Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

threeball wrote: »
    It's set up for Mayo next week. No expectations, a chance to stop Dublins five in a row, players coming back from injury and a Dublin team that haven't had a decent game to push them since the league. Tyrone fielding a second string tomorrow might save Dublin legs but denies them a good tune up.

If Dublin beat Tyrone then next Saturday will be the Gotterdammerung for Mayo. The last chance for Horan and the older players to make their mark in history.

they have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Really ran out of steam the last 20 minutes, not surprising with several games in as many weeks for the same players. I'd imagine most of Dublins A team will not be playing until next Saturday.
    We could get steamrolled against a professionally fit Dublin outfit. I'll be happy if we can keep it to 5 or 6 points and more if we don't get one or two back.

Nobody expected us to get to a semi final with the core of the team injured all year. I think Mayo supporters would have settled for a League win and semi final appearance at the start of the year.
    Don’t think the majority of this team who are the guts of a decade on the road will be going up trying to keep it to 6 pts. There big underdogs if it’s dubs they play but they won’t fear them and rightfully so . They have had enough moral victories over the years .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If Dublin beat Tyrone then next Saturday will be the Gotterdammerung for Mayo. The last chance for Horan and the older players to make their mark in history.

they have nothing to lose.

since the talk of the 5 in a row started up 10 months ago , i have said the same thing , mayo are the only team to beat dublin ? why ...

because of intensity they are the only team in the country that in my opinion can match dublin but they flatter in all ireland finals , i said last september and i stand on it beware of mayo in an all ireland semi final they are better then the galway hurlers at winning them things ;) might lose the final but beware of the connacht boys at this stage of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

since the talk of the 5 in a row started up 10 months ago , i have said the same thing , mayo are the only team to beat dublin ? why ...

because of intensity they are the only team in the country that in my opinion can match dublin but they flatter in all ireland finals , i said last september and i stand on it beware of mayo in an all ireland semi final they are better then the galway hurlers at winning them things ;) might lose the final but beware of the connacht boys at this stage of the championship

They don’t have the legs or the depth required at this stage imo. Unless they get a significant slice of luck like Dublin going down to 14 early then Dublin will run them in to the ground in the second half.

Dublin in Croke Park is a completely different proposition to Donegal at home. I’d give Mayo a fighting chance but that’s about it. If they face Tyrone then it’s probably a 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Put it in perspective, div 1 winners beats div 2 winners at home. No big surprise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

risteard7 wrote: »
    Carlow, Offaly, Longford, even Louth are better than Sligo never mind the other two

Louth football and hurling is atrocious. Louth is a soccer county.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Beating Dublin today, then in the final would be embarrassing for the Dubs. Three losses against us in a year. Outplayed in the league earlier in the year when we had 14 men on the pitch for the last 20mins when the Dubs are touted as having such a strong bench they could field two teams.

I really hope you win today for your mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭doc_17

shockframe wrote: »
    Topcat32 wrote: »
    The August Bank Holiday weekend was the best weekend of the year for Gaelic Football under the old structure and takes place at a time just after most of the big annual global sporting summer events are over and just before the premiership begins so it got loads of media attention. Having only one match of real interest this year is a big step backwards.

It was in the 00s but since the 2011 Donegal V Kildare game there was a lack of drama in the 6 years of last 8 games that followed.

The best weekend of football over the last few years have been the semi finals.

You get 1 potentially decent game in the last group stage weekend. Tyrone v Donegal last year was brilliant watching Tyrones last quarter masterclass. Donegal V Mayo could be a decent one tonight.

Having a knockout quarter final stage would have one 50/50 type game at best.

The Super 8s has only given us 1 close game this year. And to put the supporters through all that effort and time to go to the games is very unfair. All done so that the GAA can sell it off to sky.

End it. End it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Dermo starting today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Super eights is a dead duck
    To many dead rubbers, the GAA robbing ordinary citizens as well with short turn around of games
    Tyrone and Dublin taking the piss today to be fair as well
    You have a challenge game in cork
    Farce of a competition these days is the AIC

Give me back the old Quater final slots and the semis on separate sundays with the traditional final in September
    That was a proper championship,not this current rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Five weeks to get from 8 teams down to four. Arguably 5 down to 4 as 3 of those were no-hopers. Then a 6 day turnaround and we go from 4 to 2 in a weekend. This is the problem. We need a better format.

If the GAA want a meaningful competition give us 8 groups of 4, top two advance to Sam Maguire knockout last 16 and bottom two play in second competition
    Simple really

C__MC wrote: »
    If the GAA want a meaningful competition give us 8 groups of 4, top two advance to Sam Maguire knockout last 16 and bottom two play in second competition
    Simple really

Second competition will remove intensity and kill the desire in teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

snailsong wrote: »
    Five weeks to get from 8 teams down to four. Arguably 5 down to 4 as 3 of those were no-hopers. Then a 6 day turnaround and we go from 4 to 2 in a weekend. This is the problem. We need a better format.

the six day turnaround for an Ireland Semi Final is a disgrace.

It happens when teams get a second chance through the back door which is fair enough but shouldn't happen on a game to decide who makes the All Ireland final.

No surprise we will see two pretty much second string team line outs today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Given that the GAA is not an organization that does anything without thinking long and hard about it, you would wonder at the reasons for compressing the championships, especially at the business end. And that includes wedging what have been two good under 20s championships into the gaps!

At least no-one is claiming any more that this is to benefit clubs, especially given the proposals to truncate the provincial and AI series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Give me back the old Quater final slots and the semis on separate sundays with the traditional final in September
    That was a proper championship,not this current rubbish

You might as well get rid of the back door while you're at it and preferably have an All Ireland draw. Every game would then be knockout and have a final atmosphere. Give the lesser counties some hope as every dog can have it's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I agreed with the quarter final changes initially but after two years they are showing their flaws.

The schedule of the semi finals is terrible.
    Each game should be a separate weekend to allow it the build up it deserves.

Having dead rubbers or shadow boxing this late in the season is not good.
    Had Donegal beaten Kerry in round 2 then Mayo v Donegal would have been a dead rubber also.

The CP game needs to change to a neutral venue, not because of an anti-Dublin agenda but because it does not attract a crowd and would be better suited to a neutral provincial ground.
    Hopefully this will be a change they make in the last year of the experiment.

It's very taxing on supporters, three times €25 is a lot, and that's before you bring a child.

We brought ourselves and 5 kids to Killarney for the Mayo game and it was €75 to get in the gate, before you buy a clor a bag of crisps, no way could we afford to all go to another game.

I think they will see out this current system for it's final season next year but things will change after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

I agreed with the quarter final changes initially but after two years they are showing their flaws.

The schedule of the semi finals is terrible.
    Each game should be a separate weekend to allow it the build up it deserves.

Having dead rubbers or shadow boxing this late in the season is not good.
    Had Donegal beaten Kerry in round 2 then Mayo v Donegal would have been a dead rubber also.

The CP game needs to change to a neutral venue, not because of an anti-Dublin agenda but because it does not attract a crowd and would be better suited to a neutral provincial ground.
    Hopefully this will be a change they make in the last year of the experiment.

It's very taxing on supporters, three times €25 is a lot, and that's before you bring a child.

We brought ourselves and 5 kids to Killarney for the Mayo game and it was €75 to get in the gate, before you buy a clor a bag of crisps, no way could we afford to all go to another game.

I think they will see out this current system for it's final season next year but things will change after that.

Last nights game would still have been something to play for even if Donegal had beaten Kerry.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You might as well get rid of the back door while you're at it and preferably have an All Ireland draw. Every game would then be knockout and have a final atmosphere. Give the lesser counties some hope as every dog can have it's day.

I enjoyed the back door in the old format
    Sligo 02 and fermanagh 04 was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Dermo starting today

Midfield

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »
    Dermo starting today

Midfield

In place of O Gara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I remember the centenary cup. Thought it was brilliant. Maybe because monaghan got to the final and were the width of the post away from winning it. Basterds Meath!

He doesn't deserve the record he holds, he's nowhere near the top six forwards in the country if you were picking an All Star team.

But mainly he's the most unlikable player in the country.
    Full of antics and has a horrible attitude. Hes the only GAA player I'd love to punch.

That must be the statement of the internet right there.
    He does not deserve the record he holds.

Can you tell me who deserves the record for the all time top scorer in championship football other than the player who has scored the most in football championship ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

charlie14 wrote: »
    Which of them is already in the Super 8`s by winning the Ulster Championship. :)

This aged well.

You liked the super 8s back then didn't you. Now it's bitching about the format on every gaa board.

32 teams into a hat and draw them out.

First out has home advantage of they can host it.

Five rounds two weeks apart, maybe three weeks to the final

They should give it a go for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭hunter164

Mon d dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Last night was far more enjoyable than almost any of the last 8 games between 2012-17.

The super 8's has got a lot of critics and whilst its not perfect there was still a lot of decent football.

About 4 of the 6 games so far have been watchable and Kerry v Mayo has a great atmosphere. Thats more than what you would potentially get with knockout quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

32 teams into a hat and draw them out.

First out has home advantage of they can host it.

Five rounds two weeks apart, maybe three weeks to the final

They should give it a go for a year.

And 16 team get only one game and 24 teams ate out out of the championship after two weeks. Kerry, Dublin, Mayo Donegal and Tyrone all meet on one side of the draw. We end up with one of them meeting Roscommon in the All Ireland Final. We have lads on here screaming about a seeded draw and maybe Di one teams not entering competition until there is only 8 left on the other side. And all this aside from the fact that London and New York compete in the Competition so you have more than 32 teams. So do we have a prelim competition to eliminate one to two teams. Next what about teams that are required to travel to NY or London because these teams got a home draw. New York beats Limerick, Wicklow and to reach quarter finals game is in NY Mayo have to travel play them and draw Donegal in the semifinal. Oh! its unfair on a team to have to play within two weeks after two long distance flights within 17 days of a big match.

The Flaw in the present system is that 3-4 of the teams will be new teams every year and 4-5 will be there continually. As well there is no relegation and at the start of the year for 3-4 teams its the challenge of making it to the QF rather than competing in them. Change and put in a 3 tiered championship at call it Grade A,B and C in3 X groups of 12 ( 32 counties + NY and London as well as Junior all Ireland County champions from previous year and the British provincial champions . Teams are drawn into 2 X groups of 6 and every team in a group playes each other. Teams 2nd and 3 in each group at each grade play in a cross group quarter final, then you play Semi and All Ireland finals.

Bottom two teams in each group play each other across groups to see who is relegated from Grade A to B and B to C. Grade B&C finalists are promoted each year. All Ireland finals are played on the same week end while the A grade is played in CP the B and C finals are played at a venue designated at the start of the year. You could move them around to Venues that hold 30K+ fans. Places like Castlebar, Clones, Killarney, Cork, Thurles and Limerick are all capable of holding such games as well as a few more see below for list of venues. C final is played at 5pm on Saturday Night and B final is played at 7pm.

Relegation battle are played maybe 2-3 weeks before All Ireland finals again at venues chose at start of the year Most venues capable of holding 20k+ supporters could be in the running. Places like Dr Hyde Parke, Wexford park and Nolan park.

Advantages are every team at start of year know that they will get a minimum of 5 games no team exits championship until late July so can prepare for that. No dead rubbers to a great extent as you fight to prevent being relegated. Teams that are promoted have 8 months to prepare for new level of competition. 6 teams playing competitive football until September 1'st. 12 teams in championship until Mid August.

Main disadvantage is that teams have to accept that they will have to reach tier A to compete for Sam. But it that way in Hurling anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Simple really

Don't see how that'd improve things. Killing off the provincial championships, two of which are still relatively healthy, in favour of introducing 48 group games most of which would be meaningless doesn't seem like progress.

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »
    Last night was far more enjoyable than almost any of the last 8 games between 2012-17.

The super 8's has got a lot of critics and whilst its not perfect there was still a lot of decent football.

About 4 of the 6 games so far have been watchable and Kerry v Mayo has a great atmosphere. Thats more than what you would potentially get with knockout quarter finals.

Disagree totally
    In 2012, Kerry v donegal was a great game
    In 2013, Tyrone v Monaghan and Dublin v cork were right battles

In 2014, armagh v donegal was a thriller as was cork.v mayo

In 2015 you had tyrone v Monaghan and in 2016 it was mayo v Tyrone as well Dublin v donegal

I enjoyed the old format, full houses on the August bank holiday weekend and some great do or die games

2017 was the old year that we didnt have a great game

There has been 1 good super eight game in 2 years, Kerry and Monaghan last year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement