Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Conor Lane (Cork) refereeing the Dublin v Mayo match, while Maurice Deegan (Laois) handles Kerry v Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Physiological?

Or Psychological?

From a physiological point of view, Tyrone have secured an extra day of recovery by being beaten.

No they haven't, their first team has had an extra week rest and they would have been up against a team with a 6 vs a 7 day turnaround with mayo having had a more intense game.

Mayo were the team to want considering what they have had to do final day of the super 8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Today was a sad indictment of the Super 8s and I really can't see it lasting into the future. It's a format nobody particularly yearned for and it really hasn't added any great value to the championship apart from creating needless dead rubbers.

It's utterly bizarre having four August bank holiday games with only one of them actually having anything riding on it. You have to question the wisdom of teams having to travel five hours as Roscommon would have done to Cork to play a game utterly bereft of any significance.

In saying that, I think you really have to question why Tyrone didn't go all out to win that game. Had they absolutely taken it to Dublin and fielded a stronger fifteen they could have a blown a de-motivated Dublin out of the water which would have given them an enormous boost going into the semi final next weekend. Championship works best when it's pure knock out and the intensity of any Super 8 game over the last two years has just not been the same because of it.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Total farce today by the sounds of things. A run out for the second strings.

Not a farce at all, a farce is idiotic humour which would have been a team already qualified sending out first teamers to get injured without a tangible payoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Psychological, sorry.

And it's not a extra day. They played none of their top players so it's an extra week.

But exactly what are they waiting for? They had a chance to give Dublin a beating today, put doubts in Gavins head. Put more pressure on the players about cracking under 5 in a row.

Simply letting Dublin have their way has been tried before and been shown not to work.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Today was a sad indictment of the Super 8s and I really can't see it lasting into the future. It's a format nobody particularly yearned for and it really hasn't added any great value to the championship apart from creating needless dead rubbers.

It's utterly bizarre having four August bank holiday games with only one of them actually having anything riding on it. You have to question the wisdom of teams having to travel five hours as Roscommon would have done to Cork to play a game utterly bereft of any significance.

In saying that, I think you really have to question why Tyrone didn't go all out to win that game. Had they absolutely taken it to Dublin and fielded a stronger fifteen they could have a blown a de-motivated Dublin out of the water which would have given them an enormous boost going into the semi final next weekend. Championship works best when it's pure knock out and the intensity of any Super 8 game over the last two years has just not been the same because of it.

League should be the primary competition if you want more games. If you want championship feel it has to be knockout but that means less games, can't have it both ways.

GAA is an outlier in that most sports have a league system as their primary competition with possible playoffs at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

And 16 team get only one game and 24 teams ate out out of the championship after two weeks. Kerry, Dublin, Mayo Donegal and Tyrone all meet on one side of the draw. We end up with one of them meeting Roscommon in the All Ireland Final....

And what would be wrong with that? At least some other county might get a shout..

Lack of matches? Run the provincial champs separately. Still the league, plenty of games surely.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    And what would be wrong with that? At least some other county might get a shout..

Lack of matches? Run the provincial champs separately. Still the league, plenty of games surely.

Ok, where would you out these 3 separate comps timewise. Genuinely interested if you've a suggestion for when they'd be run off and replay rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Karma King wrote: »
    Probably because they're handed 16 times the funding of the nearest county (Cork).

Zzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭doc_17

Total farce today by the sounds of things. A run out for the second strings.

Not a farce at all, a farce is idiotic humour which would have been a team already qualified sending out first teamers to get injured without a tangible payoff.

In terms of why the super 8 was introduced it is a total farce. Having a non competitive match in a format designed to have more competitive matches is irony at the least. You can look that word up too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Leroy42 wrote: »

But exactly what are they waiting for? They had a chance to give Dublin a beating today, put doubts in Gavins head. Put more pressure on the players about cracking under 5 in a row..

Would it really though, given Dublin had a second string out? Possible the Dubs would prefer playing Kerry too, all things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Tell that to the Roscommon panel who were delighted to win today
    It gives them a 'final 8' win for first time, after reaching this stage the last years anda first win at this stage since quarter finals were introduced in 2001

If Roscommon had played Cork in their first game then their final game today would have been winner takes all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

should the super 8's be seeded so the 2 stronger teams play each other first and the two weeker teams also play each other first ,would this be any better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But exactly what are they waiting for? They had a chance to give Dublin a beating today, put doubts in Gavins head. Put more pressure on the players about cracking under 5 in a row.

Simply letting Dublin have their way has been tried before and been shown not to work.

What world are you living in? You think Gavin and the players aren't aware they've comprehensively beaten Tyrone the last 2 seasons by 11 and 6 in the championship? You think Ciaran Kilkenny's confidence would be shaken from his sofa because Robert McDaid and the lads lose a nothing contest?

Harte knows Tyrone would have to beat Dublin twice to win the All Ireland. It would be unbelievably foolish to jeopardise his chances against Kerry with a show of strength that impresses no one. Not even his players would care ffs.

And to be even more brutally honest Dublins second string would give Tyrones first a game. Imagine it backfired and his firsts lost against a weakened Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tyrone most be confident of toppling Kerry
    Weird they didn't go for it today, they havent beaten a top team in nearly 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

All the effort? It was an experiment. Look at the long balls into goal in the first half and the quick passing in the second.

The only wall that stopped ourselves was the bar.

Pity to see some of your lads making meals of shoulders hoping to have players carded or sent off while Dublin played with the manliness and respect we have come to expect of true champions ;)

In terms of why the super 8 was introduced it is a total farce. Having a non competitive match in a format designed to have more competitive matches is irony at the least. You can look that word up too!

Farce: an event or situation that is absurd or disorganized

The goal was to increas3 game numbers
    There are more games, 12 vs 4. Two of those games were dead rubbers, one unlikely to chase an upset on the last day (Kerry-Meath) that leaves 9 games that were "competitive" in that they were influencing the outcome for both teams.

Note that you got the meaning of farce or else the fact that the number of games increased wrong. Now that would also affect the irony bit too, look it up, I don't think this is dramatic irony so please show me how there are less competitive games than previously.

By the way you might have meant knock out rather than competitive. You can look up those words too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭doc_17

Farce: an event or situation that is absurd or disorganized

The goal was to increas3 game numbers
    There are more games, 12 vs 4. Two of those games were dead rubbers, one unlikely to chase an upset on the last day (Kerry-Meath) that leaves 9 games that were "competitive" in that they were influencing the outcome for both teams.

Note that you got the meaning of farce or else the fact that the number of games increased wrong. Now that would also affect the irony bit too, look it up, I don't think this is dramatic irony so please show me how there are less competitive games than previously.

By the way you might have meant knock out rather than competitive. You can look up those words too!

I never claimed there were less competitive games. Get a grip buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Jayus the Donegal back playing the sweeper was fairly hung out to dry on the Sunday Game

I never claimed there were less competitive games. Get a grip buddy!

Ah so you don't understand the word you asked me to look up. Well let me explain again, it isn't ironic that there were uncompetitive games in a format intended to provide more competitive ones if more competitive games took place in the new format, which occurred. I didn't say you said there were less competitive games just that your irony comment in your response to me was incorrect, just like the farce comment was.

Going to respond with more exclamation marks doc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cute geoge wrote: »
    should the super 8's be seeded so the 2 stronger teams play each other first and the two weeker teams also play each other first ,would this be any better
    Tried that last year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Why do they all keep saying 6 day turnaround for Mayo? Can they not count?

Tried that last year

It's squaring a circle. With a set amount of teams you either have knockout or more games. More games means you lose the edge someone either with back doors, dead rubber or otherwise. Only non direct knockout I see would be two legged ties which wouldn't work in GAA imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tried that last year

No it wasnt, the draw was predetermined a year in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe I'm wrong,but I think Ciaran Whelan was much more critical of the Super 8's the last time he was on The Sunday Game than he is tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It's squaring a circle. With a set amount of teams you either have knockout or more games. More games means you lose the edge someone either with back doors, dead rubber or otherwise. Only non direct knockout I see would be two legged ties which wouldn't work in GAA imo

Mayo could be all Ireland winners this year despite losing two competitive games. Is that not a strange scenario for a championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

joe40 wrote: »
    Mayo could be all Ireland winners this year despite losing two competitive games. Is that not a strange scenario for a championship.

It would be the best thing to happen for GAA since Seamus Darby's goal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

The same argument/situation could happen also in the hurling if Kilkenny win the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

RMAOK wrote: »
    The same argument/situation could happen also in the hurling if Kilkenny win the final.

I thought they only lost one game to Galway what other game did they lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well perhaps because of the long history of the cship but things evolve. The days of a straight knockout cship are over and rightly so imo. I can assure you, we wont give two ****s in Mayo if it comes to pass, actually the fact that Roscommon beta us and yet we went on to win would make it even sweeter:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement