Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

spurshero wrote: »
    I thought they only lost one game to Galway what other game did they lose

Wexford in the Leinster final

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Its far more likely Tyrone will reach the final than Mayo and Tyrone also lost 2 games.

Then again you can win many sports competitions despite losing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

spurshero wrote: »
    I thought they only lost one game to Galway what other game did they lose

Leinster final

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

joe40 wrote: »
    Mayo could be all Ireland winners this year despite losing two competitive games. Is that not a strange scenario for a championship.

It could easily happen in the likes of the champions league
    Lose a group game and one leg of the knockouts
    It probably has
    But we don’t remember
    Why
    Cos it doesnt matter
    All that matters is who wins the final
    Mayo lost no games in 89 , 96, 97, 2004 2006, 2012 or 2103 bar the final
    Can we have them All Ireland’s for winning all the other games so ?
    ;)

Jesus Christ looking at that is depressing
    And that’s without the more recent ones
    How
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Its one of the biggest team competitions on the planet and Spurs lost 3 or was it 4 games in the Champions League and still got to the final. You play by the rules of the competition not some romantic notion of what constitutes the perfect win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mayo in a Semi-Final against Dublin - If history has thought us anything 'Mayo will go to the well' beat Dublin.
    Be completely wrecked for the final and Kerry will win the final.

That is my nightmare scenario.

If Dublin do not win I would not mind if Tyrone won it outright, as long as it is not the Kingdom of notions.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Anyone but them fkers.

History would be rewritten quicker than the Soviet Encyclopedia of 1938.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Its one of the biggest team competitions on the planet and Spurs lost 3 or was it 4 games in the Champions League and still got to the final. You play by the rules of the competition not some romantic notion of what constitutes the perfect win

NBA is interesting too. Toronto Raptors lost 32 games over the 2018-19 season and won the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

joe40 wrote: »
    Mayo could be all Ireland winners this year despite losing two competitive games. Is that not a strange scenario for a championship.

Maybe strange depending on your view but not unusual. Kilkenny hurlers are in exactly the same situation. In fact they played five games in their provincial championship and won just two but could be All Ireland champions.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Anyone but them fkers.

History would be rewritten quicker than the Soviet Encyclopedia of 1938.

They would then be styled as the team after Dublin's 'failed' five a row - the start of the new era etc.

• Advertisement

Yes, all of that. Need to bate the living be jesus out of them in the final.

A chap might walk into the sea with a bottle of Smirnoff and a smile on his face after that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Better still Liverpool won the same competition having lost four games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Its far more likely Tyrone will reach the final than Mayo and Tyrone also lost 2 games.

Then again you can win many sports competitions despite losing games.
    Didn't Liverpool win the Champions league in June having lost 4 games on route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Liverpool lost 3 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭doc_17

doc_17 wrote: »
    I never claimed there were less competitive games. Get a grip buddy!

Ah so you don't understand the word you asked me to look up. Well let me explain again, it isn't ironic that there were uncompetitive games in a format intended to provide more competitive ones if more competitive games took place in the new format, which occurred. I didn't say you said there were less competitive games just that your irony comment in your response to me was incorrect, just like the farce comment was.

Going to respond with more exclamation marks doc?

Your original point was no sense. The ones you have made since have been less intelligible. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No it wasnt, the draw was predetermined a year in advance

The only way you can have what seems are the two strongest teams playing first is to have the provincial champions play each other first and the two back dor teams play each other first. this is what happened last year and then the provincial champions had to travel to there next game. This is a huge advantage to stronger back door teams.

Take this year Mayo would have played Meath and Kerry and Donegal would have played each other. At the start of round 2 If it remained the same and the same football results as this year, Donegal would have faced a trip to Castlebar and Kerry to Meath. After second round, Kerry and Mayo would have had 3 and4 points each Meath zero and Donegal one the Donegal/Meath match would be a dead rubber as Kerry and Mayo match might end up similar to last years Monoghan/Galways match or Mayo might rest key players like Dublin and Tyrone as they geared up for next week end

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No it wasnt, the draw was predetermined a year in advance

Well it was tried last year in the sense that in it's original format the provincial winner v provincial winner game and qualifier v qualifier game were the first round in CP.

But this was changed for this year as it was noticed that one provincial winner was immediately on the back foot and not really given any credit for winning their province, hence the provincial winner v qualifier at home for round one this year.

I'd agree with the analysis on The Sunday Game last night, where all agreed that the quarter finals need tweaks but there is no going back to the one off QF format.

I had to laugh after a quick glance at the headlines in the Irish Independent.

Eamonn Sweeney: 'Farcical finale sums up why unfair Super 8s format is a total flop'

With a picture underneath of joyous Dub fans on the pitch in Croke Park - in what was a jammed Healy Park.
    Total flop? Really?

70Farcical.jpg

Martin Breheny went even further with almost tabloid-esque hyperbole

Martin Breheny: 'That non-event in Omagh was a betrayal of the championship - it's time to scrap Super 8s'

Underneath there was a picture of two of the greatest managers in the history of Gaelic football, both smiling and looked like they enjoyed the day.

1770856.jpg

Where was the betrayal there?
    People got to go a game of ball they would other wise have not got to see. Dubs got to travel to Omagh. There were swarms of blue everywhere.
    The players enjoyed it.
    I think Bugler will remember it fondly after his Dublin career is over, for example.

Others are always giving out saying the Dubs should play outside Croke Park.
    Then when they do something else becomes the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Where was the betrayal there? People got to go a game of ball they would other wise have not got to see. Dubs got to travel to Omagh. There were swarms of blue everywhere. The players enjoyed it. I think Bugler will remember it fondly after his Dublin career is over, for example.

It was a great day out yesterday. The format was such that both teams had their work done beforehand, like winning another type of competition with points, shots or games to spare.

The Mayo, Donegal game was a more competitive game, mainly because Mayo played terribly against Kerry in their first game and left it until late so it was an exciting game. That's what the format can produce.

The game in Tyrone was a good day out. Lots of travelling supporters, some business for the county, I picked up my learn irish booklet, bought tickets for the local club raffle, all good.

It was imo a far better event than the Roscommon game, that was as poor a game that I've been to.

I think both managers got a benefit from the game without revealing too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

The super 8s, price increases and Sky deal all show where the GAAs priorities lie...making money first and foremost.

• Advertisement

I had to laugh after a quick glance at the headlines in the Irish Independent.

Eamonn Sweeney: 'Farcical finale sums up why unfair Super 8s format is a total flop'

With a picture underneath of joyous Dub fans on the pitch in Croke Park - in what was a jammed Healy Park.
    Total flop? Really?

70Farcical.jpg

Martin Breheny went even further with almost tabloid-esque hyperbole

Martin Breheny: 'That non-event in Omagh was a betrayal of the championship - it's time to scrap Super 8s'

Underneath there was a picture of two of the greatest managers in the history of Gaelic football, both smiling and looked like they enjoyed the day.

1770856.jpg

Where was the betrayal there?
    People got to go a game of ball they would other wise have not got to see. Dubs got to travel to Omagh. There were swarms of blue everywhere.
    The players enjoyed it.
    I think Bugler will remember it fondly after his Dublin career is over, for example.

Others are always giving out saying the Dubs should play outside Croke Park.
    Then when they do something else becomes the issue.

Oul hate the worlds.

Couldn't make it yesterday because daughter couldn't get day off (and had kind offer of a ticket from chap here having missed the PP sale) but anyone I talked to who went had a great time.

Especially those who brought their children who attend more games than any of probably a quarter of those who will get tickets for the final if we get there, but will be lucky to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They would then be styled as the team after Dublin's 'failed' five a row - the start of the new era etc.

Yes, it will be glorious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Do you think there'd be the same outcry if say Mayo and Dublin swapped places in the groups. ie Mayo and Tyrone played a non contest and Donegal and Dublin had something on the line in a tight game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

corny wrote: »
    Do you think there'd be the same outcry if say Mayo and Dublin swapped places in the groups. ie Mayo and Tyrone played a non contest and Donegal and Dublin had something on the line in a tight game?

If Sky had been covering the Dublin game there wouldn't have been a squeak about it all week

Assuming you lot don't shyte your kaks again playing an Ulster team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

corny wrote: »

Mayo wouldn't have qualified from the other group imo
    They beat two Division 2 teams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

If you think this Kerry team have a hope of winning an all Ireland in the next 5 years you're deluded. The only thing stopping Dublin doing the 5 in a row is Mayo beating them because theyd wipe the floor with Kerry and Tyrone (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Not really sure what gormdubhgorm's point is. You could have a great day out at a league game.
    As a competitive spectacle though, yesterday was a joke. Both teams were through so they effectively played a challenge game.

Surely, the GAA has to go back to one off quarter finals after this. The only slight tweak you could make is that the game is played in a neutral venue in the provincial winner's province as a way to drive more attendance for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Mayo wouldn't have qualified from the other group imo
    They beat two Division 2 teams

As a Galway man with no major gra for Mayo I actually think there the only team that might give Dublin a game . Dublin didn’t have to come out of second gear in last years final v Tyrone and I think they would have way to much for Kerry who are already too reliant on o Shea and Clifford . In fairness mayo have always given Dublin there fill of it last 7 or 8 years

• Advertisement

Mayo will bring their best game. Question really is whether they have the stamina to mount a similar challenge to 2013-17.

We shall have to wait to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement