Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Tyrone boys staying in Athlone tonight by the looks of things. Empty coach tipping around Golden Island as we speak. Probably looking for the KFC shack.

....or a pub with a good old rebel singalong band......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

C__MC wrote:
    Strength and conditioning argument iffy enough. Roscommon players were in division 1 in 2016, was there no s and c back then that would be sufficient? Even 2017?
    As I said, they've never been close to the level of strength and conditioning they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

C__MC wrote: »
    Strength and conditioning argument iffy enough.
    Roscommon players were in division 1 in 2016, was there no s and c back then that would be sufficient? Even 2017?

They where lucky to beat mayo in connaught and barely bet a galway team that had a dreadful 2019.

Tyrone will have to much.

Not that iffy at all as most informed followers of the sport know the teams well ahead of the rest in strength and conditioning at the moment is Dublin,Mayo and Tyrone. Donegal in the last year has caught up but how much shall be seen in the weeks ahead.

Past Roscommon managers John Evans and Kevin McStay talked publicly about their lack strength and conditioning whereby a culture change was needed to get players to buy into it.

4 point winning margin in a 2nd half that Roscommon totally controlled can hardly be called barely and as "dreadful" as Galway were they still managed to stay up in Div 1 unlike Roscommon who fell through trap door. Got a bit of luck in beating Mayo but it was luck that was deserved as they led that game for the majority of it and took the game to Mayo from the off.

Tyrone are rightly favourites for this game, AI finalist last year and side with a good record on the road as seen with their win v Donegal in ballybofey last summer. The first of the All Ireland quarter finals i hope its a good competitive contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭C__MC

We will see tomorrow, good luck to both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you missed the part of my post regarding strength and conditioning which they have never had before.
    They have a good set of forwards, they've clearly worked very hard to improve their defense and it appears to be working well. Galway only scored 12 points against them, they scored 1-13 against Mayo. Mayo scored 17 points against Roscommon which is their lowest total in the Championship to this point.
    That's all we have to go on for now but clearly there has been a lot of hard work put in by Roscommon and they've the experience of last year's super 8's too.
    This game will be very close, I fancy the home advantage means Roscommon won it.

And kicked 19 wides iirc. I thought the Rossies were all over the shop defensively for a lot of that game tbh, especially early on and should have been punished more but hey we will see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Always_Running

And kicked 19 wides iirc. I thought the Rossies were all over the shop defensively for a lot of that game tbh, especially early on and should have been punished more but hey we will see

Some of the scores Mayo got in the 1st half of that game was outstanding efforts under pressure from Coen,Durcan,Ruane and Keegan. 15 wides i believe was the official tally, Roscommon themselves kicked 9 and had the games only other real goal chance that was well saved by Hennelly with his feet.

Roscommon's defensive game under new management is summed up well by Peter Canavan.

Now they have a defensive system to cope with the top teams, as Mayo and Galway can attest. Galway managed just two points in the second half of their Connacht final. Mayo's return on their shots-to-scores ratio was poor too which is a measure of how much pressure they were under - they had to shoot from distance.
    And Roscommon don't just get bodies back. There have been plenty of examples in the last few weeks of teams willing to work hard but not working smart. Kildare and Cavan have been prime examples. They'd have loads of bodies around but they are being passive and not taking up the correct positions. When Roscommon defend, they do it with purpose.

Credit to Cunningham, everyone knows their job in defence. And on top of that they have a handful of players who seem to enjoy defending and winning turnovers and making tackles. Roscommon are playing like a team who are happy in their skin.

As i said already deliver the same intensity as they did v Galway,Mayo then this game should be a competitive one but its a 4 week gap since their last game which could be a help or hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Notice how the Dubs are calling this stage of the competition by its correct name.

D_Wb8baXoAAdou3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Rossies are gonna take Tyrone, there I said it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Some team that from the Dubs. Cork going to get battered, waste of a Super 8s spot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Some team that from the Dubs. Cork going to get battered, waste of a Super 8s spot.

You keep harping on that Cork are a waste of a spot.
    They beat who they had to, beat them well in fact.
    You've mentioned it again and again what your opinion of Cork is.
    We get it.

So do us all a favour and give it a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Gael85

Cillian O'Connor Championship Scoring Record

Player County Year Games Starts Subs Goals Points Total

O'Connor, Cillian Mayo 2011 5 4 1 1 19 22
    2012 5 5 0 0 28 28
    2013 5 4 1 6 22 40
    2014 6 6 0 5 36 51
    2015 5 5 0 3 34 43
    2016 9 9 0 2 44 50
    2017 9 9 0 3 66 75
    2018 4 3 1 3 22 31
    2019 2 1 1 0 8 8
    50 46 4 23 279 348

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublin will keep cork at arms length
    High scoring I would say with cork missing goal chances.
    Dublin by 7
    3.18 /1.17

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just cork give a good account of themselves tonight against the dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just hope cork give a good account of themselves tonight against the dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Us Cork fans aren't concerned about tonight's game in the slightest honestly. Qualifying for the Super 8s was enough of a win for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Us Cork fans aren't concerned about tonight's game in the slightest honestly. Qualifying for the Super 8s was enough of a win for this year.

I agree with that. if we can keep it within 10 points at the end I would be happy enough. Anything else is a bonus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Experience of playing in Croker, that's tonight's game. Kinda a win win for Cork. Lose badly = everyone else does too, it was expected. Give them a game, fair dues to Cork.
    The next game will tell more of where Cork are and we should really be capable of beating Roscommon at home, when most likely, both are already out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cork havnt played Dublin in Croker in a long time. Like most teams, they'll come on leaps and bounds from the experience. Enjoy it lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You keep harping on that Cork are a waste of a spot.
    They beat who they had to, beat them well in fact.
    You've mentioned it again and again what your opinion of Cork is.
    We get it.

So do us all a favour and give it a rest.
    So sensitive. Enjoy tonight.

So sensitive. Enjoy tonight.

Not sensitive, just bored with repetition.

I will enjoy tonight.

Then, I will enjoy tomorrow too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Are Sky not bothering with any build up to the first game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Are Sky not bothering with any build up to the first game?
    Its on red button

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Its on red button

They could hardly cut into Fish-o-Mania Live 2019 after all:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Nervous start by Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Definite improvement in Roscommon this year
    A very definite system of play
    They may well fall short as they are a few players short but impressive from Cunningham all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Lovely score but Tyrone go straight down other end and make the gap 2 again

Great score by Enda Smith.

They're far more of a threat when they attack at pace and cut out the laboured build up play.

Tyrone are just breezing their way down the pitch to score. Roscommon working harder for theirs. Not being outplayed but would fear they could be opened up.

Awful free

• Advertisement

Some lovely touches by Enda Smith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement