Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The super 8s is such a load of ****e. Scrap it entirely. Just fleecing supporters, clearly people aren't buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Great performance from Cork, didn’t think they’d be within an asses roar of a hem. Great for football they look like they’ve turned the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭threeball

Sad state of affairs when you have a 3/4 empty stadium and there's still more watching it live than were on tv. The GAA are doing a great job of promoting the game.

Hard on Cork but they went way over what anyone expected of them could be one to watch in national league next year.
    Nobody will be watching them in Division 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The super 8s is such a load of ****e. Scrap it entirely. Just fleecing supporters, clearly people aren't buying it.

I really miss the 4 quarters being on August bank holiday weekend - two double headers in Croker. I just cannot warm to this new format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

What was moral about Cork? They couldn't defend a healthy lead and never looked like they would in the second half. No fan of Tyrone but they deserved that.

I don't know many posters on here and the media seem to think if roscommon cork and meath are competing and keeping it healthy to a reasonable scoreline its good for football. Ya know yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A horrific four minute spell cost Cork that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

jr86 wrote: »
    I really miss the 4 quarters being on August bank holiday weekend - two double headers in Croker. I just cannot warm to this new format

Me two and stand alone semis at the end of August with the show piece in late September.

Hard on Cork but they went way over what anyone expected of them could be one to watch in national league next year.

Well they still only beat Laois and Limerick at the end of the day. In all fairness everyone would have expected that.

Ok they didn't get hammered by Kerry and Tyrone but it's a laughable format where you can beat those sides and make super 8s!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

eagle eye wrote: »
    A horrific four minute spell cost Cork that game.

They did the same vs Dublin

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Me two and stand alone semis at the end of August with the show piece in late September.

And hurling down to two teams, next week. In July. Just wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

In the end Corks poor defence let them down. 2-10 conceded 2nd half and could have been 4-15 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,240 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Gooch and someone else were on some podcast yesterday giving out about the finals not being in September.

The build up in the schools was great in September they said

They are dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

C__MC wrote: »

It's almost like it was perfect...

Gooch and someone else were on some podcast yesterday giving out about the finals not being in September.

The build up in the schools was great in September they said

They are dead right.

Gooch and Donal Óg Cusack said it.

They are dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The season was changed to condense it so that the players and clubs would benefit - with all due respect, the wishes of school kids are secondary to both of these

Gooch and Donal Cusack said it.

They are dead right.

What was it, Donal Og

And as others have said having the SFs on the same weekend do take away from them, each does not get the attention they used to.

The current system has another year to run, I'm sure there will be many changes when the three years are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The season was changed to condense it so that the players and clubs would benefit - with all due respect, the wishes of school kids are secondary to both of these
    Maybe to you but many people have great memories of those days and of bonding with schoolmates as they dreamed of an All-Ireland.
    It was great for kids and the GAA because these kids also dreamed together about growing up and playing county football.

Yet club finals of counties that did not even make to he last 8 were still being played on the October bank holiday.

And is it benefitting to the extent as they thought?

• Advertisement

Yet club finals of counties that did not even make to he last 8 were still being played on the October bank holiday.

Well thats poor planning by individual county boards but these changes were made to free up space for club players.
    Intercounty players form a tiny % of overall player numbers

And is it benefitting to the extent as they thought?

Any change takes time and also needs to form part of a larger body of changes so I think we need to let it develop.

Having a quarter final on the August weekend and then not actually finishing the championship until 6/7 weeks later is just ludicrous.

It needed to be condensed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is that not verging on a 'square ball' or has that rule been abolished?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Boring

eagle eye wrote: »
    Maybe to you but many people have great memories of those days and of bonding with schoolmates as they dreamed of an All-Ireland.
    It was great for kids and the GAA because these kids also dreamed together about growing up and playing county football.

It was great when I was in school - trust me, I loved it as I'm from Kerry so we were there as often as anyone but I can see why the changes were made and am willing to see how they develop in tandem with further changes.

It was fine 20 or so years ago when intercounty managers didnt have such power but the fact that they now can dictate player availability to the clubs means that you nearly need to run parallel seasons

doylefe wrote: »
    Boring
    Not worth watching even on TV. Bored seeing Dublin destroy the smaller counties.

Any change takes time and also needs to form part of a larger body of changes so I think we need to let it develop.

Having a quarter final on the August weekend and then not actually finishing the championship until 6/7 weeks later is just ludicrous.

I think the whole calendar needs looking at, and the moving of the club finals to December might help.

The club month of April did not work either, team who were starting their provincial championship in May were slow to allow county players play in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

These Super 8s are not up to scratch at all really. Crap crowds don't help.

Some changes needed to be made alright. I mean why did Connacht take a decade to complete?

But CBs and Provinces never took responsibility for their own haphazard approach to running their championships. And no doubt will continue to be haphazard.

• Advertisement

I think the whole calendar needs looking at, and the moving of the club finals to December might help.

The club month of April did not work either, team who were starting their provincial championship in May were slow to allow county players play in April.

I agree with you on both points and I think the April thing will be scraped but it may mean the championship will be condensed further with August BH weekend having the final

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement