Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There was a lad there shouting the whole match alright- he had serious anger management issues!

I can remember a foul by Gavin white after 4 or so mins and the Donegal lad shouts (with no hint of irony) “he’s at it all day ref”.

Guy was a grade A walloper

Kerry lad behind us in the Hogan from the same walloper family. When Gavin White was black-carded for dragging down Ryan McHugh he kept up a chant of "go home ref" only stopping when Donegal`s O`Donnell was black carded.
    A few Donegal supporters near extracted the urine out of him at that stage by repeating his "go home ref" mantra.

He stayed quiet after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

dobman88 wrote: »
    Sure we wont know who's playing who and confirmed dates for 2 weeks at the earliest, after the last round of matches.

Well no but we know winner Group 1 V Runner up Group 2 and vica versa so if Mayo do qualify it will be as runner up in Group 1 so im wondering are these fixtures set?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well no but we know winner Group 1 V Runner up Group 2 and vica versa so if Mayo do qualify it will be as runner up in Group 1 so im wondering are these fixtures set?

Had a quick look and cant see it anywhere. Just that it will be played on a certain weekend. Tbf, the GAA are well known for not releasing dates until a week before. Not ideal for someone in your situation or for fans in general to make plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

They waiting to see which semi the Dubs get into and put that on a Saturday?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I recall my brother having an argument with a Tyrone female fan at Casement Park 2009, she was mouthing off as those fans do and my brother told her to eff off so she made comments about my brothers gold chain that he was wearing trying to make out that he was a thug even though she was the one shouting around the place, thankfully they never won it that year or ever since actually. Tyrone won that day so I don't know what the use was shouting at their neighbours, though I suppose those fans have to get their kicks some way given that their clubs are so weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Had a quick look and cant see it anywhere. Just that it will be played on a certain weekend. Tbf, the GAA are well known for not releasing dates until a week before. Not ideal for someone in your situation or for fans in general to make plans.

Ya, had a look myself before posting, its a pain tbh. I've a poker tournament scheduled for the Saturday, think that might be one of your interests? :) Apologies if im completely wrong :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It’s funny- I didn’t really like Parkinson as a pitch side reporter and saw him as a bit of a mouthpiece but ever since he got his own podcast going it has become very apparent that he’s a top level pundit. Funnily enough I know a few of the current Kerry & Dublin players are fans of his podcast.

As I said- it’s that midlands accent that I’m not a fan of but I guess people in glass houses, etc

Made a great decision to leave NT where he was arguably becoming the 'clown' of the group there. His podcast has been excellent. Might need a little freshening up of the format. I enjoy his analysis of the matches. Probably because I usually agree with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I like how ward breaks down the decisions that players have to make and the thought process that goes into said decisions.

I think he’s very good- I think Parkinson is really, really good at analysing a game aswell. It’s just that bloody Laois accent

100% agree I think Ward critiques subject matter very well.

The GAA hour is a damn good podcast,Wooly is great on the analysis.All the more enjoyable because he is so opinionated.

Dara O Cinneide would wipe the floor on Des Cahill.He was great on Seo Spoirt,GAA nua agus GAA eile.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

I recall my brother having an argument with a Tyrone female fan at Casement Park 2009, she was mouthing off as those fans do and my brother told her to eff off so she made comments about my brothers gold chain that he was wearing trying to make out that he was a thug even though she was the one shouting around the place, thankfully they never won it that year or ever since actually. Tyrone won that day so I don't know what the use was shouting at their neighbours, though I suppose those fans have to get their kicks some way given that their clubs are so weak.

There’s plenty of thundering idiots from all counties so no need to tar everyone from Tyrone with the one brush.

At the match on Saturday I was along with some Tyrone friends 2 of whom were female and when wearing their jerseys and casual clothes probably would’ve passed for girls in their late teens which makes roaring anything at them just sad, then came the litany of abuse and foul language from the 3 Dublin and 1 Cork fan in a group directly in the row behind us. Proceeded to roar pretty much directly into our ears about the cheating ***** from the north and that Harte only breeds tramps of the highest order to play for his team and their last hurrah was when tyrone arrived (after a long wait) for the second half when they launched into a verbal assault of cheating f’in ***** and to **** off back to their own country. Funny they all lost their tongues once Tyrone started playing 😊

Not near the worst I’ve experienced though, Monaghan fan at the semi-final last year, was at the game with one of same Tyrone friends, he proceeds to start shouting brits out, and go on home and take your sterling with you, all during the anthem…..

Then Ronan McNamee (I think) makes a dubious challenge that sets him off with chants of “black for a black” and “get out of our country you british ********”. At this point my friend turned and asked him to please stop , he proceeds to call her a “black church of Ireland *****” we call up the steward, unfortunately for him he was from Armagh and when he tried to deal with the Monaghan man he proceeded to give the steward the exact same abuse once he heard his accent. We tolerate it for another few moments at which point I tell him to “shut the eff up and watch the match” he then tells me that he has kids with him and theres no need for that kind of language….

Needless to say we grabbed the steward at half time and he kindly moved us to some empty seats in another section. Albeit it should've been the jackass that had to move we were just glad to get away from him.

In hindsight had to laugh at his sectarian bs given he probably lived no more than 30 mins from the border. Not tarring anyone from any county with the one brush as any self-respecting fan knows that apes like this don’t represent their people, just imbeciles from all 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

charlie14 wrote: »
    Kerry lad behind us in the Hogan from the same walloper family. When Gavin White was black-carded for dragging down Ryan McHugh he kept up a chant of "go home ref" only stopping when Donegal`s O`Donnell was black carded.
    A few Donegal supporters near extracted the urine out of him at that stage by repeating his "go home ref" mantra.

He stayed quiet after that.

I did realise that when I told my factual story that all I would get would be a dose of whataboutery so congrats on that.

No one said it was exclusive to Donegal fans by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There’s plenty of thundering idiots from all counties so no need to tar everyone from Tyrone with the one brush.

At the match on Saturday I was along with some Tyrone friends 2 of whom were female and when wearing their jerseys and casual clothes probably would’ve passed for girls in their late teens which makes roaring anything at them just sad, then came the litany of abuse and foul language from the 3 Dublin and 1 Cork fan in a group directly in the row behind us. Proceeded to roar pretty much directly into our ears about the cheating ***** from the north and that Harte only breeds tramps of the highest order to play for his team and their last hurrah was when tyrone arrived (after a long wait) for the second half when they launched into a verbal assault of cheating f’in ***** and to **** off back to their own country. Funny they all lost their tongues once Tyrone started playing 😊

Not near the worst I’ve experienced though, Monaghan fan at the semi-final last year, was at the game with one of same Tyrone friends, he proceeds to start shouting brits out, and go on home and take your sterling with you, all during the anthem…..

Then Ronan McNamee (I think) makes a dubious challenge that sets him off with chants of “black for a black” and “get out of our country you british ********”. At this point my friend turned and asked him to please stop , he proceeds to call her a “black church of Ireland *****” we call up the steward, unfortunately for him he was from Armagh and when he tried to deal with the Monaghan man he proceeded to give the steward the exact same abuse once he heard his accent. We tolerate it for another few moments at which point I tell him to “shut the eff up and watch the match” he then tells me that he has kids with him and theres no need for that kind of language….

Needless to say we grabbed the steward at half time and he kindly moved us to some empty seats in another section. Albeit it should've been the jackass that had to move we were just glad to get away from him.

In hindsight had to laugh at his sectarian bs given he probably lived no more than 30 mins from the border. Not tarring anyone from any county with the one brush as any self-respecting fan knows that apes like this don’t represent their people, just imbeciles from all 32.

#neverhappened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ok we can all agree that there are a minority of supporters who let all down their county with their behaviour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A Monaghan chap shouting Brits Out at his next door neighbours sounds a bit odd …….

Slattsy wrote: »
    #neverhappened

Its completely true unfortunately and a sad reflection on the people involved, particularly the second gentleman.

As i said, its a minority of people from every county, do I think everyone from Dublin, Cork or Monaghan are like the people I've mentioned? Hell no, the same as I know theres definetly at least one or two idiots from leitrim who would let the county down in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Bonniedog wrote: »
    A Monaghan chap shouting Brits Out at his next door neighbours sounds a bit odd …….

I've been to my fair share of matches over the years, mostly involving at least one Ulster team, and I don't really see any reason to disbelieve that. Usually its teams from outside Ulster that engage in the Brits nonsense with northern teams, but remember, there's a lot of bad blood between Tyrone and Monaghan in recent years, and a lot of idiots out there. While most of the banter between supporters is good natured, some people want to try and wind up the opposition with the most insulting stuff that they can think of.

It is, which probably added to our own disbelief that a person from a border county was coming out with the drivel and abuse he had, wouldn't expect to hear it from anyone at a GAA match but to hear it from someone so close to the border was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭doc_17

It’s funny- I didn’t really like Parkinson as a pitch side reporter and saw him as a bit of a mouthpiece but ever since he got his own podcast going it has become very apparent that he’s a top level pundit. Funnily enough I know a few of the current Kerry & Dublin players are fans of his podcast.

As I said- it’s that midlands accent that I’m not a fan of but I guess people in glass houses, etc

Made a great decision to leave NT where he was arguably becoming the 'clown' of the group there. His podcast has been excellent. Might need a little freshening up of the format. I enjoy his analysis of the matches. Probably because I usually agree with him!

I think he both asks and answers the questions and I generally don’t think that’s a great idea...especially answering before your guests have had the input. They very frequently agree with him which is also not a great recipe. But it works ok and at least he lets you know what he really thinks.

Ya, had a look myself before posting, its a pain tbh. I've a poker tournament scheduled for the Saturday, think that might be one of your interests? :) Apologies if im completely wrong :o

Tis indeed. I've my poker booked for the weekend of the 17th in the green isle hotel in Dublin. Could always change your own plans and play that instead if it would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Wouldn't be huge Wooly fan, but the other two on OTB used to take the p1ss out of him in a nasty way at times.

Fair play to him for leaving them to it and doing his own thing/

Wouldn't be huge Wooly fan, but the other two on OTB used to take the p1ss out of him in a nasty way at times.

Fair play to him for leaving them to it and doing his own thing/

Same. He has grown on me after hearing snippets of his show on Twitter. Keep meaning to give the podcast a spin some time. Just haven't got around to it yet.

• Advertisement

I did realise that when I told my factual story that all I would get would be a dose of whataboutery so congrats on that.

No one said it was exclusive to Donegal fans by the way

Nothing to do with whataboutery or indeed whereaboutery.

The factual gentleman (to use the term loosely) in question was in section 332 lower Hogan and I thought it a comical non-confrontational way to shut up an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Same. He has grown on me after hearing snippets of his show on Twitter. Keep meaning to give the podcast a spin some time. Just haven't got around to it yet.

They had a ton of talk and analysis in the latest one

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports-Talk--News/The-GAA-Hour-with-Colm-Parkinson-p914269/?topicId=132446055

As for Wooly himself he has improved beyond recognition from what he started out as on radio. He used to be just the fella they used to take the mick out of as you said.
    Plus I remember his first day as sideline reporter live - he was on with another fella and both of them kept taking over the main commentator.
    The commentator had to say - 'lads! stop talking over me!'

Now his analysis is great, he never seems to miss much, approaches it with a former county players eyes, but talks simple so the ordinary eejit can grasp it.
    The two lads on with him are good as well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is, which probably added to our own disbelief that a person from a border county was coming out with the drivel and abuse he had, wouldn't expect to hear it from anyone at a GAA match but to hear it from someone so close to the border was unbelievable.

Why wouldn't you expect to hear it at a GAA match?

Its just a reflection of what happens on the pitch if you ask me. There are players that will say far worse to their opponent during the game on top of spending 70 minutes punching and dragging all in the name of getting that "edge", don't be too surprised if some supporters adopt that same mentality.

Why wouldn't you expect to hear it at a GAA match?

Its just a reflection of what happens on the pitch if you ask me. There are players that will say far worse to their opponent during the game on top of spending 70 minutes punching and dragging all in the name of getting that "edge", don't be too surprised if some supporters adopt that same mentality.

I know and sledging is a sad indictment of anyone who carries it out, you can't get the better of your man physically or skillfully so just resort to verbal jibes in the hope of an upper hand.

On the field is one thing but to be shouting it at opposition supporters in the stands is just beyond sad and doesn't help their team in the slightest, only sheds light on was ignorant assholes the perpetrators are.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I think he both asks and answers the questions and I generally don’t think that’s a great idea...especially answering before your guests have had the input. They very frequently agree with him which is also not a great recipe. But it works ok and at least he lets you know what he really thinks.

Problem I had with him before I stopped listening is that he could throw out supposedly humorous comments regarding some county teams, when he had nobody on that he knew were going to pull him up on, that just came across as snide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

They had a ton of talk and analysis in the latest one

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports-Talk--News/The-GAA-Hour-with-Colm-Parkinson-p914269/?topicId=132446055

As for Wooly himself he has improved beyond recognition from what he started out as on radio. He used to be just the fella they used to take the mick out of as you said.
    Plus I remember his first day as sideline reporter live - he was on with another fella and both of them kept taking over the main commentator.
    The commentator had to say - 'lads! stop talking over me!'

Now his analysis is great, he never seems to miss much, approaches it with a former county players eyes, but talks simple so the ordinary eejit can grasp it.
    The two lads on with him are good as well.

The Derry lad is hopeless. I suspect he might be good behind the scenes as a researcher. But don't think he offers much on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Derry lad is hopeless. I suspect he might be good behind the scenes as a researcher. But don't think he offers much on the show.

Yeah I suppose, the fact I do not know his name says a lot. I think he plays the old Wooly Newstalk role, the lightening rod for slagging.
    They created a sting where he predicted that Tyrone would beat the Dubs stuff like that.
    There is a Meath fella on as well is it Cian Ward?
    He knows his stuff.

Plus they get Cheddar Plunkett and Chunky Hayes on for the Hurling.
    I always find those two informative or entertaining.
    Sometimes even both informative and entertaining!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes I used to actually really dislike Parkinson, as a footballer, then a Commentator. But since his own podcast started Ive listened in nearly every week and I enjoy it alot now. Also think Ward is great on it, knows his stuff and I actually think he pulls Parkinson up on things if he doesnt agree, unlike the Derry lad. Who is the Derry lad?! he is a former player?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

snowgal wrote: »
    yes I used to actually really dislike Parkinson, as a footballer, then a Commentator. But since his own podcast started Ive listened in nearly every week and I enjoy it alot now. Also think Ward is great on it, knows his stuff and I actually think he pulls Parkinson up on things if he doesnt agree, unlike the Derry lad. Who is the Derry lad?! he is a former player?

Conan Doherty. Journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Its completely true unfortunately and a sad reflection on the people involved, particularly the second gentleman.

As i said, its a minority of people from every county, do I think everyone from Dublin, Cork or Monaghan are like the people I've mentioned? Hell no, the same as I know theres definetly at least one or two idiots from leitrim who would let the county down in a similar fashion.

Ay yeah, but there would be no one else there to hear it.................sorry couldn't resist!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement