Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Before anything, you can't have a vibrant competition without it actually being competitive. So that's the main thing that needs to be tackled. All we have to do is look back to the 90's and early 00's to see that this is not fairytale stuff, we had an open, vibrant championship. Actually, going back to the days when it was Kerry v Dublin every year, we had a complete change. Yes, these two still won some but 8 other counties won All Ireland's between 87 and 2003. Only 2 other counties won All Ireland's from 86 back to 1968. Also, as has been pointed out already, 21 different counties won provincial championships since 1992.
    How we got here can be debated but the most important thing now is how we make a recovery. To do this it's clear. Every county needs to receive appropriate funding and proper administration in place to ensure the funding is used correctly and put to best use to increase the standard of football and hurling nationwide. Gaelic football is struggling really badly right now. It's at a vital stage. Some other suggestions are very short sighted and will not improve the strength of Gaelic football. My plan works. The evidence backs this up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Jesus Christ man.

Are you so downtrodden that you need to bring this conversation down to such a misogynistic level?

Pathetic input.
    Virtue signalling cringey nonsense. Womens soccer is below Sunday League. 52 games is laughable stuff and nobody, apart from oddballs like yourself will tune in to pat themselves on the back and say how wonderful they are.

Attendances and tv ratings tell the story. It's garbage and everyone knows it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

True that, they've already messed up putting camoige and womens football now on before the games instead of u20s. Only good thing is there is more time in the pub.

RTE are showing more of womens world cup soccer this year than gaelic football. All to satisfy a handful of feminists journalists that don't even care. Thats the way it's gone in this country. RTE are a disgrace.

It's the way the country is gone. It's a mess.

I happened upon Radio 1 this morning and they were discussing the womens world cup. Yer man was saying it's going to be amazing. Host asked about how some people say the quality isn't as good as the mens game and he just went on about how it's better than 10 years ago and not to compare it against the mens game. Just say it as it is ffs.

Then I stayed on and the news came on. They were on about how they were looking for women digger drivers and how they were having a digger simulator. Women would drive diggers if they wanted to.

The agenda is off the charts. Women on most panels now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I popped in with the intention of catching up on the 2019 GAA championship, is it that boring that the conversation has turned to angry rants about womens soccer and digger drivers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

It's the way the country is gone. It's a mess.

I happened upon Radio 1 this morning and they were discussing the womens world cup. Yer man was saying it's going to be amazing. Host asked about how some people say the quality isn't as good as the mens game and he just went on about how it's better than 10 years ago and not to compare it against the mens game. Just say it as it is ffs.

Then I stayed on and the news came on. They were on about how they were looking for women digger drivers and how they were having a digger simulator. Women would drive diggers if they wanted to.

The agenda is off the charts. Women on most panels now too.
    Just seen Stephanie Roche on TV there. Another one that scored one goal at pub level and lived off it the rest of her life. She was even on a panel deciding the future of the FAI the other day! Incredible. A pair of breasts is all you need in this country these days and you'll be up the chain pretty fast. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mod Note

Not a lot of conversation about the 2019 championship within more recent posts.

Can we please revert back to discussion of the topic at hand.

The 2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Thanks

Mod Warning

Please revert solely to discussion of the 2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

No more discussion of other matters will be permitted most especially the misogynistic material.

Lots of the material been discussed is more suited to the Changes in the GAA- super thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890333

Sanctions will be issued for any posts off topic.

I'm gonna take a crack at getting this back to a football discussion by giving qualifier predictions. Shame none of these are on TV, but won't open that can of worms again :-)

Offaly v London - Reckon Offaly can get a few wins in the qualifiers this year starting with this game
    Leitrim v Wicklow - Leitrim had a great league, Wicklow had an encouraging performance against Kildare. Will go with home advantage again
    Wexford v Derry - Has to be Derry
    Louth v Antrim - Both took absolute hammerings in the first round, Louth to win this one though
    Monaghan v Fermanagh - If this was in Brewster Park, I'd tip Fermanagh. I don't necessarily think Monaghan are gone for the year, but they could have done with an easier opening game in the qualifiers. Monaghan to squeeze through by 11 points to 8 or something like that
    Down v Tipperary - How did Tipp manage to lose to that Limerick side? Can't see anything but a Down win here
    Westmeath v Waterford - Westmeath to go through, but not much further
    Carlow v Longford - This is another interesting one. Not sure how Longford will cope with being out 3 weeks in a row, and Carlow have had the wind taken out of their sails in recent months. Will go with Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

Stephen Cluxton will become the first player to play 100 Championship games on Sunday.

Player County Year Games Starts Subs Goals Points Total Clean Sheets Conceded

Cluxton, Stephen Dublin 2001 2 2 0 0 0 0 1 -1
    2002 6 6 0 0 0 0 3 -4
    2003 4 4 0 0 0 0 3 -1
    2004 5 5 0 0 0 0 4 -1
    2005 6 6 0 0 0 0 2 -6
    2006 5 5 0 0 0 0 4 -1
    2007 6 6 0 0 0 0 4 -2
    2008 4 4 0 0 0 0 2 -4
    2009 4 4 0 0 0 0 3 -1
    2010 7 7 0 0 5 5 4 -7
    2011 6 6 0 0 12 12 3 -3
    2012 5 5 0 0 9 9 3 -2
    2013 6 6 0 0 16 16 3 -5
    2014 5 5 0 0 5 5 2 -5
    2015 7 7 0 0 1 1 4 -4
    2016 7 7 0 0 0 0 3 -6
    2017 6 6 0 0 0 0 4 -2
    2018 7 7 0 0 0 0 3 -6
    2019 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
    99 99 0 0 48 48 56 -61

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Good idea.

Anyone heading to any?

Offaly v London - Handy enough I'd say. Offaly aren't as bad as people think. Offaly by 5.

Leitrim v Wicklow - Probably closer than most imagine it'll be. Leitrim needed a last minute goal to win in the league and have lost players. Wicklow are terrible though at the same time. Leitrim by 3.

Wexford v Derry - I'd be half tempted to go for a shock here due to the jaunt Derry will have but Wexford are as bad as they've ever been. Derry by 4.

Louth v Antrim - I'll take Antrim to build on the few bright spots they showed against Tyrone to come through this. Antrim by 2.

Monaghan v Fermanagh - Monaghan to have an awful time breaking them down but without ever being under any threat. 9-6 or something. Monaghan by 3.

Down v Tipperary - See this one being a decent scoring game and Tipp being a lot better than the Limerick game. Down by 1.

Westmeath v Waterford - Weatmeath shouldn't have to strangle the game as much as they needed to against Laois and have a few decent forwards when they want to use them. Westmeath by 6.

Carlow v Longford - Carlow might have been able to choke them enough to eek out a close one at other times but they're in disarray with big disclipline issues. Longford to have enough in the tank if they can motivate. Longford by 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Just seen Stephanie Roche on TV there. Another one that scored one goal at pub level and lived off it the rest of her life. She was even on a panel deciding the future of the FAI the other day! Incredible. A pair of breasts is all you need in this country these days and you'll be up the chain pretty fast. Pathetic.

Has she sobered up from last years world cup? I remember her doing a game, her voice was gone and she was white as a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Hope London turn over Offaly
    Then cough mayo get London could do with a weekend on the piss in England

naughto wrote: »
    Hope London turn over Offaly
    Then cough mayo get London could do with a weekend on the piss in England

Tullamore is almost as good for a weekend though if Offaly make it through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The GAA have changed too many competitions already imho.

U21 became U20. Why? Make it harder for young lads to break onto county senior teams. The U21 championship was a fantastic competition and allowed a lot of smaller counties to compete e.g. Westmeath football in 1999,

Minor U18 became U17. Why? A few people were worried about exams and that a few 18 year olds in county minor panels were holding up adult club championships in a few select counties

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Should the Leinster semi finals be taken out of Croke Park? I guarantee there will be a crap atmosphere and small enough crowd there for the first match on Sunday. I think they could have had Laois/Meath in Tullamore and Dublin/Kildare in Portlaoise. One on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

recyclebin wrote: »
    Should the Leinster semi finals be taken out of Croke Park? I guarantee there will be a crap atmosphere and small enough crowd there for the first match on Sunday. I think they could have had Laois/Meath in Tullamore and Dublin/Kildare in Portlaoise. One on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

Yes they should but money talks

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If that's the case then this might be the last year they are played in Croke Park. It sounds like they will be doing well to break even on Sunday. The Leinster council will probably make more money from the Kilkenny-Galway game even though less people will go to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

recyclebin wrote: »

The matches should be home/away like in Connacht and Munster. That will give a much better atmosphere than a neutral venue. I assume when Kildare and Meath get their grounds developed they won't stand for the current arrangement any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

If you look at the GAA financial statements you’ll see that Croke Park is a goldmine on big match days, semis won’t be moving out of there. GAA will be praying the attendance issue is a temporary blip but it may be hard to arrest the slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The GAA have changed too many competitions already imho.

U21 became U20. Why? Make it harder for young lads to break onto county senior teams. The U21 championship was a fantastic competition and allowed a lot of smaller counties to compete e.g. Westmeath football in 1999,

Minor U18 became U17. Why? A few people were worried about exams and that a few 18 year olds in county minor panels were holding up adult club championships in a few select counties

I thought the idea was an attempt to stop burn out?
    The good young fella on every team etc - club-county-minor-u21-college etc?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I thought the idea was an attempt to stop burn out?
    The good young fella on every team etc - club-county-minor-u21-college etc?
    College football was more responsible for burn out that U21 county football ever was. Changing U18 to U17 to avoid a clash with exams i can somewhat understand but there is still a few 17 year olds that sit their leaving certs and 16 year olds have junior cert on these current minor county panels.

U21 was a great development grade for senior teams, i look at Cavan,Roscommon for example both playing Div 1 football this spring and able to beat Div opposition in the championship this summer and that was thanks mostly to their competitiveness at U21 level for a number of years.

After years of a public campaign by Paraic Duffy to get rid of the U21 grade we are left with the U20 championship which is a poor mans U21 competition, its poorly scheduled and any competition is diluted when some of its best players don't play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

College football was more responsible for burn out that U21 county football ever was. Changing U18 to U17 to avoid a clash with exams i can somewhat understand but there is still a few 17 year olds that sit their leaving certs and 16 year olds have junior cert on these current minor county panels.

U21 was a great development grade for senior teams, i look at Cavan,Roscommon for example both playing Div 1 football this spring and able to beat Div opposition in the championship this summer and that was thanks mostly to their competitiveness at U21 level for a number of years.

After years of a public campaign by Paraic Duffy to get rid of the U21 grade we are left with the U20 championship which is a poor mans U21 competition, its poorly scheduled and any competition is diluted when some of its best players don't play in it.

The Leaving Cert problem hasn't been fixed in the new format, just moved to U20. One of the Mayo players broke his collar bone in the Connacht final last June and had to sit a leaving cert Accounting exam the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert problem hasn't been fixed in the new format, just moved to U20. One of the Mayo players broke his collar bone in the Connacht final last June and had to sit a leaving cert Accounting exam the next day.

Yes i remember that, this year they have pushed back the Connacht U20 final to July 10th but there is still a Connacht quarter final played in June and if the winner of that won the semi final they will have to play 3 games in 3 weeks which is another example of poor scheduling.

Offaly and leitrim are through to round 2 of the qualifiers

Wicklow and Londons year is up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Doctor Zhivago

Very open game this. Cracking to watch.

Michael Murphy is the definition of class.

Harte is prone to lazy tackles like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Very open game this. Cracking to watch.

Michael Murphy is the definition of class.

Youd wonder what Colm O Rourke is smoking for him to have his views on Murphy. Brolly very frustrating that he wouldn't let him speak even if he doesn't agree with his opinion.

Brolly spoke about corofin for at least 5 minutes
    How RTE put up with that, I'll never know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

C__MC wrote:

Credit to Gough. It's early and he could of taken the easy way out with a yellow but he's called it very well so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

C__MC wrote: »
    Ridiculous to get yourself sent off like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement