Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

yop wrote: »
    So Tyrone see Kerry as an easier match than Mayo? The game was possibly there for the taking.

Neither are easy but our record against Mayo recently has been rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Totally agree with Joe Brolly on the free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Neither are easy but our record against Mayo recently has been rubbish.

Kerry will beat Tyrone
    Tyrones backs wont hold Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm Still Standing eh....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Must have been a late win for Roscommon? Skybet says they lost lol

It wasn't. Roscommon were leading by 4 points with a minute to go. Cork scored two in the five minutes of injury time and Roscommon scored with last kick of game to win by 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Colm Cooper better than usual today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bonnie.

Your prob after having a few but

Let me just say

If Dublin faced huge structural disadvantages

I’d be Dublin’s strongest advocate

All I want is equal treatment for all counties

You reckon that accusing me of posting online drunk is a decent opening gambit? One must have little left in your locker at this rate.

As it happens I drove up. So there's that plus, your opinions carry little weight on here. As I said you're a sham.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

STB. wrote: »
    Aye. Man of the Match.
    Well deserved. His kicked point from a tight angle in the first half was excellent.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Tyrone didn't go for that game. I simply cannot see them beating Kerry while they'd be favorites against Mayo. Dublin would beat either so you can understand why they made wholesale changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Really exciting game. Both strong sides, who played good attacking football. Brilliant travelling support (as always), who will have a nice drive home this evening after that win. Excitement all the way into the final minute.

It's just a pity I had to watch it on the player because of that Junior football game that was on RTE 2.

Roscommon finally get a super 8 victory away in Cork

4-09 to 3-09

A good season.
    Beat Mayo, Galway, Cork in championship.
    Connacht title.
    Gave Tyrone plenty of it and maybe should have got a draw.
    Hammered by Dublin.

Good year for a small county.

They had the beating of Tyrone who were shocking that day but Roscommon sleep-walked into that match completely lacking intensity and desire they showed in Mayo and Galway games.

It was good season, they beat Mayo in Castlebar, Galway in Salthill and Cork in Cork. The lows were obviously the two Tyrone games; the league game with the last minute over-turned free which eventually relegated them and the super 8 match.

Still alot of work to do though, it's a young squad and playing Division 2 football isn't ideal. They also need to improve their championship record in Hyde Park. I think somebody said Roscommon have only beaten Leitrim, Sligo and Armagh at home in the championship this decade..not good enough really.

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Kerry will beat Tyrone
    Tyrones backs wont hold Kerry

Mayo will beat Dublin
    Dublin backs wont hold Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mature.

Well deserved. His kicked point from a tight angle in the first half was excellent.

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Tyrone didn't go for that game. I simply cannot see them beating Kerry while they'd be favorites against Mayo. Dublin would beat either so you can understand why they made wholesale changes.

Mayo is a bogey team for ourselves and Kerry are a tad overrated imo. Either way it was gonna be tough

• Registered Users Posts: 25,392 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why Tyrone didn't go for that game.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place. All the effort they put in just to stay with the Dubs and when 60 minutes showed on the clock they were just about done, physically, every way.

Too a lot of praise has to go to the Dublin WALL of a defense, once the Tyrone boys hit the 45 they just hit a wall of blue.

Yeah I would say Tyrone would be happier getting Kerry as they have shocking record vs Mayo

Mayo is a bogey team for ourselves and Kerry are a tad overrated imo. Either way it was gonna be tough

After last night and the summer they have had Mayo won't be able to run next Saturday. If i was Tyrone i would be looking to play Mayo, they have probably played twice as much football as the most of the Dublin players.

Of course with brilliant GAA scheduling they won't have any recovery time. They would of needed a two week break to stand any chance. It the same players playing every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A wall? Tyrone had how many wides, many of them simply poor kicking. They also hit the crossbar.

Dublin should be very worried about that performance. It was really poor and far too many mistakes.

Dublin haven't been really tested this year, although that is true almost every year at this stage.

Given all that, I think the real threat to Dublin is themselves

Strumms wrote: »
    Stuck between a rock and a hard place. All the effort they put in just to stay with the Dubs and when 60 minutes showed on the clock they were just about done, physically, every way.

Too a lot of praise has to go to the Dublin WALL of a defense, once the Tyrone boys hit the 45 they just hit a wall of blue.

All the effort? It was an experiment. Look at the long balls into goal in the first half and the quick passing in the second.

The only wall that stopped ourselves was the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    A wall? Tyrone had how many wides, many of them simply poor kicking. They also hit the crossbar.

Dublin should be very worried about that performance. It was really poor and far too many mistakes.

Dublin haven't been really tested this year, although that is true almost every year at this stage.

They won by 6 with their second team?.
    Why would they be worried?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    They won by 6 with their second team?.
    Why would they be worried?

Well they were facing Tyrone's B team they could've lost to.

A team vs A team Tyrone demolished the Dubs already in the league this year down to 14 men with 20mins left this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

rossie1977 wrote:
    Yeah I would say Tyrone would be happier getting Kerry as they have shocking record vs Mayo

Mayo are usually good against the northern teams

Stoner wrote: »
    Mayo are usually good against the northern teams

Mayo are fantastic at identifying key threat(s) of the opposition and snuffing them out. They did it easily last night with Murphy and McHugh. The reason they got so close to Dublin down the years is by stopping supply via Cluxton and not letting Dublin's half backs attack at will.

vs Tyrone Mayo would have put Keegan on McShane and Durcan on Harte and Tyrone would likely struggle to get going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Why would they worry? Two weakened teams shadow boxing at best. Neither wanting to
    Show their hand. Tyrone accepted 2nd place before the throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Mayo are fantastic at identifying key threat(s) of the opposition and snuffing them out. They did it easily last night with Murphy and McHugh. The reason they got so close to Dublin down the years is by stopping supply via Cluxton and not letting Dublin's half backs attack at will.

vs Tyrone Mayo would have put Keegan on McShane and Durcan on Harte and Tyrone would likely struggle to get going at all.

Mayo havent had to deal with mc caffrey since 2015
    Will be interesting to see how they halt him, terrific player who has killed games for Dublin in past few seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Paddy Durcan made for the job. Will track McCaffrey and put him on the back foot at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭doc_17

Total farce today by the sounds of things. A run out for the second strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

That must be the statement of the internet right there.
    He does not deserve the record he holds.

Can you tell me who deserves the record for the all time top scorer in championship football other than the player who has scored the most in football championship ?

Score per game could be a better metric due to increasing number of games, this does skew records to more modern players.

Btw c'oc isnt a great free taker for pressure kicks to win games imo. I do think he has been on more frees than he should have been, same as mort before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ArielAtom wrote: »

Why would they worry? Two weakened teams shadow boxing at best. Neither wanting to
    Show their hand. Tyrone accepted 2nd place before the throw in.

Worried about the performance. Even a 2nd string should be able to defend better against a 2nd string team.

Tyrone should have wanted to win that game, it was there to be won. Being beaten at home is never a good luck. It amazes me that they gave in so meekly. Imagine the physiological advantage if they had beaten Dublin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Physiological?

Or Psychological?

From a physiological point of view, Tyrone have secured an extra day of recovery by being beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

But Tyrone didn't kick on. If Dublin are worried what must Tyrone be!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement