Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

C__MC wrote: »
    My suspicion for the weekend is that Tyrone will go for this game

Theyd much prefer donegal or mayo in a semi rather then Kerry, but I still think Dublin will win

Well I think we can discount that after seeing the programme. Eesh.

Stoner wrote: »
    I think if people are complaining about paying for games then we are stuffed IMO.

IMO we want more games, just spaced out better with something to win and something to lose, have the home, away and neutral venue sorted out too.

You are not forced to go to the games anyway, its not a tax, you can support your county without going to every game.

As I've stated repeatedly, paying for 3 games ( 2*QF and a SF) in one paycheck is just not feasible for everybody. Not to mention the fact day in my case, I have to do it for 2 STs.

In hindsight I wish I opted out of the Omagh trip. But it's awful that for the first time in 10years of an ST I even considered it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

jr86 wrote: »
    Great to see Dublin and Tyrone treat the super 8s with the respect it deserves

The sooner this farce of an idea ends the better

They are dead right. 6 day turn around ffs.
    I think the super 8s could have worked fine if the gaa used their heads.
    For starters, 2 weeks to the semi final and another 2 to the final. Pretty self explanatory.
    Secondly, have the cop on to not have the 2 favourites in each group playing each other in the last game. Instead have the 2nd and 3rd favourites playing each other on the last day. It will generally let you avoid the situation in group 2 this year and more often than not repeat the situation in group 1...
    The problem isnt the super 8s, its the attitude surrounding them. It is clear it is all about money and it is to the detriment to the intercounty game. I just wonder what it will take for this attitude to finally change?

The super 8s have been a monumental failure. Football interest has declined due to them. Killing the old format has been a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The super 8s have been a monumental failure. Football interest has declined due to them. Killing the old format has been a disaster

The concept is good but I think its too congested in term of scheduling. You have some teams playing 5 or 6 weeks in the row and teams are knackered, there should be a break from the end of the provincials/qualifiers and allow a proper build up to make it a separate competition in its own right. Provincial champs should have 2 home games to reward them for winning their provincials

The concept is good but I think its too congested in term of scheduling. You have some teams playing 5 or 6 weeks in the row and teams are knackered, there should be a break from the end of the provincials/qualifiers and allow a proper build up to make it a separate competition in its own right. Provincial champs should have 2 home games to reward them for winning their provincials

I feel atmosphere is dead compared to when you look at how it was before the 8s. Double headers were a huge draw and would sell Croker out. I understand due to the dominance of Dublin in recent years it's hard to see an attraction when they are blowing sides away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I feel atmosphere is dead compared to when you look at how it was before the 8s. Double headers were a huge draw and would sell Croker out. I understand due to the dominance of Dublin in recent years it's hard to see an attraction when they are blowing sides away.

The dubs domination is certainly a problem, in round robin games you will never have that pure knock out intensity , having too many games close together will bring supporter fatigue aswell. Have the games more spread out maybe over a month. Have group A games week 1, Group B games week 2 etc. It brings more media attention on the given games. Having the best 8 teams in the country playing off should be exciting, not a dreary format. Perhaps they could even just have the quarter finals as knock out games and make it a super 4 hen ypou would have more close games and the Dubs wouldnt be steamrolling everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The dubs domination is certainly a problem, in round robin games you will never have that pure knock out intensity , having too many games close together will bring supporter fatigue aswell. Have the games more spread out maybe over a month. Have group A games week 1, Group B games week 2 etc. It brings more media attention on the given games. Having the best 8 teams in the country playing off should be exciting, not a dreary format. Perhaps they could
    even just have the quarter finals as knock out games and make it a super 4 hen ypou would have more close games and the Dubs wouldnt be steamrolling everyone

Eh, Tyrone and Kerry are through also. Far too easy to blame Dublin's dominace I suppose for this farce.

The dubs domination is certainly a problem, in round robin games you will never have that pure knock out intensity , having too many games close together will bring supporter fatigue aswell. Have the games more spread out maybe over a month. Have group A games week 1, Group B games week 2 etc. It brings more media attention on the given games. Having the best 8 teams in the country playing off should be exciting, not a dreary format. Perhaps they could even just have the quarter finals as knock out games and make it a super 4 hen ypou would have more close games and the Dubs wouldnt be steamrolling everyone

But if we just keep looking for ways to change the format up we are slowly killing the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus Donegal keeper doing everything to help mayo early on here!

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Karma King

Patton believing in his own hype.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Karma King

Good to see a referee enforcing the black card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,371 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Karma King wrote: »

Commentators on about it are annoying. Thought Gough would give the yellow to keep him on

Karma King wrote: »

Stream went down. What happened?

Scrappy game donegal not on it yet. Weather is to Mayos advance here so far. An awful lot of wides though!

Higgins held McBrearty back, then arm over shoulder and pulled him to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Donegal miles off the pace. Mayos shooting keeping it close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Higgins basically jumped on McBrearty's back and dragged him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

And that last Mayo wide is the reason why they struggle to win All Ireland's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Home advantage showing today so far.

Do often wonder how Cillian O Connor broke that record with amount frees he misses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dour stuff so far, conditions not helping.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I know it's wet but this match is absolutely atrocious. No quality on show whatsoever.

Jesus that was desperate by Donegal

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I don't think you can pin the loss of interest in football on the super 8s.

The loss of interest has come because of the increasing gap between the top 4 or 5 teams and the rest. Even since last year Monaghan, Galway and one or two others have fallen back.

For the supporters of most counties the championship now holds no interest.

The big teams will hammer the rest regardless of the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mayo kicking away their chance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

As it stands, Mayo top the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Do often wonder how Cillian O Connor broke that record with amount frees he misses.

If I was playing London, Sligo and New York every year I'd be in the top 5 myself.

Not watching the Meath Kerry match but very close by the score anyway!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Donegal are awful. Absolutely awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Slattsy wrote: »
    If I was playing London, Sligo and New York every year I'd be in the top 5 myself.

As his been pointed out many times, most of his scores have come against better opposition.

You could say the same about Gooch playing in the Munster Championship. Or Dublin players in the current Leinster championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement