Peter Harte able to play according to Republican Owen Mulligan :pac:

https://twitter.com/owen_mulligan/status/1149439045648470017?s=19

Loads of bonfires lit! :):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

Roscommon record v Tyrone is utterly dreadful
    I'm expecting Tyrone by at least 5-8

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

C__MC wrote: »
    Roscommon record v Tyrone is utterly dreadful
    I'm expecting Tyrone by at least 5-8

They drew in the league this year and Roscommon would have beaten them but for a cancelled last minute free due to the stupidity of a Roscommon forward. So their record this year, which is the year that counts, is decent. There's something different about Roscommon this year I think. Cox up front adds a new dimension and is a great outlet for them. And their defence has tightened up. It will be a fascinating game.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

C__MC wrote:
    Roscommon record v Tyrone is utterly dreadful I'm expecting Tyrone by at least 5-8
    Tyrone are flat track bullies against teams who don't have good strength and conditioning. Roscommon didn't have that last year but have it this year. They've made a lot of changes and improved their play. You are grossly underestimating them with your prediction.

A lot of people still viewing the Rossies as also rans. They are a different proposition this year. No reason at all they cannot qualify for the semis. This is no gimme for Tyrone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think all four games will be interesting this weekend.

What I'm hoping is that Cork at least put it up somewhat to Dublin, but that might be wishful thinking.

Kerry and Mayo will be a cracker, Roscommon and Tyrone intriguing if probably a defensive affair from both sides.

Donegal will likely overpower Meath in the fourth game imo.

Just got tickets for next Sundays double header. €30 a bargain imo for Mayo v Meath and Kerry v Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Just got tickets for next Sundays double header. €30 a bargain imo for Mayo v Meath and Kerry v Donegal

How are tickets €30???? when all tickets are €25 this weekend???:mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

On paper these should be good games. Hopefully there's at least 50k in Croker, otherwise even good games can appear flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

snowgal wrote: »

Double header

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tyrone are flat track bullies against teams who don't have good strength and conditioning. Roscommon didn't have that last year but have it this year. They've made a lot of changes and improved their play. You are grossly underestimating them with your prediction.

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

They certainly are but conditioning is something that is built up over a couple of years and while Roscommon have improved in that area Tyrone will still have advantage there.

If Roscommon deliver the same intensity as they did v Galway,Mayo then this game should be a competitive one, but if they are flat after a 4 week break then Tyrone will ease to victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

A lot of people still viewing the Rossies as also rans. They are a different proposition this year. No reason at all they cannot qualify for the semis. This is no gimme for Tyrone.

Have to disagree they beat a wrak Galway team and an undercooked Mayo team.
    I can see Tyrone beating them easy and I dare say that they will not win any game in the super 8s

naughto wrote: »
    Have to disagree they beat a wrak Galway team and an undercooked Mayo team.
    I can see Tyrone beating them easy and I dare say that they will not win any game in the super 8s

We will see. They should have a very good chance of beating cork. I’m not saying they will definitely beat Tyrone but they possibly could on their day. Tyrone need to be careful here, Mickey Harte will not be taking Roscommon lightly.

Jaysus. It's a double header with 3 of the best teams in the country and a decent Meath team that have come on leaps this season. Itll be a great day out and (hopefully) a very high standard of football. €30 is extremely competitive imo when you're paying €25 for a standalone game in Killarney this weekend. The division 1 league finals were €30 for a double header too and it was fantastic value.

Tyrone have better footballers and are more battle hardened. Rossies never dine well once they won connact look at 01, 10 and 17. There all Ireland was connact. Tyrone by 5-8, to cute and experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

C__MC wrote:
    Tyrone have better footballers and are more battle hardened. Rossies never dine well once they won connact look at 01, 10 and 17. There all Ireland was connact. Tyrone by 5-8, to cute and experienced.
    So you missed the part of my post regarding strength and conditioning which they have never had before.
    They have a good set of forwards, they've clearly worked very hard to improve their defense and it appears to be working well. Galway only scored 12 points against them, they scored 1-13 against Mayo. Mayo scored 17 points against Roscommon which is their lowest total in the Championship to this point.
    That's all we have to go on for now but clearly there has been a lot of hard work put in by Roscommon and they've the experience of last year's super 8's too.
    This game will be very close, I fancy the home advantage means Roscommon won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'd prefer to pay €30 tomorrow for a double header. Really cannot understand why the Cork hurlers aren't out tomorrow evening with the Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tyrone boys staying in Athlone tonight by the looks of things. Empty coach tipping around Golden Island as we speak. Probably looking for the KFC shack.

• Advertisement

So you missed the part of my post regarding strength and conditioning which they have never had before.
    They have a good set of forwards, they've clearly worked very hard to improve their defense and it appears to be working well. Galway only scored 12 points against them, they scored 1-13 against Mayo. Mayo scored 17 points against Roscommon which is their lowest total in the Championship to this point.
    That's all we have to go on for now but clearly there has been a lot of hard work put in by Roscommon and they've the experience of last year's super 8's too.
    This game will be very close, I fancy the home advantage means Roscommon won it.

Strength and conditioning argument iffy enough.
    Roscommon players were in division 1 in 2016, was there no s and c back then that would be sufficient? Even 2017?

They where lucky to beat mayo in connaught and barely bet a galway team that had a dreadful 2019.

Tyrone will have to much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement