Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Utterly embarrassing aided and abetted by Maxi curran whose carry on was equally shameful. A blight on our history books and 2 years of talent, with some of our greatest ever footballers, absolutely squandered. He'll never be forgiven for that.

To think that just 2 short years ago we were beat out the gate in Sligo against Galway and we seemed to be a beaten docket. His general negativity and pathetic football had resulted in a lack of confidene and belief and spread, like a well known disease, to all corners of the county. Deeply unpopular, the best thing he did was step down nice and early so that we could enjoy the remainder of that summer and hope for brighter things to come.

A progressive, positive manager later and we've gone back to back in Ulster and have a great chance of making an all Ireland semi final. Incredible really.
    Walking out of Markievicz Park after getting a drumming from Galway, I'd never seen our fans as furious in my life. I've always found our fans to have an 'ah sure look we never used to win things before Jimmy anyway so what does it matter' kind of attitude, but the average fan wanted blood on that evening (and rightly so). I've never seen such a rage amongst our supporters.

It was truly embarrassing. Gallagher was out of his depth and he knew it, but you still had the ones on twitter and facebook with this holier-than-thou 'I know him well he's a lovely man, shame on yous all for chasing him out' kind outlook. To this day I still can't believe it. Why would you accept the team being shackled and allowed to underperform like that for the sake of being nice to poor wee Rory Gallagher?! Even St Jim of the McGuinness cannot stand him.

I have no complaint about him as far as he's a man (trademark Joe Brolly 2013), but to call him a useless Bainisteor would be the understatement of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

charlie14 wrote: »
    He never struck me as someone whose first thought was how to win a game. Forwards appeared to be selected and coached on defending as their primary role. Surprising as he was quite a decent forward himself, and as Bonner has shown since taking over from him in Donegal, there were decent forwards there.

The type of game he had Fermanagh playing suit league. Basically cram the defense on heavy pitches and let the other team wear themselves out and lose the will to live.

Ulster 2018 Fermanagh beat a terrible Armagh team, beat Monaghan in one of the worst games in the Ulster Championship for many years with an injury time goal and lost to Donegal in the final by double scores.

St Michaels Enniskillen won the Hogan cup this year with a team all from Fermanagh playing a nice brand of football with some good forwards. Fermanagh going forward imo are lucky Gallagher is gone before got his hands on them

Armagh weren't that terrible last summer, after all they were only 1 win away from reaching the last 8. For some perspective on those 2018 Ulster championship wins, in 2017 Fermanagh under Pete McGrath they lost to Monaghan 1-20 to 1-11 and v Armagh in the qualifiers they lost 0-20 to 0-11

Jury remains out on where Fermanagh will go in the years ahead, educated guess would say back to Div 3 and they won't reach another Ulster final anytime soon.

Plenty of Donegal folk (yourself included) have clearly drawn their conclusion on Gallagher the manager which is fair enough but for me as outsider looking in the biggest error i thought he made with Donegal at the time was bringing in too many of the young players too soon but now in hindsight maybe he had little other choice as Donegal were in transition and most of those young players given their county debuts under Gallagher are better for that experience and are now excelling at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Plenty of Donegal folk (yourself included) have clearly drawn their conclusion on Gallagher the manager which is fair enough but for me as outsider looking the biggest error i thought he made with Donegal at the time was bringing in too many of the young players too soon but now in hindsight maybe he had little other choice as Donegal were in transition and most of those young players given their county debuts under Gallagher are better for that experience and are now excelling at senior level.

Watch the ulster finals of 2015 and 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

To anyone who would defend him, petition your own delegate to nominate him as manager of your County. There are enough looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Plenty of Donegal folk (yourself included) have clearly drawn their conclusion on Gallagher the manager which is fair enough but for me as outsider looking in the biggest error i thought he made with Donegal at the time was bringing in too many of the young players too soon but now in hindsight maybe he had little other choice as Donegal were in transition and most of those young players given their county debuts under Gallagher are better for that experience and are now excelling at senior level.

This is a bit of a myth, and also a problem of his own making. He'd start playing young players in the earlier stages of the league such as Hugh McFadden, and then not even bring them on as a late sub come championship time. Alienated some of the senior players such as Leo McLoone so that they left the panel. Then in 2017, threw in way too many in at once. He managed the squad extremely poorly in his time with Donegal, which is overlooked as the football was so dreadful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

C__MC wrote: »
    Gallagher is an all Ireland winning coach
    Fermanagh were two points away from being promoted to division 1 and give donegal a tough game in Ulster
    His football might not be appealing but he does get results

He was an assistant to an all Ireland winning coach, Jim McGuinness in 2012. When McGuinness went to Glasgow in 2013 he left the preparation of the team to Gallagher.

The results were embarrassing. McGuinness gave him the road and took Donegal to an all Ireland final in 2014. Beating Dublin on the way.

From seeing what they did in 2013 the county board either had a brain fart in appointing Gallagher, or felt they knew better than McGuinness.
    History has been a lot kinder to McGuinness`s rating of Gallagher than the county board`s.

The County PRO (who, shock horror, lives in Killybegs, as does he who shall not be named) coming out on radio giving out about 'Keyboard warriors' :D

There is a well known parody site in Donegal in the same vein as waterford whispers which had a tag line "sure he can't even manage the supervalu in Killybegs, never mind the Donegal team, pure shíte". I thought it was gas, but it went over the county boards head anyway who lost the plot completely.

Anyway, he's done now never to return. It'd be a cold day in hell when i'd ever want him over any Donegal team again. I honest to god wouldn't even have him for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Don't know Gallagher and have never met him. So I can't say anything negative about him personally. Nor do I wish to. However, I stopped going to Donegal matches because of the vomit-inducing style of football the team were forced to play under his reign. Seeing Michael Murphy and 13 others sprinting back towards their own goal line as soon as the ball was thrown in. Unbelievable rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Watch the ulster finals of 2015 and 2016.
    I watched them live. A Donegal side in transition that only lost both finals by 1 score against top eight sides in Monaghan and Tyrone.

I watched them live. A Donegal side in transition that only lost both finals by 1 score against top eight sides in Monaghan and Tyrone.

Haha

Any jobs in the pipeline, Rory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Rory Gallagher is a one trick pony. He is totally inflexible in his approach, lacks innovation and is a poor man manager. He built his reputation piggy backing on a genuine innovator but when left to his own devices the emperor had no clothes. His teams are anti football and approach the game in the most negative of manners. I wouldn't even wish him on Tyrone.
    As an aside, some of the infantile comments passed on the sideline by his management team have been laughable.

Rory Gallagher is a one trick pony. He is totally inflexible in his approach, lacks innovation and is a poor man manager. He built his reputation piggy backing on a genuine innovator but when left to his own devices the emperor had no clothes. His teams are anti football and approach the game in the most negative of manners. I wouldn't even wish him on Tyrone.
    As an aside, some of the infantile comments passed on the sideline by his management team have been laughable.

Agree with everything aside from the bolded part

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Malachy O'Rourke, Damian McErlain, and now Rory Gallagher all in one year.

I gather its a total clearout at Fermanagh with Ryan McMenamin and the whole backroom team gone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Apparently Jim Gavin is stepping down in September and Rory Gallagher has been offered the Dublin job.

Any jobs in the pipeline, Rory?

Haha

Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

tanko wrote: »
    Apparently Jim Gavin is stepping down in September and Rory Gallagher has been offered the Dublin job.

Give it to him now, no point in waiting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stick to playing the guitar Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

That should even the playing field. Going from the best manager ever in the Gaa to one of the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

That should even the playing field. Going from the best manager ever in the Gaa to one of the worst.
    It's the only thing that would come close to levelling it, it's not even a financial issue anymore.

Help us, Rory-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Give it to him now, no point in waiting around.
    Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Stick to playing the guitar Rory!

No one is missing a trick on this thread! :D

Poor auld Rory!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭C__MC

My suspicion for the weekend is that Tyrone will go for this game

Theyd much prefer donegal or mayo in a semi rather then Kerry, but I still think Dublin will win

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

C__MC wrote: »
    My suspicion for the weekend is that Tyrone will go for this game

Theyd much prefer donegal or mayo in a semi rather then Kerry, but I still think Dublin will win

Conor McManus was saying in this mornings independent that Tyrone would be as well off to not bother going full tilt on Sunday and keep to heir powder dry for when (or if) they meet the dubs in the final.

It's not a game that Tyrone have to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

RMAOK wrote: »
    Conor McManus was saying in this mornings independent that Tyrone would be as well off to not bother going full tilt on Sunday and keep to heir powder dry for when (or if) they meet the dubs in the final.

It's not a game that Tyrone have to win.

Galway were of the same opinion last year, winning, losing, not trying and giving up are all habits. However in a way I agree the only time to beat Dublin is in a semi it a final

Slava Ukrainii

I genuinely think Dublin will want to lay down a marker in this game, so I don't think there is scope for Tyrone to take it easy in anticipation of the semi final. Even with changes, it wont exactly be a weak team Dublin put out, if anything it'll be an incentive for fringe players to try and win a starting spot next day out. A really heavy defeat in Omagh could potentially damage Tyrone, so I think they'll give it a decent go. This could be a very good game. even though the outcome doesn't really matter. Dublin don't care who they play at this stage, and rightly so. And Tyrone would view themselves as equal to any of the teams coming out of the other group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I genuinely think Dublin will want to lay down a marker in this game, so I don't think there is scope for Tyrone to take it easy in anticipation of the semi final. Even with changes, it wont exactly be a weak team Dublin put out, if anything it'll be an incentive for fringe players to try and win a starting spot next day out. A really heavy defeat in Omagh could potentially damage Tyrone, so I think they'll give it a decent go. This could be a very good game. even though the outcome doesn't really matter. Dublin don't care who they play at this stage, and rightly so. And Tyrone would view themselves as equal to any of the teams coming out of the other group

It matters a lot to Mayo/Donegal/Kerry. I don't get some peoples notion that better to meet Dublin in a semi. I look at it as get to the final by whatever means possible, and it's a straight shoot out in one match then for Sam i.e. anything can happen in a final. If Mayo got through, I would be over the moon if Tyrone got the better of Dublin, and Mayo would be playing Tyrone in the semi-final rather than Dublin. Would still be tough, but there is still the psychological issue where we know Tyrone are beatable, whereas the odds of getting past Dublin are much slimmer. All-Ireland day is a very special day – even though we (Mayo) have had our fair share of disappointments in finals, I would much rather get to that final to give us a fighting chance.

From a Donegal perspective, I don't particularly care as long as we get through to a semi final. Likely have to meet Dublin at some stage if you have ambitions to win it, and they're so well drilled these days that its simply going to take a phenomenal performance to beat them rather than catching them on the hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭threeball

Tyrone should go for it. They'll learn more going for it and losing rather than sitting back and holding on. That's info they could use if they navigate through the semi. Better going in to the semi with a performance in their arse pockets.

BBC reporting Throne will be resting players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    BBC reporting Throne will be resting players.

Game of Throne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Neither Dublin or Tyrone will be going full at it this Sunday and both will be resting a number of first choice players with the focus on the AI semi final the following week.(a pity as that could have been a very interesting game in Omagh)

The winner of Donegal v Mayo is at a big disadvantage of playing a well rested side in the semi final one week later.

For the final year of this 3 year trial period its a must that the two round 1 winners play in round 2 which should leave no dead rubbers for round 3. All teams should be given two weeks to prepare for All Ireland semi Finals also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement