Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

I am asking you and not the original post. Please answer it

They cant for geopolitical reasons unfortunately. The sport and the island is so unique that it wont be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

A sell out in Killarney! Can not wait!! I’m in Killarney as I type! C’mon Mayooooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Barlett wrote: »
    A sell out in Killarney! Can not wait!! I’m in Killarney as I type! C’mon Mayooooo!!!

How much can it hold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

How much can it hold?
    They've reduced it to 31,000 as far as i know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Last Stop wrote: »
    You’re lack of understanding of basic statistics is an embarrassment to the Irish education system

Yeah, I reckon you are the proof of that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    They've reduced it to 31,000 as far as i know

It can hold over 10k more but because it's a stand alone fixture, its reduced - health and safety, everyone arriving at the same time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Hard to believe there are Dubs who still believe Parnell Park is their home ground. I can't remember the last league or championship game they played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

But what if Mayo say they are brining 30k we need a stadium to support 40k dublin fans.
    Newbridge held 8k last year. Demand be damned. If parnell park is the home ground then thats where it should be played.
    Ace2007 wrote:
    Be honest here - let’s say Dublin changed their home game to Parnell Park and where playing Mayo - a Team whose fans travel in numbers - how exactly would this work for BOTH set of fans who have both seasons tickets or Parnell passes which state that have the right to attend games?? Could that turn out to be false advertising if the ground wasn’t big enough?
    Like someone else has said here, why not develop Parnell park to a 30-40 seater ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How is it possible for limerick hurlers and Dublin footballers to have the physical conditioning they have if they are actually amateurs
    Their upper body strength and stamina are of professionals
    It isn’t possible for amateurs
    Also Dublin hurlers do not get the same money as the footballers
    Just like limerick footballers don’t get the same money as the limerick hurlers
    Not even close

I use the same gym as the Dublin GAA teams.

I’m not a sports person yet access to that facility is through my own pocket.

As AMAZING a facility as it is, access is completely attainable for everyone in the locality.

Dublin hurlers get every single resource they require, same as the footballers.

If winning was about writing big fûck off cheques then the hurlers would be cleaning up. Dublin are successful at football because of the combination of..

1) hard work
    2) dedication
    3) passion
    4) will to win
    5) teamwork
    6) skill
    7) enthusiastic people on and off the pitch

They know to train the body, mind and skills.

Hard to believe there are Dubs who still believe Parnell Park is their home ground. I can't remember the last league or championship game they played there.

The hurlers do play a few games there, but Terminologies are apparently different for the footballers, or the vast simply step in. Some people prefer to split hairs citing correlation etc as factors but the statistics show Croke Park is basically where Dublin footballers play championship football.

To think or even say otherwise is simply wrong.

Right or wrong, it doesn't matter, it's a simple fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    It can hold over 10k more but because it's a stand alone fixture, its reduced - health and safety, everyone arriving at the same time.

That’s not the reason at all. There are more season tickets than seats in the main stand so they had to make in general admission. This means that they hold additional space back as unlike when seats are allocated, there will be some seats empty for various reasons. This coupled with the fact that they are opening the ground fully as opposed to breaking it by sections means that it is far safer to reduce the capacity instead of having congestion with people arriving wanting to go to the side rather than stand behind the goal

Newbridge held 8k last year. Demand be damned. If parnell park is the home ground then thats where it should be played.

Like someone else has said here, why not develop Parnell park to a 30-40 seater ground.

Too much money to be made im afraid, blame the GAA. Im sure if it came to it the players would have no problem playing there.

With regards to developing Parnell Park talk to the GAA and Dublin City Council and their planning departments. Believe it or not, Dublin doesnt have the ability to click its fingers and have planning permission or funds for such a development.

Strumms wrote: »

As AMAZING a facility as it is, access is completely attainable for everyone in the locality.

If winning was about writing big fûck off cheques then the hurlers would be cleaning up. Dublin are successful at football because of the combination of..

1) hard work
    2) dedication
    3) passion
    4) will to win
    5) teamwork
    6) skill

But its about more than what you listed. Donegal, Tyrone, Kerry.....do they not have the above in spades aswell?

And that is why the GAA wanted the game not to be played in Newbridge.

Parnell will never be developed more than now due to the constrained nature of the site and the traffic impact it would have.
    If Dublin are going to build a new stadium it will be spawell or potentially Abbotstown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Outside of Cork, no other county has built a new stadium in at least the last 20 years and that is during the biggest economic boom the country is even likely to experience.
    The hurlers would struggle to fill a ground any bigger than Parnell Park at the moment so I don’t see why they would need a bigger venue.

But plenty of counties have rebuilt or expanded their current stadium in the last 20 years
    And had to pay for it out of their own resources might I add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

You could argue Jack Mc is the greatest of all time. How many All Ireland’s has he won? Influential in all of them. Won POTY once before. Probably favourite for it this year. I saw somewhere here only Trevor Giles has won 2 POTY awards. And he’s only what 25/26? Coming into his peak.

Ah come off it. He's a speedster and this sets up scoring chances but he's a poor shooter at the highest level. Con O'Callaghan, Ciaran Kilkenny, Brian Fenton etc are the real 'gaelic footballers'.

Well there was fvck all demand today...

More demand than could likely be facilitated in any other existing ground.

The hurlers do play a few games there, but Terminologies are apparently different for the footballers, or the vast simply step in. Some people prefer to split hairs citing correlation etc as factors but the statistics show Croke Park is basically where Dublin footballers play championship football.

Dublin play the vast majority of their games in Dublin. DUBLIN!

That is not neutral.

Parnell Park is their home ground in name only.

But they never play a meaningful game there.

A home ground where they never play a game! You Dubs are comedians at best.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

surly games can now be moved from croke park when only 30000 show up

But its about more than what you listed. Donegal, Tyrone, Kerry.....do they not have the above in spades aswell?

In spades, yes, but as good ? September will tell us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Strumms wrote: »

1) hard work
    2) dedication
    3) passion
    4) will to win
    5) teamwork
    6) skill

With all due respect Strumms your training regieme wouldn't be professional. That's like a donkey sharing a stable with a racehorse. Again nothing personal.

As I said before, hurling is a more hereditary, regional game. Money doesn't necessarily make them.

Dublin play the vast majority of their games in Dublin. DUBLIN!

That is not neutral.

Parnell Park is their home ground in name only.

But they never play a meaningful game there.

A home ground where they never play a game! You Dubs are comedians at best.

I've been called a lot of things in my life, but I feel dirty being called a dub :pac:

How many times does it have to be said. Dublin will play 1 home game in the championship this year. They have chosen to play that in Croke Park as their official home ground (Parnell Park) was not suitable. This is the exact same as Waterford playing in Limerick and Thurles last year. All other games were set by either Leinster council or the GAA. As much as you like to think it the FACT is that Dublin do not have a say in those decisions.

If you want to be really pedantic about it, Dublin should be playing the odd Leinster quarter final at home as they have been forced to play away the last 3/4 years. But don’t let that get in the way of your opinion.

I think Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, etc should call their home grounds neutral venues from now on.

Dublin have got away with this charade for years so why shouldn't others?

With all due respect Strumms your training regieme wouldn't be professional. That's like a donkey sharing a stable with a racehorse. Again nothing personal.

As I said before, hurling is a more hereditary, regional game. Money doesn't necessarily make them.

It’s nothing to do with me. The example I’m giving is that for all the so called ‘wealth and advantage’ and amazing facility it’s open to pretty much everyone. There are GAA players from other counties too who live and or work in Dublin and go there...

How many times does it have to be said. Dublin will play 1 home game in the championship this year. They have chosen to play that in Croke Park as their official home ground (Parnell Park) was not suitable. This is the exact same as Waterford playing in Limerick and Thurles last year. All other games were set by either Leinster council or the GAA. As much as you like to think it the FACT is that Dublin do not have a say in those decisions.

If you want to be really pedantic about it, Dublin should be playing the odd Leinster quarter final at home as they have been forced to play away the last 3/4 years. But don’t let that get in the way of your opinion.

I'll say it 1 more time...... Dublin play the very vast majority of their championship games in Croke Park.

Is that correct or not?
    Simple yes or no.

I think Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, etc should call their home grounds neutral venues from now on.

Dublin have got away with this charade for years so why shouldn't others?

Fair enough, why dont they do it then? Im sure no Dublin player or fan would have a complaint

Mods can you please clarify this neutral venue bull****. It’s beyond ridiculous st this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Dublin will play 1 home game in the championship this year.
    Every game Dublin play in the County of Dublin counts as a home game, whether you agree or not, that's a fact. Therefore, your statement is incorrect.

• Advertisement

Mods can you please clarify this neutral venue bull****. It’s beyond ridiculous st this stage.

I'm not saying anything about home, neutral or away.

The fact is Dublin play the vast majority of their championship games in Croke Park.

Are you saying that don't?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement