Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Dublin by 10 plus I think and Tyrone to scrap past Kerry

Dublin by 3+, Kerry to mow through Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

MfMan wrote: »
    Dublin by 3+, Kerry to mow through Tyrone.

Auld Tyrone supporters were discussing the draw yesterday they were delighted they got Kerry, and not Mayo.
    Claimed Mayo was thier bogey team, and they should take Kerry.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Auld Tyrone supporters were discussing the draw yesterday they were delighted they got Kerry, and not Mayo. Claimed Mayo was thier bogey team, and they should take Kerry.

Mayo are usually very good against northern teams, they out Tyrone them.

Stoner wrote: »
    Mayo are usually very good against northern teams, they out Tyrone them.

Oh right I see. I couldn't get my head around why they would want Kerry at the time.
    Makes sense now.
    They think they will bully and intimidate the young Kerry lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I don't know, but that would be my thinking. There was all that talk around the 2003 to 2009 years, kerry couldn't handle an intense game etc, even though they won 3 or 4 AIs and put 2 back to back, it was always a thin arguement imo.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't know, but that would be my thinking. There was all that talk around the 2003 to 2009 years, kerry couldn't handle an intense game etc, even they won 3 or 4 AIs and put 2 back to back, it was always a thin arguement imo.

Yeah after seeing that Kerry v Donegal game I wouldn't be thinking those Kerry lads are softies.
    Organisation on the pitch is thier weak spot though - the opposite to the Red Hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Oh right I see. I couldn't get my head around why they would want Kerry at the time.
    Makes sense now.
    They think they will bully and intimidate the young Kerry lads.
    And wanted Kerry because they have a loose marking defence and should be easier to score against than Mayo who would focus on Donnelly,Harte,McShane to curb their influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Don’t rate Tyrone very highly. It might be a year too soon but Kerry have the talent to put them away with ease.

Mayo will deliver a big performance. If Dublin start as slowly as they did against Galway in the semi final last year, Mayo need to ruthlessly take advantage and be much more clinical than they were against Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

When Kerry play without a sweeper they look very vulnerable. They can organise themselves when they need to though.

It’s an interesting matchup. Part of me thinks Tyrone will be too tough and experienced for Kerry but I have a sneaky feeling Peter Keane will be well prepared for them. I can’t wait. It’s great that the minor game is on beforehand too. Will be a good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Leroy42 wrote:
    But even then have never actually bested them. And there is a fair bit of evidence that this Mayo team is not the same as a few years ago.
    Mayo beat Dublin in the semi in 2012 when they were reigning champions.

• Advertisement

Mayo beat Dublin in the semi in 2012 when they were reigning champions.

Yeah that gets forgotten about.
    I can't recall being too annoyed about it at the time.
    So Mayo must have deserved it, or else I was just happy with the 2011 win so was not too put out.

Just looked it up there it was 19-16 to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The usual caveat I see is that Mayo have never beaten Gavin's Dubs. They did beat them under Gilroy though.

The usual caveat I see is that Mayo have never beaten Gavin's Dubs. They did beat them under Gilroy though.

I wonder do Mayo do shooting drills at all? Because they can be infuriatingly careless and lazy with thier shooting.
    It is awful annoying watching them even as a neutral when they do it.
    A slashed shot when another fella was open, or a ball dropped into the keeper's hands.
    It all just seems pure Mayo to me - then thier fighting spirit has to get them out of trouble - that seems pure Mayo as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

[PHP][/PHP]

It does matter when we are talking about putting it up to Dublin. A game in the balance deep into injury is the definition of putting it up.

Back in 2017 before the final I posted on the Dublin thread about at what stage that season (2017) Dublin took the lead for the last time in a game

It was kind of a gauge to see how well teams fared against them because you often hear stuff like "so and so only lost to Dublin by x".

Anyway in 2017 it was as follws
    Carlow were 1 up until the 2nd minute

Kildare were 1 up until the 3rd

Tyrone were 1 up until the 2nd

But here is the real outlier , Westmeath were level on the 12th minute,coming from being 4-2 down in the 9th.

In the 2017 final v Mayo Dublin took the lead for the last time on the 73 minute or close to it

So in 2016 v Kerry it was actually the 72nd minute that they took the lead for good.
    Based on most of Dublin's games that was very late

While we are at it here are the numbers for 2018 and 2019 to date

V Wicklow - 1st minute
    v Longford - 1st minute
    v Loais - 19th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Donegal - 25th minute (Donegal lead up to the 22nd minute)
    v Tyrone - 22nd Minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Roscommon - 6th minute (dead rubber)
    v Galway - 27th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Tyrone - 22nd minute

v Louth - first 5 minutes or so, not sure
    v Kildare - 4th minute
    v Meath - 11th minute (the first score of the game)
    v Cork 18th minute
    v Roscommon - 11th minute
    v Tyrone - 8th minute

The latest Dublin have been level or behind in almost two championship season is the 27th minute
    Not even half time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

great stats, it really captures what you're seeing when you watch Dublin games lately.
    They're coasting along without really getting challenged.
    The scary thing is that teams are getting father behind them than getting closer.
    Mayo could come out all guns blazing on Saturday and still be behind at half time with Dublin not reaching top gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Back in 2017 before the final I posted on the Dublin thread about at what stage that season (2017) Dublin took the lead for the last time in a game

It was kind of a gauge to see how well teams fared against them because you often hear stuff like "so and so only lost to Dublin by x".

Anyway in 2017 it was as follws

In the 2017 final v Mayo Dublin took the lead for the last time on the 73 minute or close to it

So in 2016 v Kerry it was actually the 72nd minute that they took the lead for good.
    Based on most of Dublin's games that was very late

While we are at it here are the numbers for 2018 and 2019 to date

V Wicklow - 1st minute
    v Longford - 1st minute
    v Loais - 19th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Donegal - 25th minute (Donegal lead up to the 22nd minute)
    v Tyrone - 22nd Minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Roscommon - 6th minute (dead rubber)
    v Galway - 27th minute (Dublin goal put them ahead)
    v Tyrone - 22nd minute

v Louth - first 5 minutes or so, not sure
    v Kildare - 4th minute
    v Meath - 11th minute (the first score of the game)
    v Cork 18th minute
    v Roscommon - 11th minute
    v Tyrone - 8th minute

The latest Dublin have been level or behind in almost two championship season is the 27th minute
    Not even half time

Quick one
    How many of those games were in Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

shockframe wrote: »
    Martin Breheny must be the most miserable journalist in the entire country (Sport or otherwise).

I can't remember anything remotely positive he has ever said about Football. Non-stop moan after moan.

Paul Kimmage?

Paul Kimmage Junior (Ewan McKenna)?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Quick one
    How many of those games were in Croke Park?

Mother of Christ. Have you NOTHING else to contribute to this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

The stats regarding Dublin getting and remaining ahead are interesting but they will not always tell the full story. Mayo took the lead for the final time (and first as it happens) against Donegal in the 13th minute last weekend. Some might interpret in Dublin's case as a sign they were "cruising" but the Mayo-Donegal match was close enough with the outcome still in doubt late on.

To be fair this does not negate the significance of the stats in Dublin's case as in most of the situations (including matches in Portlaoise and Omagh) they were comfortable enough so you'd expect that they'd get a grip on the games early enough especially given that only two of their opponents were good and consistent enough to maintain NFL Division 1 status in both years, while several of the others were Division 3/4 teams.

Interesting to note that Dublin's two biggest margins of victory were achieved outside Croke Park as were two of the four wins against those two Division 1 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I just asked a simple question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Of course if you examine the statistics from 1880 to 2010, you will see clearly in that 130 year period Dublin always led from the 11th minute on whenever they played in Croke Park, but lost the games they played in smaller country grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Powerhouse wrote: »
    The stats regarding Dublin getting and remaining ahead are interesting but they will not always tell the full story. Mayo took the lead for the final time (and first as it happens) against Donegal in the 13th minute last weekend. Some might interpret in Dublin's case as a sign they were "cruising" but the Mayo-Donegal match was close enough with the outcome still in doubt late on.

To be fair this does not negate the significance of the stats in Dublin's case as in most of the situations (including matches in Portlaoise and Omagh) they were comfortable enough so you'd expect that they'd get a grip on the games early enough especially given that only two of their opponents were good and consistent enough to maintain NFL Division 1 status in both years, while several of the others were Division 3/4 teams.

Interesting to note that Dublin's two biggest margins of victory were achieved outside Croke Park as were two of the four wins against those two Division 1 counties.

To be honest, they do tell the full story.

There hasnt been a game in the past two years where Dublin have looked in anyway like potentially losing at half time, in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I just asked a simple question.

Of course you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

Has anyone actually managed to get tickets to the Dublin Mayo match online? I've gotten through twice and both times website has crashed and I'm not back of the queue online. My friend queueing in supervalu was told that they can't even access the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will be interesting to see if Tyrone go ultra defensive on Kerry. Dont think Kerry fear Tyrone to much, beat them in 15 and 12 easily as well as most league meetings.
    Mc Shane and Donnelly will need big games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Tombo2001 wrote: »

There hasnt been a game in the past two years where Dublin have looked in anyway like potentially losing at half time, in the championship.

Okay, so you think that there was no way that Mayo looking like potentially losing at half-time against Donegal (just to pick up on the actual point I was making - if I am going to be contradicted let's at least argue the arguable point)?

Fair enough I suppose. Depends how highly you rate Mayo maybe. Even at 1-7 to 0-4 I thought it was still a live game, and I think it was 1-9 to 1-8 and 1-10 to 1-9 during the second-half so I don't think I was too far wrong.

Not sure that I claimed there has been?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Emz93 wrote: »
    Has anyone actually managed to get tickets to the Dublin Mayo match online? I've gotten through twice and both times website has crashed and I'm not back of the queue online. My friend queueing in supervalu was told that they can't even access the system.
    Got ones using ticketmaster on my phone but tickets.ie bombed once I got to section select screen at 10:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I got them, was 185th in queue and when I finally got through the link was dead, just refreshed the page and all went fine from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Emz93 wrote: »

Yeah Ticketmaster was fine had to do them in 2 sets of 2 and then tickets.ie was showing service unavailable when selected The Buy Option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

I think my luck is out. Exact same thing happened for the Dub Tyrone semi two years ago. So frustrating but I'll enjoy watching it none the less!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement