Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Tomw86 wrote: »
    I think both games will sell out no matter what, but I don't see why it's any benefit to Dublin when they play.
    Neither do I. I don't think anyone thinks it makes a difference really. The dubs would beat you as handy at Midnight on a Tuesday as they would at 3.30pm on a Sunday.

I think the only person who really takes stock of it is John Horan, but maybe that was just him winding up a few Corkonians (usually handy enough done)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I couldn't give a fiddlers when the Dublin game is scheduled for and I don't think its an advantage or not to play on Saturday versus a Sunday

I do however believe that the president of the GAA deserves to be ridiculed for the absolute nonsense he came out with a few weeks ago. As the saying goes, best to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Tomw86 wrote: »
    You could also argue the draw is detrimental to Dublin if they win the group and play on Saturday as the teams playing on Sunday have one extra day to recover......

A fair point. I don't care when we would potentially play the dubs, because they'd be as likely to beat us at any time or any date. To be clear I've no issue with the Dubs here - sure they don't schedule the matches - I'm only noting that this will very likely feed into peoples notions of GAA bias. I'd much rather play on a Saturday evening as it makes getting to the game handier. Twas merely an observation but I can see how people might think I was being bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Posters backtrack on original petty post on an Internet forum, WOW��������
    Some posters should take their own advice��������������������

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

ArielAtom wrote: »

Please explain

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I see it more as clarifying, a few seemed to take it as a jab at the Dub's when it was meant to be a jab at John Horan and his merry men, but sure you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not bothered about it personally but is the thinking not and always has been that late throw ins means people traveling home very late at night? I understand that whoever Dublin presumably, play on Saturday evening still have to do that but was that not always the thing about Sunday 3.30 throw ins, on the way home by 6 most home by 10 latest?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

salmocab wrote: »
    Not bothered about it personally but is the thinking not and always has been that late throw ins means people traveling home very late at night? I understand that whoever Dublin presumably, play on Saturday evening still have to do that but was that not always the thing about Sunday 3.30 throw ins, on the way home by 6 most home by 10 latest?

D'ye really think the GAA or SKY or whoever cares about the fan travelling home from a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fann Linn wrote: »
    D'ye really think the GAA or SKY or whoever cares about the fan travelling home from a match?

Not really much anymore probably but still the Sunday afternoon tradition is strong and leaving the city at 9 ish facing into a 4 hour drive must be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭doc_17

salmocab wrote: »

Donegal v Galway 2017 in Markievicz Park told you all you need to know about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

Horan is a true blue, he managed their minor team in 02
    He will be on the hill come September for the final

Did anyone on here ever win tickets for the games from Sky? Have entered lots of time but 'nada'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭doc_17

Did anyone on here ever win tickets for the games from Sky? Have entered lots of time but 'nada'.

And considering how few viewers they have that’s very unfortunate you didn’t win!

doc_17 wrote: »
    And considering how few viewers they have that’s very unfortunate you didn’t win!

Not really arsed to be honest just that I've never heard of anyone win. Considering lads are tripping over themselves on the Circle K draws on here I just wondered did anyone win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

no Ive entered loads of times but have never won them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Rory Gallagher has stepped down as Fermanagh boss.

Mahony0509 wrote: »

I'd say that's him finished now in terms of inter county management. He tried it with the two teams he knew best and was just a little too predictable. I like the man so hopefully he takes a while now either as a pundit or in the back room of another county as he's clearly a clued in fella with a knowledge of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

moghrasa wrote: »
    I'd say that's him finished now in terms of inter county management. He tried it with the two teams he knew best and was just a little too predictable. I like the man so hopefully he takes a while now either as a pundit or in the back room of another county as he's clearly a clued in fella with a knowledge of the game.

He was a joke of a manager and sent his teams out to play some of the worst rubbish i have ever seen. Some very talented forwards in Fermanagh left on the sidelines so he could send his team out to keep the scoreline respectable. A spoofer who i hope is finished in management for the players out around the country sakes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Mahony0509 wrote: »

He wasn`t taking them anywhere with the style of football he had them playing. No more than he was with Donegal from 2015. A bit of a one trick pony where management was concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Fermanagh were actually quite exciting under McGrath. Limited resources in terms of players and skill sets but he was getting places with them.

Gallagher turned them into almost a parody of "blanket defence," which bore no resemblance on earth to what Donegal were actually like, even apart from fact that Donegal had better players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah good riddance to Gallagher

A blight on the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

charlie14 wrote: »
    He wasn`t taking them anywhere with the style of football he had them playing. No more than he was with Donegal from 2015. A bit of a one trick pony where management was concerned.

While the football under him wasn't pretty he took Fermanagh to 3rd in the Div 2 table and they were a Div 3 team when he took over and last year Fermanagh reached their first Ulster final for 10 years.

While the football under him wasn't pretty he took Fermanagh to 3rd in the Div 2 table and they were a Div 3 team when he took over and last year Fermanagh reached their first Ulster final for 10 years.

He never struck me as someone whose first thought was how to win a game. Forwards appeared to be selected and coached on defending as their primary role. Surprising as he was quite a decent forward himself, and as Bonner has shown since taking over from him in Donegal, there were decent forwards there.

The type of game he had Fermanagh playing suit league. Basically cram the defense on heavy pitches and let the other team wear themselves out and lose the will to live.

Ulster 2018 Fermanagh beat a terrible Armagh team, beat Monaghan in one of the worst games in the Ulster Championship for many years with an injury time goal and lost to Donegal in the final by double scores.

St Michaels Enniskillen won the Hogan cup this year with a team all from Fermanagh playing a nice brand of football with some good forwards. Fermanagh going forward imo are lucky Gallagher is gone before got his hands on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Gallagher is a .No self respecting county should be anywhere near him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Good old Dublin joe unleashed by the Dubs for the weekend trip to Omagh. Should guarantee that Dublin don’t loose and secure the easier semi final.
    Can then wrap him up for the final.

Don't forget the dreaded 6 day turnaround. Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I didnt like Gallagher's football and thats one thing but his carry on when on the sideline with Donegal was ludicrous!
    Talk about sending out the wrong message to his players - he was on permanent looking for a row mode, it was like something you would have seen from GAA managers in the early 90s

I didnt like Gallagher's football and thats one thing but his carry on when on the sideline with Donegal was ludicrous!
    Talk about sending out the wrong message to his players - he was on permanent looking for a row mode, it was like something you would have seen from GAA managers in the early 90s

I`m a Donegal supporter and there were times when I hoped a row would start with Gallagher`s little helper Maxi Curran on the pitch, so that he might get a well earned slap.

Preferably from one of our own.
    Hopefully it`still not too late and one of our ladies will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

Gallagher is an all Ireland winning coach
    Fermanagh were two points away from being promoted to division 1 and give donegal a tough game in Ulster
    His football might not be appealing but he does get results

Utterly embarrassing aided and abetted by Maxi curran whose carry on was equally shameful. A blight on our history books and 2 years of talent, with some of our greatest ever footballers, absolutely squandered. He'll never be forgiven for that.

To think that just 2 short years ago we were beat out the gate in Sligo against Galway and we seemed to be a beaten docket. His general negativity and pathetic football had resulted in a lack of confidene and belief and spread, like a well known disease, to all corners of the county. Deeply unpopular, the best thing he did was step down nice and early so that we could enjoy the remainder of that summer and hope for brighter things to come.

A progressive, positive manager later and we've gone back to back in Ulster and have a great chance of making an all Ireland semi final. Incredible really.

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Gallagher is an all Ireland winning coach
    Fermanagh were two points away from being promoted to division 1 and give donegal a tough game in Ulster
    His football might not be appealing but he does get results

:D

Assistant to the Regional Manager.

And he doesn't get results, he'll win a couple of games in the league when he's ahead of the rest in terms of fitness schedules. Come the summer he's a busted flush and a waste of time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement