Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think the biggest impact of Sky is that people are talking less and less about GAA football games during the summer. I have really noticed that over the past couple of years. When all the big Provincial games and the Qualifiers were on RTE/TV3, I remember local people mad to chat about random games the following Monday/Tuesday. People would latch on to underdog counties going on a run or exciting young players making an impact. Now I find that the GAA championship is passing a lot of people by. They hear the results and tune into the draws but many GAA people have lost interest. Obviously they see the odd game still on RTE but the usual summer excitement and discourse has waned. It doesnt feel quite right anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Regardless of Sky, and I don't agree with the deal, RTE need to up their game if they're going to continue to whinge about it. They only show a few championship games a year, have no interest in club or underage competitions, prioritise hurling over all else, and then on top of it all, their punditry is piss poor. As someone said earlier in the thread, TG4 is actually the best channel for GAA and actually attempts to give fair coverage to different grades and competitions.
    Joe Brolly and all them getting their knickers in a twist about Sky would want to get their own house in order first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Think that is definitely true. Argument is that RTE would not be able to show all the games that Sky do, but i'm certain TG4 would be happy to take up slack.

It confirms overall impression that the championships are being downgraded. Competitions are compressed for no valid reason that I can see, and important games squeezed into narrow window at the end.

That is not how you get the most out of what is a popular brand especially when competing for audience and players with likes of EPL who saturate every fkn pore of the media from August to May, to the extent that even people like me who avoid it like the plague it is know way more than I should about it because it is on every sports and news programme in Ireland. They even interrupt big events in Irish sport from horse racing to Irish soccer to rugby, GAA, athletics to bring updates from some post industrial kip in England.

If I was that interested I would join the rest of the lobotomised in front of the TV.

GAA is competing with this cr@p and has surrendered a whole month to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

You sound like Donal Og - blaming the brits...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Brits are not responsible for our failings any more :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think the biggest impact of Sky is that people are talking less and less about GAA football games during the summer. I have really noticed that over the past couple of years. When all the big Provincial games and the Qualifiers were on RTE/TV3, I remember local people mad to chat about random games the following Monday/Tuesday. People would latch on to underdog counties going on a run or exciting young players making an impact. Now I find that the GAA championship is passing a lot of people by. They hear the results and tune into the draws but many GAA people have lost interest. Obviously they see the odd game still on RTE but the usual summer excitement and discourse has waned. It doesnt feel quite right anymore.

Indeed you are correct. My own opinion is that The GAA championship has been sewn up by 5-6 counties. Two provinces are dead ducks and to be fair, Ulster and connacht has been dominated by two and three teams respectively this decade. The romance of a brilliant run in the qualifiers for a weaker county now seems to be dead. Fermanagh and sligo in 02 and 04 brought some colour to the championship and wider public. Like 6 weeks ago, meath were hammered in a leinster final and you had people saying they done well etc. It sort of summed of Gaelic football considering how great a footballing county meath where. The championship fever isn't what it used to be.

Since 2011, the only counties outside donegal Tyrone Mayo and Kerry dublin to play in a semi final have been cork, tipperary, Monaghan and galway. These 5 teams are so far ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    You sound like Donal Og - blaming the brits...

Well, they have a tendency to be "at it" tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’d say Dublin will take Mayo out fairly handy this Saturday. Hope I’m wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

PressRun wrote: »
    Joe Brolly and all them getting their knickers in a twist about Sky would want to get their own house in order first.

Joe Brolly and the others are freelancers who offer an opinion, nothing more. I wouldn’t be expecting them to govern internal RTÉ programming policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

C__MC wrote: »
    Indeed you are correct. My own opinion is that The GAA championship has been sewn up by 5-6 counties. Two provinces are dead ducks and to be fair, Ulster and connacht has been dominated by two and three teams respectively this decade. The romance of a brilliant run in the qualifiers for a weaker county now seems to be dead. Fermanagh and sligo in 02 and 04 brought some colour to the championship and wider public. Like 6 weeks ago, meath were hammered in a leinster final and you had people saying they done well etc. It sort of summed of Gaelic football considering how great a footballing county meath where. The championship fever isn't what it used to be.

Since 2011, the only counties outside donegal Tyrone Mayo and Kerry dublin to play in a semi final have been cork, tipperary, Monaghan and galway. These 5 teams are so far ahead of the rest.

This does appear to be the nature of competitive sport even internationally, that a small number of teams with the resources to keep it going tend to be to the fore. Between 1957 and 1998 only three counties won the Leinster championship. During this time only two won Munster, and while four won Connacht one of them won it only once. All Ireland semi finalists were being pulled from a fairly limited pool back the years too. It is not a new phenomenon. That’s not to say that it’s desirable but it might be a problem beyond solving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Paulzx wrote: »
    ...but weren't TV3 showing matches at that stage? From memory they were the ones who lost out to Sky...............so RTE already had competition

That`s true, but were there not noises that with Virgin Media taking over TV3 there was no interest in showing games.

In fact didn`t Virgin Media withdraw the us of it`s platform to Setanta who were showing Alliance League games.
    When it came to tendering for games, they don`t seem like a crowd that were going to worry RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Think that is definitely true. Argument is that RTE would not be able to show all the games that Sky do, but i'm certain TG4 would be happy to take up slack.

It confirms overall impression that the championships are being downgraded. Competitions are compressed for no valid reason that I can see, and important games squeezed into narrow window at the end.

That is not how you get the most out of what is a popular brand especially when competing for audience and players with likes of EPL who saturate every fkn pore of the media from August to May, to the extent that even people like me who avoid it like the plague it is know way more than I should about it because it is on every sports and news programme in Ireland. They even interrupt big events in Irish sport from horse racing to Irish soccer to rugby, GAA, athletics to bring updates from some post industrial kip in England.

If I was that interested I would join the rest of the lobotomised in front of the TV.

GAA is competing with this cr@p and has surrendered a whole month to it.

Well said and TG4 could easily take up the slack on games, and would be delighted to do so I imagine.
    Problem would be that with the money coming out of the same pot, you would be back to the days of RTE paying whatever pittance they decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Joe Brolly and the others are freelancers who offer an opinion, nothing more. I wouldn’t be expecting them to govern internal RTÉ programming policy.

Joe Brolly is one of the contributers to piss poor punditry that I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Powerhouse wrote: »
    This does appear to be the nature of competitive sport even internationally, that a small number of teams with the resources to keep it going tend to be to the fore. Between 1957 and 1998 only three counties won the Leinster championship. During this time only two won Munster, and while four won Connacht one of them won it only once. All Ireland semi finalists were being pulled from a fairly limited pool back the years too. It is not a new phenomenon. That’s not to say that it’s desirable but it might be a problem beyond solving.

4 won Leinster. The usual suspects of Dublin, Meath and Offaly, plus a sole Longford win in 1968.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

I have a feeling mayo will come on strong against us. I think when we play Mayo no matter how tired the panel may be they will summon energy to try get over the line.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

4 won Leinster. The usual suspects of Dublin, Meath and Offaly, plus a sole Longford win in 1968.

And all 5 won Connacht. And 3 won Munster.

I have a feeling mayo will come on strong against us. I think when we play Mayo no matter how tired the panel may be they will summon energy to try get over the line.

They may come on strong but will probably run out of steam which is understandable after a longer season than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I wouldn't be worried that Mayo will run out of steam, simply that Dublin are better than they are.

It was a great result at the weekend, but Donegal played poorly. Of course Mayo played a massive part in that and Dublin could suffer the same poor performance level, but if Dublin play well I cannot see how Mayo can beat them.

It's not about fitness, Dublin have a better panel.

Of course there is always the chance, that is the beauty of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Please tell me that Mayo Dublin is on rte this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

lawred2 wrote: »
    It is, and it's on Sky too.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried that Mayo will run out of steam, simply that Dublin are better than they are.

It was a great result at the weekend, but Donegal played poorly. Of course Mayo played a massive part in that and Dublin could suffer the same poor performance level, but if Dublin play well I cannot see how Mayo can beat them.

It's not about fitness, Dublin have a better panel.

Of course there is always the chance, that is the beauty of sport.

Yes they do but at this late stage in championship anything is more likely to happen. Remember we believed our own hype and Donegal pipped us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yes they do but at this late stage in championship anything is more likely to happen. Remember we believed our own hype and Donegal pipped us.

For the first 20min of that game though, the hype was justified. Then Dermo missed that goal chance and that was that and Donegal rallied.

For the first 20min of that game though, the hype was justified. Then Dermo missed that goal chance and that was that and Donegal rallied.

Justified? I don't think so. Players were doing PAs in the run up to itike they were superstars and McHugh ate us alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

lawred2 wrote: »

Mayo Dublin is on RTE this weekend

Semis and final are on both RTE and SKY
    I will be at it but I will also record it. On SKY. Because I want analysis from lads who have played in the modern era not soundbites, cliches and drivel from lazy bitter dinosaurs
    But they keep getting the viewing figures so why change eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

Justified? I don't think so. Players were doing PAs in the run up to itike they were superstars and McHugh ate us alive.

Ah come on for 20 minutes, Dublin destroyed donegal.
    Quick football and beautiful finishing. Connolly and Brogan missed two sitters to kill the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Kildare won it in 1998 too I think.

C__MC wrote: »

Ah come on for 20 minutes, Dublin destroyed donegal.
    Quick football and beautiful finishing. Connolly and Brogan missed two sitters to kill the game.

We started well I'm not denying that but Jesus the hype wasn't warranted in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭doc_17

Dublin were kicking very fine long range points against Donegal that day and we’re never going to keep that up. If Connolly has got that goal chance then I’d say Donegal were goosed. But he didn’t. Could be going for 7 in a row this weekend!

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo Dublin is on RTE this weekend

Semis and final are on both RTE and SKY
    I will be at it but I will also record it. On SKY. Because I want analysis from lads who have played in the modern era not soundbites, cliches and drivel from lazy bitter dinosaurs
    But they keep getting the viewing figures so why change eh?

I've seen it all with this post. You are recording a game to watch the pundits.
    Maybe in future you won't bother watch the game at all and tune in just for the pundits?

If you need pundits to tell you about gaelic football, then its probably not the sport for you. Most people are perfectly able to interpret and analyse a game of football without a couple of has-beens explaining it to them.

As for played the game recently, Conor McManus, Ciaran Whelan, Thomas O'Se and others have played the game in modern times, more modern than some of the SKY pundits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

doc_17 wrote: »
    Dublin we’re kicking very fine long range points against Donegal that day and we’re never going to keep that up. If Connolly has got that goal chance then I’d say Donegal were goosed. But he didn’t. Could be going for 7 in a row this weekend!

Can you image the amount of boards accounts that would have been set up if we were going for 7 in a row :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement