Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo will bring their best game. Question really is whether they have the stamina to mount a similar challenge to 2013-17.

We shall have to wait to see.

To be honest for Mayo to bring their very best game, they need to hope Dublin have a very off day to have a sniff of victory. The two teams have grown apart since 2013-2017

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

doc_17 wrote: »
    Your original point was no sense. The ones you have made since have been less intelligible. Deal with it.

You asked me to check definitions you were wrong on, you're really struggling here doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

spurshero wrote: »
    As a Galway man with no major gra for Mayo I actually think there the only team that might give Dublin a game . Dublin didn’t have to come out of second gear in last years final v Tyrone and I think they would have way to much for Kerry who are already too reliant on o Shea and Clifford . In fairness mayo have always given Dublin there fill of it last 7 or 8 years

Very true.. but at the end of the day I think this mayo team is past it and don't have ed the class to worry the dubs that much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

vetinari wrote: »
    Not really sure what gormdubhgorm's point is. You could have a great day out at a league game.
    As a competitive spectacle though, yesterday was a joke. Both teams were through so they effectively played a challenge game.

Surely, the GAA has to go back to one off quarter finals after this. The only slight tweak you could make is that the game is played in a neutral venue in the provincial winner's province as a way to drive more attendance for the game.

I think the GAA might even expand the Super 8's after this not scrap it.
    The league game is normally in the cold and wet (granted there were heavy showers on the way back yesterday).
    But at least the fans were not shivering and counting thier toes - nice atmosphere.
    Younger lads got run outs.
    It was a much nicer atmosphere than most Dublin league games in Croke Park, or Dublin's games in the Leinster championship.
    Also I went to the Kerry v Donegal game in Croke Park as a neutral - fantastic game.
    I would not have seen that game only for the 'Super 8's'.

I see mostly plus points to the super 8's not negatives.
    Fans want to see more games, players want to play in more games.

The Cork/Meath/Roscommon players will definitely be brought on by the Super 8's.
    Where would they have been now without it?
    If there is a few dead rubbers so be it.

The only other alternative is to have a home and away league championship all season - but that is not going to happen.
    Which is why the GAA have to opt for this 'Super 8's' format currently.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

The league game is normally in the cold and wet (granted there were heavy showers on the way back yesterday).
    But at least the fans were not shivering and counting thier toes - nice atmosphere.
    Younger lads got run outs.
    It was a much niceer atmosphere than most Dublin league games in Croke Park, or Dublin's games in the Leinster championship.
    Also I went to the Kerry v Donegal game in Croke Park as a neutral - fantastic game.
    I would not have seen that game only for the 'Super 8's'.

I see mostly plus points to the super 8's not negatives.
    Fans want to see more games, players want to play in more games.

The Cork/Meath/Roscommon players will definitely be brought on by the Super 8's.
    Where would they have been now without it?
    If there is a few dead rubbers so be it.

The only other alternative is to have a home and away league championship all season - but that is not going to happen.
    Which is why the GAA have to opt for this 'Super 8's' format.

I'm in favour of it too.

Any system with 12 games of Football instead of 4 is to be welcomed.

If it hadn't existed Monaghan would have ended up facing Dublin or Tyrone for the 5th time in 6 last season. As it was they didn't play either of them last year and played 3 games en route to a semi final.

Counties like Clare, Limerick, Laois and Cavan all made a quarter final this decade and haven't made it back. I'm sure they would have liked a cut at super 8s.

I'm sure Kildare probably preferred the 2018 system over the 2015 where they got hammered by 27 points to Kerry in 2015. And Dublin have got tougher games in the last 2 seasons than any other time since 2010.

Any one of Meath, Roscommon and Cork could emerge all the better from this year Super 8's.

Great atmosphere, Some top class Football, Lots of talking points. Looking forward to next year.

Haters gonna hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

The mayo backs seem to be physically as strong as Dublin forwards and they can turn them over more easily then most teams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Super 8s for me also. And yes, put Dublin on the road more, love awaydays like yesterday and earlier league trips such as Clones, Roscommon, Salthill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Mayo wouldn't have qualified from the other group imo
    They beat two Division 2 teams

Despite Mayos struggles this year I would still have them ahead of Tyrone. Not sure why some are thinking Tyrone are best placed to take on the Dubs or what it's based on. Their system of play will always be picked apart by Dublin. Added to the fact they haven't truly beat a top team lately or one of Mayo, Dublin or Kerry since 08.

shockframe wrote: »
    I'm in favour of it too.

Any system with 12 games of Football instead of 4 is to be welcomed.

If it hadn't existed Monaghan would have ended up facing Dublin or Tyrone for the 5th time in 6 last season. As it was they didn't play either of them last year and played 3 games en route to a semi final.

Counties like Clare, Limerick, Laois and Cavan all made a quarter final this decade and haven't made it back. I'm sure they would have liked a cut at super 8s.

I'm sure Kildare probably preferred the 2018 system over the 2015 where they got hammered by 27 points to Kerry in 2015. And Dublin have got tougher games in the last 2 seasons than any other time since 201.

Any one of Meath, Roscommon and Cork could emerge all the better from this year Super 8's.

Great atmosphere, Some top class Football, Lots of talking points. Looking forward to next year.

Haters gonna hate.

I might be wrong but the majority who do not seem to like the super 8's are journos annoyed that they cannot find an obvious angle when teams have already qualified - so they go over the top and attack the Super 8's system.

Or fans from neutral counties who are not involved in the Super 8's - and they do not see the overall benefit of the games for the competing counties.

For me the Super 8's is the first part of the slow process towards a decent home and away league championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I might be wrong but the majority who do not seem to like the super 8's are journos annoyed that they cannot find an obvious angle when teams have already qualified - so they go over the top and attack the Super 8's system.

Or fans from neutral counties who are not involved in the Super 8's - and they do not see the overall benefit of the games for the competing counties.

For me the Super 8's is the first part of the slow process towards a decent home and away league championship.

The biggest problem with the super8s is that they happen at the wrong time and they are too condensed.

There's a good Championship in there somewhere.

I just fear that the League is going to be ruined to save the provincials.

• Advertisement

The super 8s, price increases and Sky deal all show where the GAAs priorities lie...making money first and foremost.

That is very unfair on the GAA. One of the fairest organisations when it comes to pricing that you can get.
    Money off for OAP's, students - family tickets.
    Hurling Heavan, football feast deals.

The ticket price increase is going to given directly back to the clubs

https://www.gaa.ie/news/clubs-to-benefit-from-ticket-price-increases/

As for the SKY money it goes back into the games.
    You will note that the Dublin game on Saturday is on both RTE and SKY.

When was the last time the GAA increased the price of tickets?

The biggest problem with the super8s is that they happen at the wrong time and they are too condensed.

There's a good Championship in there somewhere.

I just fear that the League is going to be ruined to save the provincials.

I hope your'e wrong the league has just managed to become a decent competition now - with a bit of pedigree to it.
    I do get the feeling that GAA are throwing darts at a board at these meetings, we could try x we could try y.
    Then the main problem with them is they try and please everyone and anyone then get something in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

dobman88 wrote: »
    If you think this Kerry team have a hope of winning an all Ireland in the next 5 years you're deluded. The only thing stopping Dublin doing the 5 in a row is Mayo beating them because theyd wipe the floor with Kerry and Tyrone (again)

My comment was tongue in cheek. Dubs are strong favourites and rightly so. We’ll see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I hope your'e wrong the league has just managed to become a decent competition now - with a bit of pedigree to it.
    I do get the feeling that GAA are throwing darts at a board at these meetings, we could try x we could try y.
    Then the main problem with them is they try and please everyone and anyone then get something in between.

The problem with the whole GAA community is that they are reactionary, how many people want to change the championship structure to curtail Dublins dominance or even split Dublin up due to their current dominance with no gaurantee that in 5 years time they will be as strong as they currently are, then you are left with structures that were put in place to control the bogeyman of the dominant team instead of addressing the real issues facing the current championship structure

However back to this years Championship, I expect Dublin to win comfortably, perhaps by 5 pulling up and Tyrone to overturn Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Despite Mayos struggles this year I would still have them ahead of Tyrone. Not sure why some are thinking Tyrone are best placed to take on the Dubs or what it's based on. Their system of play will always be picked apart by Dublin. Added to the fact they haven't truly beat a top team lately or one of Mayo, Dublin or Kerry since 08.

It's based on Donegal being out.

kilns wrote: »
    However back to this years Championship, I expect Dublin to win comfortably, perhaps by 5 pulling up and Tyrone to overturn Kerry

If Tyrone and Dublin do get to the Final this year I don't think Dublin will be able to play as well as last year's final.
    Very few wides no pot shots from Dublin then. Personally I think it was thier most impressive AI win out of the last 6 wins.

Dublin have not looked as sharp and focused, as they did since then.
    Plus Tyrone seem to have improved.

Anyway there is a lot of football to be played before the final.
    Those Mayo geriatrics that won't go away will have to be dealt with by Dublin.
    And Tyrone will have to beat the Kingdom Kids.

Neither is a certainty I think in both semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My comment was tongue in cheek. Dubs are strong favourites and rightly so. We’ll see how it plays out.

Its anyones now.

Of the four remaining I could see Mayo beating anyone, Kerry and Dublin too.

Not sure that Tyrone would beat Mayo.

All that said I'm not sure this Mayo team is back to where it was 2 years ago.

I genuinely think they'd a great first half against Donegal but that Donegal had plenty of opportunities in the second half but didn't take their chances, and I mean apart from Mayo pressure, there were frees, poor shots etc that Mayo lads were off the mark on but Donegal were disappointing, Langan etc.

Absolutely. I love the league. It's actually one of the competitions that the GAA have gotten nailed. Especially now that they have gotten rid of the SFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Stoner wrote: »
    Its anyones now.

If Dublin get past the semi I would make them very strong favourites. Mayo are the only team who have put it up to them in the championship for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If Dublin get past the semi I would make them very strong favourites. Mayo are the only team who have put it up to them in the championship for a number of years.

But even then have never actually bested them. And there is a fair bit of evidence that this Mayo team is not the same as a few years ago.

In addition, Dublin were able to rest many players yesterday, and those that played had a 1/2 throttle match, so Mayo are coming in having played significantly more tense and tiring football.

I would think that Mayo will have to be a few points clear with 15 minutes to go to have any chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

shockframe wrote: »
    And Dublin have got tougher games in the last 2 seasons than any other time since 2010.

Ah here, that borders on propaganda. If anything, it's been getting easier and easier for Dublin with every year that goes by. Unless you're from say Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal or Tyrone, you don't really believe your county can win the championship. And even then you're aware that Dublin are prohibitive favorites. Any format that prolongs the wait for Dublin to face a actual knockout game is boring imo. Dublin's Championship finally begins next week.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But even then have never actually bested them. And there is a fair bit of evidence that this Mayo team is not the same as a few years ago.

In addition, Dublin were able to rest many players yesterday, and those that played had a 1/2 throttle match, so Mayo are coming in having played significantly more tense and tiring football.

I would think that Mayo will have to be a few points clear with 15 minutes to go to have any chance.

Tomas O'Sé was going on about Mayo only taking one third of thier shots normally.
    He said they would have to be one in two to beat 'the Dubs'.

I was at the Meath v Mayo game - Mayo did thier best to try and kick it away early on - some awful wides.
    It must drive Mayo fans mad.

I think your'e right Mayo will need a few goals/or be a few points to ahead in the last 15 so they can harry and hassle - and then they would not have to rely on thier shooting under pressure in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Dublin's Championship finally begins next week.

Agreed and arguably the AI football starts next weekend full stop. Mostly window dressing up to now in terms of the final shakedown.

Not sure if Mayo can beats the Dubs in a final, but they sure can in a SF.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Agreed and arguably the AI football starts next weekend full stop. Mostly window dressing up to now in terms of the final shakedown.

It's funny if it was Mayo in a final I would be really relaxed the majority of the pressure would be on Mayo (as usual).

But the fact that it is in the semi-final, and Dublin see it just as another step to the main prize it means the pressure is on Dublin imo.
    It might free Mayo up a bit if the old bones can rest over the next few days.

It's funny if it was Mayo in a final I would be really relaxed the majority of the pressure would be on Mayo (as usual).

But the fact that it is in the semi-final, and Dublin see it just as another step to the main prize it means the pressure is on Dublin imo.
    It might free Mayo up a bit if the old bones can rest over the next few days.

I agree with this. This is why I wanted to play Kerry in the SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Ah here, that borders on propaganda. If anything, it's been getting easier and easier for Dublin with every year that goes by. Unless you're from say Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal or Tyrone, you don't really believe your county can win the championship. And even then you're aware that Dublin are prohibitive favorites. Any format that prolongs the wait for Dublin to face a actual knockout game is boring imo. Dublin's Championship finally begins next week.

Dublin won comfortably against Tyrone in 2011, were below par in 2012 v Laois, Were far more convincing winners than 4 points v cork 2013, Beat monaghan at their ease in 2014/17 and Donegal in 2016.

Donegal gave them a game for 60 minutes last season as did Cork a few weeks ago. Tyrone in omagh was the hardest game they have had since 2010. Even all things being equal and irrelevent yesterday wasn't one sided either.

Another few years of the super 8's and they will get more harder games than they did in the 2011-17 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jody Smoke

Really disappointing Dublin are playing Mayo in the semi final.

It almost certain now that Mayo will beat Dublin in the semi and then lose to Kerry in the final.Its exactly the sort of sporting triumph mixed with tragedy that Mayo specialize in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

BarryD2 wrote: »

I think I am going to do a doctorate re this oft claimed hypothesis.I am always truly bambozzled re the logic behind this claim.IMO it's a lazy cliche.They're unbeaten in over 4 odd years championship wise with a sole black mark in the 2014 semi final.

What is your basis for this assumption because I do not think it matters a jot what stage of the championship you meet them in and I am convinced there is no team at the moment that they enjoy beating more than Mayo,not even the kingdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

While everyone seems to believe yesterdays game in Omagh was regarded by both teams as a non-event of no importance, I still got the feeling that in the second half Dublin showed a lot of determination to win.
    For me at least it looked as if they really wanted Mayo in the semi-final in that the do not want Mayo to have the chance of a break after such a hard slog of a championship where more injuries would clear up if meeting them in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A lot of people would have made similar comments at this stage in 2017, yet Mayo came within inches of beating Dublin again. Basing my comments on Mayo being the only team capable of mixing it with Dublin in recent years, and the Dubs maybe being slightly more vulnerable in the semi than the final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement