Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Great stuff. Love the Saturday night games
    According to John Horan, once Dublin get their 2 home games on Saturday evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

harpsman wrote: »
    According to John Horan, once Dublin get their 2 home games on Saturday evening :D

Well if Donegal had not made a balls of thier own motion at Congress.....36% support.
    They should send you next time?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭doc_17

Well if Donegal had not made a balls of thier own motion at Congress.....

How did we mess it up? Haven’t heard that particular narrative on the motion before.

Probably been said already but I think it’ll be interesting to see the impact Connolly’s return has on the dynamic in the squad. If he isn’t going to make into squad what’s the point? If he makes the squad, or ultimately the starting 15, what message does that send to the other 20 players he’s hers picked ahead of?

They didn’t sulk and run off for 18 months when their nose was put out of joint. They stayed and probably trained like animals. I thought there wasn’t a chance in hell that Gavin would take him back.

doc_17 wrote: »
    How did we mess it up? Haven’t heard that particular narrative on the motion before.

Oh Colm 'Wooly' Parkinson discussed that on his podcast the GAA hour

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports-Talk--News/The-GAA-Hour-with-Colm-Parkinson-p914269/?topicId=129541521

(See Feb 25th 2019)

Sean Kelly @21:00 was interviewed he said it was a problem with the wording of Donegal's motion was too negative and all embracing.
    'No team could nominate Croke Park as thier home venue'

A Meath delegate said they would be precluded from using Croke Park (If Páirc Tailteann was unavailable) given the wording of the Donegal motion - so they were against it.

Kelly said that what they should/could have done as a motion -
    was:
    Let teams nominate thier home venue.
    Play first game at home, the second away, and the third game
    - coin toss between competing counties/neutral venue agreed between competing counties.

That is the one Kelly would like to see next year and thinks it would be fairest.

• Advertisement

Well if Donegal had not made a balls of thier own motion at Congress.....36% support.
    They should send you next time?

All joking aside, I would have done a better job, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

I don't have a problem with Dublin, or any other county using Croke Park for home games.

I'm surprised you haven't heard that narrative before.

It was the stupidest proposal I've heard in a long time.

And even if it was successful Dublin would still have 2 home games in the super 8s. :eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They didn’t sulk and run off for 18 months when their nose was put out of joint.

What is that supposed to be based on?

Somebody leaving a panel isn't necessarily going off on a sulk, I know that if I was in my 30's with 5 All Irelands in the back pocket I'd probably be done with it all as well. Was O'Carroll of on a sulk for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Probably been said already but I think it’ll be interesting to see the impact Connolly’s return has on the dynamic in the squad. If he isn’t going to make into squad what’s the point? If he makes the squad, or ultimately the starting 15, what message does that send to the other 20 players he’s hers picked ahead of?

They didn’t sulk and run off for 18 months when their nose was put out of joint. They stayed and probably trained like animals. I thought there wasn’t a chance in hell that Gavin would take him back.

Im no fan of Connolly's but you have to admit he's an amazing natural footballer and I'd say he would get back up to the fitness levels fairly quick he never struck me as a fella to let himself go.
    Great option to bring on in the last 15- 20 minutes to kill off a match.

As far as Gavin goes I don't really believe he gives a sh@@e what the perception is, he only wants to win and I'd say he could care less about the feelings of fellas. It is harsh when fellas are dedicated and put the work in all year only to be skipped over but it happens in every club up and down the country , the better players play.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Reminds me of Cersei and Euron in Game of Thrones: "You want a place in the squad, earn it!!" Then turns round and gives it to him without him doing anything in particular to justify it.:P

I doubt it'll have much impact on the squad dynamic. I'm sure they all know the score with Gavin already: it's all about the team, they're just cogs in the machine. I'd imagine most of them can see the case for bringing back DC even if they wouldn't choose to do it themselves if they were manager.

• Advertisement

Somebody leaving a panel isn't necessarily going off on a sulk, I know that if I was in my 30's with 5 All Irelands in the back pocket I'd probably be done with it all as well. Was O'Carroll of on a sulk for a few years?

Not only that O'Carroll was working for the Salvation Army in New Zealand.

https://nz.linkedin.com/in/rory-o-carroll-0a952530

If that is classed as 'sulking' these days the world has gone mad! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm surprised you haven't heard that narrative before.

It was the stupidest proposal I've heard in a long time.

And even if it was successful Dublin would still have 2 home games in the super 8s. :eek::mad:

It was strangely worded. Might have done with being run past a solicitor!

Seriously though, the scuttlebutt was that had motion as worded being passed and Parnell designated as Dublin home ground that whoever was to play them there - possibly Donegal, would then object on Health and Safety grounds.

Sounds bizarre, but knowing one of our own suits fairly well, these lads make the old Soviet politbureau look like naïve chaps just doing their best for everyone :)

Having had the misfortune to have sat through Dublin county board conventions, unless you really enjoy that sort of thing, a lot of what goes on is not what it seems, and there are all sorts of horse trading going on. But at end of day, people get to vote, and they voted to reject the Donegal motion.

I expect there will be another similar one next year, that might be a bit more to the point/

Oh Colm 'Wooly' Parkinson discussed that on his podcast the GAA hour

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports-Talk--News/The-GAA-Hour-with-Colm-Parkinson-p914269/?topicId=129541521

(See Feb 25th 2019)

Sean Kelly @21:00 was interviewed he said it was a problem with the wording of Donegal's motion was too negative and all embracing.
    'No team could nominate Croke Park as thier home venue'

A Meath delegate said they would be precluded from using Croke Park (If Páirc Tailteann was unavailable) given the wording of the Donegal motion - so they were against it.

was:
    - coin toss between competing counties/neutral venue agreed between competing counties.

That is the one Kelly would like to see next year and thinks it would be fairest.

So anyone could nominate Croke Park? In reality that only suits one team. But I think the Croke Park Super 8 issue will be redundant very soon. It’s clear from last weekend, and will be again after another eery atmosphere on Sunday, that the Super 8s will be taken out of Croke Park. Except for Dublin’s home game.

Ah the old whataboutery! I never mentioned O’Carroll. It’s clearly different. The fact that you feel you have to add him in makes my point. It’s known far and wide that Connolly took issue with what happened in 2017.

Not only that O'Carroll was working for the Salvation Army in New Zealand.

https://nz.linkedin.com/in/rory-o-carroll-0a952530

If that is classed as 'sulking' these days the world has gone mad! :eek:

Good for him. Entirely superfluous to the discussion though. And it was bad for his career. Is he back starting again?

So anyone could nominate Croke Park? In reality that only suits one team. But I think the Croke Park Super 8 issue will be redundant very soon. It’s clear from last weekend, and will be again after another eery atmosphere on Sunday, that the Super 8s will be taken out of Croke Park. Except for Dublin’s home game.

Obvious solution as hinted at by Kelly is for Dublin to nominate CP as home ground for championship, but not to have a second game there in the 8s.

Changing the CP game to neutral would as you say certainly make sense given the crowds, but with counties other than Dublin still having option to play there.

Most counties would probably still prefer it, just as they do having Croke Park for the finals of the lower tier hurling, which is grand for the McDonagh when played before Leinster final, but depressingly cavernous for the other three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ah the old whataboutery! I never mentioned O’Carroll. It’s clearly different. The fact that you feel you have to add him in makes my point. It’s known far and wide that Connolly took issue with what happened in 2017.

Is it? Who told you?

Ah, the old "deflect and don't actually answer the question."

If you want to label the likes of Connolly as "sulking" based on vague crap like that then more power to you, but all it does is show your bias.

dublin lads in the Croke Park hotel before the league game in 2018.

But if you want to try and convince people that all was well between Connolly and Gavin in 2017-2018 then good luck with that.

Ah, the old "deflect and don't actually answer the question."

If you want to label the likes of Connolly as "sulking" based on vague crap like that then more power to you, but all it does is show your bias.

Vague? He either left the panel or was not asked onto it in 2018 bar a cameo in the league. Hasn’t played this year so far and wasn’t intending to either until his visa issue. Yeah, ‘‘twas all fine and dandy. But I’d expect little else from some of the Dublin people who post here - their grasp on reality is tenuous at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

'No team could nominate Croke Park as their home venue'

was:

That's odd. What he said at the time of the vote was:

'Motion not to allow Counties (read @Dubs_gaa mainly), nominate @CrokePark as their home venue in #SuperEights defeated - 64% to 36% . I voted against saying @Kerry_Official want to end #DriveForFive in @CrokePark !!'

So just making it up as he goes along, really.

Vague? He either left the panel or was not asked onto it in 2018 bar a cameo in the league. Hasn’t played this year so far and wasn’t intending to either until his visa issue. Yeah, ‘‘twas all fine and dandy.

Like I already said, why does leaving the panel equate to "sulking" for Connolly, when the fact is that lads in their 30's leave panels all over the country for all sorts of reasons?

Is Jamie Clarke sulking when he goes off living his life? Is Ger Brennan sulking? Was O'Carroll sulking? I haven't played intercounty this year either and don't intend to, am I sulking? And no, that isn't whataboutery, its showing the discrepancy in how you judge one player from another.

Is it really sulking for a man to think, "Nah, don't need this right now, I'll do other things instead?" Really? Or is it only sulking when Connolly does it?

Not to mention the little fact that if Gavin thought Connolly was "sulking" and refusing to play that the chances of him getting recalled would be pretty such zero. But there he is, back in training, clearly Jim Gavin had no problem with Connolly "sulking".

But I’d expect little else from some of the Dublin people who post here - their grade on reality is tenuous at best.
    Well I am not from Dublin and am not a Dublin person, so thats yet another gold star you failed to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

dublin lads in the Croke Park hotel before the league game in 2018.

But if you want to try and convince people that all was well between Connolly and Gavin in 2017-2018 then good luck with that.

Ah those lads. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

A query, if 3 teams finish level on points then scoring difference is used. Now i assume its the total difference over the 3 group games? Or just maybe, like in soccer its just the difference in the matches played between those 3 teams teams? Anyone know for definite

Connolly just happens to be a sort of totem for dislike of Dublin.

Same as Donaghy was, Ricey, Cillian O'Connor, Tommy Walsh, John Leahy. Roy Keane, tom Brady A Rod in other sports. Every team has one! They become like a fly catcher for a natural dislike of the "enemy." Old as humans.

Curiously, Philly used to be the hate figure, but his PR - not for one moment questioning his genuiness! - is far better than DC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Connolly just happens to be a sort of totem for dislike of Dublin.

Same as Donaghy was, Ricey, Cillian O'Connor, Tommy Walsh, John Leahy. Roy Keane, tom Brady A Rod in other sports. Every team has one! They become like a fly catcher for a natural dislike of the "enemy." Old as humans.

Curiously, Philly used to be the hate figure, but his PR - not for one moment questioning his genuiness! - is far better than DC's.

I really dont think that's true about DC tbh. I'm delighted to see him back and I'm sure most fans are. If he lines out this season at some stage itll be a great day for football. The man plays the game like nobody else can and hes pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

A query, if 3 teams finish level on points then scoring difference is used. Now i assume its the total difference over the 3 group games? Or just maybe, like in soccer its just the difference in the matches played between those 3 teams teams? Anyone know for definite

Decided by the following means in the order specified:

i) where two teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the group

ii) score difference - subtracting the total scores against from the total scores for

iii) highest total score for

iv) highest total goals for

v) a play off

Like I already said, why does leaving the panel equate to "sulking" for Connolly, when the fact is that lads in their 30's leave panels all over the country for all sorts of reasons?

Is Jamie Clarke sulking when he goes off living his life? Is Ger Brennan sulking? Was O'Carroll sulking? I haven't played intercounty this year either and don't intend to, am I sulking? And no, that isn't whataboutery, its showing the discrepancy in how you judge one player from another.

Is it really sulking for a man to think, "Nah, don't need this right now, I'll do other things instead?" Really? Or is it only sulking when Connolly does it?

Not to mention the little fact that if Gavin thought Connolly was "sulking" and refusing to play that the chances of him getting recalled would be pretty such zero. But there he is, back in training, clearly Jim Gavin had no problem with Connolly "sulking".

Well I am not from Dublin and am not a Dublin person, so thats yet another gold star you failed to achieve.

Well that I’m assuming you’re not sulking, I’m assuming you’re not at the level.

Connolly had his ban, didn’t get back on the starting 15, refused to go the medal presentation, failed to make himself available for 2018 and wasn’t going back n 2019 . But now it suits both sides.

To think that Dublin and Jim Gavin and Connolly were all happy campers in the winter of 2017/18 to ludicrous, stupid, naive, dumb, partisan, blinkered, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Anyway back to the football😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BPKS wrote: »
    Decided by the following means in the order specified:

i) where two teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the group

ii) score difference - subtracting the total scores against from the total scores for

iii) highest total score for

iv) highest total goals for

v) a play off

Ya but thats if 2 team finish level, im asking about 3 teams being level. Im guessing it will be the total points difference but not 100% on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement