Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Meath should be able to beat Mayo and Donegal in a years time or the year after, but Sunday is probaly to soon. All these games in super 8 and div 1. All these 10 games in next 10 months v top division 1 teams v top teams in the country is invaluable to these young Meath players. This experience is priceless. And if Meath stay in divsion 1 , more experience is gained.

Look at Roscommon last year hammered at super 8 stage and hammered by Tyrone last year, they only lost by 4 points on Sat to Tyrone , and Rossies beat Mayo and Galway this year. It will be the same for Meath. Next year Meath will be battle hardened by these 10 division 1 games.

Also McEntee will be in year 4 and younger players like Conlon Devine Ryan Campion and Walsh will have had great experience playing top teams , young exciting forwards coming thru eg Luke Mitchell Matthew Costello of the underage teams. And the return of maybe 8 or more ex panelist to the panel next year eg Donal lenihan, Ronan Jones, Eamon Wallace , Joey Wallace, Alan Forde , Ruari O Coilean, Niall kane , Paddy Kennelly. Maybe even Harry Rooney. While players like Lavin , Harnan , J McEntee, S McEntee, Sullivan , McGill , McMahon Wallace , Flanagan ,Kennelly , Forde are all around 24 to 25 age mark will start to peak as footballers next summer and the summer after.

Its pretty obvious Meath are on an upward trajectory and Meath are going to get stronger and stronger. And next summer and the following year in 2021 this team will start to peak. Remeber this team is 12 to 24 months before it peaks . And it does take time. Every team in the history of football take years of ups and downs before sucess. It took allot of that Dublin team 6 years before they got to an All Ireland final and years of bad defeats to kerry , Mayo Cork and bad hammerings to Meath and kerry before they achieved their aims. They were coming from an higher level. They were 5th or 6th best team in country in 2005.It took them til 2011 til they became the 1st , the best. Meath were 15th best team in country last season. They are now 8th and at lowest 9th best team in the country. Meath want to break into top 6 or 7 teams and stay there in divsion 1 and win leinster. That will take more morale victories hard luck losess. Again in 12 months time Meath will be a much better team

Of course it would be brilliant if we beat Mayo and if we did and had a chance of reaching semi final it would be outstanding achievement by players and management from.where we were last spring being near relegated to divsion 3 and losing to longford. Now we are comprehensivly beating teams like longford eg Carlow Laois and comprehensivly beating top division 2 teams eg Armagh, kildare Fermanagh and Cork. And really putting it up two best teams in country eg Donegal and Tyrone that is serious improvement in 12 months. And looking at age profile of the team the average age is 24 , and on sunday we had Conlon 21 , Campion 20 , Devine 20 and Walsh 19 all playing in the forwards. Anyone who knows anything about sport knows sportspeople with potential who are 19 or 20 years of age can only get better. This Meath team will only get better. But beating Mayo could be a step to far. Kildare and Roscommon were in. our position last year and failed to win any games. Galway were promoted in 2017 and struggled at super 8 / quater final stage. If we suceed where Galway in failed 2017 and kildare and Roscommon failed in 2018 that would be an unbelievably good sign for the future.

Meath are no longer going in the right direction. Meath are in a new category , Meath are a coming team with potential. A team for the future, a team to look out for in next 2 to 3 years. Some of gaa community outside county are starting to notice this. Tomas O Se did say Meath surprised him on Sunday , Meath were very good. Kieran Donaghy said Meath were very good also and are playing some exciting football with new exciting talent.

Beating Mayo on Sunday will be very difficult. Kerry hammering Mayo is worst that could have happened to Meath. Mayo will be up for this on sunday. But u never know. An young up and coming team beating Mayo where did we see that before. In 1996 and 2009 of course. We are a bogey team of sorts for Mayo and all these things help. We have problem beating Ulster teams in the last ten years but for 70 or 80 years Connacht teams and Mayo teams have had problems beating Meath. U just never know. They say Meath dont lose to Mayo. If we beat them on Sunday and beat their greatest team since All Ireland winning team of 1950 and 1951. Well that saying really must be true. But overall its not what happens next sunday , its what happens next spring and next summer and in 2021 that will define this team. And the direction is upward in direction and is very much a positive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

There is no way a neutral game between Dublin and Roscommon should be played at Croker.

This is the one glaring mistake in the Super 8 format.

I know Roscommon people, especially those living in Dublin, would like to see their team play in Croker, but do they really want to see them hammered out the gate if it comes to that?

Speaking on behalf of the Rossie nation:

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There is no way a neutral game between Dublin and Roscommon should be played at Croker.

I know Roscommon people, especially those living in Dublin, would like to see their team play in Croker, but do they really want to see them hammered out the gate if it comes to that?

Give it a rest. The game is in Croker. It is not designated a neutral game it is designated as a Croke Park game. That's why all 4 matches are in CROKE PARK this weekend. It's beyond tiresome to have to have this explained for the umpteenth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Give it a rest. The game is in Croker. It is not designated a neutral game it is designated as a Croke Park game. That's why all 4 matches are in CROKE PARK this weekend. It's beyond tiresome to have to have this explained for the umpteenth time.

Okay, at the risk of dragging this thread down into a Dublin's advantages conversation again, Padraig Duffy repeatedly said one home, one away and one neutral while trying to sell the Super 8's to everyone. Then snuck in the 'Croke Park' part in time for congress. So while the games are going ahead as it was worded in the proposal, it was sneaky as fcuk as to how it was pushed through. We don't know if this would have made a difference due to the lack of transparency with the delegates votes, but people have every right to point out the unfairness of Dublin having two home games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

There's two arguments here - 1) Dublin should not be playing their home games in Croke Park, and 2) No Super 8 games shouldn't be played in Croke Park, instead they should be neutral.

I'm still unsure about the latter. I'd probably prefer that they weren't played in Croker, but not overly fussed.

As for Dublin playing home games in Croke Park, well, it's obvious that this should not be the case. I still don't know how this hasn't been changed. It makes it so much worse that the current Super 8s setup DOES include Croke Park, and Dublin play their twice.

The Super 8s highlights the absurdity of Dublin getting two Croke Park games.

And no, we won't stop talking about it because it needs to be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't think Tyrone will score 3 against Cork.

Bar a penno I don't think Roscommon will score a goal against Dublin, I think Dublin might score 2 goals against them rather than one.

Not sure about Kerry Donegal, hard to call, I'd favour Donegal, just about, but it might be viewed as a meaningless game if both think they will beat Meath and Mayo regardless.

TBH, I think Meath have it in them to beat a shell shocked Mayo, particularly in midfield. But you'd never know how Mayo will respond.
    The thoughts behind those predictions.

Tyrone scored 3 goals v Cork last year and Cork haven't shored up their defence at all this year. While classed as defensive team Tyrone happen to be a good scoring team especially against porous defenses

Dublin only scored 1 goal v Meath and none v Kildare and i think Roscommon's defence isn't as open as Louth and Cork which allowed Dublin to score 10 goals. Goal Roscommon get could well be a penalty and i expect Gavin will not allow another big score to be conceded this weekend.

Kerry have that that extra bit of momentum from last weekend's impressive win while Donegal weren't all that convincing for 3 quarters of their game v Meath. It will be a very attacking game that could go either way but i think this group is all set up for the round 3 decider/last 4 spot in MacHale Park

The worry for Meath is the way they faded badly in the last quarter v Donegal and will one week be enough time to recover. Its back to knock out football for Mayo now and thats where they are at their best and only Dublin have a better record in Croke Park the last 6 or 7 years than Mayo do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The worry for Meath is the way they faded badly in the last quarter v Donegal and will one week be enough time to recover. Its back to knock out football for Mayo now and thats where they are at their best and only Dublin have a better record in Croke Park the last 6 or 7 years than Mayo do.

That's all good stuff, I've seen this Mayo team beaten before, but not like that, its July now too their territory.

When meath and mayo play, Meath will be the only ones in group without an ex mayo coach on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If GAA members want Dublin not to have two games in Croke Park in the 8s -which I agree is not fair - then they should bring a motion to Congress to that effect.

A well drafted motion - unlike the one from Donegal this year whatever they were thinking - could address that issue. Perhaps by including a clause that counties could choose a neutral venue other than CP if that was their wish. would most likely only arise for the one game involving Dublin in "Croke Park game."

Alternatively designate CP as Dublin's home ground in the championship and thereby rule out their using it for a second game?

Donegal motion went about it arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Yes the motion wording of it was poor, Dublin like the rest of last 8 teams should get just one game in Croke Park in the group stage. A simple yes or no on that vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes the motion wording of it was poor, Dublin like the rest of last 8 teams should get just one game in Croke Park in the group stage. A simple yes or no on that vote.

I don't think any Dublin fan would have an issue with such a motion. Would enjoy the trip away!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Guys ye reckon upper tier will be opened for saturday night? Not up yet on tickets .ie but surely be 45-50k at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Anonymou wrote: »
    Guys ye reckon upper tier will be opened for saturday night? Not up yet on tickets .ie but surely be 45-50k at this?

Doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Selling Hill tickets before hearing back from counties so fair bet it be another smallish crowd.

Hate those evening double headers. Dublin supporters will only head in during second half of first game, and most Tyrone and Cork people will leave before or during the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sheroman01 wrote: »
    There's two arguments here - 1) Dublin should not be playing their home games in Croke Park, and 2) No Super 8 games shouldn't be played in Croke Park, instead they should be neutral.

I'm still unsure about the latter. I'd probably prefer that they weren't played in Croker, but not overly fussed.

As for Dublin playing home games in Croke Park, well, it's obvious that this should not be the case. I still don't know how this hasn't been changed. It makes it so much worse that the current Super 8s setup DOES include Croke Park, and Dublin play their twice.

The Super 8s highlights the absurdity of Dublin getting two Croke Park games.

And no, we won't stop talking about it because it needs to be addressed.

We need a venue that can accommodate both sets of supporters. First and foremost. Unfortunately outside of Dublin that’s hard to find. Dr. Hyde Park can accommodate 25,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Strumms wrote: »
    We need a venue that can accommodate both sets of supporters. First and foremost. Unfortunately outside of Dublin that’s hard to find. Dr. Hyde Park can accommodate 25,000.

Tullamore or Portlaoise is well capable of holding a Dublin Roscommon match. The problem this weekend is that GAA HQ have fixed all matches for Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tullamore
    Roscommon would bring 6-7000
    Dublin, about the same as it's outside the Pale

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Semple Stadium in Thurles and Gaelic Grounds in Limerick hold 46K and 44K. There is motorway to Limerick in both direction for supporters. From the numbers at the Cork match either would have adequate size for the game.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Anonymou wrote: »
    It's already opened for the double header on Sunday. Last week end the kerry mayo match beat the Dublin cork match. It would be hilarious if the Sunday double header beat the Dublin one.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

RoyalCelt wrote:
    It's already opened for the double header on Sunday. Last week end the kerry mayo match beat the Dublin cork match. It would be hilarious if the Sunday double header beat the Dublin one.

Not showing available for me on Ticketmaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Not showing available for me on Ticketmaster?

Check other sites. I bought upper Cusack for Sunday on tickets.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

All the counties in Ireland were given a chance to change it but voted against it

64% of the delegates ruled out moving Dublin out of Croke Park.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0223/1032366-motion-to-move-dubs-out-of-croker-crushed/

I suggest you direct your anger at those delegates not Dublin, and start your own lobbying if you feel that strongly about it.
    Contact your own club, county board, and those 64% of delegates - I am sure they will sit up and take notice that Tobefrank123 has a major issue with it. ;)
    Change will not happen by you posting (moaning) about it on boards.ie.

Let's be honest this Dublin team would probably find a way to win on the moon - (without spacesuits)
    Venue is not even of real relevance anymore.

Although personally, I do find it unfair that Dublin football supporters are being denied a chance to play at home in Parnell Park.
    The other counties do not seem to want it though.
    Dublin are effectively homeless.
    (It took them ages to get used to playing in Croke Park after many a hammering in 'home' games since the 'Spring Series' was introduced in the league - it was a disadvantage for a long time that Dublin suffered for the sake of the Leinster Council's coffers. But that is conveniently forgotten now)

It would be a bit of craic to play in 'the neller' (Great atmosphere - tight pitch) plus only 20k would miss out on seeing the unquestionably greatest team in history (on the basis of previous attendances.)
    It seems to me other counties are being spoiled getting the chance to see Dublin, they take it for granted too much of good thing etc?

You really should be lobbying your club delegate and county board if you want change at congress.
    And also lobby those delegates that voted against the motion in congress.
    I am sure a resourceful fella like yourself would have no trouble finding out who they are and contact them.
    If you put half as much effort into that as you do with your posts about Dublin - (the greatest team of all time) I would be confident in your success. :D

When tobefrank123 speaks congress will listen.....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

RoyalCelt wrote: »

I'd say there is a good chance of it. Cork won't travel in numbers.
    It will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,019 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

All the counties in Ireland were given a chance to change it but voted against it

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0223/1032366-motion-to-move-dubs-out-of-croker-crushed/

Let's be honest this Dublin team would find a way to win on the moon without spacesuits.
    Venue is not even a relevance anymore.

Although I do find it unfair that Dublin football supporters are being denied a chance to play at home in Parnell Park.
    The other counties do not seem to want it though.
    Dublin are effectively homeless.
    (It took them ages to get used to playing in Croke Park after many a hammering in 'home' games since the 'Spring Series' was introduced in the league - it was a disadvantage for a long time that Dublin suffered for the sake of the Leinster Council's coffers.)

It would be a bit of craic to play in the neller, plus only 20k would miss out on seeing the unquestionably greatest team in history (on the basis of previous attendances.)
    It seems to me other counties are being spoiled getting the chance to see Dublin, they take it for granted too much of good thing etc?

You really should be lobbying your club delegate and county board if you want change at congress.
    If you put half as much effort into that as you do with your posts about Dublin - the greatest team of all time, I would be confident in your success. :D

Did you manage to type this and keep a straight face at the same time. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Did Dublin rent croker from 2011 onwards with the spring series?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Call me Al wrote: »
    Check other sites. I bought upper Cusack for Sunday on tickets.ie

Cheers Call me Al, bought tickets for Upper Cusack this morning, section 703 - they a hell of a lot better than the poor tickets remaining in darkest recesses of lower levels, which is all that Ticketmaster have had for sale. Don't know why Ticketmaster don't have the Upper level tickets for sale, used to be my default ticket source, but not any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

kilns wrote: »
    English soccer type attitude amongst most Dublin supporters, care to share reasons backed up with examples...

A sneering and aggressive attitude towards other teams that I havent noticed from other supporters. Maybe I'm just unlucky to end up sat in front of the odd loudmouth Dublin fan.

Also an ignorance of anything that happens outside of Dublin matches is prevelant among alot of Dublin fans.

This is probably a big city thing and im sure is the same in every country.

Edit: Apologies-not trying to derail thread, was just answering a query and was away yesterday. Happy to move on

BPKS wrote: »
    Did you manage to type this and keep a straight face at the same time. :confused::confused::confused:

Look back at the past results if you do not believe me Armagh, Tyrone, Kerry used to be rubbing thier hands with glee at the thought playing Dublin in Croke Park.

They could bring up big crowds for league games to see Dublin beaten in thier 'home' game.

Armagh 2003 -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/2718841.stm

Tyrone 2009 a game they controlled against the Dubs on the day of the 125 celebrations

Kerry 2009 in the AI Gilroy's Dubs were beaten out the gate.

We were constantly told Kerry/Tyrone/Armagh were used to playing in Croke Park it was like a home game for them.

There are many other examples.

But Dublin suffered it all for the sake of promoting the GAA, and for the good of the GAA as a whole.

But now Dublin could play thier 'home' games in New York and it would not make a difference.

The Congress delegates seem to realise this but some posters on boards.ie do not.

C__MC wrote: »
    Did Dublin rent croker from 2011 onwards with the spring series?

Yeah, you are correct

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/duffy-says-dublins-spring-series-in-croke-park-to-go-ahead-250772.html

The 125 celebrations were there also in 2009 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

patmac wrote: »
    Roscommon not out of it yet, assuming Dublin win all 3 games, Cork could beat Tyrone and Roscommon then could beat Cork, unlikely I know but if Roscommon are to stand any chance they will have to go super defensive against the Dubs.
    Mayo are fecked imho, I think Meath might beat them this weekend.

Donegal hoping for a Meath win-assuming Kerry beat Meath in the last game, even if Donegal were to lose to Kerry and Mayo, they would probably still sneak through on points difference.

Having said that, not sure I'd want to be playing Dublin having lost my last 2 games.

• Advertisement

harpsman wrote: »
    Donegal hoping for a Meath win-assuming Kerry beat Meath in the last game, even if Donegal were to lose to Kerry and Mayo, they would probably still sneak through on points difference.

Having said that, not sure I'd want to be playing Dublin having lost my last 2 games.

Ah I would love to be supporting Donegal at the moment though.

Brennan, Murphy, McBrearty.

I think that is the best three forwards combination in the country (there I said it) Murphy is like having two players works great off those two other lads.

Because of this if Dublin do not win the AI this year I hope Donegal do.
    I am nearly over 1992 anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement