Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Ay yeah, but there would be no one else there to hear it.................sorry couldn't resist!

I was tempted to make a two people is a size able percentage of the population jibe but I’m too good to make a cheap joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Plus they get Cheddar Plunkett and Chunky Hayes on for the Hurling.
    I always find those two informative or entertaining.
    Sometimes even both informative and entertaining!

Damien I assume? Very different person to Chunky :pac:

Has great passion for the game though Damien, I enjoy him

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Ay yeah, but there would be no one else there to hear it.................sorry couldn't resist!

Ah there was enough to hear it in Croker in March when there was only around 10k less than at the Dublin v Cork game, albeit the Div 2 final was the same day but not bad when you consider Leitrim, Derry & Donegal all in league and journey to travel.

Well not bad when 30-35k is what the super 8s is getting in croker that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,120 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ah there was enough to hear it in Croker in March when there was only around 10k less than at the Dublin v Cork game, albeit the Div 2 final was the same day but not bad when you consider Leitrim, Derry & Donegal all in league and journey to travel.

Well not bad when 30-35k is what the super 8s is getting in croker that is.

A few years back wasn`t there some noise from Croke Park that it wasn`t economical to open the stadium for less than, I think the figure was 40k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

charlie14 wrote: »
    A few years back wasn`t there some noise from Croke Park that it wasn`t economical to open the stadium for less than, I think the figure was 40k ?

They don't operate o a P/L basis for each specific game. It's taken as a whole over the course of a season on the basis that some games will always be more profitable than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

charlie14 wrote: »

30 i think and the Gaa claim they make a loss on match day if attendance isnt over 30 thousand. Yet Dublin are allowed play home game in the league in croker and rarely meet the 30 thousand. I wonder who forks out the money on the loss it takes to open the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

30 i think and the Gaa claim they make a loss on match day if attendance isnt over 30 thousand. Yet Dublin are allowed play home game in the league in croker and rarely meet the 30 thousand. I wonder who forks out the money on the loss it takes to open the pitch?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/10-myths-mishaps-and-misconceptions-450392.html

Croke Park crowd
    Many had been led to believe that the GAA required a crowd of 30,000 in Croke Park to financially break even on the day but this school of thought was rubbished by the association’s stadium and commercial director Peter McKenna in Michael Moynihan’s GAAconomics.

“That’s an urban myth. It costs between €40,000 and €120,000 to open the stadium and we often open it at a loss. The break-even figure? For the smallest crowd, it would be €30,000 so 10,000 people paying €3 each, or €5,000 paying €6 each would do it.”

So the 20,000 that turned up to see Dublin play Tyrone in the League in March would have comfortably covered the cost at €10 each. It would have been one of the lower amounts to open it, as many of the stiles and bar/food areas are not open for League games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

blanch152 wrote:
    Croke Park crowd Many had been led to believe that the GAA required a crowd of 30,000 in Croke Park to financially break even on the day but this school of thought was rubbished by the association’s stadium and commercial director Peter McKenna in Michael Moynihan’s GAAconomics.

“That’s an urban myth. It costs between €40,000 and €120,000 to open the stadium and we often open it at a loss. The break-even figure? For the smallest crowd, it would be €30,000 so 10,000 people paying €3 each, or €5,000 paying €6 each would do it.â€

So the 20,000 that turned up to see Dublin play Tyrone in the League in March would have comfortably covered the cost at €10 each. It would have been one of the lower amounts to open it, as many of the stiles and bar/food areas are not open for League games.

Should sticky this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin supporters only pretend to pay in.

The money is refunded into their bank accounts, and they all get a free holiday in Ibiza every year.

Not many people know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    Not many people know this.

Dublin fans don't travel Bonniedog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Stoner wrote: »

Are you not booked in on one of the three weekend options for Ibiza, they coincide with the Super 8s weekends? You must have missed that email from Parnell Park. Chance for the Dubs to watch their team while sitting in the sun drinking Pina Coladas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stoner wrote: »

Pointless even having an airport in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Pointless even having an airport in Dublin...

How would they get to Anfield and Old Trafford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The final games of Group 2 are at 6pm on Saturday August 3rd.

Bad enough for Donegal supporters travelling to Castlebar from Gweedore or Inishowen but thats a real kick in the teeth to Kerry supporters who won't get out of Navan until at least 8pm if they're lucky.

Nothing beats being there, clearly TV does for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Bad enough for Donegal supporters travelling to Castlebar from Gweedore or Inishowen but thats a real kick in the teeth to Kerry supporters who won't get out of Navan until at least 8pm if they're lucky.

No matter what the GAA does, people will complain. If its on a Sunday, they'll complain that it should be on a Saturday so people can have a few pints and stay the night. If its 2pm on a Sunday, 'look at what time people on the Blaskets/ Aranmore will have to get up at in order to make the game.' Earlier on a Saturday? 'What about the people who have to work?'

Do you propose we take the home games away from Mayo and Meath so as not to inconvenience the supporters? Loads of people enjoy Saturday evening games, and to your point, of course there's a benefit to broadcasters too. I have no issue with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

No matter what the GAA does, people will complain. If its on a Sunday, they'll complain that it should be on a Saturday so people can have a few pints and stay the night. If its 2pm on a Sunday, 'look at what time people on the Blaskets/ Aranmore will have to get up at in order to make the game.' Earlier on a Saturday? 'What about the people who have to work?'

Do you propose we take the home games away from Mayo and Meath so as not to inconvenience the supporters? Loads of people enjoy Saturday evening games, and to your point, of course there's a benefit to broadcasters too. I have no issue with this

If the GAA are serious about promoting attendance then they should hold the games in the middle of the day, between 1pm and 6pm, as they've traditionally been held. It's the fairest way of doing it.

If the GAA are serious about promoting attendance then they should hold the games in the middle of the day, between 1pm and 6pm, as they've traditionally been held. It's the fairest way of doing it.

Not sure what your point is since these games are at 6pm. Traditionally games were 3:30 on a Sunday which suited everyone when we were farmers or working nine to five Mon-Fri. Very few shops opened on a Sunday. Go to mass, have the roast dinner, head to a game in time to watch the minor match. Those days are gone, and the flexible scheduling is a good thing since it gives more people the opportunity to see certain games, and yes, more options to watch it on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Prefer 6pm Saturday to 3pm Sunday personally. I'd be home in Kerry from Navan by 1am latest for a 6pm throw in, wouldnt have to leave mad early in the morning, can have a lie in and the fry before leaving about 12 midday and have Sunday off to "recover" lol. 3pm Sunday means leaving between 8 and 9am, not getting home until 10 or 11pm and back into work on the Monday.

6pm Saturday would suit the majority imo and is a nice time for a game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

I doubt Kerry will travel in huge numbers
    Their support has always been sceptical and this is a dead rubber
    Kerry's junior team would win this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

1pm on a Saturday, would you cop yourself on. When were big games ever held at that time on a Saturday? Society and work patterns have changed radically, the days of every game on at 3.30 on a Sunday are well past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

C__MC wrote: »
    I doubt Kerry will travel in huge numbers
    Their support has always been sceptical and this is a dead rubber
    Kerry's junior team would win this

It's about a 5+ hour journey from most places in Kerry. Capacity is 15-17k. Real challenge to anyone working Saturday. Fairy harsh statement TBF Kerry team has had great support over last two weekends

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

dobman88 wrote: »
    Prefer 6pm Saturday to 3pm Sunday personally. I'd be home in Kerry from Navan by 1am latest for a 6pm throw in, wouldnt have to leave mad early in the morning, can have a lie in and the fry before leaving about 12 midday and have Sunday off to "recover" lol. 3pm Sunday means leaving between 8 and 9am, not getting home until 10 or 11pm and back into work on the Monday.

6pm Saturday would suit the majority imo and is a nice time for a game

Whatever about supporters, for the players (especially teams that has to travel, so we can discount one county in this observation;)) a Saturday evening game is much more desirable.

I know of a player who left home at 10 am Saturday and got back home at 11pm Sunday night after playing a tough game a few hours before. An hour of TV, bed and left for work at 8.15 Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

BPKS wrote: »
    Whatever about supporters, for the players (especially teams that has to travel, so we can discount one county in this observation;)) a Saturday evening game is much more desirable.

I know of a player who left home at 10 am Saturday and got back home at 11pm Sunday night after playing a tough game a few hours before. An hour of TV, bed and left for work at 8.15 Monday morning.

Yeah I'd say if you talked to the players the vast vast majority would prefer Saturday games.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Semi-Final fixtures confirmed:

Saturday August 10

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship Semi-Final

Group 2 Winner v Group 1 Runner-up, Croke Park, 5pm

Electric Ireland GAA Football All Ireland Minor Championship Semi-Final

Quarter-Final winner v Quarter-Final winner, Croke Park, 3pm

Sunday August 11

Group 1 Winner v Group 2 Runner-up, Croke Park, 3.30pm

Electric Ireland GAA Football All Ireland Minor Championship Semi-Final

Quarter-Final winner v Quarter-Final winner, Croke Park, 1.30pm

If next weekends results go to plan, then Dublin will play their semi final on a Saturday night as it always has been since the foundation of the GAA ©*

* © copyright John Horan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Oh dear!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Semi-Final fixtures confirmed:

Saturday August 10

Group 2 Winner v Group 1 Runner-up, Croke Park, 5pm

While I'm content that should we beat Mayo we will likely have this Saturday evening slot, I have to roll my eyes at how perfectly this suits the dubs (Tyrone could beat them next Sunday, says you!).

As John Horan says,

"There will always be an appetite to have a game on a Saturday night and a Dublin game is generally on a Saturday night"

Saturday semi final last year (at home), two Saturday evening Super 8's games this year.(AT HOME).. it's not Dublin's fault nor problem, but the GAA aren't exactly trying very hard to dispel the common held belief that the deck is stacked in Dublin's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

And another oh dear!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Dublin don't decide their group or the draw for the Semi's - they also go out to win every game, but if they are beaten by Tyrone then some people still won't be happy.

The way I see the semi final draw is that surely it would be more beneficial to have two teams in the Saturday evening game that aren't Dublin. That way there will be more who will travel up for the day and possibly stay over - see it as a weekend trip to Dublin rather than trying to squeeze the return trip in on a Sunday.

I think both games will sell out no matter what, but I don't see why it's any benefit to Dublin when they play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

moghrasa wrote: »
    While I'm content that should we beat Mayo we will likely have this Saturday evening slot, I have to roll my eyes at how perfectly this suits the dubs (Tyrone could beat them next Sunday, says you!).

As John Horan says,

"There will always be an appetite to have a game on a Saturday night and a Dublin game is generally on a Saturday night"

Saturday semi final last year (at home), two Saturday evening Super 8's games this year.(AT HOME).. it's not Dublin's fault nor problem, but the GAA aren't exactly trying very hard to dispel the common held belief that the deck is stacked in Dublin's favour.

You could also argue the draw is detrimental to Dublin if they win the group and play on Saturday as the teams playing on Sunday have one extra day to recover......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement