Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Good game of football i thought. Both sides got some super scores.

Cork took Dublin on the way Mayo used to but they don't have the athletic abilities to win that game. They got outpaced in general play too often and once one is beaten you're scrambling in defence. You'll haemorrhage goal chances as a result. Thats not a criticism mind you. I admire the intent. There's never been a team as mobile as Dublin and its not like they lack the football to back it up either.

Cork will beat Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

C__MC wrote: »
    Back to theme of this trend
    Roscommon very disappointing today
    Tyrone are extremely good

Thought Tyrone looked a bit laboured today myself. Only managed to see the second half though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

corny wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with Roscommon today. Fairly confident this is an accurate prediction.

I'd say Jack McCaffrey has to be odds-on for POTY after tonight. Head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corny wrote: »
    Good game of football i thought. Both sides got some super scores.

Cork took Dublin on the way Mayo used to but they don't have the athletic abilities to win that game. They got outpaced in general play too often and once one is beaten you're scrambling in defence. You'll haemorrhage goal chances as a result. Thats not a criticism mind you. I admire the intent. There's never been a team as mobile as Dublin and its not like they lack the football to back it up either.

Cork Tyrone could be decent next weekend.

You would expect Tyrone to win but Cork will put it up to them. Expect lots of off the ball shenanigans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Last Stop wrote: »
    So where is this magical other venue in Co. Dublin that hold 30,000 people?

Well if ur current stadium isnt big enough, do what other counties did and build a new stadium. Money is not an issue. Hurlers played their home games in parnell park.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

You like many others on here are confusing correlation and causation.

Dublin will play 1 home championship match this year (today). That is a fact.
    The fact that should they win the All-Ireland, they will have played in Croke Park 6 times is a coincidence of their geographic location as the capital of Ireland and nothing more.

And there is no advantage so shut up everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lads if you continue to be ignorant of facts then I’m sorry I can’t help ye.

No one has disputed my Tottenham analogy so I think ye get the point.

Do I agree with the advantages Dublin have, in terms of population and money? Absolutely not. But there are ways of addressing that instead of having a moan about a system that is designed to be fair for everyone and just happens to slightly favour Dublin.

Because it was a stupid analogy that's why. If Dublin were temporarily in Croker while Parnell Park was being redeveloped then it might be a reasonable analogy. But because it's not, the analogy is senseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I'd say Jack McCaffrey has to be odds-on for POTY after tonight. Head and shoulders above the rest.

You could argue Jack Mc is the greatest of all time. How many All Ireland’s has he won? Influential in all of them. Won POTY once before. Probably favourite for it this year. I saw somewhere here only Trevor Giles has won 2 POTY awards. And he’s only what 25/26? Coming into his peak.

Well if ur current stadium isnt big enough, do what other counties did and build a new stadium. Money is not an issue. Hurlers played their home games in parnell park.

Because supply and demand...do you want Dublin to build a stadium that can hold 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k and so on up to 70k just to accomodate variable situations? Cop on, jesus christ

Honestly the level of intelligence by some in this thread makes me fear the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

naughtb4 wrote: »

You would expect Tyrone to win but Cork will put it up to them. Expect lots of off the ball shenanigans!

Cork will find it hard after today I'd imagine.

Because supply and demand...do you want Dublin to build a stadium that can hold 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k and so on up to 70k? Cop on, jesus christ

Honestly the level of intelligence by some in this thread makes me fear the future

Your not getting 70k to a match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

All the Dubs 30 mimns away by public transport from Croke Park and they don't bother turning up

Cork will find it hard after today I'd imagine.
    I disagree. Nobody expected them to win, the result is fairly irrelevant. They gave it a go for as long as they could, which is a massive positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

You like many others on here are confusing correlation and causation.

Dublin will play 1 home championship match this year (today). That is a fact.
    The fact that should they win the All-Ireland, they will have played in Croke Park 6 times is a coincidence of their geographic location as the capital of Ireland and nothing more.

6 games from 7 in Croke Park.

From a Correlation and Causation perspective, that's handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

naughtb4 wrote: »

Yeah it will. The assuredness Cork showed in possession amazed me tbh. Some division one teams aren't that composed when they have the ball. They'll need to repeat that to get some joy out of Tyrone though. Dublin will give you the chances to play (they like open games and their full back line can be got at) that Tyrone just won't. Different game will unfold but they're not without a chance for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Outside of Cork, no other county has built a new stadium in at least the last 20 years and that is during the biggest economic boom the country is even likely to experience.
    The hurlers would struggle to fill a ground any bigger than Parnell Park at the moment so I don’t see why they would need a bigger venue.

Your not getting 70k to a match

But what if Mayo say they are brining 30k we need a stadium to support 40k dublin fans.

I hate to be pedantic but what happens when carlow come? We need the 30k stadium maybe? It is up to thr GAA to sort out but it is a geopolitical issue at this point and one that wont be solved soon and im just sick to death of people moaning. Almost looking forward to when another team wins a couple of years in a row (which will happen)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    6 games from 7 in Croke Park.

From a Correlation and Causation perspective, that's handy.

You’re lack of understanding of basic statistics is an embarrassment to the Irish education system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

I was surprised by how good Cork were today. Kicked some lovely points and that was a cruel scoreline on them. I thought they looked a tidy side.
    They played very well and didn't just put everyone behind the ball like others do against the Dubs.
    Good side in the making there.

• Advertisement

Outside of Cork, no other county has built a new stadium in at least the last 20 years and that is during the biggest economic boom the country is even likely to experience.
    The hurlers would struggle to fill a ground any bigger than Parnell Park at the moment so I don’t see why they would need a bigger venue.

But plenty of counties have rebuilt or expanded their current stadium in the last 20 years

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Because it was a stupid analogy that's why. If Dublin were temporarily in Croker while Parnell Park was being redeveloped then it might be a reasonable analogy. But because it's not, the analogy is senseless.

But there are countless similar examples all over the world.
    Glasgow playing the pro14 final in Glasgow
    Leinster having a neutral semi final in the Aviva
    Munich playing the champions league final on their home pitch.

But what if Mayo say they are brining 30k we need a stadium to support 40k dublin fans.

I hate to be pedantic but what happens when carlow come? We need the 30k stadium maybe? It is up to thr GAA to sort out but it is a geopolitical issue at this point and one that wont be solved soon and im just sick to death of people moaning. Almost looking forward to when another team wins a couple of years in a row (which will happen)

What happens when Mayo are the home team to Dublin and dubs want to bring 40k?

But plenty of counties have rebuilt or expanded their current stadium in the last 20 years

And a significant number of them have been criticised on forums like this for being white elephants

What happens when Mayo are the home team to Dublin and dubs want to bring 40k?

Mayo should build a new stadium to accomodate it by the logic of the original post

But there are countless similar examples all over the world.
    Glasgow playing the pro14 final in Glasgow
    Leinster having a neutral semi final in the Aviva
    Munich playing the champions league final on their home pitch.

champions league is different as final location changes every year

• Registered Users Posts: 38,133 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jeez, when did the idiots take over the thread, just read about twenty pages of immature rubbish.
    Was at the Roscommon/Tyrone game. Rossies are coming but they really missed their best player today. The experience of this year should improve them.
    Dubs got it done as per usual but teams have been more successful against them in possession this year.
    Fancy Donegal will give them a serious test.
    Cork are capable of being a big team if they stick together and work hard.

Mayo should build a new stadium to accomodate it by the logic of the original post

I am asking you and not the original post. Please answer it

bo
    I would totally be in favour of the final being moved around the 4 'main' stadiums in each province provided casement park is done but it wont happen becaus the GAA wont let god knows how much money go down the drain.

This is what it boils down to, dont blame Dublin, blame the GAA

• Advertisement

Your logic is baffling and I think you are well aware that you are fighting a losing battle at this stage so please for the sake of all the other posters, who are keen to discuss what was for the most part a decent competitive gameof football at one of the best stadiums in the world, remove the chip off your shoulder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement