Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Personally, I don't think there are many counties with worse fans than Donegal.
    Ah now, I could name half a dozen off the top of my head that are worse.

Ah, all counties have thier share of eejits.
    Personally I always admired the Ulster fans because it means far more to them because of the political situation.
    Plus 26 of the counties would not have had to put up with the hassle the other 6 had to just to attend or play gaelic games.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I suppose I don't anymore. I've lived abroad for a long time now. But my memories of Donegal fans aren't very good.

I do, and have been for many many years.

Like every county Donegal has the odd eejit, but I have yet to hear Donegal supporters express the type of mass public vitriol by those of certain teams who have beaten Donegal after a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The wife rang tickets.ie half an hour ago. They're in discussions apparently with the GAA looking for them to release more.

Did try TM. No joy.

That's ridiculous. They knew how this was going to play out.

Ah, all counties have thier share of eejits.
    Personally I always admired the Ulster fans because it means far more to them because of the political situation.
    Plus 26 of the counties would not have had to put up with the hassle the other 6 had to just to attend or play gaelic games.

Well, f##k Armagh tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thats what they said. Ring them yourself, it's probably a standard excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Leave a minimum of two weeks to the semi`s and distribute the tickets through the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

Still bitter after Saturday, eh.
    Had to listen to a dose of one of your own, shouting to Jason Doherty to get up and stop his playacting. Looked like he was going to run out and pick him up of the ground himself. He was very quiet when the stretcher vehicle made its way on to the pitch. Didn't actually hear a peep from him for the rest of the match.

That could have been me, except I made plenty of noise after as well, thought he was play acting. Ball was barely in play the first 10 mins of second half with Mayo lying down everywhere to stop Donegal getting any momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

doc_17 wrote:
    That could have been me, except I made plenty of noise after as well, thought he was play acting. Ball was barely in play the first 10 mins of second half with Mayo lying down everywhere to stop Donegal getting any momentum.
    You thought wrong.

I'd say their limp tackles and plethora of wides stopped any Donegal momemtum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Today's ticket farce just goes to show how far the GAA top brass are away from the common GAA person. Always and forever semi final tickets were distributed through the clubs. What has changed so much that they can't do that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

BPKS wrote: »
    Today's ticket farce just goes to show how far the GAA top brass are away from the common GAA person. Always and forever semi final tickets were distributed through the clubs. What has changed so much that they can't do that now?

You’ll still get one through the club if you need, no?

I have always found that when it comes to the big games, that the people who should get them invariably do one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I have always found that when it comes to the big games, that the people who should get them invariably do one way or another.

And I have found that when it comes to the big games that people, such as my sister, who wouldn't know a sliothar from a football invariably get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin clubs had to place orders by Friday last before it was even known what day the match would be on! Some clubs placed no order and a lot of the people looking for tickets today were club members.

There were huge queues in both counties today. As well as online chaos. And ST holders "bring a friend" option was gone early on Monday.

Bad situation to be placing two of the best supported teams in the country.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thats what they said. Ring them yourself, it's probably a standard excuse.

Luckily for me I have an ST.

Dublin v Mayo is the biggest game in Irish sport atm with the 2 largest support based to boot.

It was always gonna be "busy" and like an AIF for the ticket scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Doesn't seem to be any on sale through the clubs in Kerry. We were told to go to tickets.ie or Supervalu.

I have STs but a rake of people I know couldnt get them online and what they were eventually offering in Supervalu were crap.

When you are getting people to sign up for club membership one of the advantages you tell them is they can apply for tickets to these games through the club. Now they are being told to stand in a shop for a few hours or wait online for hours til the system crashes.

Rather than the constant BS around dead rubbers, Sky etc somebody needs to start shouting about this ticket farce until the GAA sit and and take notice.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

BPKS wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be any on sale through the clubs in Kerry. We were told to go to tickets.ie or Supervalu.

I have STs but a rake of people I know couldnt get them online and what they were eventually offering in Supervalu were crap.

When you are getting people to sign up for club membership one of the advantages you tell them is they can apply for tickets to these games through the club. Now they are being told to stand in a shop for a few hours or wait online for hours til the system crashes.

Rather than the constant BS around dead rubbers, Sky etc somebody needs to start shouting about this ticket farce until the GAA sit and and take notice.

Rant over.

Yep, my own club posted on their social media accounts that tickets were online or in "selected" retail outlets.

Luckily a friend of mine works in an office so he was able to stay in the tickets.ie Q and got us tickets. Load of balls for ST holders though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Look at it from the GAA perspective. Club members are already in the camp. These high profile games give the opportunity to rope in new or casual fans. And they might end up sending new kids down the track.

There is plenty of opportunity for 'Real Fans' to be involved at other games.

I totally get the frustration but this is a massive PR event for the GAA so little point sticking to people already committed.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Look at it from the GAA perspective. Club members are already in the camp. These high profile games give the opportunity to rope in new or casual fans. And they might end up sending new kids down the track.

There is plenty of opportunity for 'Real Fans' to be involved at other games.

I totally get the frustration but this is a massive PR event for the GAA so little point sticking to people already committed.

No harm to you, but neither of the four counties in the two senior finals, or the Cork and Galway minors would be there if it wasn't for the people who keep the clubs going in those six counties.

I thought the Dublin club thing was just a bureaucratic brain fart over the fact the Bank Holiday but seems same applies to club members looking tkts in Kerry as well. And heard something about Mayo clubs too.

If club members in participating counties along with ST and county pass holders want tkts for big games then they should get them. No ifs and buts or maybes.

We're the ones who keep the show on the road not some smart ar$e who thinks they can sell out on line to people who go to one match a year and never darken a club door.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I agree with the sentiment but someone will always lose out.

The taxpayer puts loads into GAA, so do companies.

But the future of the GAA lies in continually refreshing the support base. The local GAA club president, coach, players, they are all already in.

Getting new fans into the best games of the year, in the best stadium, with the best facilities will, the plan anyway, lead to new fans.

I don't agree with it, but then it doesn't matter. I am still going to go to league games, watch my local club, coach, get my kids involved. Tickets to this game won't change that and the same us true across many GAA supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ticket shortage when all the bandwagoners come on board

Shock, horror

Ticket shortage when all the bandwagoners come on board

Shock, horror

Good thing it's being played in Croker so eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That comment is the boards equivalent of a good shoulder.
    Well played! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No harm to you, but neither of the four counties in the two senior finals, or the Cork and Galway minors would be there if it wasn't for the people who keep the clubs going in those six counties.

I thought the Dublin club thing was just a bureaucratic brain fart over the fact the Bank Holiday but seems same applies to club members looking tkts in Kerry as well. And heard something about Mayo clubs too.

If club members in participating counties along with ST and county pass holders want tkts for big games then they should get them. No ifs and buts or maybes.

We're the ones who keep the show on the road not some smart ar$e who thinks they can sell out on line to people who go to one match a year and never darken a club door.

Damn these people buying tickets for an all Ireland semi final when I sat in the pissing November rain in Down to watch the most miserable game of my life. The semi final should be restricted to 12000 dedicated Mayo fans, 3500 travelling Dubs, and 65,0000 pigeons. It's only fair.

Dublin get average of 20,000 for home league games, Mayo about half that, both counties have largest number of season and county pass holders. added to that club players and mentors in both counties who probably can't make too many games in the league. That's easily 50,000 people.

Once any of them have the option of getting a ticket, then let it be open season by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The idea that people should miss out because they're already hooked on GAA to attempt to attract new fans in doesnt sit well with me if that is what theyre at. What sort of organisation would prioritise randomers over their customers with no guarantee of anything back long term? Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Where else would Dublin get to play? :rolleyes:

They don't have a decent stadium of their own

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The idea that people should miss out because they're already hooked on GAA to attempt to attract new fans in doesnt sit well with me if that is what theyre at. What sort of organisation would prioritise randomers over their customers with no guarantee of anything back long term? Madness

That's actually a huge part of the Irish psyche. Just look at our treatment of tourists and visitors vs people who actually live in the country and make it what it is.

The fact that the Bring a Friend option for ST holders was so limited shouted to me that this was gonna be a shambles. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I bought tickets for myself and two of my kids. It now appears that the two boys won't be able to make the game. Does anybody know the easiest way to convert the two juvenile tickets into adult tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That's actually a huge part of the Irish psyche. Just look at our treatment of tourists and visitors vs people who actually live in the country and make it what it is.

The fact that the Bring a Friend option for ST holders was so limited shouted to me that this was gonna be a shambles. Again.

They have to limit it. If it was unlimited season ticket holders would control the ticket supply to big demand games. Between Dublin and Mayo they have nearly 20K season tick holders so if 5)% of them opted to bring the maximum number of friends 40K tickets would be swallowed up. In high demand games it would be a recipe for touting.

Slava Ukrainii

They have to limit it. If it was unlimited season ticket holders would control the ticket supply to big demand games. Between Dublin and Mayo they have nearly 20K season tick holders so if 5)% of them opted to bring the maximum number of friends 40K tickets would be swallowed up. In high demand games it would be a recipe for touting.

I'm in no way suggesting having unlimited access.

I'm saying that how they handled the BaF situation pointed to the rest of process being a bit of a sham.

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    I bought tickets for myself and two of my kids. It now appears that the two boys won't be able to make the game. Does anybody know the easiest way to convert the two juvenile tickets into adult tickets?

Walk in sheepishly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement