Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I couldn’t care less to be honest. If you don’t know the structure of the super 8’s that’s your problem.
    You don't seem to be getting the point about the whole advantage thing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You don’t comprehend simple English then if you know the setup of the super 8.

The setup is Dublin get 2 home games. Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Jack McCaffrey. Lance Armstrong engine on him. Unreal.

If he could score like Philly McMahon he'd be a footballer ;) He's only an athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭This is it

I couldn’t care less to be honest. If you don’t know the structure of the super 8’s that’s your problem.

I'll fill you in. It's Croke Park, it's a neutral venue for those two teams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Do you disagree with the fact that Dublin get the advantage of having an additional home game?

Dublin, like all teams play one away, one home ( Croke Park being decided by the GAA) and a Croke Park game. Thems the rules, if you’ve an issue get your club to table a motion at county board level and bring it to Congress.

• Advertisement

Dublin, like all teams play one away, one home ( Croke Park being decided by the GAA) and a Croke Park game. Thems the rules, if you’ve an issue get your club to table a motion at county board level and bring it to Congress.
    Responses like this are why things will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Do you disagree with the fact that Dublin get the advantage of having an additional home game?

GAA supporters get the advantage... because there is such a demand for tickets the game is played in a venue that can accommodate both sets of supporters, that happens to be Croke Park... chosen for its ability to have the desired capacity to facilitate the countrywide DEMANDS for tickets.

This is it wrote: »
    I'll fill you in. It's Croke Park, it's a neutral venue for those two teams :)
    The ignorance of the structure is showing. I’ve posted the structure in another post, please keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

It is not surprising that the 2 teams with the most money are current all Ireland champs
    Dublin football and limerick hurling awash with money from under age development up to the professional senior squad

Dublin and limerick are both fully professional and for any team to challenge them going forward their county board will need to chase very rich benefactors

Sadly the gaa top brass are too busy chasing money to realise that it’s the money that is killing the gaa

Collie D wrote: »
    I’m not questioning the accuracy of the quote but the fact you’ve compared Dublin to probably the most notorious drug cheat in sporting history.

Look I don't have enough posts to quote on YouTube. Actually a ton of athletes have dopped, what was worse about Lance was the way he treated people.

Dublin are a great football team like I said before. But are they given advantages, absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That would be a crazy argument. A logical argument would be if any other county had the population advantage of Dublin and massive resources were pumped into both development of under age players and the set up of the senior team the very likely outcome is a team who would be as dominant as Dublin are.

Dublin are a great team team with exceptional footballers but this was inevitable.

no county have the population of dublin , cork have a huge population and hurling is there main game down there , they have not won an all ireland since the mid 00s

dublin dont have anywhere near the same level of players coming through the under age set up like they had 5 or 10 years ago so to be fair this is a once off

the reason i am not buying the financial agreement is simple. some of the best football counties have gone miles backwards likes of kildare and meath in the past cork also up north the likes of down armagh and derry are not as strong as they used to be , i am not basing them against dublin i am basing them against the top 5 ,

kerry donegal tyrone and mayo are the teams that have a realistic chance of beating dublin and wining an all ireland no other team dose after that

and even if you took dublin out of the equation altogether the all ireland would be dominated by kerry , mayo tyrone or donegal and no one else because they are too far behind

Responses like this are why things will never change.

It’s there for you to change it. But of course it’s easier to come on boards and whine about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Dublin in Croke Park again next week is just wrong.There should be no Super 8 games in Croke Park.

I disagree. Given that there are 3 games, 1 at home, 1 away makes sense. Croke Park has hosted the quarter finals for years and it would unfair to deny the other 7 teams a chance to play in Croke Park just because it gives the Dubs an advantage. Remember that 4 teams will be knocked out so it will possibly be the only time they play in Croke Park in a given year (Cork for example).

What should happen is that Dublin should nominate a home venue and they cannot use Croke Park. I’m not entirely convinced by the money argument but if you were to follow that line, they should have enough cash to build a decent stadium. I know that will take a few years but that might get them to get a move on. Look at Waterford getting their act together when they were denied home games in Munster. Nowlan Park or PortLaoise are potential options in the meantime.
    Spawell has been mooted as an option for a Dublin stadium or a left field alternative would be a ground-share with the cricket team at Abbotstown. People may laugh at that suggestion but Eden Park in NZ and MCG in Oz are examples where it works. Maybe sell naming rights to AIG?

It’s a real pity that today’s match wasn’t a double header with the hurling. What’s even more crazy is that the match was fixed when Dublin looked odds on to bet Laois and face Tipp in the other match. Now given Laois won, it might have been better to play that match in PortLaoise and played a Cork double header in Croke Park (could this be due to it being Dublin’s “home match” and theme getting gate receipts??)

I think other teams should be encouraged by today’s match. Yes Dublin won comfortably in the end but that was mainly due to Cork running out of steam. A little more composure in front of goal meaning they could have been level/ a point up with 10 to go and they would have been able to sit back a little more rather than having to attack. But they did show several weaknesses in a Dublin team who as much as some don’t want to believe it are on the downhill cycle hat least for the elder statesmen in the team). Surprisingly Cork didn’t play much high ball in as Dublin were expecting and exposed other potential weaknesses.

Finally, one thing I can’t help but notice is that when Dublin play zonal on kick outs they leave a pocket of opposition players between the full and half forward lines. This was shown in clips by Joe Brolley before the match and happened a lot today. I know that the keeper would be kicking blind but surely some video analysis has picked this up as the way to win possession on kick outs??? Unfortunately this option would have saved Cork from one of the goals near the end as the keeper was caught between 2 minds. Something to watch going forward though

So 2 home games for Dublin. Thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

A good few Cork fans beforehand saying the experience of playing in Croke Park no matter the outcome will be a big boost to their side. Imagine being a county that gets to play every game in Crike Park, for experience or other.

And yes I would say there is PED use across the board in GAA. It happens in every serious sport.

When amateurs are doing it in gyms across the country.

Am I implying Dublin. NO. That would be grossly unfair. But I think their training and recovery is ahead of others given the AIG link and extra finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It is not surprising that the 2 teams with the most money are current all Ireland champs
    Dublin football and limerick hurling awash with money from under age development up to the professional senior squad

Dublin and limerick are both fully professional

I can only speak for Dublin but the players all have day jobs or studying, Jim Gavin has a day job too and presumably many of the background team.

If again it’s money...Dublin hurlers ? Limerick footballers ?

The ignorance of the structure is showing. I’ve posted the structure in another post, please keep up.

Regardless of the reason why, and we're all sick of saying it's not Dublin's fault but the GAA's, why can't you recognise that it's an advantage for Dublin to play neutral games in their de facto home of Croke Park?

I invite you to give me a yes or no answer, just for the craic : is it an advantage?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So 2 home games for Dublin. Thanks for clarifying.

No probs, comprehension not a strong point. Anyway I’m happy that you take some solace in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

no county have the population of dublin , cork have a huge population and hurling is there main game down there , they have not won an all ireland since the mid 00s

dublin dont have anywhere near the same level of players coming through the under age set up like they had 5 or 10 years ago so to be fair this is a once off

the reason i am not buying the financial agreement is simple. some of the best football counties have gone miles backwards likes of kildare and meath in the past cork also up north the likes of down armagh and derry are not as strong as they used to be , i am not basing them against dublin i am basing them against the top 5 ,

kerry donegal tyrone and mayo are the teams that have a realistic chance of beating dublin and wining an all ireland no other team dose after that

and even if you took dublin out of the equation altogether the all ireland would be dominated by kerry , mayo tyrone or donegal and no one else because they are too far behind

I’m aware no other county has the same population. I obviously meant hypothetically. Combine the population advantage with massive resources being pumped in and this is the natural outcome.

A once off? The 2018 team was fairly significantly different from the 2015 team, six players started that didn’t in 2015. That’s not even close to being the same team. As I referenced earlier the Kerry team that won four in a row had one change from the 78 final which was injury enforced.

This is the new normal. Dublin will win 80% of championships going forward barring significant changes.

• Advertisement

Regardless of the reason why, and we're all sick of saying it's not Dublin's fault but the GAA's, why can't you recognise that it's an advantage for Dublin to play neutral games in their dd, facto home of Croke Park?

I invite you to give me a yes or no answer, just for the craic : is it an advantage?

Comprehend home and Croke Park. Neither of which are the county ground.

And yes I would say there is PED use across the board in GAA. It happens in every serious sport.

When amateurs are doing it in gyms across the country.

Am I implying Dublin. NO. That would be grossly unfair. But I think their training and recovery is ahead of others given the AIG link and extra finances.

you do understand players are tested for PEDs like other sports ?

so in that case why was the cork game not played at yer home venue in parnell park

Strumms wrote: »
    I can only speak for Dublin but the players all have day jobs or studying, Jim Gavin has a day job too and presumably many of the background team.

If again it’s money...Dublin hurlers ? Limerick footballers ?

Hurling is different, the skills tend to be harder to coach. It's more rooted to geographical areas. Most of the Laois hurlers come from the Ballacolla/Rathdowney area. Ballygeehan was the team from there who won the 1915 All Ireland for Laois. The gym won't make a hurler. It'll help with strength and speed but if you haven't the wrists, forget it.

Lads going to have to step out of this. I’m in a different time zone and need bed.All the best and what a great win it was.

you do understand players are tested for PEDs like other sports ?

You do understand Windy that tests go out of date every 6 mts with masking drugs etc? Many escape who take.

Lads going to have to step out of this. I’m in a different time zone and need bed.All the best and what a great win it was.
    Some skill at avoiding answering questions to be fair to you.

No probs, comprehension not a strong point. Anyway I’m happy that you take some solace in my post.

The occasional Dublin fan will acknowledge that playing nearly every game at home is certainly an advantage (how much is arguable but an advantage none the less). Those who claim there is no advantage at all, or laughably those who insist Croke Park isn't their home venue are just having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭This is it

There was only so long you could dodge for :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You do realise that there is no neutral game in the super 8’s????

If Dublin win the All Ireland this year, how many games will they play?

How many will not be in Croke Park?

Croke Park - call it what you want- everyone else knows- is Dublin's defacto Home Ground.

It is what it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement