Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've seen it all with this post. You are recording a game to watch the pundits.
    Maybe in future you won't bother watch the game at all and tune in just for the pundits?

If you need pundits to tell you about gaelic football, then its probably not the sport for you. Most people are perfectly able to interpret and analyse a game of football without a couple of has-beens explaining it to them.

As for played the game recently, Conor McManus, Ciaran Whelan, Thomas O'Se and others have played the game in modern times, more modern than some of the SKY pundits.

I am recording the game to rewatch the game
    And then listen to 2 lads who have won recent enough all Ireland’s and who I greatly respect ANALYSE the respective performances. Peter Canavan and Kieran Donaghy LOL . I wish they had played a few games for Mayo and that’s the truth .
    It’s exactly this kind of mindset that means RTE will not change their set up for the live games. They don’t need to !!! ToBeFrank about it I am not arrogant enough to think that Canavan and Donaghy do not see things that I would have missed at the match

I will also watch the Sunday game to listen to the guys you have mentioned above. Cos that’s what they are on . The Sunday Game .

If they were on the rte panel for live games instead of Joe Brolly , Pat Spillane and to a lesser extent Colm O Rourke then I would record that instead .
    In fact maybe RTE could do worse than look at what is done on The Sunday Game and learn from that .
    Except the presenter of course . But we can’t have it all

Hope that clears it up for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

I don't see the big issue with Skys coverage. I like Donaghey and Canavan on it, I liked McGuinness and Horan on it, all in all it's grand. A bit of a pain that you've to pay for it but sure look it.

I think Ciaran Whelan is excellent (if not a teensy bit boring) and Tomas O Se seems a smart man also. I don't see how this coverage craic has to come down to an either/or, where you either like Sky and think RTE's rubbish or vice versa. In fact, I think RTE's coverage would be very good if would sack off Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke for people who actually want to talk about the game. They've got rid of Lyster for Cantwell, and in time the 3 Musketeers will drop off also.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

km79 wrote: »
    And then listen to 2 lads who have won recent enough all Ireland’s and who I greatly respect ANALYSE the respective performances. Peter Canavan and Kieran Donaghy LOL . I wish they had played a few games for Mayo and that’s the truth .
    It’s exactly this kind of mindset that means RTE will not change their set up for the live games. They don’t need to !!! ToBeFrank about it I am not arrogant enough to think that Canavan and Donaghy do not see things that I would have missed at the match

I will also watch the Sunday game to listen to the guys you have mentioned above. Cos that’s what they are on . The Sunday Game .

If they were on the rte panel for live games instead of Joe Brolly , Pat Spillane and to a lesser extent Colm O Rourke then I would record that instead .
    In fact maybe RTE could do worse than look at what is done on The Sunday Game and learn from that .

You are depending on Donaghy who spent his career as the modern equivalent of The Bomber for your understanding of the game?

Canavan won his last AI in 2005.

Ciaran McManus, Colm Cooper, Thomas O'Se and Ciaran Whelan have all played more recently than Canavan. And also I'd respect their opinion far more than Donaghy. They've also won numerous AIs between them. Kevin McStay also had a long and distinguished career in management in modern times, more so than anyone on Sky lately.

You haven't cleared anything up I'm afraid.

All you are doing it making the case for the GAA being behind a paywall, out of the reach of 90% of fans. Which is pretty shameful. And using the pathetic reason of punditry to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah Canavan is awful lads. And while I know Senan Connell well enough, and he's an ok dude, he's useless on d'telly!
    And don't get me started on Carney, has he ever played the fecking game??

Losing Horan was a blow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

You are depending on Donaghy who spent his career as the modern equivalent of The Bomber for your understanding of the game?

Ciaran McManus, Colm Cooper, Thomas O'Se and Ciaran Whelan have all played more recently than Canavan. And also I'd respect their opinion far more than Donaghy. They've also won numerous AIs between them. Kevin McStay also had a long and distinguished career in management in modern times, more so than anyone on Sky lately.

I don't get your comparison with modern day all Ireland and past all Ireland's. No matter when you won an A.I you will be respected, people may not value your opinion if they disagree with you but that's just that an opinion. There is no difference from John O Leary to Cian O Sullivan

• Advertisement

I don't get your comparison with modern day all Ireland and past all Ireland's. No matter when you won an A.I you will be respected, people may not value your opinion if they disagree with you but that's just that an opinion. There is no difference from John O Leary to Cian O Sullivan

It wasn't me who highlighted when people won AIs, it was km79. He said he preferred pundits who played the game recently. I listed 4 on rte who played it more recently than Canavan. His other favourite pundit is Donaghy, a kick and catch merchant who wouldn't look out of place in the 1960s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

It wasn't me who highlighted when people won AIs, it was km79. He said he preferred pundits who played the game recently. I listed 4 on rte who played it more recently than Canavan. His other favourite pundit is Donaghy, a kick and catch merchant who wouldn't look out of place in the 1960s.

4 All irelands 3 all stars and multiple munsters

All you are doing it making the case for the GAA being behind a paywall, out of the reach of 90% of fans. Which is pretty shameful. And using the pathetic reason of punditry to do this.

Again
    All of those rte pundits are on THE SUNDAY GAME
    And again I agree they are excellent and relevant
    Again I am referring to the live studio panel which at a guess for Saturday’s game will be Brolly , Spillane and O’Rourke

I am making the case that RTE should have upped their live game analysis when TV3/Skysports took games from them
    But they continue with the same lazy analysis week after week .
    It’s easy to see why I suppose
    People would rather lap up Brollys soundbites and Spillanes yerrasims it seems .

There would be nothing to stop them doing what the more modern era pundits do ? But they don’t need to so why would though !
    Lazy tired format for me
    I skip it or don’t watch it if I’m tuning in for a live game
    I would however watch it on sky and the Sunday Game

Sorry for wanting better .

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

If 1998 is included, Kildare is also missing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Donaghy was much more than a kick and catch merchant. Mind you catching and high catching is one of the most sought after skills in the game. While not the most mobile or fastest he played midfield as well at county level. His huge strength was his distribution and had very quick hands and huge vision whichever made him invaluable around the square. Was hughly influencial in two seasons where Jerry won All Ireland's. Won his place on the Kerry team by being one of two outstanding players on a reality TV football program. Seemed to have been a huge leader on that Kerry team as well. While you may not like him you have to respect him. If in his hey day again would get his place on any present county team Dublin included.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Again
    All of those rte pundits are on THE SUNDAY GAME
    And again I agree they are excellent and relevant
    Again I am referring to the live studio panel which at a guess for Saturday’s game will be Brolly , Spillane and O’Rourke

I am making the case that RTE should have upped their live game analysis when TV3/Skysports took games from them
    But they continue with the same lazy analysis week after week .
    It’s easy to see why I suppose
    People would rather lap up Brollys soundbites and Spillanes yerrasims it seems .

There would be nothing to stop them doing what the more modern era pundits do ? But they don’t need to so why would though !
    Lazy tired format for me
    I skip it or don’t watch it if I’m tuning in for a live game
    I would however watch it on sky and the Sunday Game

Sorry for wanting better .

And we're discussing pundits again, not the actual game. Enjoy watching your pundits behind the paywall. Make sure the armchair is comfortable.

FFS. No wonder Gaelic football is dying. When people are more interested in what the pundits say than the actual game itself.

And we're discussing pundits again, not the actual game. Enjoy watching your pundits behind the paywall. Make sure the armchair is comfortable.

FFS. No wonder Gaelic football is dying. When people are more interested in what the pundits say than the actual game itself.

Ill be at the match .
    They are talking about the game .
    I like listening to what they have to say and educating myself on the game as I am an underage coach too .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I have played, coached and watched gaelic football for years. I really enjoy the punditry and analysis on the radio, podcasts, newspaper and on the telly.
    If you need pundits to tell you about gaelic football, then its probably not the sport for you.

I am not arrogant enough to think that I can't learn anything from pundits. For instance, I really enjoyed the piece in the Irish Times by Donoghue where he analysed the likely marking jobs in the big game on Saturday. I didn't know a lot of the points that were raised. So he told me about gaelic football I suppose. Gaelic football most definitely is the sport for me, however.

I would agree with the point that the panelists covering the live games on RTÉ are pretty poor. I also agree that Sky are a little bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

C__MC wrote: »
    Ah come on for 20 minutes, Dublin destroyed donegal.
    Quick football and beautiful finishing. Connolly and Brogan missed two sitters to kill the game.

Yeah, probably the most misunderstood game of all time. The opening 20 minutes was some of the best football I've ever seen

Connolly's sitter prevented Dublin winning by 10 plus.

Dublin have naturally tightened up considerably since so I can't see a similar freak occurrence happening to this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

You're so far off base and objectively wrong on this it's probably best to just apologise and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

Getting significantly sidetracked from the primary purpose of this thread.

There is ample room for discussion of punditry and relative merits of RTE and SKY coverage in a separate thread or this thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057901332

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Kick and catch merchant from the 60’s? Lol. You are utterly clueless lad

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Anyone who thinks Donaghy was just a kick and catch merchant obviously hasn't a clue about the nuances of the game at that level, and that’s coming from a Dublin gaa supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Justified? I don't think so. Players were doing PAs in the run up to itike they were superstars and McHugh ate us alive.

It wasn't hype. They'd won the previous AI. Then went on and stuck 4 in a row.

Just because you get beaten it doesn't mean that all the positive things written about a team is hype.

They played well, then Donegal did very well. A Donegal team that were the champions the year before, a very good team.

But I really don't know how you could call it hype given what the team had achieved before and after it.

I've posted on this before. Donegal figured the style out, but it had delivered completely the year before.

Some of these players have won 6 AIs, if some of them are not the superstars of football than very very few have a chance of being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

doc_17 wrote: »
    Dublin were kicking very fine long range points against Donegal that day and we’re never going to keep that up. If Connolly has got that goal chance then I’d say Donegal were goosed. But he didn’t. Could be going for 7 in a row this weekend!

Not a chance.

I've said it before, losing that 2014 SF is what catapulted the team to the edge of greatness. The changes that were instigated after that loss are what we now see before us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Not a chance.

I've said it before, losing that 2014 SF is what catapulted the team to the edge of greatness. The changes that were instigated after that loss are what we now see before us.

No doubt. Up to that game Dublin were playing free flowing YOLO football, it was fiercely entertaining and gave us some great games, I’ll never forget the 2013 same with Kerry for example.

They have become a much more systematic and methodical outfit since. They can still play that attractive kick passing game when it is on but they are not afraid to hand pass you to death either. There is a game plan for every situation. It’s incredible for an amateur team really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ciaran McManus, Colm Cooper, Thomas O'Se and Ciaran Whelan have all played more recently than Canavan. And also I'd respect their opinion far more than Donaghy. They've also won numerous AIs between them.
    Thats pretty disingenuous when half of them haven't won an AI at all.
    jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah, probably the most misunderstood game of all time. The opening 20 minutes was some of the best football I've ever seen

Connolly's sitter prevented Dublin winning by 10 plus.

They really should have. Five years later and I still can't believe they lost that game, they were absolutely toying with Donegal and I think if that game was played 10 times Dublin would have hammered them in 9 of them.

Instead they switched off and got caught on the hop.

No doubt. Up to that game Dublin were playing free flowing YOLO football, it was fiercely entertaining and gave us some great games, I’ll never forget the 2013 same with Kerry for example.

They have become a much more systematic and methodical outfit since. They can still play that attractive kick passing game when it is on but they are not afraid to hand pass you to death either. There is a game plan for every situation. It’s incredible for an amateur team really.

I prefer this non "YOLO" football.

I didn't enjoy the heart attacks Dublin gave me. That being said, Mayo seemingly make us forget the method. So the heart attacks will return.

I prefer this non "YOLO" football.

I didn't enjoy the heart attacks Dublin gave me. That being said, Mayo seemingly make is forget the method. So the heart attacks will return.
    In Mayo we refer to it as "Horan ball"

Not a chance.

Yeh in hindsight McGuinness and Donegal highlighted some glaring flaws in Dublins defending which once patched up made them all but unbeatable.

McGuinness was the last to figure out how to beat Dublin and he gave them an invaluable football lesson that day.

If for example Mayo, Tyrone or Kerry beat them, people might have said, fair enough, beaten by a very good team or better footballers. Donegal however exposed flaws in the way they played football. It was like a stress test which they learned a lot from!

Gavin learns from previous games and is constantly learning. He has probably learned that Connolly is as likely to get red or black carded as score the winning goal or point as another example.

Thats pretty disingenuous when half of them haven't won an AI at all.

They really should have. Five years later and I still can't believe they lost that game, they were absolutely toying with Donegal and I think if that game was played 10 times Dublin would have hammered them in 9 of them.

Instead they switched off and got caught on the hop.

They were systematically taken apart by Donegal. Dubs should be grateful for that lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus that 2013 Kerry game was fantastic - I did not could not enjoy it though was too nervous at the the time - there was no time to relax 90 mile an hour stuff. Then afterwards when I rewatched it I thought that was one of the best games ever! The Gooch's game really.

Not a chance.

2014 was the nice kick in the @rse that Dublin needed. No way would have evolved as well without it.

Dublin football should be thanking the two - Jim's McGuinness and Gavin.
    Oh and Christy Toye as well!

I hope this Mayo game is up there with Mayo v Dublin 06, 13, 16, 17 in particular.

I would like to see Mayo put on a good show.
    It might finally be the last game for a lot of those Mayo veterans?
    And at the back of my mind I am thinking that a dying wasp can sting ya if you are not careful.

But the impression I get is that Mayo fans do not seem to have thier normal air of expectation this time?

It is up to those Mayo lads to make them ask why they doubted them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭C__MC

People always speak about 2016 and 2017 between the dubs and mayo and that mayo should have won

Always think myself in 2013, mayo blew it

C__MC wrote: »
    People always speak about 2016 and 2017 between the dubs and mayo and that mayo should have won

Always think myself in 2013, mayo blew it

Yup. 2013 was really the one that got away to my mind. It was also oddly the most calm I've actually been at an AIF. I still knew in my head that they'd fupp it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

One disadvantage on the 6 day turn around, we had it last year too. The build up is too short.

We don't even get a one Sunday paper of rubbish same stuff different day stuff to read.

Kerry Tyrone is going under the radar altogether.

Anyway it's missing, even here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement