Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

I had to laugh after a quick glance at the headlines in the Irish Independent.

Eamonn Sweeney: 'Farcical finale sums up why unfair Super 8s format is a total flop'

With a picture underneath of joyous Dub fans on the pitch in Croke Park - in what was a jammed Healy Park.
    Total flop? Really?

70Farcical.jpg

Martin Breheny went even further with almost tabloid-esque hyperbole

Martin Breheny: 'That non-event in Omagh was a betrayal of the championship - it's time to scrap Super 8s'

Underneath there was a picture of two of the greatest managers in the history of Gaelic football, both smiling and looked like they enjoyed the day.

1770856.jpg

Where was the betrayal there?
    People got to go a game of ball they would other wise have not got to see. Dubs got to travel to Omagh. There were swarms of blue everywhere.
    The players enjoyed it.
    I think Bugler will remember it fondly after his Dublin career is over, for example.

Others are always giving out saying the Dubs should play outside Croke Park.
    Then when they do something else becomes the issue.

Martin Breheny must be the most miserable journalist in the entire country (Sport or otherwise).

I can't remember anything remotely positive he has ever said about Football. Non-stop moan after moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Two great games to look forward to in HQ this weekend. I fancy a Dublin v Tyrone final for the second year in succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Very surprised that anyone thinks Tyrone will beat Kerry. I don't see it myself. Kerry forwards won't have anyone on that Tyrone team standing back and admiring them for sure, but they still have an extra bit of quality, imo.

Kerry v Tyrone is pretty much 50/50 for me but i feel the two weeks rest for Tyrone is a nice advantage and Tyrone will suffocate the Kerry forward line of dangerous possession. Looking forward to a high quality dual between these old foes.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭mcgragger

Kerry v Tyrone is pretty much 50/50 for me but i feel the two weeks rest for Tyrone is a nice advantage and Tyrone will suffocate the Kerry forward line of dangerous possession. Looking forward to a high quality dual between these old foes.

Its only an extra day.

Tyrone Kerry is on Sunday

• Advertisement

mcgragger wrote: »
    Its only an extra day.

Tyrone Kerry is on Sunday

I mean Tyrone's first 15 will have had two weeks rest by the time the ball is thrown in on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

If Dublin get past the semi I would make them very strong favourites. Mayo are the only team who have put it up to them in the championship for a number of years.

So this wasn't putting it up to Dublin? https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-4-2952450-Aug2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So this wasn't putting it up to Dublin? https://www.the42.ie/dublin-kerry-4-2952450-Aug2016/

Ah we eased to that victory in the end really. Kerry were gassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

shockframe wrote: »
    Dublin won comfortably against Tyrone in 2011, were below par in 2012 v Laois, Were far more convincing winners than 4 points v cork 2013, Beat monaghan at their ease in 2014/17 and Donegal in 2016.

Donegal gave them a game for 60 minutes last season as did Cork a few weeks ago. Tyrone in omagh was the hardest game they have had since 2010. Even all things being equal and irrelevent yesterday wasn't one sided either.

Another few years of the super 8's and they will get more harder games than they did in the 2011-17 days.

The Championship is dead if that's what passes for "hard games".
    They won all those games by at least 5 points.
    I think Mayo can give them a game this Saturday but would still expect Dublin to win by at least 3 points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Would it be easy to get tickets to the Mayo Dublin semi-final?
    I don't see tickets on sale on GAA.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Very easy, yes. I cant remember a semi final selling out in a long time.

Tickets will be on sale on tickets.ie and "selected"super valu/centra shops tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

PressRun wrote: »
    Very surprised that anyone thinks Tyrone will beat Kerry. I don't see it myself. Kerry forwards won't have anyone on that Tyrone team standing back and admiring them for sure, but they still have an extra bit of quality, imo.

Plus Tyrone havent beaten a top.team in all Ireland series since 2009

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

dobman88 wrote: »

Tickets will be on sale on tickets.ie and "selected"super valu/centra shops tomorrow morning.

Thank you Sir.

I am not from either county but I would love the chance to see 2 great teams in knock out action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not sure it will be that easy. 2017 semi final Dublin v Tyrone and 2016 v Mayo were both sold out full houses.

Last year was bad because no one gave Galway a chance and their footballers are very badly supported. I'd say there was no more than 1,500 of them.

This is last chance saloon for Mayo who have huge support and Dublin would sell 50,000 on their own if they had them, so be surprised if its not another sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I mean Tyrone's first 15 will have had two weeks rest by the time the ball is thrown in on Sunday.

3 weeks actually

dobman88 wrote: »

Thank you Sir.

I am not from either county but I would love the chance to see 2 great teams in knock out action.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not sure it will be that easy. 2017 semi final Dublin v Tyrone and 2016 v Mayo were both sold out full houses.

Last year was bad because no one gave Galway a chance and their footballers are very badly supported. I'd say there was no more than 1,500 of them.

This is last chance saloon for Mayo who have huge support and Dublin would sell 50,000 on their own if they had them, so be surprised if its not another sell out.

I'd be trying to get them ASAP. As my canine friend stated, 2017 and 2016 were sold out.

The "Bring a Friend" allocation for Season ticket holders is now sold out as well.

General sale will be tomorrow at 10am.

Ah we eased to that victory in the end really. Kerry were gassed.
    Needed injury time scores to win, some "eased" to victory that was. If Mayo lose in a similar manner on Saturday night the old cliches will be rolled out. Died with their boots on and carried out on their shields etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'd be trying to get them ASAP. As my canine friend stated, 2017 and 2016 were sold out.

The "Bring a Friend" allocation for Season ticket holders is now sold out as well.

General sale will be tomorrow at 10am.

A lot of people not happy with the Bring a Friend option being sold out, allegedly.

This while some Dublin and Mayo supporters saying their STs were not even validated before this was announced and they had a chance to take advantage.

Be pity if the loyalists from both counties lose out once again to eventers for what is beyond doubt the biggest draw in Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

A lot of people not happy with the Bring a Friend option being sold out, allegedly.

This while some Dublin and Mayo supporters saying their STs were not even validated before this was announced and they had a chance to take advantage.

Be pity if the loyalists from both counties lose out once again to eventers for what is beyond doubt the biggest draw in Irish sport.
    Who are the DUP supporting now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

All season ticket holders had the option of purchasing 4 additional tickets.

Sold out by 11 AM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Treble double

I hope your'e wrong the league has just managed to become a decent competition now - with a bit of pedigree to it.
    I do get the feeling that GAA are throwing darts at a board at these meetings, we could try x we could try y.
    Then the main problem with them is they try and please everyone and anyone then get something in between.

Absolutely. I love the league. It's actually one of the competitions that the GAA have gotten nailed. Especially now that they have gotten rid of the SFs.
    100% the league is brilliant competition, competitive games in all divisions and it is a barometer of the state of health of every county

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Dublin by 10 plus I think and Tyrone to scrap past Kerry

Needed injury time scores to win, some "eased" to victory that was. If Mayo lose in a similar manner on Saturday night the old cliches will be rolled out. Died with their boots on and carried out on their shields etc...

We scored during the match. 1st or 77th. Doesn't matter.

We were reeling them in the whole second half.

seligehgit wrote: »
    All season ticket holders had the option of purchasing 4 additional tickets.

Sold out by 11 AM!

We were only offered in 310 and 313 this morning when I went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think I am going to do a doctorate re this oft claimed hypothesis.I am always truly bambozzled re the logic behind this claim.IMO it's a lazy cliche.They're unbeaten in over 4 odd years championship wise with a sole black mark in the 2014 semi final.

What is your basis for this assumption because I do not think it matters a jot what stage of the championship you meet them in and I am convinced there is no team at the moment that they enjoy beating more than Mayo,not even the kingdom?

It is a bit of a cliche but cliches can become self fulfilling too. There's rightly huge expectation when Mayo have got to a final in recent years, pressure on to just win and get rid of the monkey off their backs.

Different kind of pressure in the SF, so whilst the Dubs will be favourites, Mayo arguably psychologically have a better chance of turning them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Who are the DUP supporting now?

I wonder what they make about Fermanagh's style of play?

JS154926327.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I have a different memory of it.

In injury time and with Dublin a point up, Gough missed a blatant free inside the 45 which would have drawn the game. Instead Dublin went straight down the pitch and got the last score of the game.

Gough admitted in an interview a year later that he didn't see his clubmate foul Peter Crowley and he apologised for the mistake.

[PHP][/PHP]

It does matter when we are talking about putting it up to Dublin. A game in the balance deep into injury is the definition of putting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

BPKS wrote:

I've a far happier memory of it altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

BPKS wrote: »

In injury time and with Dublin a point up, Gough missed a blatant free inside the 45 which would have drawn the game. Instead Dublin went straight down the pitch and got the last score of the game.

Gough admitted in an interview a year later that he didn't see his clubmate foul Peter Crowley and he apologised for the mistake.

Maybe Gough was also "gassed" towards the end of that game :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement