Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,837 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No leaders, apart from Murphy.

And he was off the tilt today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It was a match Kerry had to win though or they were facing possible elimination. Mayo knew they had Meath and home game after so didn't need to show hand, also Mayo had played 4 games in 4 weeks at that point.

O'Sheas, Moran, Cillian O'Connor, Doherty, McLoughlin, Boyle, Keegan, Barrett, Higgins. I can't think of a group of players with such longevity at top level in recent times.

Kerry didn't have to win in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Kerry didn't have to win in Killarney.

Technically they didn’t but it would have been an uphill battle if they had lost. They were lucky they got Mayo when they did, and at home in Killarney where Kerry are strong. I would not have liked a trip to Castlebar today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mayo are illustrating right here why they never won the all Ireland
    To nick a quote from "Snatch"; never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

They were lucky with the penalty. Mayo shot a lot of wides too, Mayo better side overall but neither at their best.

13 wides for each side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Watching Mayo get turnover after turnover you have to ask why do they regularly drop below those standards throughout the year? They are ****ing fierce in the tackle and it would be enough to consistently account for every team in Ireland bar Dublin yet they have to wait till backs are against the wall to produce. Why?

They get so much praise for 'coming back' every year yet they're never called out for what are obviously half measures earlier in the season. Its weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

corny wrote: »
    Watching Mayo get turnover after turnover you have to ask why do they regularly drop below those standards throughout the year? They are ****ing fierce in the tackle and it would be enough to consistently account for every team in Ireland bar Dublin yet they have to wait till backs are against the wall to produce. Why?

They get so much praise for 'coming back' every year yet they're never called out for what are obviously half measures earlier in the season. Its weird.

Ah, they won the league

Slattsy wrote: »
    If I was playing London, Sligo and New York every year I'd be in the top 5 myself.

:rolleyes: You could say the same about every team in Leinster besides Dublin. How much did ye beat the 2nd best team in Leinster by ?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

:rolleyes:You could say the same about every team in Leinster besides Dublin.

Carlow, Offaly, Longford, even Louth are better than Sligo never mind the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Mayo are as tough as old boots but prone to occasional lapses even against inferior opposition.

Next Saturday be something else if Dublin beat Tyrone tomorrow, which if the team sheets are any indication is probably more likely than not.

Looking at where both teams are, you would think Mayo are no longer is a position to give Dublin another real rattle, but I would not be banking the house on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ah, they won the league

Which was progress on previous years but they lost to Roscommon ffs. Roscommon wouldn't get near them if they played like they did today in Connacht.

Same thing happens every year yet the stupid praise they get for 'coming back' each year is almost reverential. They need a figure who sniffs out the bull****, calls a spade a spade and says standards aren't being set or kept. A Jim Gavin for example.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo are as tough as old boots but prone to occasional lapses even against inferior opposition.

Next Saturday be something else if Dublin beat Tyrone tomorrow, which if the team sheets are any indication is probably more likely than not.

Looking at where both teams are, you would think Mayo are no longer is a position to give Dublin another real rattle, but I would not be banking the house on that!

Really ran out of steam the last 20 minutes, not surprising with several games in as many weeks for the same players. I'd imagine most of Dublins A team will not be playing until next Saturday.
    We could get steamrolled against a professionally fit Dublin outfit. I'll be happy if we can keep it to 5 or 6 points and more if we don't get one or two back.

Nobody expected us to get to a semi final with the core of the team injured all year. I think Mayo supporters would have settled for a League win and semi final appearance at the start of the year.

Which was progress on previous years but they lost to Roscommon ffs. Roscommon wouldn't get near them if they played like they did today in Connacht.

Same thing happens every year yet the stupid praise they get for 'coming back' each year is almost reverential. They need a figure who sniffs out the bull****, calls a spade a spade and says standards aren't being set or kept. A Jim Gavin for example.

It has the advantage of giving all the young subs more games. Great experience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was surprised, i thought Donegal would win this.

Mayo were excellent in the first half.

I thought the penno was the right call, at one stage Keegan had both hands pulling on Murphy's top, you can do that regardless.

I thought Donegal were right back in it. The last point Murphy kicked when Keegan was on him was fantastic. After the switch he had more space but missed more, bad frees and inaccurate.

Brennan and McB dried up. I got the feeling that although Mayo were not keeping Donegal out as they did in the first half the damage was done. Langan and co couldn't hit the long range points that they hit versus Kerry.

Fair play to Mayo, I thought Boyle was fantastic.

TBH I think Higgins going off and RH back in goal improved Mayo considerably.

Where was McHugh after 10 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Excellent hard fought win from Mayo tonight, it was Mayo at their best, ferocious tackling. If there was a break next week going into the Dublin match I’d give Mayo a fighting chance but really can’t see anything other than a Dublin win next week - unless it’s Tyrone they’re playing , then the dynamic changes again. Such a shame the semi finals are next week, no time to enjoy what was a brilliant night in MacHale Park .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mayos expierence and coming in under the radar told this evening

Physically and mentally, they had Donegal number. Cuteness, being cynical and being mayo since 2011 saw them run out easy winners

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

In all fairness, they've had a horrendous year with injuries. The fact they are in an AI semi final is a miracle. I don't give them much chance against Dublin but they are the only team who have come close in recent years.

Its up to other counties now to put it up to Dublin.

C__MC wrote:
    Physically and mentally, they had Donegal number. Cuteness, being cynical and being mayo since 2011 saw them run out easy winners

Since 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Same thing happens every year yet the stupid praise they get for 'coming back' each year is almost reverential. .

I'm not sure about the reverential part. A lot of pundits have written them off and few thought they had any chance tonight.

They do deserve recognition for their resilience. I think it is an admirable trait in a person or group that keeps going after falling down.

Would still kill me if they were to beat Dublin this year, but not as much as getting beaten by a certain other team ;)

In all fairness, they've had a horrendous year with injuries. The fact they are in an AI semi final is a miracle. I don't give them much chance against Dublin but they are the only team who have come close in recent years.

Ahh their form was off too. The Kerry game was a poor performance from lads who played like mad men tonight.

It would be interesting if Mayo and Kerry were to play again.

Donegal were bunched too, that lad Ruane ran rings around everyone when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Looking like a Dublin kerry final providing Tyrone dont shock us tomorrow

I'd expect mayo to push Dublin close but Dublin to see it out

I think Kerry would have to much for Tyrone footballing wise and tyrones game plan would suit Kerry

Is it a double header for the Mayo senior and minors next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is it a double header for the Mayo senior and minors next week ?

Yes, minors on at 3pm, seniors on at 5pm.

Kerry also have a double on the Sunday with the minors playing Galway at 1.30pm and the seniors in action at 3.30pm.

Nice the way it worked out.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/gaa/11776975/horan-we-played-superbly

Video clearly showing here an intentional elbow/forearm off the ball straight to Aiden O Sheas head to flatten him. Very like what Vaughan got sent off for against Dublin in 2017.

How was that not a straight red ???:mad: The refs appear to have the attitude that Aiden O'Shea because hes big can take any kind of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/gaa/11776975/horan-we-played-superbly

Video clearly showing here an intentional elbow/forearm off the ball straight to Aiden O Sheas head to flatten him. Very like what Vaughan got sent off for against Dublin in 2017.

How was that not a straight red ???:mad: The refs appear to have the attitude that Aiden O'Shea because hes big can take any kind of abuse.

Lol. Wait till we see what your shower will be at off the ball.next weekend.

kona wrote: »
    Lol. Wait till we see what your shower will be at off the ball.next weekend.
    What has next week got to do with anything. you have two almost identical tackles, against Dublin in an All Ireland final the Mayo man gets a straight red yet tonight nothing. Both in front of the referee, very poor consistency. Very poor miss by Gogh.

If its not a sending off then that should apply to all teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

I said earlier in the year that I felt the jury was still out on Donegal. Just felt they weren't quite the finished article just yet. But lots of handy, pacy players in that squad and loads of potential. Think maybe were a wee but blind sided today. I expect to see more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

This idae that teams need more time between games is ludicrous. All that will happen is county managers will put on more training sessions. With the S8's teams have 2 games a break and 2 games one being a semifinal. An extra weeks break between final round and semifinal would have little effect and would like the old system leaves weeks where there is no games.

As a dual club last autumn as played Hurling games the weekend and football games on Tuesday/Wednesday nights for 3-4 weekends in a row so that a fixture list could be got through. About 8-10 players were starting om both teams. both team managements agreed to do light training of the players involved. It was more recovery session than training. We won the Football and reached the semi final of the Hurling. The best players for both teams were the dual players they became really battle hardened.

Talking to a few around Christmas they all said they really enjoyed it, no worrying about training just make sure you were ready for the game, no managers hassling about training the complete focus was playing the games not training. One player even highlighted that thew were using hurling tactics in football at time and football tactics in hurling. He remembers in one hurling game pushing up on the puckouts as the opposition wanted to go short

There is no comparison between farting about with a club and the work involved in preparing an inter county team for an all ireland semi final.

It is grossly unfair on players and management to expect them to conform to a 6 day turnaround simply because the GAA have cocked up their scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

It's set up for Mayo next week. No expectations, a chance to stop Dublins five in a row, players coming back from injury and a Dublin team that haven't had a decent game to push them since the league. Tyrone fielding a second string tomorrow might save Dublin legs but denies them a good tune up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

So much revisionism going on.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement