Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Sorry for changing the subject lads but when oh when are RTE going to let Joe Brolly go?
    He really is an insufferable pr**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Responses like this are why things will never change.

It’s there for you to change it. But of course it’s easier to come on boards and whine about it.

Dublin cold also propose to change it. But they don’t. Because it benefits them greatly. Dublin could hand back the massive sums of money they get, but they don’t because it benefits them.

That sort of comment you made basically mean you recognise your advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Do the Dubs play their neutral game in Tullamore or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

'I was with David Gough at the Pride March, he's a great guy'.. Joe Brolly.

Now I think David is a great ref and saw him on the Late Late and he's a decent man. But..

1. Is Brolly virtue signalling?
    2. WTF has that got to do with the match? What has someone's sexuality got to do with sports analysis?
    3. Would he say 'Maurice Deegan is a really sound straight man. Was chatting to him in the pub'?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So 2 home games for Dublin. Thanks for clarifying.

4 home games in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The National GAA Stadium is,regardless how it is argued, the home of Dublin football.Unfair,yes.
    Dublin v Roscommon next week should be in O'Connor Park,Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The occasional Dublin fan will acknowledge that playing nearly every game at home is certainly an advantage (how much is arguable but an advantage none the less). Those who claim there is no advantage at all, or laughably those who insist Croke Park isn't their home venue are just having a laugh.

The reality is one of the 2 is not a home game. That’s like saying Tottenham vs any other team in an FA cup final at Wembley is a home game because Tottenham played there when White Hart Lane was being built. Wembley like Croke Park is the national stadium owned by the organisation not the club/county. The fact that Croke Park is located in Dublin is because Dublin is the capital of Ireland. I know some down in Cork don’t want to admit that, but the capital will always be the home of the national stadium. I challenge anyone to point to any country where the national stadium isn’t in the capital? Yes I am aware there may be rare examples.

Like I have said previously, the solution is that Dublin cannot nominate Croke Park as their “home venue“ for in this case today’s match but they would still play I think it’s Roscommon in Croke Park as that is their game in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Send them off to thurles or Cork and give them an idea how the rest of us feel having to go to Dublin. Less than 30k Dubs showed up for their HOME game tonight so crowd wouldn't be an issue.

4 home games in a row

Again only 1 of them was a “home game”. They Leinster finals in both football and hurling will always be in Croke Park. The semi finals have been in Croke Park the past few years to give the other teams a chance to play there. Both these decisions have been made by Leinster council and are out of Dublin’s control. Today’s game was yes a home game for Dublin and they nominated Croke Park a their venue. Next week, they will play in Croke Park as their Croke Park game as the system is designed.
    If you were to actually look at this from a neutral point of view, Dublin should be playing more Leinster games in Croke park if you were to go by a home/away agreement with other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

Strumms wrote: »
    I can only speak for Dublin but the players all have day jobs or studying, Jim Gavin has a day job too and presumably many of the background team.

If again it’s money...Dublin hurlers ? Limerick footballers ?

How is it possible for limerick hurlers and Dublin footballers to have the physical conditioning they have if they are actually amateurs
    Their upper body strength and stamina are of professionals
    It isn’t possible for amateurs
    Also Dublin hurlers do not get the same money as the footballers
    Just like limerick footballers don’t get the same money as the limerick hurlers
    Not even close

• Advertisement

How many times does it have to be said, there is no such thing as a neutral game in the super 8s

1 game at home
    1 game away
    1 game in Croke Park

It’s not that hard to understand

The National GAA Stadium is,regardless how it is argued, the home of Dublin football.Unfair,yes.
    Dublin v Roscommon next week should be in O'Connor Park,Tullamore.

But then Roscommon wouldn’t have a game in Croke Park?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Last Stop wrote: »
    But then Roscommon wouldn’t have a game in Croke Park?!?
    I'm sure Roscommon would have no issue not playing the Dubs in Croke Park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

How many times does it have to be said, there is no such thing as a neutral game in the super 8s

1 game at home
    1 game away
    1 game in Croke Park

So, 1 away game this year.

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Responses like this are why things will never change.

This makes no sense

you do realise that all next weeks games are on in a neutral venue , bar dublin of course :rolleyes:

They are in Croke Park, not a neutral venue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Strumms wrote:
    GAA supporters get the advantage... because there is such a demand for tickets the game is played in a venue that can accommodate both sets of supporters, that happens to be Croke Park ... chosen for its ability to have the desired capacity to facilitate the countrywide DEMANDS for tickets.
    Well there was fvck all demand today...

They are in Croke Park, not a neutral venue :rolleyes:
    Croke Park is a neutral venue for every team except Dublin. So Dublin get an extra home game.
    I cannot understand why you can't comprehend that? It's basic stuff, yer showing very low intelligence by constantly acting like we're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

1 game at home
    1 game away
    1 game in Croke Park

So when is Dublin's home game, in their home ground?

Because I can’t see it?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    So, 1 away game this year.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

You like many others on here are confusing correlation and causation.

Dublin will play 1 home championship match this year (today). That is a fact.
    The fact that should they win the All-Ireland, they will have played in Croke Park 6 times is a coincidence of their geographic location as the capital of Ireland and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

How is it possible for limerick hurlers and Dublin footballers to have the physical conditioning they have if they are actually amateurs
    Their upper body strength and stamina are of professionals
    It isn’t possible for amateurs
    Also Dublin hurlers do not get the same money as the footballers
    Just like limerick footballers don’t get the same money as the limerick hurlers
    Not even close
    You say it’s of professionals but in reality it’s not - how many professional athletes have day jobs - doctors/accountants - whatever about companies perhaps given extra time off for inter county players - they can’t wing professional exams - so not only are they hitting gym eating clean but they are also studying and working - they also have to have a life outside of football. It’s take dedication.

You could offer 5 random unfit lads on here all the resources needed from food to personal PTs with the a goal of running say a sub 4 hour marathon and have a 6 pack - and offering those who achieve it 250k - with the only catch being you still have to have your day job/studies etc. And you’ll soon find out that all the resources in the world won’t matter if they don’t have the mindset to do - if they don’t want to bad enough they will give up after 3 months 6 months - be it too tired/ no time or **** getting in the way.

Why is it that Kerry/Donegal/Mayo/Tyrone come back year after year - what is it that they are doing that the likes of other county teams not doing? Dublin have won 4 in a row - but they haven’t won the finals by 10+ points - they win them usually with a just a score to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The ironic/funny thing is the first crowd to stop going to this ever descending sham en masse will be the Dublin crowd.

Dublin will play 1 home championship match this year (today). That is a fact.
    I think you should stop replying.

Lads if you continue to be ignorant of facts then I’m sorry I can’t help ye.

No one has disputed my Tottenham analogy so I think ye get the point.

Do I agree with the advantages Dublin have, in terms of population and money? Absolutely not. But there are ways of addressing that instead of having a moan about a system that is designed to be fair for everyone and just happens to slightly favour Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Back to theme of this trend
    Roscommon very disappointing today
    Tyrone are extremely good

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

How about not having to make bus journeys across the friggin country week after week? Have gigantic sponsors, unfair advantages like the National Centre of Excellence and ridiculous membership fees in their clubs so there is doping going on no matter how much you deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

The ironic/funny thing is the first crowd to stop going to this ever descending sham en masse will be the Dublin crowd.

Sure they have stopped going already . For every 1 person that was there today there was room for 2 more . 2 biggest counties in Ireland . As I said earlier people are bored even there own . The excitement of going to a match is the will they or won’t they win . When ya know the result before the match your not enticed to go.

So where is this magical other venue in Co. Dublin that hold 30,000 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

C__MC wrote: »
    Back to theme of this trend
    Roscommon very disappointing today
    Tyrone are extremely good

Tyrone are better then most but Dublin will beat them easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

But if the game was in Parnell Park which holds 10k? The demand would out weight the supply.

Be honest here - let’s say Dublin changed their home game to Parnell Park and where playing Mayo - a Team whose fans travel in numbers - how exactly would this work for BOTH set of fans who have both seasons tickets or Parnell passes which state that have the right to attend games?? Could that turn out to be false advertising if the ground wasn’t big enough?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement